Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ellen: Stop Pulling The Rosie Heterosexual Card

I've about had it with her fawning over male guests, thanking them for going naked, etc. She's even getting up close to their abs, and making playful sexual advances. Now she's behind male underwear campaigns. Why is she doing this? Is she trying to appeal to fraus? It's really sad. Totally pathetic. Howard Stern was even going off on here. I know bringing him up is a bit random, but he has a point. He hated Rosie over this. They're BFFs now. This is Rosie's love for John Travolta all over again.

Ellen, stop selling out. I'm not saying she needs to remind people she's a dyke 24/7, but stop trying to be less threatening. If she didn't fawn over the male guests/models, I wouldn't say a word. She's now playing up possible heterosexuality on her part, over homosexuality. Either leave sex out of the equation, or play up the homosexuality. She and Jodie Foster have gotten on my last nerve. Ellen never fawns over female guests.

If you haven't watched her show enough, just STFU. Homosexual viewers will tell you exactly what I'm saying. And yes, I know she's talked about gay issues on the show before, but she's pulling the straight shit 95% of the time, and it's blatant.

by Anonymousreply 7712/07/2014

Video: Ellen's Live Underwear Commercial

Absolutely sickening. She is such a sell out.

by Anonymousreply 103/01/2013

I admit if Ellen swooned over female guests the way Letterman and Fallon do on a regular basis, it would be disconcerting because it would be so out of character for her. Ellen is already enormously wealthy, but I'm wondering if she's being blamed for JC Penney's nose dive and if she's worried about her marketability.

by Anonymousreply 203/01/2013

That video isn't appealing to fraus...it's appealing to ME!

by Anonymousreply 303/01/2013

The majority of people that watch Ellen's program are straight women. Of course she is appealing to fraus, those are her viewers. If it wasn't a show that straight women enjoyed watching she would have never been successful.

She is an out lesbian, that doesn't mean she has to cater a show for a gay audience.

by Anonymousreply 503/01/2013

Ellen is a Good Gay -- one that doesn't provoke the skittish straight people.

by Anonymousreply 703/01/2013

Most of her audience is straight fraus, THEY want to see scantily clad hunks, not her. What's wrong with giving them what they want? Rosie just kept kissing her desktop Tommy picture, to pose as a hetero plain Jane pining away for an unattainable movie hunk. Not really comparable. Rosie had no intention of coming out, she thought it was career suicide. That's what she thought about Ellen coming out. Rosie had to be dragged out kicking and screaming. And she's never admitted the Tommy crap WAS her attempt to pose as straight.

And Howard Stern, please. I like Howard, especially when he rips celebs, but the problem here is anything he says about Ellen is tainted. He has a personal grudge against her, she threatened to quit American Idol if they hired him. So of course he hates her and is going to take any opportunity to slam her. I watch the show though, and she's plenty out, there's gay jokes/references in nearly every episode.

by Anonymousreply 803/01/2013

I'm a straight woman, not necessarily a frau, but when I watch Ellen subtley putting the fawning over a male guest, it kinda icks me out because I know she's a lesbian and I don't think she's would do that sort of thing naturally. Not just fawn over straight men but I don't think she'd leech over other lesbians either. I generally like her show.

by Anonymousreply 903/01/2013

She talks frequently on her show about Portia and about the fact that they are married, as do a lot of her guests. She's not trying to hide anything, she's very open. She's going along with the scantily-clad male bit because it's appealing to most of her audience...even I find it amusing and I'm a gay man.

It would be career suicide for her to oogle over women's bodies on her show, just as it would be for a gay male celebrity to oogle over men's bodies on a major network show. It just wouldn't fly.

Another point to be considered: I consider myself 100% gay, but I find a lot of women's bodies to be very sexy. I may not be turned on by them, but I can appreciate a good body, whether it be male or female.

Ellen is not trying to fool anyone, so give it a rest. I think she's great.

by Anonymousreply 1003/01/2013

Piss off, OP. Just maintaining an out presence in the media does much for our community. She's wise if she plays to a phobic audience in a way that lets them subtly accept homosexuality over time. Societal change does not happen overnight. You simply won't see phobes able to watch gays fawning over each other at this point.

And it's nice for straights to see that lesbians can be "normal" and not sexualized every moment. It reminds them that LGBT are people just like they are, with a full range of traits not limited to fucking and orientation.

And who is to say she isn't just being who she really is? Maybe she's just playful in general? Maybe she isn't with women because it could be construed as emotional cheating by her wife.

by Anonymousreply 1103/01/2013

Ellen's ashamed to be associated with dykes like R6... Can't say I blame her.

by Anonymousreply 1203/01/2013

The only opinion I have of Ellen is professional: Her show sucks. It alternates between disposable fluff and utter crap.

by Anonymousreply 1303/01/2013

Daytime talk-shows have always been fluff, going back to Merv and Dinah. Ellen's just doing the current version of those shows. It's just supposed to be lite entertainment for fraus taking a break from housework. She does get plenty of big stars on though, and her show is as good as any other celebrity interview show. She's a lot less annoying than any of the male nighttime hosts, as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 1403/01/2013

Daytime TV focuses on straight women, not straight men, so why would she hit on female guest or models??

by Anonymousreply 1503/01/2013

She knows the demographic that is going to be watching her show. Straight women and gay men primarily.

by Anonymousreply 1603/01/2013

I've always thought that Ellen likes dudes too.

by Anonymousreply 1703/01/2013

[quote]This is Rosie's love for John Travolta all over again.

Was this a thing? I thought it was Tom Cruise, her Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 1803/01/2013

Oh my god, you drama queens. She does it with men only because it's safe, everybody knows it's not sexual.

She can't hit on women because her female audience would _hate_ it and would find it disrespectful to Portia. She's married and Portia is mentionned at every turn, she even does "Portia's birthday" shows now.

And when women hit on her she gets visibly embarassed and blushes (see Sharon Stone for the best example of that) She doesn't handle it well and I find it hilarious, she downplays it immediately.

Finally, she does play with lesbian guests with funny innuendos (ex, Jodie Foster last time she was on with her treats in her pants)

Calling her a sellout is absolutely ridiculous.

[quote]I've always thought that Ellen likes dudes too.

Then you're blind and clueless. However, she's always been crazy into Sharon.

by Anonymousreply 1903/01/2013

It's the fraus who want Ellen to fawn over men! No, it's the fraus who are mad at the attention given premised people! Fraus!

by Anonymousreply 2003/01/2013

R19 has it right. What the fuck is wrong with you OP? She gets embarrassed when celebs flirt with her, she does tease some of the female guests she knows (like r19 said Jodie being one) and she talks about Portia all the time but being a married woman, Ooverly flirting with other women might be a little much.

Are you that insecure over your homosexuality that you have to attack those who aren't? and wtf does Jodie have to do with this? God forbid gays don't play by your rules..

by Anonymousreply 2103/01/2013

Ellen has been out the whole tenure of her show. And she speaks of Portia a lot. The difference is (the '90's ) when Rosie wasn't out. I don't mind her flirtation with men at all/

by Anonymousreply 2203/01/2013

She actually acts standoffish with male guests, but she appreciates attractiveness like any other human. It's just instinctual. Not like she's going to blow him in the Green Room.

Stop the Michfest penishate.

by Anonymousreply 2303/01/2013

"She's now playing up possible heterosexuality on her part, over homosexuality."

Now she isn't, you cretin. I hope you've read the wise responses in this thread (as opposed to the idiotic ones) and that you now understand what Ellen is ACTUALLY doing.

by Anonymousreply 2403/01/2013

Did Arsenio ever pull the white card?

by Anonymousreply 2503/01/2013

[quote]Piss off, OP. Just maintaining an out presence in the media does much for our community.

It does the opposite. She's hiding her sexual orientation as to not turn people off. She's better off not bringing sex into the picture, than pretending to be a heterosexual woman.

Many of you have not watched her show enough. She is one step away from telling the male guests that she masturbates to them. She starts screaming for them to take off their shirts, and thanking them for being nude, and telling them never to dress. She puts her face next to their abs too. It's revolting, and I'm not a dyke. I'm a gay man who finds it sickening that we still have people like Ellen representing us in such an old-school way.

I love how many dumb self-loathing quacks are in this thread.

Howard Stern is right.

Deal with reality. Stop supporting fucking sellouts!

by Anonymousreply 2603/01/2013

Amateurs. I would never do something like that.

by Anonymousreply 2703/01/2013

The underwear ad is lovely.

Making a man into a sex object and playing the whole idea is fun.

Women have been made into sex objects since forever. Ellen doing it to a men is welcome. She did it humor and style.

I am so bored with the finger-waving tight-assed "tsk-tsk queens"... the homosexual equivalent of Michele Bachman. They remind me of the old Lilly Tomlyn character "The Taste Lady" with a dose of Debbie Downer. They've got their "Gay Bible to Proper Gay Behavior" always at the ready.

----

I prefer men... but I love seeing people mixing it up and blurring boundries: THAT is modern ...and that is where young people are going.

Most of this black-or-white homo/hetero one-or-the-other crap is old and on the way out.

by Anonymousreply 2803/01/2013

Excuse me, Miss Oprah at R27. But, I was first. You stole my schtick.

by Anonymousreply 2903/01/2013

Gays are a minority OP. Ellen has to conform to the norm for ratings etc. Minorities are constantly trying to assimilate/conform to the norm as a way to comfort the majority. Now you understand how black people feel in corporate settings. We have to always downplay our blackness in order to appear non-threatening and conform to the lily white ideal. Ever notice how ebonics and the "sistagirl" accent only come out when we see one of our own? Oprah does that especially. With any black guest, she brings out the sassy "mmmm hmmm, girlfriend!" but she speaks like the guy on the 6:00 news with any other guest.

by Anonymousreply 3003/01/2013

R29, Phil Donawho? Yes, I stole your mojo but what are you gonna do about it? You snooze, you lose. Kiss my fat ass.

by Anonymousreply 3103/01/2013

R30 wrote "We have to always downplay our blackness in order to appear non-threatening and conform to the lily white ideal."

As well should anyone who wants to be successful.

You honestly think whites don't work to mask a course accent?

There are business settings where a heavy duty Jersey accent ...or Eubonics... just don't work.

Trying to fit into the social norm of well-spoken English is just another form of self improvement.

by Anonymousreply 3203/01/2013

(sorry for the typos...rushing...)

by Anonymousreply 3303/01/2013

[quote]Gays are a minority OP. Ellen has to conform to the norm for ratings etc.

That's right. She's doing a good job.

by Anonymousreply 3403/03/2013

Ellen is a fit lesbian dominant and they very much appreciate muscular men. Does no one know this?

Athletic lesbians admire muscular men in ways that are not sexual. It's like when e.f.f.e.m.i.n.a.t.e gay men admire attractive, feminine women.

by Anonymousreply 3503/03/2013

I agree with OP, what Ellen is doing is disgusting. As a proud lesbian, it is an affront to me and the gay community. Stop it, Ellen, just stop.

by Anonymousreply 3603/03/2013

Do all of you actually think Ellen comes up with the stupid shit she does on her show? Of course not, she has a staff that comes up with it and they cater to the show's demographic, frumpy housewives who want to see hot male models while they're folding their fat husband's laundry.

by Anonymousreply 3703/03/2013

So Ellen comes out of the closet and hosts a daytime talk show as an out and proud lesbian who constantly brings up her wife but OP isn't happy because Ellen's not gay enough when she playfully flirts with her male guests.

This is why we can't have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 3803/03/2013

REALLY, R36, is it that important to you?! It's funny and wonderful to see fit, muscular people on t.v.

wow, you people have no sense of humor, at all.

by Anonymousreply 3903/03/2013

[quote]It's like when e.f.f.e.m.i.n.a.t.e gay men admire attractive, feminine women.

OMG, r35! You used THE word. Webbie must be plotzing.

by Anonymousreply 4003/03/2013

"Stop the Michfest penishate."

AKA how dare you demand you show real lesbianism on a TV show.

You queens are the same ones bitching over the lack of gay male affection on TV shows and how whitewashed they are. So shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 4103/03/2013

I think this is a stretch, OP.

She has to appeal to an audience that's probably 70-80% straight women.

I'll agree that *FEATURING* sexy men, versus fawning over them, is two very different things.

But I also think her audience knows she does the lez lez, supports her, and sees her as sort of a party hostess.

And party hostess = lighthearted, uncomplicated, silly.

It's all an act, anyway - she's about as "nice" as Rosie is in real life. TV is all commercial and bitches will do just about anything for a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 4203/03/2013

While I can't stomach Tom Cruise, how was Rosie's Cruise fandom any different from gay men's total idol worship of Judy, Liza, etc.? Did you never notice the way gay men carry on at a Liza concert?

by Anonymousreply 4303/03/2013

I hate that people, like always, come in and argue against something the OP NEVER said. He/she didn't say she tries to hide being gay, they never said she should make the show more gay-oriented, so stop arguing against something that wasn't said.

It's dishonest. Sometimes I think people get stuff in their minds and don't even read the actual post.

by Anonymousreply 4403/03/2013

P.S.

I'm not saying you should agree but disagree with what's actually being said.

by Anonymousreply 4503/03/2013

That's hat people are doing you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 4603/03/2013

"she does the lez lez"

How old are you? 12?

by Anonymousreply 4703/03/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4803/03/2013

R47, it's a Datalounge saying.

If you weren't so busy eating the feces of homeless people, perhaps you'd know.

by Anonymousreply 4903/03/2013

[quote]I loathe angry dykes

I loathe people who loathe dykes in particular.

by Anonymousreply 5003/03/2013

Her head writer is a gay guy. Also a couple of straight women on her writing team. She's catering to a soccer mom audience. It kind of figures that she's going to have a lot of guys with their shirts off on the show. Any time she snuggles up to these guys, I think she's doing it for the laughs and as a kind of wink to the audience. I've seen her check out and flirt with female guests. Lord, watch her interviews with Christina Applegate - wouldn't be surprised if Portia had banned that woman from the show.

by Anonymousreply 5103/03/2013

[quote] Ellen's Live Underwear Commercial

Weird. Totally weird. And the snuggle up at the end is very odd.

by Anonymousreply 5203/03/2013

Ellen is a mean old cunt

by Anonymousreply 5303/03/2013

JHC. If if an out gay male host flirted with women - i.e., not HIS sexual type - would THAT bother you? I'd get a kick out of it(straight femme, not a frau, here). If a known gay male host flirted VERY VERY slightly with straight guests, a secure straight guy would get a kick out of it.

If Ellen was NOT out, like Rosie (used to be), I could understand your annoyance, OP; I really don't in this context.

I think it's useful to keep in mind that about 99% of interactions on talk shows is BS anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5403/03/2013

[quote]I'd get a kick out of it(straight femme, not a frau, here

We don't give a fuck what str8 people like you want. That is the WHOLE POINT of this thread you fucking idiot. Ellen is pandering to str8 fraus like you and pretending to be something she is not. Now fuck off and let this board go back to being a GAY board.

by Anonymousreply 5503/03/2013

Everyone knows she is a mean ol' drunk. whats your point?

by Anonymousreply 5603/03/2013

R55 "Ellen is pandering to str8 fraus like you and pretending to be something she is not."

No dear, she's not.

She's debasing a man... displaying him as a sex object... as women have been since forever. It's all in fun. Actually, it could also be viewed as a Feminist political statement.

If anything it seemed more aimed at gays (bend over and pick up that Quarter)...than at straight females.

But either way... it was cute.

by Anonymousreply 5703/03/2013

Ellen is the gay equivalent of Obama -- she is the huggable minority that everyone straight loves because they know she will never hurt them no matter how they treat other gay people.

by Anonymousreply 5803/04/2013

I saw her Australia show the other day - it was bizarre. She had the models picking stuff up off the floor to show their asses. She had Portia dress in a school uniform when visiting her old school. For someone who bangs on about being kind and being true to yourself etc. she surrounds herself with a very skewed reality of the body beautiful and has no problem objectifying men or women.

by Anonymousreply 5906/26/2013

Oh my, objectifying people. Ellen really is evil after all, you've finally convinced me!

by Anonymousreply 6006/26/2013

I find Ellen annoying but straight women do this with other women so I don't see why she can't. I am a lesbian but I can see if a guy is good-looking or if he has a fit body that he's worked on, or appreciate that he dresses well.

by Anonymousreply 6106/26/2013

I like it tbh, the idea of this is hilarious and makes the unfunny annoying Ellen more interesting than she is.

Maybe she thinks it's time the men were objectified, since it's usually women put in this situation much worse. I find it sort of endearing, she was very uncomfortable in scenes with men pre-coming out on her sitcom, that's also hilarious to watch.

by Anonymousreply 6206/26/2013

R60 it's hypocrisy ... she is full of shit and doing any old crap on TV to keep the ratings up.

by Anonymousreply 6306/26/2013

My opinion: All of you who are ragging on Ellen are pretty full of shit. As a gay man, I find her likeable and often very funny. There aren't many celebrities who are as "out" as she is...I mean, having her wedding to Portia featured in People magazine is about as "out" as you can get.

As for playing around with sexy guys on her show, she's not doing it with the intent of trying to fool anyone; she does it in a playful and fun way, and the straight women like it and the gay men like it.

Anyhow, who knows? Maybe she's someone like me who actually finds certain members of the opposite sex very sexy and can appreciate their physical beauty, while not necessarily being sexually attracted to them.

by Anonymousreply 6406/26/2013

And anyone who watches the show knows she's constantly reminding the audience she's gay. Having hunks on occasionally isn't going to make them think she's lying, and her marriage to Portia is a sham. No one is going to think that unless they're mentally ill or a moron.

Ellen has built something for herself that no other lesbian aside from Rachel Maddow I guess, has. She has a platform to push gay equality which she does, it's not the focus of the show, but it's ever present. The truth is she's a hero to the gay community and should be respected and treated as such.

by Anonymousreply 6506/26/2013

Thank you, R65. I agree wholeheartedly.

by Anonymousreply 6606/26/2013

So it's ok for gay men to fawn over female divas, but not for lesbians to fawn over male divas?

by Anonymousreply 6706/26/2013

Is there a little drop of moisture on his fly when the camera comes up close near the end?

by Anonymousreply 6806/26/2013

Ellen is an asset. Get off her back. She's also an entertainer with a market to reach. Lesbians aren't it.

by Anonymousreply 6906/26/2013

[quote]So it's ok for gay men to fawn over female divas, but not for lesbians to fawn over male divas?

But they're not just fawning over them, they're participating in keeping them in the closet. Rosie - Cruise. Ellen - Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 7002/27/2014

Ellen is repulsive in every way. Ugly, grating and unfunny. She sucks and she's going to ruin the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 7102/27/2014

Ellen is fantastic, just wish she would stop dancing.

Hope she makes some homo innuendo jokes.

Ellen is the best thing going for gays in the media.

I LOVE ELLEN!!!

by Anonymousreply 7202/27/2014

I wish there were more attractive, feminine lesbians in the media.

Straight men won't care that Ellen doesn't like dick because they probably don't think she's attractive, and therefore isn't threatening. If she was a stunning knockout, all you would ever hear is it's "such a waste" for her to be gay, or she just needs "the right dick" to make her straight again. Ellen gets a pass because she's over 50 now, but the older she gets is the more a younger attractive alternative is needed to take over when Ellen decides she's done with TV.

by Anonymousreply 7302/27/2014

She's not just over 50, R73, she's pushing 60 and looks it.

In terms of her show...well it sucks. Disposable fluff for people with nothing better to do and/or as meaningless background noise.

by Anonymousreply 7402/27/2014

[quote]So it's ok for gay men to fawn over female divas, but not for lesbians to fawn over male divas?

Gay men aren't there pretending to want to fuck them.

Ellen is begging male guests to take their clothes off, and giving a "Oooo, baby," and she doesn't even say it ironically. It's gross. It's what Rosie did to Tom Cruise.

Ellen did the whole thing with male underwear models, and touching guys' abs.

This is exactly what Howard Stern bitches about when it comes to Ellen, and exactly the reason he loves Rosie today. She came out. She dropped the charade. Ellen's trying to act like a straight woman during her shows, and yes, I know she's talked about being gay, but she goes out of her way to act straight to appeal to Middle American housewives.

by Anonymousreply 7502/27/2014

Ellen kissing Pharrell on the lips at his induction to the walk of fame:

by Anonymousreply 7712/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.