Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'The Hobbit 3' Postponed to December 2014

The final installment in Peter Jackson's trilogy adaption of the J.R.R. Tolkien novel is moved from the initial release date of July 18, 2014 to a new slot of December 17, 2014.

Words are, Warner Bros. decides to postpone "The Hobbit 3" from summer to fall to avoid face-off against superhero flick "X-Men: Days of Future Past". So far, the epic fantasy adventure movie is the only one occupying the December 17 spot.

Jackson begins his trilogy with "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" which has raked in $300.9M domestically and $979.9M worldwide since it was released on December 14, 2012. Its follow-up "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" is scheduled to start viewing in theaters across the country on December 13 this year.

by Anonymousreply 1603/02/2013

It seems more Christmas-y to me anyway. Wonder how many people will be surprised by the three main dwarves dying.

by Anonymousreply 103/01/2013

SPOILER!!!!

by Anonymousreply 203/01/2013

R1 I guess that's why it's called "The Hobbit"

by Anonymousreply 303/01/2013

Seriously? Also, Snape kills Dumbledore and Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 403/01/2013

Let's hope he uses the extra time to do a decent fucking job of editing.

by Anonymousreply 503/01/2013

Stretching that pleasant little book into three bloated, overdone, self-satisfied crapfests killed any interest I had in the continued Jackson make-a-billion campaign. What next? KING KONG II?

by Anonymousreply 603/01/2013

R5 Well, he did incorporate some lore from other books. I enjoyed the first film, but I agree that a number of scenes were superfluous (Jackson sure likes to wallow in melodrama) and that it would've been better if they stuck to the original two movies plan.

by Anonymousreply 703/01/2013

I am surprised that the announcement isn't about the third movie being cut into three separate movies to make even more money off the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 803/01/2013

If the movies were all 90 minutes, it wouldn't be such a big deal. But three movies at over 2-hours each?

by Anonymousreply 903/01/2013

The Hobbit wins an NME award for best film.

by Anonymousreply 1003/01/2013

I think they realized that Benedict Cumberbatch as a CGI dragon is what's going to really sell this series, not a bunch of little warrior dudes in funny noses and braids.

by Anonymousreply 1103/01/2013

Benedict voices the dragon? I could have sworn that he plays a character called Necromancer (the big dark threat that kooky wizard was telling about) according to IMDB.

by Anonymousreply 1203/01/2013

Yep, he voices the dragon and also plays the Necromancer in the 1st film.

by Anonymousreply 1303/01/2013

"Well, he did incorporate some lore from other books."

Yes, but he didn't incorporate it WELL. He kept slowing the film down so he could throw in visits from Frodo and arguments about the fall of Arnor, and jammed the film so full of geek stuff that he had to force an ending at a really awkward spot.

I really hope he's taking the extra time to ensure that the next film is better - I'm hoping for decent editing this time, as well as a truly incredible dragon. (And yes, Cumberacht is playing 2 roles. PJ likes to get his money's worth from his actors.)

by Anonymousreply 1403/01/2013

"You just have to lose your shit on a carpeted floor"

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2013

This works well for my Holiday Hobbit party!!!

by Anonymousreply 1603/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.