Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Association

I heard one of The Association's songs on the radio and realized I had no idea what they looked like, so I looked them up on YouTube and some of them were pretty cute. What do we know about them? Any stories?

Here they are performing "Never My Love" on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1967.

by Anonymousreply 8808/09/2014

"Along Comes Mary" live at Monterey Pop Festival:

by Anonymousreply 102/28/2013

"Windy" -- Live at Ravinia, 1967:

by Anonymousreply 202/28/2013

They were such a hot group to listen to in the late 60s!

by Anonymousreply 302/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 402/28/2013

The bass player died from heroin in 1972

by Anonymousreply 502/28/2013

The bass player who introduces "Along Comes Mary" @ R1's link died of a heroin overdose in 1972 at age 29, Brian Cole.

by Anonymousreply 602/28/2013

Yeah, we got that, R6.

by Anonymousreply 702/28/2013

Breaking Bad's hilarious "Windy" video

by Anonymousreply 802/28/2013

The bass player, Brian Cole, died of a heroin overdose in 1972. He was 29.

by Anonymousreply 902/28/2013

But what happened to the bass player? No one talks about him anymore, and I keep wondering what became of him.

by Anonymousreply 1002/28/2013

No it was Brian Cole. He was a bass player. He died of heroin.

by Anonymousreply 1102/28/2013

Outside of buying us school clothes every year, Mom wasn't big on extravagances. But one year, when I was about 9, she got tickets and took me and my sister to see The Association at the Westbury Music Fair. It was a major treat and she liked it too. I always liked harmony groups, and there were a lot of them back then. Along Comes Mary was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 1202/28/2013

Oh, crap.

by Anonymousreply 1302/28/2013

I heard someone say the bass player died from an overdose of Heroin, is that true?

by Anonymousreply 1402/28/2013

I heard that their hit song "Along Comes Mary" was a drug song that their bass player died of it.

by Anonymousreply 1502/28/2013

I heard that bass player died from dropping pots and shooting up LBJ!

by Anonymousreply 1602/28/2013

[quote] Along Comes Mary was my favorite.

...and prophetic. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 1702/28/2013

Drummer Ted Bluechel shirtless:

by Anonymousreply 1802/28/2013

OMG! Bring back beards and body hair!

By the way, did you know the drummer died of a heroin overdose? I read it on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 1902/28/2013

r19, no, no, no. Pay attention. It was the bass player who died of a heroin overdose. Here he is with his son.

by Anonymousreply 2002/28/2013

So I'm guessing they were/are all hopelessly straight?

by Anonymousreply 2102/28/2013

Standing Still: A Look Back at Ted Bluechel, Jr.

If you google that on Youtube, a nice collage of photos come up about the hairy drummer.

by Anonymousreply 2202/28/2013

The hairy drummer, Ted Bluechel, died in 2009 I googled. But I don't know how he died. Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 2302/28/2013

Where Have All The Pop Stars Gone?, Volume 1 By Marti Smiley Childs and Jeff March

If you google that, you will get a book about the dead bass player and the handsome bearded guy. The handsome bearded guy now looks like Ed McMann (ugh) has a wife and autistic son that looks demonic.

by Anonymousreply 2402/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 2502/28/2013

Here's another photo of the bass player.

by Anonymousreply 2603/01/2013

And then along comes a fairy....

Every one knows she's gassy

Embarrassed is the word I used to remind me...

by Anonymousreply 2703/01/2013

Their handful of memorable hits is the kind of music that is best heard incidentally in a grocery story. They're catchy but too plastic to hold up to any kind of close scrutiny.

by Anonymousreply 2803/01/2013

I don't have an account so I'll ask here...

Was Uncle Joe a pervert?

And how come all three daughters and Uncle Joe and Kate each had their own bedrooms? That is five bedrooms they could've sold to guests?

And what about Aunt Bee? Why didn't she get a job?

And how were Andy and Opie related to Sam and Mike and Jodie Foster?

And what about Mrs Beasley? Huh? Where was Mr Beasley?

by Anonymousreply 2903/01/2013

R29, the bass player died of a heroin overdose.

by Anonymousreply 3003/01/2013

Liked their albums and the soundtrack for GOODBYE, COLUMBUS. "It's Got to be Real" was a great song for the Ali MacGraw/Richard Benjamin montage in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 3103/01/2013

If I'm not mistaken, Larry Ramos, the Hawaiian guy who joined the group later on, died of a heart attack a couple of years ago.

I'm too lazy to google confirmation of that, though.

by Anonymousreply 3203/01/2013

People like r28 should die painfully in grease fires.

by Anonymousreply 3303/01/2013

I think one of them died. Overdose or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 3403/01/2013

I heard heroin was a problem.

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 3503/01/2013

I heard the bass player player is a total pussy hound living in flyover country. Or maybe he's dead.

by Anonymousreply 3603/01/2013

I had a dear friend who knew the bass player in this group. And then she died. And then he died.

by Anonymousreply 3703/01/2013

I'm more interested in the ice-skating tambourine player. And of course, Mark Hamill on guitar.

by Anonymousreply 3803/01/2013

[quote]... is the kind of music that is best heard incidentally in a grocery story.

Like when the wicked queen casts a spell to turn the heroine into produce?

by Anonymousreply 3903/01/2013

Apparently, based on this thread, their musical contributions are far less significant than how, when and where each band member died.

by Anonymousreply 4003/01/2013

I'm sure that's true for them personally, R40.

by Anonymousreply 4103/01/2013

Hairy chested hottie Ted Bluechel is apparently still alive. The 2009 death was an internet rumor (much like the recent Beverly Archer death rumor right here on DL). He's 70 and living in Camarillo.

Anyway I grew up hearing these songs as a kid in the 70s. We named the dog we got in 1973 "Wendy" after their song "Windy".

by Anonymousreply 4203/01/2013

I'm glad the hairy man is still alive

by Anonymousreply 4303/01/2013

If Wikipedia is correct -- it can be possible -- than the bass player who died in 1972 is the only one who HAS died. Wikipedia's page for The Association list all the others as still alive.

by Anonymousreply 4403/01/2013

It seems a man who died and had his obituary in the NY Times fooled his wife and others into thinking he was Ted Bleuchel from the Association. His name was Richard Blue.

This is his obit:

Richard Blue   |   Visit Guest Book

BLUE--Richard, September 18, 1946 - May 16, 2009. Beloved husband to Amanda and wonderful father to Kathleen, Rich was a remarkable human being, loved by all. A great contributor to the music world, Rich had early success as a member of the Association (as Ted Bluechel Jr.) and progressed to write many great songs. In later years he entered the world of finance and joined the Corporate Bank at Chase Manhattan, where he met Amanda. After their marriage in 1981, they moved to Burlingame and established their home. In the mid 1990s, Rich retired from the business world and devoted himself to raising his daughter, Katie, a role which he considered the greatest achievement of his life. In 1998, Rich and his family moved to London, England, where they spent ten interesting years before returning home to Burlingame in 2008. He will be greatly missed by his wide circle of friends and family.

by Anonymousreply 4503/01/2013

Here's an article in the Washington Post about the obit.

Bad 'Association'

Why do we need news obituaries? The trouble with paid Death Notices is that families can claim pretty much anything, and who will be the wiser? Advertising staffs, like most of us in the news biz, are overwhelmed with requests for obits.

Generally families are taken at their word when they list such innocuous things as memberships in a house of worship or a local country club, or even military service. Unless, of course, the claims seem grandiose or deserve special research. We typically ask for proof of high military honors, for example. And it's easy to fact check membership in, say, a leading pop band.

But not always, as alt.obituaries newsgroup poster Amelia Rosner writes:

"In the paid obituaries of the New York Times this week was the news that a member of the rock band The Association had died. As a woman of a certain age, one who can't hear "Cherish" without feeling every sensation of unrequited crush, I felt this was big news. There was an odd aspect to the obit, however. He had changed his name (significantly) after his decades-long year tenure with The Association. Ted Bluechel, Jr had become Richard Blue.

Nevertheless, I posted it on the newsgroup alt.obituaries. Much discussion ensued, and I immediately got an email from the head of The Association Fanclub. Why was I spreading this rumor? She had spent the day putting out fires! She just spoke to the "real" Ted Bluecher, Jr. and they were laughing about it. I did point out that the obit said he was in the group, and she should get to the bottom of it. So, what's the truth? Is this the boomer generation's version of WW2 war lies? What did you do in the '60s, Daddy? "

Comment: I don't think deceit is becoming more common. Instead, I suspect that newspapers and readers are getting better at spotting lies. The Internet hasn't just made it easier to research false claims; it's widened the audience for obituaries to outside the deceased's hometown.

An example from 2006: the New Orleans Times-Picayune ran an obituary on for a man named Jerry Butler, in which the deceased was described as a former Canadian Football League player. A check in the alumni book and a quick call to CFL headquarters confirmed that he'd never played in the league. That claim wouldn't have been challenged had the obituary not been published online.

But I don't think the problem was any less prevalent thirty years ago. An old boss of mine once pointed out that if every person who claimed just to have missed the Titanic had actually caught the ship, it would have sunk like a stone in Southampton Harbour.

by Anonymousreply 4603/01/2013

There was a man who claimed for years that he wrote "Itsy Bitsy Yellow Polka Dot Bikin" under the pen name Paul Vance. When his obituary from a local paper was printed online, the real Paul Vance was contacted and surprised to hear of his own death.

BTW-- Paul Vance said he made millions off of that one song. He also wrote "Catch a Falling Star" for Perry Como, the spoofy "Leader of the Laundromat," and the horrific "Playground in My Mind," which is familiar to anyone who was alive at the time as the "My name is Michael, I got a nickel," song.

by Anonymousreply 4703/01/2013

The guy with the chest hair looks like he's wearing a fur coat, NOT attractive at all.

by Anonymousreply 4803/01/2013

[quote]They were such a hot group to listen to in the late 60s!

If you were a middle aged nun.

by Anonymousreply 4903/01/2013

Our top story tonight: The Association's bass player is still dead.

by Anonymousreply 5003/01/2013

Didn't Richard Blue's wife think it odd that a man named Richard Blue would take the stage name Ted Bluetchel, Jr?

by Anonymousreply 5103/01/2013

So, to sort all this out, are we saying that the imposter Richard Blue died of a heroin overdose too?

His obit doesn't mention this… oh, I am so confused!

by Anonymousreply 5203/01/2013

"...and the horrific "Playground in My Mind," which is familiar to anyone who was alive at the time as the "My name is Michael, I got a nickel," song."

I feel slightly nauseated. I am nauseous. I could have forgotten that godawful thing forever for the rest of my life, but now, I remember it. I'm going to try and forget it again.

by Anonymousreply 5303/01/2013

R53, the song is "Playground in Mind" and sung by Clint Holmes. It is on Youtube. If someone could give me directions as to how to post a youtube link here, I'd gladly do it. When I try to cut and paste the entire location, DL says it won't take the post. I'm marginally retarded, so help me out.

by Anonymousreply 5403/01/2013

Paste the address in the box marked "URL:"

by Anonymousreply 5503/01/2013

I tried cutting and pasting the location of the youtube video, found in the top line of the page, but DL won't let me paste it into the box and post here. Where is the URL you speak of?

by Anonymousreply 5603/01/2013

Click the "Post a reply" link.

See the box that's labelled "Message"? Don't paste your URL there, you type things there. However, see the next box just underneath the Message box? Duh.

by Anonymousreply 5703/02/2013

Such a nice clean cut band. Glad to know none of them ever did drugs like heroin or anything. They could have died from an overdose.

by Anonymousreply 5803/02/2013

I don't know about that, R28. Cherish and Never My Love are absolute classics AFAIC, perhaps best heard on an AM radio driving in the country on your way to a dairy farm to get fresh donuts...

by Anonymousreply 5903/02/2013

I heard the drummer died of a heroin overdose. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 6003/02/2013

I belonged to the Association fan club. Also the Banana Splits fan club. I am very old.

by Anonymousreply 6103/02/2013

If you were married to someone who claimed to have been a minor celebrity in a former life, wouldn't you expect to see some memorabilia, have contact with other people connected to that life, and, I don't know, maybe get some royalties!

There was some willing suspension of disbelief there.

I had an uncle who claimed descent from a famous politician who had the same surname. His kids always told everyone that so and so was their great great grandfather, even though my mother claimed that was ridiculous. My brother got into genealogy once and totally debunked that myth but that side of the family was so invested in the story they continued living the lie.

by Anonymousreply 6203/02/2013

Does anyone know how the bass player died? Can't seem to find that info anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 6303/02/2013

White horse, r63

by Anonymousreply 6403/02/2013

[quote] [R53], the song is "Playground in Mind" and sung by Clint Holm

It's "Playground in MY Mind" as was first stated in R47.

by Anonymousreply 6503/02/2013

I read on the internet some place that the bass player died a heroine.

I didn't realize the Association had a female band member. Much less that she'd done something noble and upstanding to be labeled a heroine. Anybody know what her heroic act is/was?

by Anonymousreply 6603/02/2013

Btyom Girl

by Anonymousreply 6703/02/2013

Bumping for any updates on their bass player.

by Anonymousreply 6803/03/2013

If anyone on the pop charts today came up with a song that's 1/10th as sharp and catchy as "Along Comes Mary," they'd be playing at the Super Bowl next year.

by Anonymousreply 6903/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 7003/03/2013

I've always had a thing for hairy chests, so I had the hots for Ted when I was in high school (which was when they were at the height of their popularity.)

They had a nice string of Top 40 hits in the late '60s. I remember going to a New Year's Eve party when I was in high school and the local Top 40 station was counting down the top 100 hits of the year. Either "Cherish" or "Never My Love" was number one or close to it. I still have the 45 (ask your grandparents) of "Never My Love."

by Anonymousreply 7103/03/2013

r71, in 1966, The Association had the #2 most popular song of the year, "Cherish." The following year, "Windy" ranked #4 and "Never My Love" ranked #20 on the year-end list.

"Cherish" and "Windy" both hit #1 -- "Cherish" for 3 weeks, "Windy" for 4 weeks -- while "Never My Love" stopped at #2 for 2 weeks -- it was kept out of the top spot by "The Letter" by The Box-Tops.

Interestingly, in 1999, BMI published a list of the 100 most played songs of the 20th Century and "Never My Love" was the second most played song of the century (with reportedly more than 8 million spins); "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" by The Righteous Brothers was #1. But The Association's other chart-toppers also made the BMI century list -- "Cherish" ranked #22 and "Windy" ranked #61.

by Anonymousreply 7203/03/2013

And Wendy has starry eyes.

by Anonymousreply 7303/23/2013

No, it's:

And Windy has stormy eyes

That flash at the sound of lies....

by Anonymousreply 7403/23/2013

"Never My Love" is cheesy, yes, but ultimately just lovely. The harmonies are on point.

by Anonymousreply 7509/14/2013

"Along Comes Mary" is Datalounge's theme song.

It should automatically start playing upon access.

by Anonymousreply 7609/14/2013

This is one of my favorite underrated songs, great harmonies. I still love their stuff (and similar groups, like The Hollies, The Left Banke, etc)...very soothing compared to today's pop music.

by Anonymousreply 7709/14/2013

R69 So true!

by Anonymousreply 7809/14/2013

The lyrics aren't really anything speciall but this is truly some of the most beautiful music ever written - I would include "Walk Away Renee", too.

by Anonymousreply 7909/14/2013

I liked "Everything That Touches You" - the harmonies are great.

WEHT Paul, of "Paul Revere & The Raiders" ? Used to be such a turn on as a young gay, to watch him with those big brown eyes - he was a handsome guy.

by Anonymousreply 8009/14/2013

I didn't realize they were trimming and waxing in the early '70s.

Because the first photo of Ted definitely shows some skillful work.

by Anonymousreply 8109/14/2013

Leonard Bernstein discussed "Along Comes Mary" on one of his "Young People's Concerts".

Also The Association were the one's asked to perform Jim Webb's "McArthurt Park", but they declined.

Rolling Stone magazine of course hated them, because they weren't gritty or bluesy enough.

I think this song from their 1968 "Birthday" album is pretty amazing too:

by Anonymousreply 8209/14/2013

OP, you like that sissy little rhythm guitar player, don't you?

Interesting aside, one of the group members died of a heroin overdose in 1972 at the age of 29.

by Anonymousreply 8309/14/2013

r83 Thanks for the info about one of the members dying of a heroin overdose.

I can't believe it took 83 replies for anyone to mention that fact!

Geez, DL sure is slipping.

by Anonymousreply 8409/14/2013

Reposting the link to "Along Comes Mary" from the Monterey Pop Festival, as the original was taken off youtube. What a great performance! And they are so cute and nerdy.

by Anonymousreply 8509/16/2013

Them and Bread were the gayest sounding bands ever.

by Anonymousreply 8608/09/2014

Their songs were used in GOODBYE, COLUMBUS.

by Anonymousreply 8708/09/2014

W&W for r76.

I guffawed.

Yes, the DL log-in theme riff! Ha!

Along Comes Mary!

by Anonymousreply 8808/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!