Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mariah Carey - "Vision of Love"

Still the best. She needs to go back to this kind of [italic]sangin'[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 4612/30/2013

I always was partial to this one

by Anonymousreply 102/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 302/28/2013

Yes, and Shaq O'Neill needs to go back to that kind of basketball playin'.

by Anonymousreply 402/28/2013

I agree, OP.

by Anonymousreply 502/28/2013

Awesome pop confection.

The haters have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 602/28/2013

This song and another one off her first album - "Vanishing" - were the finest songs she ever wrote. Pop confection perfection.

by Anonymousreply 702/28/2013

Vanishing was great. She's had several great songs from her first three or four LPs that were not released as singles that were superior to many of the ones that were.

by Anonymousreply 802/28/2013

Gawd. I love 80s/90s music very much, but I never ever got why this song was such a big deal. There are songs on Charmbracelet (yes I went there gurl), that are more appealing.

by Anonymousreply 902/28/2013

Several critics have interpreted the lyrics to be Mariah singing to God, and I can agree because listening to this extraordinarily astounding song is nothing short of a religious experience. This Mariah needs to come back!

by Anonymousreply 1002/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 1102/28/2013

Never gonna happen OP, she can no longer sing like that

by Anonymousreply 1202/28/2013

Her voice is shot. She can't do this kind of thing anymore. I was a huge fan of Vision of Love back then.

by Anonymousreply 1302/28/2013

She had her chance and blew it. Her future entails game shows and Celebrity Apprentice.

by Anonymousreply 1402/28/2013

Biggest selling female artist of the soundscan era.

More number ones than any female artist.

Had the biggest billboard hit of the 2000's with WE BELONG TOGETHER.

Suffice it to say R14 is completely clueless. She's etched her place in pop music history.

by Anonymousreply 1502/28/2013

OMG, we have mimibot, joining janbot, madbot, and britbot!!!

by Anonymousreply 1602/28/2013

You got that right, R16

by Anonymousreply 1702/28/2013

Ehh - I thought it was a Whitney ripoff and it was. Vocal gymnastics.

Never understood the appeal with her so-so looks and always showing the right side of her face - as if that side is sooooo much better. She's average in every way.

by Anonymousreply 1802/28/2013

R15, the "soundscand era"? How thin are you gonna slice that piece of pie?

by Anonymousreply 1902/28/2013

r14, what in the hail? That makes no sense. She didn't blow shit.

by Anonymousreply 2002/28/2013

I'm the ONLY bot in this house.

by Anonymousreply 2103/01/2013

In addition to her earlier (mental? medication?) troubles, she delivered Moesha and Mongolia by caesarean section- which usually erases and octave or two from your diaphram.

Luckily, this coincided with the advent of Autotune, so now she can sqeak and squeal (electronically) forever.

by Anonymousreply 2203/01/2013

Is it typical of a singer to blow out their voice when they are only in their early 40s? I thought Mariah always took good care of her voice.

by Anonymousreply 2303/01/2013

My favorite Mariah song, from her "Emotions" LP:

by Anonymousreply 2403/01/2013

Mariah and Janet were both on the same label, Island Def Jam for a little bit. I think it was around the time of that photo at r21. LA Reid really killed any possibility of these ladies topping the charts for one last time.

by Anonymousreply 2503/01/2013

She smoked too much and her voice is shot now.

by Anonymousreply 2603/01/2013

She can't.

by Anonymousreply 2703/01/2013

She can't, but she sure could.

I am not a huge fan, but "Vision of Love." was a great song and some fine singing.

I liked her best when she was only a Diva in training, when there was still something natural and raw in her performance.

Here is Mariah, on Saturday Night Live.

Vision of Love

by Anonymousreply 2803/01/2013

Daydream was her best album. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 2903/01/2013

"removes an octave or two from your diaphragm"??

There are not even words in the English language with which to fully express your mindblowing stupidity, r22. My god...can you even feed yourself?

by Anonymousreply 3003/01/2013

This version of "Someday" is much better than the video version.

by Anonymousreply 3103/01/2013

Another stellar track from her first album

by Anonymousreply 3203/01/2013

I love her natural and raw look and sound back then. "Prisoner" was another great track from her self-titled debut.

by Anonymousreply 3303/01/2013

R21, you know if you painted little swirly circles on the cheeks of that photo of Janet, she'd look just like that puppet in all of the SAW movies.

by Anonymousreply 3403/01/2013

Look at the nose on R33!

by Anonymousreply 3503/01/2013

Oh gawd, R34, get a life. What are you, following me around to every thread waiting to strike at any mention of Queen Janet? You are undeniably funny, but a nuisance at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 3603/01/2013

JANBOT, I'm outside your trailer, in the dark. Come out and play.

by Anonymousreply 3703/01/2013

You're at the wrong address then, because I live in a condo.

by Anonymousreply 3803/01/2013

Mariah only reached this type of soulful pop perfection a few times throughout her long career. The aforementioned "Vanishing" and "If It's Over." "Vanishing" and "If It's Over" drew inspiration from Atlantic Records era Aretha Franklin, and she displayed more versatility with her first few albums before becoming a mega pop superstar when releasing "Music Box."

(I disagree with R18 that "Vision of Love" is a Whitney knockoff. Musically, the song sounds nothing like Whitney's 80s pop music. Unlike Whitney's 80s music, "Vision of Love" is deeply rooted in Gospel and Doo-Wop soul. Perhaps you mean vocally, but even there I think Mariah's technique is different than Whitney's: early Whitney was all about belting and swooping up the scale using her head-voice; Mariah's style is more melismatic and akin to Stevie Wonder and Karen Clark Sheard, mixed with the Gospel phrasing of Aretha Franklin and the soft angelic touch of Minnie Riperton and Denice Williams.)

Now: she's just a mere shadow of her former self.

Just watch how she sings the fuck out of "If It's Over" on SNL back at '92. No matter how cartoonish and plastic she is now, she has solidified her status as a legendary singer.

by Anonymousreply 3912/30/2013

Vision of Love is good, but I like some of her other songs better. Like Kurt Cobain, Mariah was a pretty good interpreter of songs she didn't write (although not to the same extent).

Proof: Without You, I'll Be There.

by Anonymousreply 4012/30/2013

I had a vision of love

When you blew a nut in my eye.

by Anonymousreply 4112/30/2013

This wasn't a great song - it's just a doo wop confection. It got so much attention and launched her career because she done out "Whitney-ed" Whitney!

by Anonymousreply 4212/30/2013

The OP is a fuckin' racist. Why does a nice black girl wanna go back to singing white music? The music that enslaved her people?

by Anonymousreply 4312/30/2013

She beat Sinead O'Connor (Nothing Compares 2 U) for the Grammy that year.

Of course Sinead did refuse the Grammy ahead of time, so that may have played in Mariah favor.

by Anonymousreply 4412/30/2013

R44,I live in Chicago and I try to listen to as much oldies radio as I can, and I find it ironic that Nothing Compares to U is played more than any Mariah song except All I want for Christmas. That's been my experience, at least. And Nothing Compares to U is the better song.

by Anonymousreply 4512/30/2013

From 1991

Citing the "false and destructive materialistic values" of the music industry, Irish singer Sinead O'Connor has withdrawn from the Grammy Awards and competition.

"As artists I believe our function is to express the feelings of the human race - to always speak the truth and never keep it hidden even though we are operating in a world which does not like the sound of the truth," O'Connor, 24, declared in a letter sent Friday to the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.

The music establishment, she believes, does not share this view. "They acknowledge mostly the commercial side of art. They respect mostly material gain, since that is the main reason for their existence," she wrote.

So the voters cast their lot with Mariah and Vision of Love, who was eager to accept the Grammy. If Sinead didn't want it, Mariah was only too happy to take it.

by Anonymousreply 4612/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!