Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should Joan Rivers Apologize For Holocaust Joke?

Joan Rivers poked fun at Heidi Klum's Oscar dress, saying, "The last time a German looked this hot was when they were pushing Jews into the ovens.

Despite opposition from the Anti-Defamation League, Rivers -- who is Jewish -- stands by her joke. "My husband lost the majority of his family at Auschwitz, and I can assure you that I have always made it a point to remind people of the Holocaust through humor," she said of her late second husband, Edgar Rosenberg

So should she apologize?

by Anonymousreply 11603/04/2013

Joan is Joan. That's her schtick.

by Anonymousreply 102/28/2013

But the joke wasn't on Jews, it was on Germans. If she needs to apologize for anything it's for an unfunny joke that doesn't make sense. And her continued presence on TV.

by Anonymousreply 202/28/2013

She's told more tasteless than that!

by Anonymousreply 302/28/2013

You're asking this on Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 402/28/2013

No fucking way!

by Anonymousreply 502/28/2013

My friend Julie is a cunt. Joan is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 602/28/2013

Better she should apologize for being a Republican and for being chummy with that fool Donald Trump, who never stops accusing Obama of not being American born in spite of evidence showing that he is.

And didn't Joan Rivers have the nerve to chastise Prince Harry for wearing a Hitler costume to a Halloween party a few years ago?

by Anonymousreply 802/28/2013

Her protestations are always so lame, why does she even bother ("My neighbor's daughter is deaf, you asshole!").

On Fresh Air last year, she was telling Terry Gross about how she used to write skits for Topo Gigio on Ed Sullivan. Terry asked her if it was demeaning and she said, "For a hundred dollars?? For a hundred dollars I'd write for Hitler!".

by Anonymousreply 902/28/2013

She seems to be a loose cannon recently, resorting to Adele-is-fat jokes. Letterman seemed a little uneasy with her a few nights ago.

by Anonymousreply 1002/28/2013

She has a hell of a nerve equating Heidi klum with nazis from 70 years ago. It would be like a German making a KKK joke about Jennifer Connelly or Anne Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 1102/28/2013

Her apology is pointless. Let people decide what they make of her humor and watch or not accordingly.

Personally I feel it's kind of tasteless to make jokes about the Holocaust but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 1202/28/2013

She needs to get over her "everyone in Germany is a Nazi" crap.

by Anonymousreply 1302/28/2013

I think it's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1402/28/2013

[quote]I think it's hilarious.

You must be easily amused then.

by Anonymousreply 1603/01/2013

It's a distasteful joke, but coming from Joan Rivers, is anyone really surprised?

As distasteful as it is, why have we become a nation of the outraged? We're outraged by everything -- little or big. We demand apologies when it's clear that the speaker isn't really all that apologetic.

If only we are as outraged with actions as we are with words.

by Anonymousreply 1703/01/2013

r18 and what would be the point of her opinion on such matter?

by Anonymousreply 1903/01/2013

There would be no point to her comment. Pretty much her's was polemic and very low brow and feeds to the most unsophisticated mind set. Maybe she should sign up for writing the next Hangover.

by Anonymousreply 2003/01/2013

r20 kind of like you bringing up something so non sequitur. To be polemic and low brow?

by Anonymousreply 2103/01/2013

It was a stupid, unfunny "joke", but I take her word that she had good intentions. She hates Mel Gibson's guts for being antisemitic, that's one of the few things I like about her. It was great seeing her on The View getting into a tussle with dumbass Whoopie about him.

by Anonymousreply 2203/01/2013

The joke is not funny. And cruel.

by Anonymousreply 2303/01/2013

R21 Rush Limbaugh is pretty low brow and he is polemic for sure - seems to be no problem for him to be both. Most cracker-barrel-philosophers are.

by Anonymousreply 2403/01/2013

Speaking of an unsophisticated mindset...

by Anonymousreply 2503/01/2013

I love Joan, but the Adele fat jokes were rather tasteless and just seemed unfunny and mean-spirited. Yes, I love Joan, but everyone at some point makes a mistake or speaks out of turn. Those jokes were rude and unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 2603/01/2013

Oh my, the pedantic winner of the spelling contest again .......

by Anonymousreply 2703/01/2013

[quote]Joan has the guts to tell her jokes.

It would be nice to say she had valor IF her jokes were funny, or followed a shred of logic to an inevitable zany conclusion, or weren't decades old borscht belt rehashes.

by Anonymousreply 2903/01/2013

I never said that the joke was funny and who in the fuck uses the word valour when discussing comics?

I made a point of comparison to the jew, spic, misogynist and black jokes that MacFarlane engaged in during the Oscars.

No valour is required to own what you say, unless you're a weasel. The borscht belt reference is way before my time. Is that Russian Jew leftovers?

Joan's joke did make sense or no one would be upset by it.

by Anonymousreply 3003/01/2013

She should apologize for not having retired yet.

by Anonymousreply 3103/01/2013

She made millions with the mean bitter cunt shtick. To me she is not that much different than Ann Coulter who just says outrageous stuff for attention and selling her books. Same goes for so called Queen of Mean Lisa Lampanelli.

They both operate with the same publicity stunt formular (say something that gets you attention and opportunities where you don't apologize for your actions and words).

by Anonymousreply 3203/01/2013

[quote]and who in the fuck uses the word valour when discussing comics?

If you didn't notice, someone used "guts" to describe her ability, or the so-called backbone that gives her the ability, to tell her "jokes." In common parlance guts = valor, no? I was only parroting something invoked beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 3303/01/2013

I am the dude who used the word guts, and the one who thought valour was a bit silly in this context. I understand you were attempting to be sarcastic and highbrow at once.

You can tell from our spelling that we come from different lands. Guts is hardly synonymous with valour where I reside.

You have made your point more than once, that the joke and the jokester is crude, not funny and illogical.

I understand you fine.

Guts means guts, in words or action - reckless confidence.

Valour is a fancy boy word for something else.

by Anonymousreply 3403/01/2013

It's comedy. She doesn't pull her punches. She plays to the back wall of the theatre. The whole point is that she's not afraid to offend.

by Anonymousreply 3503/01/2013

They cut it out in the UK broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 3603/01/2013

R30 If you are referring to the MacFarlane Rhianna joke being misogynist, I vehemently deny. I think the biggest misogynist is Rhianna herself. Not for staying with CB but for banking on pretending everybody needs to feel sorry for her or for banking on everybody shaking their heads in disbelieve she is still with him. She is riding one of the lowest PR campaigns I can think of in recent times. She and Taylor Swift can shake hands.

In that incident MacF was rightfully making fun of her. I agree with R32 Joan Rivers is very far from being a clever comedian (maybe she used to be) but with the Adele and Klum joke she is just catering to some lowlife idiots. Since when was it OK or even cool to offend?

by Anonymousreply 3703/01/2013

[Joan's joke did make sense or no one would be upset by it]

That's the most illogical thing I have ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 3803/01/2013

Stop being dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 3903/01/2013

She should apologize because she didn't die 25 years ago like she should have.

by Anonymousreply 4003/01/2013

I missed the Oscars so I tried to watch the Fashion Police the following day just to see who wore what. Fashion for me is a spectator sport, but I am a huge fan. I never watched the show before so I really was not prepared for Joan's shtick. It was not funny. Rude does not seem to be enough of a description. It looked like she tries so hard to say something completely revolting, sensational and controversial and will stretch the logistic as far as she can to get there. There is much to be said for pointless bitchery, when there is some real wit or humor to go along with it. In her case there is just the air of desperation to remain relevant. Is it because she still had to support her daughter?

I don't know about apologizing - how do you even begin to apologize for statements such as these? What, she didn't know how people would react? It was a wrong call? It was absolutely planned and designed for precisely this reaction, just like the anti Islam movie was. Apologies are a moot point at this stage of the game.

And no, I did not watch the whole show. I turned it off after a few minutes. it was too low, even for my pedestrian taste.

by Anonymousreply 4203/01/2013

No she should not apologize. A joke is a joke among adults. It's not one of her better lines, for sure, but no apology is required

by Anonymousreply 4303/01/2013

Everyone is such a delicate hothouse flower these days.

Quick! Get the smelling salts!

by Anonymousreply 4403/01/2013

Are you under the impression that MacFarlane only made ONE misogynist joke or comment ?

Are you deaf or only tone deaf ?

Christ your ass has to have it your way. I am not going to defend Joan Rivers as a great anything, but get your panties out of your ass because these are the kind of jokes she always makes. Heidi and the Jews in the oven is far from her most egregious.

Too many fools read something on DL or have some minimal exposure to someone and start mouthing their outrage and puking out opinions.

I am not a fan of her great wit, but I am a fan of her guts in saying, grow up. Write the network little flowers.

I think that Rivers is mean and past tense and shallow. But I don't pretend I don't get her jokes. Sometimes I laugh. I am not a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 4503/01/2013

She should follow in her husbands footsteps.

by Anonymousreply 4603/01/2013

She should become a Christian and then flog herself for giving birth to Melissa and pushing her down our throats.

by Anonymousreply 4703/01/2013

I hate this current over-sensitive, unintelligent culture we live in. No one must ever be offended. No one must ever be made to think deeply.

Everything must be taken at face value. If eyebrows are raised, apologies and stints in career-salvaging rehab must be forthcoming immediately.

No one must ever understand satire or irony. No one must ever be smart enough to figure out what a comedian is really getting at and trying to say. If something doesn't make ME laugh then it's not funny and I demand an apology.

If I don't get art then surely it's not really art.

by Anonymousreply 4803/01/2013

The internet provides us with all kinds of support groups. You name and offend it and there's already a support group that calls for your head on a silver platter.

by Anonymousreply 4903/01/2013

Not near as bad as Roseanne's "Burnt Jew Cookies"

by Anonymousreply 5003/01/2013

Joan Rivers needs to drop dead already. Can't stand this mentally ill Republican cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5103/01/2013

r48 would raise holy hell over a gay suicide/murder joke.

by Anonymousreply 5203/01/2013

If you want to get comedy that is controversial, offensive and still intelligent, watch Richard Pryor. Joan used to be great, now with this joke she is a cheap budged version of what a great comedian is like. She crossed the line!

by Anonymousreply 5303/01/2013

Probably already mentioned but she really needs to apologize for Melissa.

by Anonymousreply 5403/01/2013

The "joke" is her take on the famous Moms Mabley line "the only time my late husband got hot was when he was creamated." You can see that Joan swiped the intent but the logic is gone, unless she was suggesting that the Nazi was sexually hot by pushing the Jews into the ovens.

Like everything she does, it was a lazy attempt.

Joan shouldn't apologize for the joke because it gave her the badly needed publicity she needs for her next QVC line.

by Anonymousreply 5503/01/2013

I'm offended by R56. he should apologize immediately.

by Anonymousreply 5703/01/2013

Apologize for a mere joke? Shit, she's never apologized for foisting her incredibly unattractive, completely devoid of talent daughter on us, who has never made a nickel on her own.

by Anonymousreply 5803/01/2013

Joan has a tired formula for jokes.

Tell the same joke, insert current celebrity.

Right now for fat jokes, she's using Adele. A few months ago it was Kirstie Alley, before that Elizabeth Taylor, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 5903/01/2013

R57, I appreciate you getting the irony of my post.

And true, why I'd never actually wish violence on anyone, she is a vulgar, nasty excuse of a human being. I can't believe someone I found so fucking funny growing up has turned into the scary demon of a person this woman has become.

She's classist, racist, horrible and with her fame and money has never contributed anything to humanity when she was able to.

I'm also tired of the droning on of people like Joy Behar, etc. who always give passes to comedians; somehow, comedians have become allowed to say absolutely anything they like and the rest of us are finger-wagged and scolded for daring to take issue with it.

Rivers can't go away soon enough and, when she does, let's hope she takes her scary daughter with her.

by Anonymousreply 6003/01/2013

Shouldn't she at least be funny if she's going to rely on the "just a joke" defense?

by Anonymousreply 6103/01/2013

With so many things for which to apologize, why should Joan Rivers worry about that one. A distaff Jackie Mason, she has been an affront for quite a while -- long before her assault on our eyes.

by Anonymousreply 6203/01/2013

Umm, hello...she's Jewish. Why should SHE have to apologize for this? Besides, she's taking about Germans pushing Jews into the ovens...isn't that what actually happened?

I'm pretty PC and proud of it, but I think this job is relatively minor (and not funny) given who it's coming from. Frankly, shouldn't Heidi be the one who's offended given the contextualizing there?

by Anonymousreply 6303/01/2013

Someone should tell R34 that "guts" and valor both mean "bravery".

by Anonymousreply 6503/01/2013

"Oh my, the pedantic winner of the spelling contest again ......."

Honey, she never leaves. I picture a teacher who retired early from disability, who lives on the internet, rabidly "correcting papers" day and night. She has no sense of humor or irony.

I just want to bury her in spit wads.

by Anonymousreply 6603/01/2013

Listen up Miriam Webster..that is your name I hope?

Look up the word "nuance", will ya.

Stop being so ridiculous.

I can smell your talcum valour from here, you gutless prude.

by Anonymousreply 6703/01/2013

[quote]Listen up Miriam Webster

Oh, DEAR....

by Anonymousreply 6803/01/2013

Do people outside of FreeRepublic still use the term "P.C."? It's kind of like "knee-jerk liberal" isn't it? I just thought you guys would have come up with something else by now.

by Anonymousreply 6903/01/2013

I'm ok with nonpc jokes, but they should at least be funny. This one wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 7003/01/2013

Well, I guess r70 answered my question.

by Anonymousreply 7103/01/2013

Lord, help me.

In this case it is Miriam, I assure you.

You fucking old queens should get together and look up dirty words.

by Anonymousreply 7203/01/2013

A joke about world war II. It isn't even funny

It's 2013 and joan is a tired unfunny old hag

by Anonymousreply 7303/01/2013

Are we still talking about this non-newsworthy dreck?

by Anonymousreply 7403/01/2013

It wasn't a joke *about* WW2.

I don't have any interest in Rivers, but being sanctimonious but then calling her an old hag is prissy and sanctimonious.

by Anonymousreply 7503/01/2013

The joke was lame, but she shouldn't apologise. It's not too soon!

by Anonymousreply 7603/01/2013

She should apologize for all that bad PS.

by Anonymousreply 7703/01/2013

Spewing racist remarks on Heidi is kind of funny since she used to be married to a black guy. Not that I like her but what Joan did was a joke at the lowest form. Same thing with the Adele joke. She is really catering Anne Coulter territory. Pretty disgusting some people actually find this funny.

by Anonymousreply 7803/01/2013

I love how Joan makes horse jokes about SJP when Melissa is standing right there. I mean, they have to see it, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 7903/02/2013

You would think, R80, yes, you would think they would.

by Anonymousreply 8003/02/2013

If I were Heidi I would be a little sensitive and a lot pissed that Joan used me for a joke like that.

Hey she's a hot German just like those Germans who were standing close to the ovens that they were pushing Jews into at Auschwitz.

See how much sense it makes?

See how funny that is?

Not cool.

If she were making the joke about Schwartzenfucker it would make sense given his/families past and be a good burn cause many people think he's an asshole at this point, so he's fair game.

Heidi was just minding her own business and Joan mugged her.

by Anonymousreply 8103/02/2013

Seriously, the best way to get back at Joan is to call out her daughter for being a no-talent horse-faced idiot. She hates that.

by Anonymousreply 8203/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 8303/02/2013

I didn't like the fat or German jokes, but I do like Joan. She delivers better than most comedians on the scene today. And she has always done it better than that insulting ass Don Rickles who has never once said anything funny.

by Anonymousreply 8503/02/2013

I remember Joan from the 70s where he showed was this --

the first half was all about her beating the shit out of herself.

The second half was about her beating the shit out of others.

by Anonymousreply 8603/02/2013

"where he showed was this" = "where her show was this"

by Anonymousreply 8703/02/2013

Boo fucking hoo, R23. Welcome to reality. You probably think bullies are going to disappear someday,"just because." Grow the fuck up: yes, it was cruel; lots of cruel things and people in this world. Alas.

by Anonymousreply 9003/02/2013

R30: Oldster here (me.) The Borscht Belt is a name given to T a number of largely (once upon a time) Jewish hotels in the Catskills. THe Concord (if I have the name right) is one of the biggest. BIg summer resorts; nightclubs, etc.; Jewish comedians - perhaps more in the 40's, 50's , 60's - got their start there, many of them.

(I assume I don't have to explain borscht is a Russian soup; lots of Jews are Russian Jews...)

I like JOan; I will concede that people 10, 20,30, 40, years younger than I (late 50's) might not...

by Anonymousreply 9103/02/2013

R28: thank you for referencing Lenny Bruce. Don't know if you're old like me or just a student of comedy? I think he REALLY got himself in trouble/fell from favor (along with the drugs, etc.) with the:

"Bobby Franks was a snotty kid anyway"

comment (referencing the little boy who was kidnapped and killed - Leopold and Loeb, was it?)

In a more recent "scandal" - 2-3 years? I was and still am PISSED OFF that Gilbert GOttfried got in trouble and dismissed as the voice of the AFLAC duck for insensitive tweets about a Japanese tsunami. Whatever you may think of Gottfried, he IS funny in his own way.

(although he probably SHOULD have researched - or if knew, toned down - the fact that Japanese are evidently a HUGE majority of AFLAC's customers.

by Anonymousreply 9203/02/2013

R48, you are my hero; I fecking love you! A rare voice of reason here. THANK you for intelligent comments; I agree with you wholeheartedly.

by Anonymousreply 9303/02/2013

I just read the joke, and laughed.... and I am Jewish... so no, Joan shouldn't apologize. She should tell it to a new audience tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 9403/02/2013

R88 through R93 is the same poster. Why post so many times, R88 through 93? Why not just once?

by Anonymousreply 9503/02/2013

Well 94 the how would you feel if you were German?

by Anonymousreply 9603/02/2013

Garland used to refer to her agents as Leopold and Loeb.

by Anonymousreply 9703/02/2013

I didn't enjoy doing "Holocaust." Whatever Joan said about it I'm sure is apt. Lord James Woods got on my nerves almost as much as Charles Dance in "Plenty."

by Anonymousreply 9803/02/2013

Joan tells Oprah to lose 50 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 9903/03/2013

It's incorrect to say that Joan is an "equal opportunity offender." She has one sacred cow: The British Royal Family.

Have you noticed that one of the most photographed woman in the world, the Duchess of Cambridge, is never discussed on The Fashion Police? Obviously, discussion of The British Royals, are off limits.

I read a Vanity Fair article ( back when it was fun to read VF) about Charles and Camilla. It was published around the time they married. Joan was present at all events, even the ulra-private party hosted by the Queen.

So even Joan Rivers has restraint, depending on who it is.

by Anonymousreply 10003/03/2013

Liz Taylor is so fat she puts mayonnaise on her aspirin.

by Anonymousreply 10103/03/2013

Let this thread die, please.

by Anonymousreply 10203/03/2013

Your queen-sized control-top pantyhose are showing, R102.

What difference should it make to you if a thread lives or dies?

by Anonymousreply 10303/03/2013

I'm sick of the trolling.

by Anonymousreply 10403/03/2013

Joan should apologize.

For still being alive.

by Anonymousreply 10503/03/2013

R100 Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 10603/03/2013

Then you should be wishing that the entirety of DL dies, R104.

by Anonymousreply 10703/03/2013

r106, Excuse you for what?

My post at r100 referred to Charles and Camilla's marraige.

by Anonymousreply 10803/03/2013

R108 Read your second sentence, dear.

by Anonymousreply 10903/03/2013

[quote]I was and still am PISSED OFF that Gilbert GOttfried got in trouble and dismissed as the voice of the AFLAC duck for insensitive tweets about a Japanese tsunami.

Who knew Gilbert Gottfried had a fan?

by Anonymousreply 11003/03/2013

OK, r108, I re-loooked at the picture and noticed Joan with the blender. That's funny.

Given how vitriolic Joan is, however, that pic could be sent to the Royals by Joan and they'd have a laugh. It's harmless.

I stand by what I previusly wrote. Rivers is hands-off with the Royals.

by Anonymousreply 11103/03/2013

Stern fans love Joan and love Gilbert.

by Anonymousreply 11203/03/2013

Joan's sacred cow is Nancy Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 11303/03/2013

[quote]Joan has a tired formula for jokes.

Tell the same joke, insert current celebrity.

Right now for fat jokes, she's using Adele. A few months ago it was Kirstie Alley, before that Elizabeth Taylor, and so on.

Comedian Adam Hills' reply to Rivers. "Fuck you," is the nicest comment.

by Anonymousreply 11403/03/2013

Who is the real Joan?

by Anonymousreply 11503/04/2013

Joan is Joan is Joan.

Or is she?

by Anonymousreply 11603/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!