Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is there a gay equivalent to "Minstrel"?

I always used to like to support gay shows, even if they weren't that good. But I can't watch more than a few minutes of "The New Normal", "Modern Family", etc. It feels like "Amos & Andy Move to the Castro". Just insulting.

Are there any gay characters on TV now with an IQ over 90?

by Anonymousreply 4003/08/2013

I think the term should be "Auntie Tom".

by Anonymousreply 102/28/2013

I think you are expecting more from television than what it can deliver.

by Anonymousreply 202/28/2013

[quote]I think the term should be "Auntie Tom".

"Swishin Fistit."

by Anonymousreply 302/28/2013

The cop on Southland is pretty atypical.

by Anonymousreply 402/28/2013

You're a turd.

by Anonymousreply 502/28/2013

Sitcoms play off of all stereotypes, not just gays. But I can see your point as if a show derives most of the humor of their gay characters from stereotypes. That's unnecessary and lazy, makes gays look one-dimensional. But if you're waiting for a day when all gay characters are complete unstereotypical, or str8-acting, you're never going to get your wish. Gays aren't just like straight people and never will be.

by Anonymousreply 702/28/2013 is full of them.

by Anonymousreply 802/28/2013

I too can't tolerate the inane stereotypes that are shoved down straight people's throats on Modern Family. Those queens are so ridiculous, and even Jack MacFarlane was less neutered!

by Anonymousreply 902/28/2013

Why are you assuming, R6, that this is an "elderly cunt," as you so elegantly put it? You love to jump to conclusions.

by Anonymousreply 1002/28/2013

Thank god Reza is so masculine.

by Anonymousreply 1102/28/2013

Because it is an elderly cunt, R10. You know it.

by Anonymousreply 1202/28/2013

The gay characters on Days of our Lives are mostly atypical and defy the stereotypes Modern Family portrays. Plus they are routinely making out or spending time in bed together shirtless. It is some of the very best representations ever for gay characters. And this is on a soap opera of all things.

by Anonymousreply 1302/28/2013

Perez Hilton

by Anonymousreply 1402/28/2013

It's no shock that tv shows make a mockery of gay characters. All you have to do is turn the tv on. They don't even try and hide it anymore.

But don't every say "Is there a gay equivalent to Minstrel". It is disrespectful to the black race. Iv'e noticed white lesbins try and pull that shit alot around here. Knock it off!

by Anonymousreply 1502/28/2013

Scandal, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, Spartacus, Mad Men, Revenge, Shameless, Girls, Nurse Jackie, The Big C, True Blood, Damages

by Anonymousreply 1602/28/2013

The Log Cabin Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 1702/28/2013

Perez Hilton.

by Anonymousreply 1802/28/2013

That's your projection, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1902/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 2003/01/2013

Nice R16

Sometimes it's good to be reminded.

by Anonymousreply 2103/01/2013

Terry on the Cleveland Show isn't stereotypical at all.

by Anonymousreply 2203/01/2013

Please explain, OP, how many episodes of "Amos 'n' Andy" you've watched and what you found wrong with them. That show had some of the finest actors in the history of television, all with impeccable comedic timing. Do you object to African Americans appearing in a sitcom? Did you also object when "Good Times" and "Sanford and Son" were on TV?

Today's sitcom actors could learn valuable lessons from watching Ernestine Wade, Alvin Childress, Spencer Williams, Roy Glenn, Nick Stewart and Amanda Randolph on "Amos 'n' Andy".

Amanda Randolph also appeared on the Danny Thomas sitcom. Nick Stewart was the voice of Br'er Bear in Disney's "Song of the South". Roy Glenn portrayed Sidney Poitier's father in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner".

by Anonymousreply 2303/01/2013

#23, you do know that the actors who played them were white?

by Anonymousreply 2403/01/2013

R24, you do know that every actor I mentioned from that TV sitcom was BLACK!!!!! "Amos 'n' Andy" was a TV sitcom that featured African American actors. You're obviously stuck in radio days.

"Amos 'n' Andy" got an Emmy nomination for best sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 2503/01/2013

How can someone in 2013 be stuck in radio days?

by Anonymousreply 2603/01/2013

Whoa! Just noted R24 is also the clueless OP. He was happy to dump on a TV sitcom about which he didn't have the slightest knowledge -- never saw it -- never knew its part in TV history -- never knew about any of the actors. He compares it to another TV sitcom about gays with nothing to back up his statements in comparing the two.

by Anonymousreply 2703/01/2013

Anyone - of any race - who fails to see the overt and embarrassing impact of racism in "Amos & Andy" needs to have his sheet cleaned. I enjoy the show (Yes, I've watched many if not most of the episodes, and listened to the white-casted radio show.) I like the characterizations. The cadences and scripting are in the tradition of earlier black presentations, and are professionally accomplished.

But the social context and pitch of the show is completely a reflection of temporal forces that we all need to bury.

The anti-OP talk here is nasty. And the OP's observations about current shows simply notes that gays aren't far enough along in equality to easily tolerate a continued barrage of stereotypical (if clever and fun) portrayals, often done by straight actors.

I would slap Eric Stonestreet across his fat face if I met him.

by Anonymousreply 2803/02/2013

R15, there is nothing wrong with asking.

In my opinion there are as many offensive depictions of gay people done by straight people, as there are of gay people by gay people, and black people by black people. The lowest common denominator always wins.

by Anonymousreply 2903/04/2013

[quote]Are there any gay characters on TV now with an IQ over 90?

by Anonymousreply 3003/04/2013

Juanita Hall (original "South Pacific" Bloody Mary) had her own Black choir that toured the nation. They performed many minstrel songs in their concerts. Soaring melodies and beautiful voices.

by Anonymousreply 3103/04/2013

[quote]Are there any gay characters on TV now with an IQ over 90?

Marshall from United States of Tara. He's one of the very rare gay male characters on TV who is not a deliberate smear against gay males.

by Anonymousreply 3203/04/2013

Nance, as about to be portrayed in the new Broadway play starring Nathan Lane.

by Anonymousreply 3303/07/2013

[quote] Plus they are routinely making out or spending time in bed together shirtless. It is some of the very best representations ever for gay characters.

That you think that the second sentence can follow the first says a lot about you, and none of it is particularly flattering.

by Anonymousreply 3403/08/2013

[quote]Marshall from United States of Tara. He's one of the very rare gay male characters on TV who is not a deliberate smear against gay males.

Too bad the show was cancelled like two years ago then.

by Anonymousreply 3503/08/2013

"Mincetrel" Duh.

by Anonymousreply 3603/08/2013

R30 Are you referring to the Sherlock played by Jonny Lee Miller in ELEMENTARY? He doesn't seem gay at all. His whores are always female and it seems they're definitely, if gradually, setting up an eventual romance between him and his female assistant, Joan Watson.

by Anonymousreply 3703/08/2013

[quote]I think the term should be "Auntie Tom".

Or "Auntie Mame."

by Anonymousreply 3803/08/2013

That poster was talking about Sherlock on PBS with Benedict Cumberpatch and Martin Whatshisname, the two lovebirds as Holmes and Watson.

by Anonymousreply 3903/08/2013

Thanks, R39. I should watch that, too.

by Anonymousreply 4003/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!