Since 1995

Sondheim won't let Barbra direct Gypsy!

Finally he does something sensible.

by Anonymousreply 3503/02/2013

Must have seen Prince of Tides.

by Anonymousreply 102/28/2013

She'll direct it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 202/28/2013

So he's ok with her starring but not directing?

I don't get what the big deal is. When you look at the Mervyn LeRoy Gypsy, Prince's Night Music film, and A Funny Thing Happened, he could do a lot worse than having Streisand direct it.

Plus, he's alright with Marshall doing Into the Woods?

by Anonymousreply 302/28/2013

What a tried project. She has tackled some interesting projects in the past. The Normal Heart would have been a good choice, due to her experience with AIDS in her own family. But she lost out on that.

by Anonymousreply 402/28/2013

He's doing her a favor. He's hoping she'll be pissed off enough to drop out completely.

She would have been a sensational Rose ten, fifteen years ago. She is too old now.

by Anonymousreply 502/28/2013

I guess this means he did watch the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 602/28/2013

I'm so tired of hearing about this project which I still don't believe will ever happen.

by Anonymousreply 702/28/2013

Maybe he'll die before filming.

by Anonymousreply 802/28/2013

I seriously doubt Sondheim has much say at all regarding GYPSY. It would most likely be the Arthur Laurents estate who could put the kibosh on it all.

by Anonymousreply 902/28/2013

The idea of anyone directing herself as Mama Rose, let alone Streisand, let alone Streisand in her 70s, is pretty scary.

by Anonymousreply 1002/28/2013

From 2011:

Last month, news broke that she would be starring in a new version of the Styne-Stephen Sondheim 1959 Broadway classic "Gypsy," playing the ultimate stage mother, Mama Rose. The news leaked "a little early, because the deal wasn't finished," Streisand said. "I am not sure about directing it. It may just be too much. I know I will be playing the part. It's like a bookend starting with 'Funny Girl.'"

A song list has been released:

Overture - Orchestra

May We Entertain You - Barbra & girls

Some People - Barbra

Small World - Barbra

Mr. Goldstone, I Love You - Barbra

Little Lamb – [Cut song, Barbra will record for Extras DVD]

You'll Never Get Away From Me - Barbra

If Momma Was Married - Girls, then Barbra joins last verse

All I Need Is the Girl - Barbra (sung after June leaves)

Everything's Coming Up Roses - Barbra

Together, Wherever We Go - Barbara, Louise, Herbie

You Gotta Get a Gimmick - Barbra (reconceived as Rose teaching strippers how to get work)

Let Me Entertain You - Louise, followed by Barbra reprise standing in the wings

Rose's Turn - Barbra

Closing Credits: The Gypsy in My Soul - Barbra

by Anonymousreply 1102/28/2013

This film will never happen.

And that's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 1202/28/2013

The Oscars proved she could never do it without auto tune.

by Anonymousreply 1302/28/2013

Grandma would be awful.

by Anonymousreply 1402/28/2013

Barbra would be 80 by the time this happened. I don't see her making any more films. Disney has also not announced Into the Woods, so that also seems iffy.

by Anonymousreply 1502/28/2013

Wait -- so the source for this is

Yeah, that's a first-rate source. LMAO.

by Anonymousreply 1602/28/2013

Barbra needs to let go of this Gypsy nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 1702/28/2013

[quote]She'll direct it anyway.

If she does, he might be made enough to whisk her away to his "naughty" room.

by Anonymousreply 1802/28/2013

MAD enuf.

by Anonymousreply 1902/28/2013

Barbra is 70. Who wants to see her old mug in Gypsy? Road Trip showed she is over and can't bring in audiences anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2002/28/2013

How would Sondheim have any say in who directs the movie? Since when do lyricists get to cast a vote on who directs the film version of their musical? I've never heard of it.

All of the gossip we get about Sondheim re: this film version of GYPSY is extremely negative. Since, as far as we know, up to this point he and Barbra have been quite friendly (he's written special lyrics for her, etc) I hope this is all just gossip and has no basis in truth. If it is true, Sondheim is really a pissy little bitch. He should only be so lucky as to have Streisand do a film version of one of his works. The film versions that have been done of his musicals ALL SUCK.

by Anonymousreply 2103/01/2013

r21, do you think the movie of West Side Story sucks?

Do you actually believe that a Streisand-helmed Gypsy would likely prove to be a better movie than West Side Story?

by Anonymousreply 2203/01/2013

Who could possibly play her father for the "Some People" scene? I can't think of any living man who is old enough. Even Pope Benedict XVI would be too young--think about that for a minute.

by Anonymousreply 2303/01/2013

actually, yes, I do think the film version of WSS sucks. I've never liked it at all and have in fact never made it through the entire film. And I love the music and have seen it on stage three times. As great as the score is though it simply doesn't work as a show and it does not work as a movie either. And I have never heard it well sung. So no, I don't like the film version of WSS and I still believe that Barbra's GYPSY would be better than any other film of Sondheim's work.

by Anonymousreply 2403/01/2013

Ugh. She's another generation's concern. And listen to the commentary for her movies. She's the most self-obsessed, narcissistic person on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 2503/01/2013

I love Barbra, but perhaps she's not age appropriate for Gypsy any longer. (Yes, I know I'm biased.)

So, is there another musical or even another movie (perhaps based on a hot book out there) in which Barbra could star?

by Anonymousreply 2603/01/2013

R24 is 17 years old, and thinks her high school production was MUCH better.

by Anonymousreply 2703/01/2013

I thought Sondheim's good friend Mike Nichols was attached. Maybe he'd only do it if Barbra dropped out, mindful of his age and health.

by Anonymousreply 2803/01/2013

How about Barbra direct and cast someone else as Rose?

by Anonymousreply 2903/01/2013

He's being foolish and mean. Streisand would be a fine director. I'd rather she be behind the camera than in front of it for this.

by Anonymousreply 3003/01/2013

He doesn't share her vision of doing "Rose's Turn" facing into the wind on the prow of a boat in NY harbor?

by Anonymousreply 3103/01/2013

Papa can you hear me Papa can you feel me Papa can you lend me 88 bucks!

by Anonymousreply 3203/01/2013

I love this story, but it's been done so many times, and Streisand MIGHT have been able to carry it off 15 years ago, but not today.

Please, Barbra, let this die a dignified death.

by Anonymousreply 3303/01/2013

Perhaps there's room for a compromise. Do you think Streisand could pull off "Liaisons"?

by Anonymousreply 3403/01/2013

Thanks for sharing that r11.

by Anonymousreply 3503/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!