Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sequester Could Happen Tomorrow

Tomorrow is the last day.

Automatic cuts? Can someone explain the whole American Sequester thing? Does that mean that Republicans get all the cuts that they want?

by Anonymousreply 3003/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 102/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 202/28/2013

How clever "the Prez" and Rahm must have been to convince the Republican House to introduce and pass this bill!

by Anonymousreply 402/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 502/28/2013

Can someone explain what a Sequester is?

by Anonymousreply 602/28/2013

A sequester is when they won't let a jury go home. They put them up in a hotel room.

by Anonymousreply 703/01/2013

I did a sequester of college. But I dropped out because I was too smart for that shit.

by Anonymousreply 803/01/2013

When you are as old as I, my dear, And I hope that you never are, You will woefully wonder why, my dear, Through your cataracts and catarrh, You could squander away or sequester

by Anonymousreply 1103/02/2013

DL has really become a gaggle of stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

Um, R3, you are so full of shit. Congress created the sequester. Read a little, bub.

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

Ah, austerity --

Eurozone jobless rate climbs to record 11.9% in January

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2013

So now the Sequester has happened, what now?

I am reading that nothing really will change. Both sides are now backtracking saying that they could manage with the cuts after all.

by Anonymousreply 1603/02/2013

For all of the gloom and doom that the politicians were threatening these cuts represent about .05% of the total federal budget which is around $3 Trillion. The exact budget figure is unknown as the government has not been operating on a budget for the past couple of years but on continuing resolutions funding while both parties play their games of political brinksmanship. Their $85 billion in cuts are the equivalent of a deck chair on the Queen Mary, hell more like a pillow on a deck chair on the Queen Mary. If the government was really serious about cutting spending they would look at the blank cheque behemoth called the Defense Dept.

In 2010 the US gov collected $898 billion in taxes/revenue duties and spent $847 billion on defense/wars that is 94% of your tax dollars going to a dept that is too big to be audited and has a track record of 'misplacing' amounts on the order of $2 Trillion as announced very quietly on Sept 10, 2001 the day before Sept 11, 2001.

If they were serious about deficit reduction, fire 1 in every 2 people at the Pentagon, dissolve Dept of Homeland Security and its infrastructure (i.e the hundreds of 'fusion centers' across the US) and then talk about dissolving the CIA which was actively discussed by Bush 1 in 1989 after the fall of the Berlin Wall. You don't hear those discussions any more.

Always remember that when government agencies have their back up against the wall they are more concerned with their own survival then solving the problems that they were created for originally. The law of diminishing returns is very much in effect in any gov program/agency. There is no incentive to solve the last 5% or 1% of a problem. In the case of defense, enemies are created out of thin air to justify the continued expenditures.

For example a UN program established to rid the world of Polio may start out effective with a small budget but over time the stationary budget for the agency soon balloons far beyond the original appropriated monies devoted to solving the problem when the program was 1st created. Polio may still exist in small pockets but the agency has no real incentive to wipe out that remaining 1%.

by Anonymousreply 1803/02/2013

There are about 250,000 people working for the NSA and CIA who could be laid off without affecting national security.

by Anonymousreply 2003/02/2013

[quote]For all of the gloom and doom that the politicians were threatening these cuts represent about .05% of the total federal budget which is around $3 Trillion

A highly misleading figure since such programs as Social Security and Medicare were untouched. That makes these cuts on the rest of the budget far more than just ".05%," which is why people are talking "gloom and doom," not to mention the fact that the cuts are stupid, unnecessary, and worthless.

by Anonymousreply 2103/04/2013

the houses of congress all need to be fired.

by Anonymousreply 2403/04/2013

Creating jobs is more important than worrying about the deficit or "entitlements". People are buying into conservative bullshit just the way they wanted.

by Anonymousreply 2503/04/2013

[quote]Pay should be inline with the private sector.

You're going to give them all raises? Cool.

by Anonymousreply 2703/04/2013

Stop paying salaries to congressmen and the president until they solve this.

by Anonymousreply 2803/04/2013

R20, I'm on to you, Al-Qaeda operative.

by Anonymousreply 2903/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!