Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What should I see in Greece?

What are the prettiest cities and islands? What are the most interesting historical sites?

I'm definitely going to Athens and Delphi--not sure what else to see. Please give me advice as to what else to see and why.

by Anonymousreply 3002/28/2013

All the hot hairy greek guys

by Anonymousreply 102/27/2013

Go to the Isle of Greece.

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2013

No advice?

by Anonymousreply 302/28/2013

How much time do you have? What time of year are you going? What activities are most important to you?

by Anonymousreply 402/28/2013

Stockard Channing.

by Anonymousreply 502/28/2013

The fall of their economy

by Anonymousreply 602/28/2013

[quote]How much time do you have?

2 weeks

[quote]What time of year are you going?

October

[quote]What activities are most important to you?

Seeing beautiful things and historical things.

by Anonymousreply 702/28/2013

Island of Mykonos is 85% gay.

by Anonymousreply 802/28/2013

Big dicked Greek men.......what else

by Anonymousreply 902/28/2013

Nude Greco-Roman wrestling.

by Anonymousreply 1002/28/2013

Rub extra virgin olive oil over your body before having sex and see if it turns you into less of a tart.

by Anonymousreply 1102/28/2013

Bring your own prescription drugs!

by Anonymousreply 1202/28/2013

Meteora

Delphi

The Vikos Gorge

by Anonymousreply 1302/28/2013

Just try not to get a molotov cocktail thrown at you.

by Anonymousreply 1402/28/2013

If you're driving remember how crazily the greeks drive:

Amber light = accelerate Red light = go very fast Green light = stop (to avoid the greek drivers going through the intersection on the red light)

Lane markings have no meaning. People drive every direction on every part of the road - including road verges.

by Anonymousreply 1502/28/2013

R15, it's like that for most of eastern europe and the middle east.

by Anonymousreply 1602/28/2013

Greece is a beautiful place to visit. Mykonos is less gay than people think, however it is the gayest of all the islands and this was my home base for seven days. Island hopping is fun there is a fairy system that links them and the travel time is exceptionally scenic. Athens is a blast, and there are lots a great historical places to visit, i stayed there four days. I was there in June 2008.

by Anonymousreply 1702/28/2013

A therapist

by Anonymousreply 1802/28/2013

[quote]there is a fairy system

Oh, double dear.

Please provide details about the "fairy" system. Is that sort of like the hanky code?

by Anonymousreply 1902/28/2013

The best way to see Greece is on your back with your legs hooked behind your ears.

by Anonymousreply 2002/28/2013

OP if you have the time to make the trip, I would suggest Parga. Its a tiny town in the north. There's a nice beach, a Venetian fort and the ferry to Corfu.

A note about the myth of gay Greek men. It's a myth. Greeks are EXTREMELY religious, very repressed. Very few of them are out. You will certainly encounter lots of gay Germans and Englishman and Scandinavians, but unless you're into cruising restrooms, you wont find many gay Greeks.

by Anonymousreply 2102/28/2013

Sometimes a pubic hair.

by Anonymousreply 2202/28/2013

I loved Santorini. Serene and gorgeous. Found it nicer than Mykonos. If you walk to the top of the hill you will find a golden lab there who poses for pictures. He waits for people to come up the hill, then he climbs up on the wall next to where people stand to pose and you get a photo with a beautiful pooch. Dont' forget to put a buck in the Animal Welfare tip jar down the hill. I would totally skip Athens. Ugh.

Cruising the Aegean is a delight. Especially if you end up in Venice.

by Anonymousreply 2302/28/2013

If your'e looking for something offbeat and you're male, Mt. Athos.

by Anonymousreply 2402/28/2013

The twin Islands in the western Aegean Sea, Jerkos and Offos.

by Anonymousreply 2502/28/2013

I love Rhodes, a very varied island, and near to Turkey, so there is a distinct nice turkish influence. Rhodes Old Town is amazing, with its medieval battlements, near Mandraki harbour, where you can get boats to Lindos, a dreamy perfect Greek village with 2 lovely wide beaches (it must be marvellous there at night, as I will find out when I return next year), and another perfect ruin at the top overlooking the Aegean. My favourite place ...

by Anonymousreply 2602/28/2013

Greek men though go to see fairly quickly in early middle age.

by Anonymousreply 2702/28/2013

seed, obviously

by Anonymousreply 2802/28/2013

Previous thread with info, op.

by Anonymousreply 2902/28/2013

Late Spring and early Fall are the best times to visit: fewer tourists and perfect climate. In October, the water is very warm. Perfect for swimming and snorkling. In Spring, the wildflowers are spectacular.

Haven't seen the mainland other than Athens, an ugly city, which I don't much care for, other than the Acropolis, and dinner in the Plaka.

Am biased because my family is from the Cyclades. Mykonos is NOT very gay, and has become an ugly, tacky, tourist trap. There are some gay-friendly and fun nightclub, and of course the "gay beach".

If you end up going to Mykonos, a half-day excursion to the island of Delos is an absolute must. Google it for images.

Nearby islands (especially Tinos), Naxos, and Paros are much less touristy and very traditionally Greek. Everywhere, Greek hospitality will warm your heart -- especially if you learn a few Greek phrases. Explore remote villages by rental car. DO NOT use a scooter unless you want to become a brain donor. You'll find delightful ruins and beautiful architecture everywhere. Every town has steep and winding cobblestone narrow alleys.

Santorini(Thira) is a MUST see. Visit the main town (it is the entry port) for its shops, stay in Oia in the North. Take a cruise on the Caldera, visit the ruins of Akrotiri, wineries (white wines are a specialty).

I am part Cretin, I confess. If you or anyone else is interested, I'll write more about Crete.

There are so many other delightful island groups, and of course the Peloponnese, along with other areas on the mainland to see. I am only writing about what I've seen, myself.

Kalo taxidi, agapi mou! Bon voyage, sweetie!

by Anonymousreply 3002/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.