Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Andrew Sullivan, Gay Catholic Blogger, Speculates Pope Is Gay

"So Benedict’s handsome male companion will continue to live with him, while working for the other Pope during the day," Sullivan writes. "Are we supposed to think that’s, well, a normal arrangement?"

Clearly, Sullivan does not.

by Anonymousreply 4003/02/2013

I hate Andrew Sullivan with a passion. A complete douche.

As to the Pope's attendant well the Catholic church hates women and sex. So no way would they pair up such a high ranking member of the Church with a woman whom might "tempt" him or a nun who'd be too unworthy of His presence.

by Anonymousreply 102/27/2013

As a former priest, who was celibate until I left the priesthood, I can say that this really is normal in the world of priests. As strange as it seems. a priest can be seen with other males and not be thought of as gay by fellow priest and parishioners, but if his friend is a woman, there's a great amount of conjecture that they are having an affair. It is such a sick world. Sully might be right that the Pope is gay, but this situation is no proof of that.

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2013

Andrew can write the Pope's coming out letter the way he did for Anderson Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 302/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2013

R2, how old were you when you left the priesthood? Do you still have your faith? I considered it very seriously. But -- much to my Mother's unhappiness....

by Anonymousreply 502/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 602/28/2013

[quote]a woman whom might "tempt" him

by Anonymousreply 702/28/2013

Georg Gaeswein (sp?) is long-rumored to be Benny's partner.

by Anonymousreply 802/28/2013

Face it, the Pope is old and ugly. If this is a gay relationship, Gaeswein must be in it for the fame and fortune, cause it sure as hell can't be physical.

Sugar daddy, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 902/28/2013

Gay swine?

by Anonymousreply 1002/28/2013

OP, Sullivan is right. Do you disagree?

by Anonymousreply 1102/28/2013

"Sullivan concluded that it "seems pretty obvious" that "the current Pope is "a gay man," albeit one who has not "explored his sexuality, or has violated his own strictures on the matter.""

Why is it obvious that he has not explored his sexuality or violated his own strictures, Andrew?

And does you adding this take credibility away from you first statement: the much more persuasive suggestion that the Pope is gay?

By saying both you seem to lose steam, have it both ways, and underscore that you are jumping to conclusions in the style of DL posts which base beliefs on "you just know"

Mind you I find it not at all surprising that the Pope is actively gay, I just don't understand Sullivan's saying the same thing but also saying that he must be celibate. Why is it so hard to believe that the Pope isn't celibate and is just a huge fucking hypocrite?

by Anonymousreply 1202/28/2013

r9, they've been together since Georg was ordained in 1984 at 28, when Joe was his "mentor."

by Anonymousreply 1302/28/2013

And you *know* how they pronounce Georg where they're from.

by Anonymousreply 1402/28/2013

lovers, although the mental image is atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 1502/28/2013

Why on earth wouldn't you just link to the source, OP? What is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 1602/28/2013

"Face it, the Pope is old and ugly. If this is a gay relationship, Gaeswein must be in it for the fame and fortune, cause it sure as hell can't be physical."

You don't think having the Pope as your boyfriend isn't motivation enough to hang with the old geezer?

by Anonymousreply 1702/28/2013

Better check the vault inventories.

by Anonymousreply 1802/28/2013

Georg looks like Tom Tryon in The Cardinal. Which just happens to be playing on TCM this very moment, in case anyone is interested.

by Anonymousreply 1902/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 2002/28/2013

Quite a while ago, Dear Sully put up a photo of Georg fussily fussing with Popey's cape with the caption: "They LOOK like an old married couple to me!"

by Anonymousreply 2102/28/2013

Homosexual relationships are ultimately emotional. The emotion extends to sexual

by Anonymousreply 2202/28/2013

obviously pope benedict is gay, and he is a crook, too

by Anonymousreply 2302/28/2013

Spot on!

by Anonymousreply 2402/28/2013

Georg sounds like a house boy.

by Anonymousreply 2502/28/2013

I think for this lot, power and structure substitutes for sex. I mean the ones who make it through the ranks of the church hierarchy to the really really super top. The Vatican, and the church hierarchy, is a total bitch nest. The only difference between them and run of the mill politicians is they have largely mastered discretion.

I'm not saying tons of priests aren't gay, just that when you ascend into the big church leagues, you're a master player and getting naked is about the last thing you need to do to get off.

by Anonymousreply 2602/28/2013

How much does a pope make? Is it a salaried position? How about benefits?

by Anonymousreply 2702/28/2013

There's a good medical program for everyone at the Vatican, known at Popecare. Since there is no pope right now, they all just lost their medical benefits until there's a new pope.

by Anonymousreply 2802/28/2013

I imagine fucking the Pope's wrinkly old ass while he screams "Oh God, oh God" while wearing only his crucifix and red Prada shoes must be quite surreal.

by Anonymousreply 2902/28/2013

Well, it certainly wouldn't be very pretty to look at.

by Anonymousreply 3002/28/2013

I suspect a very high percentage of people in the catholic church are gay. Either that or in love with the virgin Mary.

by Anonymousreply 3102/28/2013

Both true

by Anonymousreply 3203/01/2013

Please, we do not want the Nazi, say it isn't so.

by Anonymousreply 3303/01/2013

I'd like to see Sully write about Pope Paul VI also. There are probably some interesting stories from that reign.

by Anonymousreply 3403/02/2013

I love Vatican drama. So fucked up. It's like you combined the gay drama and egos of a broadway backstage and the petty and complicated politics of a administrative office.

-Georg was put on a Vanity Fair cover (not with the Vatican's permission or his apparently) shortly before the Pope left. Embarrassing for the Vatican that this guy was getting rock star treatment in Italy?

-Georg was supposedly seen sneaking around with a woman, and that was causing a different type of speculation. I wonder if Georg was using the pope for power/influence and stringing him along. But maybe I just can't picture anyone wanting to spend their life attached to an elderly bridge troll.

by Anonymousreply 3503/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 3603/02/2013

True R36, but what's the point of $$$$$$$$$$$$ if you can only spend on new fancy clergy mumuus and with your wizened pope boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 3703/02/2013

Georg is a ski champ and pilot so he's not popeing 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 3803/02/2013

The story that he is gay was reported in the gay press when he was appointed. Old news Andrew.

by Anonymousreply 3903/02/2013

Isn't is assumed that almost all the popes gay? What straight guy would voluntarily spend their life never fucking a woman, and cloistered with a bunch of men?

by Anonymousreply 4003/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!