Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think Oprah Winfrey is homophobic?

Watch the interview in the link.

I am very disappointed to discover that Winfrey may be homophobic considering how much of a fan I am of her.

Poor Heath Ledger had sit through it all. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 3807/25/2013

part 2

by Anonymousreply 102/27/2013

I think she's over. Move on, Dude.

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2013

When Rosie said that Gayle and Oprah's road trip was a little bit gay....Oprah said she was very offended and thought it was a terrible thing to say. I thought that did show her homophobia since why is it so terrible to be called a lesbian?

When she gave Rosie a show I saw it is just another part of her big forgiveness campaign: Iyanla, that author, Rosie....

by Anonymousreply 302/27/2013

She's an idiot from Nashville. She just needs to be educated.

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2013

She's always having blatant homophobe religious leaders like Joel Osteen on her OWN next Chapter show. I refuse to watch to see if she talks about it, but none the less, she gives him a forum which offends me.

by Anonymousreply 502/27/2013

Oprah's from Nashville? I thought she was poor black chile from Mississipi who grew up to be The Empress of Celebrity Ass Kissing.

Or are you making a lame "Grand Ole Opry" joke?

by Anonymousreply 602/27/2013

[quote]blatant homophobe religious leaders like Joel Osteen

You might want to look up the definition of blatant. Olsteen avoids the topic of homosexuality (as well as abortion and sex in general). None of his preachings or writings mention homosexuality. The only reason we know his views on the topic is that Piers Morgan asked him his views and his response was that as a fundamentalist, homosexuals are 'not God's best work'

Not very nice of him and homophobic withjout a doubt but hardly 'blatant'

by Anonymousreply 802/27/2013

blatant blātnt Adjective

1.(of bad behavior) Done openly and unashamedly: "blatant lies". 2.Completely lacking in subtlety; very obvious.

Conservative televangelist Joel Osteen on Thursday asserted that homosexuality was a sin and not “God’s Best”

Is that enough for you R8?

by Anonymousreply 902/28/2013

R8's probably a Cher fan trying to make it seem perfectly reasonable that she gushed her love of Joel to a million twitter followers. Only a moron could imagine a megachurch pastor wouldn't be anti-gay.

by Anonymousreply 1002/28/2013

R8, quit playing quibbling games over an asshole who says that gay people are not God's best work.

Your apologist stance is blatantly offensive and misplaced here.

Happy?

by Anonymousreply 1102/28/2013

I don't see how judgmental this sow can be. I mean she fucked her own father for Christ's sake!

by Anonymousreply 1202/28/2013

Oprah's savvy enough to know that verbalize her disgust for homosexuals would be bad for her image. Occasionally, she does slip.

by Anonymousreply 1303/01/2013

No, and yes she is.

I grew up coming home from school to my mother watching Oprah.

She did many shows about discrimination against gay and trans-gendered people. She spoke of and showed her attachment to her long-time hairdresser and lots of other gay people that severviced her. She is not anti-gay. It is not one of her causes.

She did quite a few shows on AIDS as it affected all groups.

I doubt that Oprah thinks that she is homophobic, but she has never taken a stance and I have a weird feeling that she sees gay people as less than, all other things being equal.

I am pretty sure that she had a half-brother who died of AIDS, and she never mentioned it on her show. She does have a very fractured family connection.

If we know nothing of her, we know that whatever affects Oprah - she publicly gives her voice, power, action and dollars to.

I do think that she is homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 1403/01/2013

She really liked doing shows on Brotha's on the Down Low. And she always feigned SHOCK that so many Black men were bat for both teams. All she needed to do was roll over in bed.

by Anonymousreply 1503/01/2013

So true, r15.

by Anonymousreply 1607/25/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1707/25/2013

It's still primary black culture to be homophobic, mostly because of the Baptist/Pentecostal/evangelical church's role in the black community.

Funny that, how people who have had to fight hardest for civil rights (and whom we could rightfully argue still have far to go in that fight) are the first to throw LGBT people under the bus.

by Anonymousreply 1807/25/2013

She also had this ex-meth head prostitute Jay Dagenhart on her show (who I used to know in NYC back in the 90s. Complete fucking asshole).

This guy made it sound like all gay men everywhere were monolithically falling victim to meth addiction, and that it would soon wipe out just as many of them as AIDS. The sweeping generalizations this douche was making, primarily based on his own tawdry anecdotal experience, were infuriating.

Of course fucking Oprah just sat there, nodding her head, echoing everything he was saying. And her audience of idiot, gullible fraus literally had their collective jaws hanging in astonishment and horror at how sex crazed and drug addled the homosexual community was.

by Anonymousreply 1907/25/2013

Oprah isn't homophobic. Give me a fucking break. I don't think she gets enough credit for what she's done for the gay community. She has stuck her neck out so many times when she didn't have to.

Her Women of Brewster Place miniseries featured a positive portrayal of a proud black lesbian couple and the trials they went through at the hands of bigots. And it was the first time (to my knowledge) that two women shared a same sex kiss on television. An honor that was somehow bestowed on Roseanne some five years later.

She appeared on the groundbreaking Ellen coming out episode (Ellen personally requested her appearance given all of the positive stories Oprah had done on AIDS and gays throughout the years)

At the following link is one of many stories Oprah has done about gay people and gay rights. All positive.

I think it's a damn shame that many of you hold black people to such a higher standard than every other minority (Especially whites) Nothing they ever do is good enough for you. And then you wonder why many of them don't bother to come out. To what? You wouldn't support them anyways.

by Anonymousreply 2007/25/2013

Oprah Winfrey says that gay people who marry may help strengthen the institution of marriage — in support of what a rapidly growing number of Americans believe. The 59-year old talk show host, media mogul, and, some say, the most influential woman in the world, told a panel on “Super Soul Sunday” this week that “Maybe the gay people can help” strengthen the institution of marriage.

by Anonymousreply 2107/25/2013

Oprah thinks of gay men the same way Paula Deen thinks of black people.

by Anonymousreply 2207/25/2013

SHe's a big homo herself

by Anonymousreply 2307/25/2013

We all know that most closeted gay people come off sounding homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 2407/25/2013

As the interviewer she has to play the devil's advocate and ask things that seem homophobic

by Anonymousreply 2507/25/2013

Agreed...she was playing into the controversy surrounding the movie.

by Anonymousreply 2607/25/2013

R8, go fucking fuck yourself!! Fuck right off!!

More than once when I've turned to The CBS Sunday Morning Show, Joel fucking Osteen's show is not over, and I have heard with my own ears, where he is telling his hateful zombie minions to, "not be fooled into believing that the homosexual lifestyle & agenda is not immoral &wrong, simply because the media has embraced & accepted it".

R8, If you are gay I feel bad for you. If you are not gay you need to get your ass back to any of the thousands of websites that welcome bullshit uninformed opinions such as yours!

I'm choking on my own rage! What could you possibly be trying to accomplish by posting what you did???!!! Seriously. I'd like you to explain.

There are enough people out there trying to make trouble for gay people everyday. The last thing I need is shit-stirring motherfuckers like you coming to a gay men's posting board DEFENDING JOEL FUCKING OSTEEN !!!!???

by Anonymousreply 2707/25/2013

[quote]I am pretty sure that she had a half-brother who died of AIDS, and she never mentioned it on her show.

She often mentioned him on her show.

No, she's not homophobic at all. She's made that clear over & over, with her four leaf clover analogy.

I'm getting fed up of people calling people homophobes who are clearly not, on DL.

There are enough homophobes around without needing to vilify people who don't deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 2807/25/2013

thank you, R20 R21 and R28 I don't think Oprah is homophobic at all.

by Anonymousreply 2907/25/2013

R28 THEN WHY DOES SHE GIVE A WHOLE HOUR OF HER,"OPRAH'S LIFE CLASS(?)" TO AN ANTI-GAY HYPOCRITE (WHO THINKS BEING GAY IS A CHOICE, BUT CANNOT SAY WHEN/HOW HE CHOSE TO BE STRAIGHT?),LIKE JOEL FUCKING OSTEEN???

She's a self-hating closet-case!?!? When it becomes FINANCIALLY VIABLE to come out believe me she will,and I will loathe her even more.

Oprah's Life Class? If it wasn't so sad it would still be pretty sad.

Really tired of some of the dumb motherfuckers, who think they're smart,who hang around here.

by Anonymousreply 3007/25/2013

Well, she likes John Travolta.

by Anonymousreply 3107/25/2013

Oprah is a business woman first and foremost--so if Joel Osteen is a huge star then she will promote him.

She did appear on Ellen though, when Ellen was taking shit for being out.

Oprah, like many on the DL here, dislikes stereotypical gays. She dislikes butch lesbians and flaming fairies. If you want to call that homophobic, then yeah, she is in that regard.

If it's true that Oprah was a teenaged prostitute than her latest Kelly bio insisted then Oprah is a bisexual. All female prostitutes are bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 3207/25/2013

Oprah is too smart to be homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 3307/25/2013

Don't females who were sexually molested as children often grow up to be lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 3407/25/2013

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 3507/25/2013

[quote]No, she's not homophobic at all. She's made that clear over & over, with her four leaf clover analogy.

This calls for an explanation.

by Anonymousreply 3607/25/2013

Oprah played the therapist in the coming out episode of the Ellen sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 3707/25/2013

"When Rosie said that Gayle and Oprah's road trip was a little bit gay....Oprah said she was very offended and thought it was a terrible thing to say. I thought that did show her homophobia since why is it so terrible to be called a lesbian?"

I don't know why Oprah thought it was a horrible thing to say but I thought it was idiotic because "so gay" and "a little bit gay" have become synonymous with "not cool," as Rosie well knows, and so have taken on a very homophobic meaning, and there is nothing "so (or a little) gay," no matter how one defines it, about two women (or men for that matter) going on a roadtrip.

by Anonymousreply 3807/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.