Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should I take a job working 4 a.m. until noon?

It sounds brutal, but I'm basically at the end of my rope. I'd be dealing a lot with other time zones, hence the weird hours. I am a heavy sleeper and can't imagine waking up at 3 in the morning, but maybe my body would get used to it? I don't know. Have any of you worked odd shifts? Does it mess up your body?

by Anonymousreply 2503/01/2013

OP, Can you fall asleep easily? Some people can adjust to working different shifts, others can't. Those that get up at 3 am have learned to go to bed in the early evening, and hopefully live alone or with others who are very quiet. They're developing a drug for shift workers, so they don't need to rely on alcohol and caffeine.

by Anonymousreply 102/27/2013

Yeah, you would have to be in bed by 7 or 8 each night.

But then, you get out at 12!! You have the whole rest of the day to do what you need to do,

The trick is to not nap during the day and then you will be sleepy enough to go to bed early.

I go in at 6 and wake up at 4:30.

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2013

Halcion was the best drug ever for off shift workers. I used to get an RX every time I got rotated to the night shift.

One thing I could not do was 12 hour might shifts. All the soccer moms wanted 12 hour shifts so they could "have 4 nights a week off." Let me tell you, when you work 12 hr nights, there's no such thing as a "week." And our 12 hr shifts were 12.5 hr shifts, which meant they were 13 hr shifts. I would sleep all day and night on my nights off, catching up on lost sleep.

There was no such thing as working 3 nights in a row and having 4 nights in a row off. It NEVER worked that way. Only once a month did I get 3 nights in a row off. And we had to add an extra shift every month in order to make full time status.

It was much more sane to work 8 hr night shifts.

by Anonymousreply 302/27/2013

What do you people "do"?

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2013

My partner was a postal worker who once worked 4:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. He had mixed feelings about it. He loved getting off work in the middle of the day; it was very convenient for running errands, scheduling dr. appts., etc.

But OTOH, he had to go to bed by 8:00 p.m. at the latest if he was to get enough sleep. That was a PITA for both of us; my schedule was the usual 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and I didn't get home until 6:00 p.m. at the earliest.

So we rarely were able to go out during the week, not even out for dinner, and since I didn't usually go to bed until midnight, I had to be very quiet after he went to bed. In fact, during the week, we slept in separate bedrooms.

He worked that schedule for several years, and I don't think he ever really adjusted to it.

by Anonymousreply 502/27/2013

I'm a total night person, and I did such a job in college for over a year. Going to bed at 8pm is definitely weird and hard at first, but you can do it.

by Anonymousreply 602/27/2013

I worked on a movie crew a few years ago and we did 10 overnight shoots in a department store. 5 nights one week, then a weekend off, then another 5 nights. On the day after that final night I felt these hot flashes shooting up and down and my arms suddenly turned beet red. It was pretty alarming. But it was just my body shrieking "What the fuck did you just do to me!" Within an hour I was fine.

by Anonymousreply 702/27/2013

R5, what's PITA, precious? What's PITA?

by Anonymousreply 802/28/2013

PITA = pain in the ass

by Anonymousreply 902/28/2013

OP, if you are truly at the end of your rope, give it a shot. What do you have to lose? You might adapt to it and stick with it for a while, pay some bills off.

by Anonymousreply 1002/28/2013

I've worked all kinds of fucked up shifts. Last job I had I worked from 4:30 pm to 1 am. I also did a stint on graveyard from 10:30 pm to 6am. And then I'd get stuck doing training stuff from 6 am to 2:30.

I fared better on the late night shifts. I tend to get insomnia and like to stay up late.

The hardest part about working odd shifts is that they can be very isolating. When most everybody you know works 9 to 5, your not going to be around or awake when your friends are. You'll have no social life.

WHen I was working the odd hours, my shifts got changed usually every 6 months. That screwed me up the most.

My current job just asked me to start coming in an hour earlier and I've been exhausted all the time since I don't want to go to bed an hour earlier.

by Anonymousreply 1102/28/2013

Amen, R3, Halcion is/was the best. Sadly, my current Doctor won't prescribe it for me. It was THE best sleeping pill in the world. Op, if you are doing the 4 AM - Noon shift Monday through Friday you'll be fine. I had a job which involved different shift hours for every day of the week, aside from Sunday. That was a nightmare. I could have handled it better if every day had been the early shift (5:45 AM - 4.15 PM) but because every day was different, my entire body clock was perpetually fucked up. If you've been out of work and this is all you can find, take it.

by Anonymousreply 1202/28/2013

What type of job is it?

by Anonymousreply 1302/28/2013

Graveyard is a killer, even part-graveyard. Ever notice how fat and prematurely gray those poor souls are? Do it if that's all there is for now, but spend every waking hour looking for something else.

by Anonymousreply 1402/28/2013

All the radio folk you to listen to in the morning have shifts OP describes, they've done for years with no problem.

by Anonymousreply 1502/28/2013

OP, if you don't take this job, will you be ok till the next offer comes in? It's not so hard getting use to a new sleep/awake pattern.

I work in an in a huge hospital in a very large hospice unit. My shift changes three times a year. Some people do great, while others are permanent day shifters just dragging their asses thru their turns on swing and grave shift. What saves me is coffee, fresh food and and meletonin. After four months of dayshift my body wants to be asleep by nine pm. Half way thru my swing shift.

I drink a huge cup of coffee when I get up and again with whatever my work meal is (breakfast, lunch or dinner). The caffiene wears off by the time I'm headed for home. The first couple of weeks after shift change I take meletonin an hour before I want to be asleep. I make sure I have black out curtains in my bedroom and turn my cell phone off. I still have a landline but the only people who have the number is my hospital, my parents and my best friend. None of who call me unless it's an actual emergency.

Other people switch their meals around, having breakfast when they get up, lunch in the mid point of their shift and dinner once they are done for the day. From what I can tell it doesn't work to well. People doing this put on 10-15 lbs when they are working swing and then another 10-15 lbs when they go to graveyard shift.

On my day off I go to the store and buy a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables along with whatever I think I might want for dinner that week. I cut up a huge amount of fruit and put it in plastic tupperware like containers so I have a weeks worth of fruit salad

Some of the people I work with have had to take an Rx sleep med for 7-10 days to get their sleep patterns on the right shift.

It also helps to eat as healthy as possible,(our hospital has 24/7 fresh juice bar which is great when things get crazy and I can't run down to get a meal right away) also it's important to get the right ammount of exercise, and take vitamins.

Another thought, if you take this job and do well, (and still hate the shift you're working) when a job opening comes up on the shift you want you might have a pretty good shot at getting it

by Anonymousreply 1602/28/2013

Worse for your body than 4/Noon is rotating days, evenings, and nights like many cops and firemen do.

by Anonymousreply 1702/28/2013

When I was finish up my bachelor's, I took classes in the afternoon and worked 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. I adjusted to the schedule, but I found I lost touch with friends because what free time I had was in the afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 1802/28/2013

OP, that schedule is a working mom's dream. They love it because all they need is someone to get their kids off to school and they can be there for them after. They go to bed early along with their kids. If you take the job, all your co-workers will be mommy-fraus.

by Anonymousreply 1902/28/2013

Take the job. If you hate it, you have plenty of time in the afternoons to go on interviews for something else.

by Anonymousreply 2002/28/2013

A tweny-year study of nurses who worked graveyard showed they had more cases of cancer than the general population.

by Anonymousreply 2102/28/2013

R15, I know a radio drive-time guy who has to be asleep by 9pm and up at 3am and he's not fine. He thinks he is, but he's not. He's been doing it for years, has high blood pressure, diabetes, is overweight, has a bad marriage and family life and has developed a compulsive gambling addiction.

He used to make excellent money, but radio is no longer what it was and he's taken a huge cut in pay. He makes about 1/4 what he used to make. It ain't worth it.

by Anonymousreply 2202/28/2013

I would totally do it as I live alone and dont have people that live with me that would make me feel weird about going to sleep at 6pm.

I would also love to be able to have the afternoons free to take advantage of uncrowded stores, appointments and other interviews!

by Anonymousreply 2302/28/2013

Left to my own devices, I wind up completely on that shedule naturally, falling asleep at 7pm and waking t about 2am. I'm always tired at 7pm and if I don't go to bed then, I'm up until 5am or later. If you don't take the job, I will, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2402/28/2013

It's awful. The problem is that your body never adjusts.

I worked overnights and as soon as you have a weekend you go back to sleeping normal.

And the real problem is it is only like getting one day off.

For example let's say you get Sat and Sun off.

You are at work on a Saturday (at 7am) and you are at work on a Sunday (at 11pm), so it FEELS like you're only getting one day off.

Don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 2503/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!