Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Educated People Who Vote Republican

You know these people. Why on Earth do they vote this way, especially if it's not over money? Is it emotion? I guess colleges can't teach people to get their emotions in check.

by Anonymousreply 3903/09/2013

They don't. Computers make up the entire Republican vote.

by Anonymousreply 102/27/2013

Excluding being born into a republican family. I think something happened to them. For instance they were mugged or some life changing event happened that twisted their outlook.

Even on Datalounge. If some of you have been here awhile, right after 911 this place got very 'hawky', surprisingly so. I think it's easier to go from Democrat to Republican than going from Republican to Democrat. I'm sure it happens, but I would assume that it's just easier to go from D to R.

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2013

I believe that they have created their own reality. Similar to the teahadists, but different really. Those Tea Party folks buy into every batshit crazy thing that Rush and Beck peddle. The "educated" Republican voters believe that in their little world, people like Mitt Romney advance sane, sensible positions no matter what the man may have actually said or done.

by Anonymousreply 302/27/2013

How else are we supposed to keep the underclasses' down?

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2013

Are you counting graduates of Liberty University as "educated"?

by Anonymousreply 602/27/2013

The crazies are trying to take over (see R5 and R7). Do not let them.

by Anonymousreply 802/28/2013

[quote]Economics and national defense.

You mean like George W. Bush, the guy who lowered taxes, then got us into two wars and did not raise taxes to pay for the wars? Is that your idea of being sensible about the national budget?

by Anonymousreply 902/28/2013

I have never understood how intelligent, educated people believe in Christianity or other similarly ridiculous religions.

by Anonymousreply 1002/28/2013

Of course it's counterintuitive that an educated person would vote Republican. But many become credentialed with having attended higher education who retain all the prejudices, dogmas, and cant they came to the party with.

One might pose the same question about educated people and religion.

by Anonymousreply 1102/28/2013

People who think that we shouldn't help the less fortunate among us vote Republican. They tend to talk only amongst themselves . They have the loony idea that their taxes should be as low as possible because after all, who needs government. They are the contemporary equvalent of Nero fiddling while Rome burns.

by Anonymousreply 1202/28/2013

[quote]One might pose the same question about educated people and religion.

One already did.

by Anonymousreply 1302/28/2013

They tend to be nerdish, libertarians who think they're hard working business people or entrepreneurship, yet these types are the classic "Born of third base, thinking they hit a home run".

They love to spout off about "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" yet Daddy bought them their Ivy league education and paid the down payment on their first McMansion.

Mitt Romney is the alpha version of exactly this. He's educated and I'd even say smart, but he's a Republican tool and a sheltered asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1402/28/2013

"Why on Earth do they vote this way, especially if it's not over money?"

It's ALWAYS about money. I've never met or even heard of an educated Republican who wasn't "MINE! MINE! MINE!" and "NONE!" for everybody else. Or who didn't think rich people were better than the great unwashed. And think of who can afford college these days. It's been skewing more and more to the 1%. That's why I think r15's post is ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 1602/28/2013

[quote]saddling future generations with unnecessary debt.

Why worry about it? We'll be dead.

by Anonymousreply 1702/28/2013

[quote]saddling future generations with unnecessary debt.

I could buy that argument, if they were saying it during W's administration. But they didn't, which makes the claim suspect.

by Anonymousreply 1802/28/2013

Republican acquaintances I know are weirdly religious and weirdly closeted. OR, over 65 and afraid of reality. OR, just old fashioned bigots.

by Anonymousreply 1902/28/2013

[quote]I could buy that argument, if they were saying it during W's administration. But they didn't, which makes the claim suspect.

Indeed, or during Reagan's administration, when the military budget skyrocketed as taxes on high incomes were slashed.

by Anonymousreply 2002/28/2013

A college degree doesn't mean that a person is smart. Look at Tim Tebow.

Rethuglicans are stupid people.

by Anonymousreply 2102/28/2013

I believe Republicans are basically people without empathy. Their brains haven't evolved as fully as those of people who are able to understand others' problems and suffering. They vote simply for whatever they want for themselves. It isn't a matter of intelligence, it's simply a matter of being a lower form of human.

by Anonymousreply 2202/28/2013

Some recent study showed that conservatives are indeed hard-wired to be so.

by Anonymousreply 2302/28/2013

It's like belonging to any group you perceive to be white, wealthy and powerful. They hold their noses and sign on the dotted line in blood, for the goodies it will provide to them.

Same for Nazi Germany- but that's another thread.

by Anonymousreply 2502/28/2013

No they aren't R24, and it wouldn't matter if they were because they have better ideas for the economy.

by Anonymousreply 2602/28/2013

The one thing I've noticed about many republicans is that their fear factor is high. If you take a look at all the politicians who served in the armed forces during the Vietnam era you will find very few Republicans. War Hawk Cheney is a prime example, as is most every other Republican Hawk in Washington. And yet, these cowards are all for turning the mideast into a ceramic dish with nukes if someone burns a flag and shouts death to America. These people are educated and reasonable. They just scared shitless.

by Anonymousreply 2702/28/2013

I know tons of people who used to be Republican before the crazies, tea partiers and religious nuts took over and destroyed the party. Basically, they are financial conservatives, and don't believe that people need government handouts. Most of them made it without help from the government and don't understand why everyone else can't either.

by Anonymousreply 2802/28/2013

[quote]Basically, they are financial conservatives, and don't believe that people need government handouts.

Yet, the Wall Streeters and Bankers that brought down the economy go without prosecution....reaping billions in handouts, thumbing their nose at taxpayers by taking bonuses and paychecks of extraordinary sums.

by Anonymousreply 2902/28/2013

[quote]Yet, the Wall Streeters and Bankers that brought down the economy go without prosecution....reaping billions in handouts, thumbing their nose at taxpayers by taking bonuses and paychecks of extraordinary sums.

Bingo.

by Anonymousreply 3002/28/2013

He means "government handouts to the *wrong* sort of people."

by Anonymousreply 3102/28/2013

It's a lack of empathy or realization that they've had advantages in their lives - DESPITE the fact that they have had to work hard as well.

They equate working hard with self-reliance and that it is the panacea for all ills - just work harder.

They assume that's why they've had some success, but don't realize all the additional help and advantages they've had that others did not.

by Anonymousreply 3303/05/2013

"Republican acquaintances I know are weirdly religious and weirdly closeted. OR, over 65 and afraid of reality. OR, just old fashioned bigots."

This times ten.

The Reagan Revolution's unholy alliance with the Moral Majority poisoned the party, though it has taken a generation to fully manifest.

by Anonymousreply 3403/05/2013

I've found that people who are educated and Republican generally attended state schools. I did.

by Anonymousreply 3703/08/2013

Having degrees and thinking objectively aren't necessarily related.

by Anonymousreply 3803/08/2013

They just want to punish people for being poor or not as privileged as they are (in whatever sense). Just basic selfishness/thuggishness/fear.

by Anonymousreply 3903/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.