Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I miss Allan Carr

Poor man.

by Anonymousreply 1303/01/2013

He's still alive.

by Anonymousreply 102/27/2013

He just got nutty. Cocaine? The first part of his career was chockful of successes. The last years: Can't Stop The Music; Grease 2; Snow White vs. Rob Lowe... I remember him giving Merv a tour of his home with a copper disco floor, dressed in a caftan.

Says he died of "liver cancer". Didn't that used to be a euphemism for the AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 202/28/2013

But wasn't that more for closet-cases, r2? Surely he wasn't closeted.

I recently read he was Cass Elliot's manager the last year or so of her life. He was doing a good job of it, she was staging a cabaret comeback. Played two sold out weeks at the London Palladium and then sadly died after the final show.

by Anonymousreply 302/28/2013

OP, are you a caftan manufacturer and/or salesman?

by Anonymousreply 402/28/2013

The ham sandwich was on her bedside table uneaten, not a single bite taken out of it. Cass died due to a crash diet where she didn't eat for days at a time. It's also speculated she may have been taking diet pills, speed. Either way, or both, the diet damaged her heart. Great singer, comparable to Streisand (they were up for the same parts early in their careers) died at 32.

by Anonymousreply 502/28/2013

OP, you bitch. Chatty Man is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 602/28/2013

Oh for god's sake R3, it was a JOKE.

Honest to god, I can't believe the knee jerks on here these days.

by Anonymousreply 702/28/2013

There's this writer, I think his name is Hoffler or something. He's like a senior editor at Variety and he does books on gay celebrities in Hollywood during the 50s-70s. He wrote a book about Allan Carr and the goings-on at his mansion, Hillhaven Lodge. Nureyev had a birthday coming up and Carr went all out. He invited all the hot studs he could find, put Nureyev in a guest house with his legs in the air, and watched as the famous ballerina serviced all comers. There was a line out the door.

by Anonymousreply 802/28/2013

I agree, OP.

No one will ever fill his caftan quite like he did.

by Anonymousreply 902/28/2013

A lot of people believe the urban myth so I cleared it up r7, no biggie.

by Anonymousreply 1002/28/2013

Some people miss boils.

by Anonymousreply 1102/28/2013

Not surprising that you would think of him, since last Sunday's Academy Awards was the worst since the debacle he produced in 1989.

by Anonymousreply 1202/28/2013

God, I miss brunch.

by Anonymousreply 1303/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!