Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

R&H's "Cinderella" with Julie Andrews

Just watched this again on disk and find so many great elements in it. Julie is gorgeous, and in incredible voice. She was still doing "My Fair Lady" in Broadway at the time. Jon Cypher (later of "Hill Street Blues") is very hot as the Prince. Check out his butt in the ballroom number. Very tight pants and a bubble butt! DL favorites Kay Ballard and Alice Ghostley are divine as bitchy step-sisters Portia and Joy. Dorothy Stickney and Howard Lindsey are cute together as the Queen and King. I guess they did "Life with Father" on Broadway for a long time and were much beloved. Check out the male supporting cast. Not a str8 guy in the bunch. They must've got all available Broadway chorus boys to appear. And in those tight pants, you can see quite a few baskets. Daring for 1957! It is so much better than the 1965 remake with Leslie Anne Warren, and let's not even discuss the Whitney-Brandy disasterous 2nd remake! Can't believe the the R&H estate wouldn't release this for so many years. The quality isn't the best, but the performances more than make up for it!

by Anonymousreply 2303/12/2013

I can't believe they allowed the Whitney version. It was awful.

by Anonymousreply 103/01/2013

It's really a shame that it wasn't filmed properly and in color.

by Anonymousreply 203/02/2013

Like Angela Lansbury and Rosemary Clooney, Julie had a rather matronly look to her even though she was quite young.

Isn't Cinderella supposed to be like sixteen?

by Anonymousreply 303/02/2013

They used to show the Leslie Ann Warren one over and over, well into the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 403/02/2013

There's a big article on it over at BroadwayWorld today.

by Anonymousreply 503/02/2013

r2, it was telecast in color. But because there was broadcast live, there was no way to preserve it except for kinescope, which was in black and white.

by Anonymousreply 603/02/2013

I was 7 when they first broadcast the Leslie Ann Warren version. sigh

The supporting cast was sensational: Jo Van Fleet as the stepmother, Celeste Holm as the Fairy Godmother, Walter Pidgeon and Ginger Rogers were the king and queen. I think soap opera actor Stuart Damon was the prince and Pat Carroll may have played one of the stepsisters.

I do think that CBS broadcast it every year until the mid-70s.

Leslie Ann Warren looks great for her age. That woman probably has a great tell-all to right

by Anonymousreply 703/02/2013

There was no color TV in 1957.

This is my favorite version, the colors in the LAW version are vulgar.

I don't actually mind the Brandy version though Whitney Houston looks ghastly.

The prince made up for it. Woof.

by Anonymousreply 803/02/2013

You don't know what you're talking about, r8. The first national color broadcast was the Tournament of Roses parade on Jan 1, 1954. Color TVs were not the norm in the mid-late 50s, but they existed, and big spectaculars like Cinderella were often broadcast in color.

by Anonymousreply 903/02/2013

"Not the norm" is putting it mildly.

There were 9 color TV sets in America in 1954.

Look it up!

by Anonymousreply 1003/02/2013

Of all the stepsisters, no one can touch Kaye Ballard and Alice Ghostley. They weren't wicked, just kind of bitchy. And after Cinderella got the Prince, they were content to be in-laws to the royal family. Better than getting their eyes pecked out by birds in the original fairy tale! But Alice and Kaye are so wonderfully campy, especially Kaye as Portia, the mantrap! And Alice's wig as Joy has a life of its own!

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2013

It's perfectly fine, but as for being so much better than the Lesley Ann Warren remake, bite your tongue!

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2013

Check out the DVD extras with interviews with Kaye Ballard and Jon Cypher.

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2013

The Lesley Ann Warren remake is pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2013

The Julie Andrews version is my favorite though the scenery looks like it was rented from a nearby high school production.

And special mention to Edith (Edie) Adams as The Fairy Godmother!

by Anonymousreply 1503/06/2013

Did Edie have to wear antennae?

by Anonymousreply 1603/06/2013

It's interesting that the casting of the R&H Fairy Godmother has always been a glamour girl rather than a motherly character actress.

What does the character look like in the Disney cartoon? I can't rememeber. Did Verna Felton do the voice?

by Anonymousreply 1703/06/2013

Celeste Holm was rather matronly in the remake. And yes Verna Felton voiced the FG in Disney 1950 film.

by Anonymousreply 1803/10/2013

Edith Adams was a glam FG. And she twirled that wand like a drum majorette!

by Anonymousreply 1903/10/2013

And of course, the current Fairy Godmother defines the word "matronly."

by Anonymousreply 2003/10/2013

Big gay boy in the wedding finale. Big smile until Kaye Ballard hits on him and he has this "oh no, dear" face. Cute.

by Anonymousreply 2103/10/2013

[R21] Big old gay boy on right

by Anonymousreply 2203/10/2013

[R22] That's my Uncle Joey, the one we weren't supposed to talk about!

by Anonymousreply 2303/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!