Since 1995

Why is bedding so expensive?

What the fuck.

by Anonymousreply 8503/20/2014

Depends on whom.

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2013

Try Costco

by Anonymousreply 302/27/2013

Are you talking about linens or about mattresses?

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2013

Get an airbed for $60. Don't need beds or bedding.

Or better yet a survival hammock.

by Anonymousreply 502/27/2013

Because you spend 1/3 of your life sleeping!

by Anonymousreply 602/27/2013

Sorry, I wanted to make more than 6 rupees a day. I'm sorry. I'll go back to eating only on Tuesdays.

by Anonymousreply 702/27/2013

Do you have an Anna's Linens, for discounted bedding, in your city? I'll bet you could order online and save.

by Anonymousreply 802/27/2013

Is it?

by Anonymousreply 902/27/2013

I'm sorry but I will eat Ramen Noodles before I will sleep on anything but Pratesi sheets. AND I have a Sterns & Foster bed. I guess it's just different priorities but I'll wear crappy clothes before I'll sleep on crappy, uncomfortable bedding. I gotta' have me some good sleep or I'ma bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1002/27/2013

good bedding is VERY expensive.

mostly people are ghetto and get their bedding from department stores

by Anonymousreply 1102/27/2013

I've never spent more than $6k and I didn't buy ghetto

by Anonymousreply 1302/27/2013

Sheets are sheets. I sleep in sweats and tees. The sheets are just there for frequent laundering, since I can't launder my mattress.

by Anonymousreply 1402/27/2013

Try Kohl's for almost everything. Great prices and quality. I can't go back to regular department stores unless it's for a suit or sport jacket.

by Anonymousreply 1502/27/2013

[quote]If you are getting your bedding from those stores, you might as well sleep in the yard.

R16. You seem to be a snob or just plain ignorant of the quality at BB&B and Kohl's. Why would you make such a statement as you did?

Sure, there might be some products that are "less than" at those stores, but certainly not all. There is plenty of top quality merchandise at the stores you mentioned especially bedding products.

by Anonymousreply 1702/27/2013

[quote] If you are getting your bedding from those stores, you might as well sleep in the yard.

Amen, sister. Bedding is one of those things I don't play around with. I've learned that buying Target, Kohl's, and BB&B usually = falls apart in three months.

[quote] I'm sorry but I will eat Ramen Noodles before I will sleep on anything but Pratesi sheets.

Love it!

by Anonymousreply 1802/27/2013

How does bedding fall apart? Sheets are essentially just one big piece of fabric.

by Anonymousreply 1902/27/2013

If you dry your linens on a clothesline, they will last much longer and smell wonderful.

Linens that have never seen the inside of a tumble dryer and are not washed in too much detergent will retain their suppleness like brand-new.

Every time you clean your lint filter after using your dryer, you are throwing away some of your linens.

by Anonymousreply 2002/27/2013

"...Pratesi sheets. AND I have a Sterns & Foster bed."

How sad that someone name-drops bedding brands.

by Anonymousreply 2102/28/2013

What does OP mean by bedding?

Sheets? Pillows? Quilts? Some combination thereof?

by Anonymousreply 2202/28/2013

How do you dry your linens then?

by Anonymousreply 2302/28/2013

[quote]How sad that someone name-drops bedding brands.

Yeah, well, I think it's sad you're sleeping on cheap Walmart, dust mite, bed-bug-laden polyester sheets, R21, so I guess we're even.

by Anonymousreply 2402/28/2013

R10-- pretends to be one of the 1%, which works out very well for him since he's 99.99% asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2502/28/2013

Don't buy the shit at Linens and Things, they are cheap single ply thread and they rip.

by Anonymousreply 2602/28/2013

I knew the Prateesi queen would rear her perfectly coiffed, botoxed (yet still ugly) head!!!

by Anonymousreply 2702/28/2013

[quote] If you dry your linens on a clothesline, they will last much longer and smell wonderful.

Not if you live in Bejing.

by Anonymousreply 2802/28/2013

I love nice bed linen. Ralph Lauren has particularly nice masculine bedding and I buy it all online from eBay and save a heap - always at least 50% to 75%.

I am also in Australia and even with postage from the US to Australia (which I include in the overall price) eBay is still a winner.

Try that - it should be pretty cheap or even free to get it posted within the US.

by Anonymousreply 2902/28/2013

Sorry I meant 25% to 50% off - not 75% savings.

by Anonymousreply 3002/28/2013

I love sheets and duvet covers from Crate and Barrel and CrateandBarrel.com

by Anonymousreply 3102/28/2013

R10, if you're so well rested, why are you such a bitch?

R29, does masculine bedding slap you on the back and call you "bro"? And then treat you to a whore?

by Anonymousreply 3202/28/2013

bob-o-pedic

by Anonymousreply 3302/28/2013

[quote]I'm sorry but I will eat Ramen Noodles before I will sleep on anything but Pratesi sheets.

You talk silly all the time. I know what you do with the excelsior!

by Anonymousreply 3402/28/2013

[quote] I knew the Prateesi queen would rear her perfectly coiffed, botoxed (yet still ugly) head!!!

Yes, the poor old thing, her ancient and precious Pratesi pillowcases perma-stained with bronzer and product and tears and stinking of gin and soured cologne. Her bed is the the lap of luxury, after all.

by Anonymousreply 3502/28/2013

I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a bed. No more. The one I have now has lasted for 12 years. I think it's a Spring Air pillow top. Also, there really IS a big difference between the sheets I used when I was in my 20s and the Egyptian Cotton sheets I use now. So soft and comfy.

by Anonymousreply 3602/28/2013

Once you're asleep your body has no idea what kind of sheets you're sleeping on.

Some of you bed linens snobs are really too much!

Go buy some stock in your favorite company instead buying expensive bed linens… Jeez Louise! Who sees them?! Only you? Give me a break!

by Anonymousreply 3702/28/2013

I have two sets of Wamsutta Egyptian Cotton sheets that I got at Bed Bath & Beyond 12 years ago. I don't think I paid more than $100 for each set. I alternate them each week, so each set has been laundered 312 times. They still have a lot of body in them, no holes, and the elastic on the fitted sheet is holding up. They feel like silk. I've slept on Frette sheets at the Ritz Carlton and like mine better.

I have been on an epic quest for years in search of the perfect pillow though. If anyone has recommendations, I'd take them. TIA!

by Anonymousreply 3802/28/2013

Bedsheets? What are you, 112? Most people just use a blanket or a comforter now.

by Anonymousreply 3902/28/2013

The OP is talking about Mattresses.

A good one will go for $500.00

by Anonymousreply 4002/28/2013

r39 sleeps in an alley.

by Anonymousreply 4102/28/2013

No, I don't sleep in an alley. I've never used bedsheets since I was a kid. I don't know anyone my age who uses them. Just a couple of blankets over a fitted sheet, like everybody else I know.

by Anonymousreply 4202/28/2013

r39/42, do you wash your blanket every week? The top sheet is to keep your blanket clean so you don't have to wash it every week. I bet you don't use a mattress pad under the fitted sheet either.

by Anonymousreply 4302/28/2013

I guess I'm lucky. I can sleep anywhere, even sitting up in a chair. Just need any semi-decent bed, a fitted sheet, a comforter, and a soft pillow (or a nice strong chest, belonging to a very kind, protective male.)

So luxury bedding users, do you just like the feeling of indulgence or does it really make a difference in your ability to fall asleep?

by Anonymousreply 4402/28/2013

Wow, R10 got raped. That serves the bitch right...

by Anonymousreply 4502/28/2013

I pay no more than $50 for a sheet set and never had sheets rip. I buy on sale. Once I idiotically spent $150 on Pottery Barn sheets and they were so wrinkled I had to throw them away. I'm not fucking ironing my bedsheets. This is the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 4602/28/2013

R42 are you serious? Your comforter must be washable.

by Anonymousreply 4702/28/2013

[quote] I'm not fucking ironing my bedsheets. This is the 21st century.

We could iron them for 50 cents an hour if you'd life?

by Anonymousreply 4802/28/2013

I have all Egyptian cotton sateen. They don't need to be pressed. I mean, if I were a perfectionist, yes, but really, I'm going to roll around and sleep in it, so why bother.

by Anonymousreply 4902/28/2013

BB&B and Ikea have nice sheets.

by Anonymousreply 5002/28/2013

Does Gucci make sheets?

by Anonymousreply 5102/28/2013

I like the kind that need ironing, too, R49, but I've never bought sateen, as I think of it as this fabric my grandmother used to buy as ribbon for sewing projects. Can you hear it making noise as you roll around on it? Yes, I asked if you can *hear* sateen?

by Anonymousreply 5202/28/2013

R28, that's probably also true of Mexico City on a bad air day. It assumes clean fresh air which is not always clean or fresh.

I remember when our sheets could not be hung outside seasonally because of a nearby mulberry tree.

My sheets last for years even though I dry them in my dryer. I don't use regular detergent, bleach or fabric softener so perhaps that's why they hold up so well. It probably also helps that I make them from either silk or linen that I buy by the bolt.

by Anonymousreply 5302/28/2013

You are much more talented than I am, r53.

I am but a poor trust fund lad on a fixed income, trying to make it last so I never have to work again.

Not wasting money on super high end bed linens and the expense of running a clothes dryer are two things easy things I can do to save money.

But even if my monthly income was unlimited, I would still dry my bed linens outside on a clothesline – the clean scent is incomparable.

by Anonymousreply 5402/28/2013

Threads like these are the reason I keep paying $18 year for this stupid site.

You just gotta love pretentious queens like R10 and the beating they take when they post their shit here.

by Anonymousreply 5502/28/2013

R52, no, gawd, no.

I do know what you are referencing though, I think of that as a polyester damask fabric such as a mother of the bride, gown, it makes a ruffling noise as she shuffles.

by Anonymousreply 5602/28/2013

Sateen is a soft cotton fabric with a satin finish. It does not make noise. It is not stiff. It is just fine for sheets and it does not need ironing as long as you don't leave them sitting in a hot dryer.

Personally, I prefer linen sheets in summer and flannel sheets in winter.

by Anonymousreply 5702/28/2013

Thanks, R56 and R57. I think you've got my number on sateen expectations, R56. And R57, I like sheets that need ironing because it means they haven't been treated in "no-iron" chemicals, which literally sicken me.

I bought a decade's worth of Ralph Lauren Alissa sheets a decade ago, and it's time to replace them. They weren't sateen, just a non-shiny jacquard, and I wish I could find them again. They were one of the best purchases of anything I've ever owned, but I'm down to just a couple left.

by Anonymousreply 5802/28/2013

Then what's the difference between sateen and polished cotton?

by Anonymousreply 5902/28/2013

R58, don't confuse a sheet that does not need ironing with a non-iron sheet. Depending on how fussy you are, many natural fibers look just fine straight from the dryer. They do not have a fabric finish.

Polished cotton (chintz) is a plain weave cotton fabric that has a finish on it to make is shiny. Sateen has a smooth finish that is made by the weaving process.

by Anonymousreply 6002/28/2013

[quote]R58, don't confuse a sheet that does not need ironing with a non-iron sheet. Depending on how fussy you are, many natural fibers look just fine straight from the dryer. They do not have a fabric finish.

R60, I usually look for sheets that say "requires a little ironing" or something like that, and I never buy "no iron" sheets. Is there a further refinement of which I am not aware?

Thanks, btw.

by Anonymousreply 6102/28/2013

Why hasn't anyone come up with a line of sheets for the active, young gay man?

by Anonymousreply 6202/28/2013

I hate flannel sheets, R57. When you're a top, they're a bitch on your knees.

by Anonymousreply 6302/28/2013

If you avoid sateen-finished sheets that wrinkle badly in the dryer, try taking them out of the dryer a bit early and putting the contour sheet directly on the mattress, letting it dry stretched flat.

by Anonymousreply 6402/28/2013

[quote]Yeah, well, I think it's sad you're sleeping on cheap Walmart, dust mite, bed-bug-laden polyester sheets, [R21], so I guess we're even.

Walmart is a fucking hellhole and only idiots shop there. However, the price you pay for your sheets has NOTHING to do with dust mites or bed bugs.

by Anonymousreply 6502/28/2013

What do you have in mind, R62 ?

by Anonymousreply 6602/28/2013

R10, I assume you travel and never host?

by Anonymousreply 6702/28/2013

Barbara Barry Bedding has some Bamboo and Rayon sheets that are amazingly soft, and comfortable. No pilling, easy care.

I think I got them at Macy's or maybe Bon Ton

by Anonymousreply 6802/28/2013

OMG I had no idea you bitches were so particular about what you sleep on. I could not care less about what thread count my sheets are, because I only use a fitted sheet and a blanket.

Im a cosmetics queen, so I guess we have linen queens too. I have a feeling some of you are the same bitches that call me a sissy on the cosmetics thread. Takes one to know one, linen queens!

by Anonymousreply 6902/28/2013

Ivory soap = the cosmetics kit, R69. And I have flawless skin--have had my entire life.

by Anonymousreply 7002/28/2013

Ivory soap gave me second degree burns on the face. it was like battery acid.

by Anonymousreply 7102/28/2013

I like the Ralph Lauren sheets, especially the Oxford cotton. I bought the on clearance at Marshall's. They are soft and thick like a dress shirt. I bought 4 sets. They hold up great with weekly washing, even after 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 7202/28/2013

[quote]Why is bedding so expensive?

It would help us dear, if you tell us whom you are bedding and we can then advise correctly.

by Anonymousreply 7302/28/2013

Thread count doesn't mean a whole lot, it's more about the quality of the cotton that's used. There are about 20 different grades of Egyptian cotton, so the 1000ct set you bought a Costco for 100.00, is crap compared to a 300ct set made in Italy or say Portugal. The cheap sets are made in China or India, they are not using the same cotton, the looms in Europe are finer and are able to weave the finest quality of Egyptian cotton.

If you're on a budget as I am, shop Tuesday Morning and look for Sferra Brothers. I've found them on sale for around 200.00 a set. Buy the plain ones, without a pattern, 600ct. They will last several years, wash them in cold water, mild soap, cool dryer. ...if you can't afford 200.00 for a set, look for pillow cases, at least you will have the soft cotton against your face.

Years ago we had fine fabric mills here in the U.S., not anymore. If you want a crisp sheet, look for percale, which is a one over one weave. Sateen weave is 7 over one, giving a silky lustrous finish.

Don't buy the crap made in China or India.

by Anonymousreply 7402/28/2013

I picked-up a set of sheets from R. Kelly's yard sale.

Bad move.

by Anonymousreply 7502/28/2013

You only get several years of use out of your sheet sets, r74??

by Anonymousreply 7602/28/2013

Anything less than 100% cotton, 400 thread count is like sleeping on sand paper.

by Anonymousreply 7703/01/2013

Satin sheets are very romantic

by Anonymousreply 7803/01/2013

See, I miss the cheap, sturdy cotton sheets my grandmother used. Those things wore like steel and lasted for years and years. After a lot of washings, they were smooth against the skin.

by Anonymousreply 7903/01/2013

Probably only the gays who are desperate and depraved enough to fuck your scabby ass, r80.

by Anonymousreply 8103/01/2013

It's sort of like candles. Some people don't have any candles. Some have a few for blackouts. Some go nuts for Yankee candles, spending lots of money on "hauls." Others will only burn $100 handmade soy candles and purchase wick trimmers and candle sniffers.

You can turn anything into a fetish.

by Anonymousreply 8203/01/2013

$60 at Target?! That's insanely expensive!

by Anonymousreply 8303/20/2014

I go to Marshall's. They have last season's designer bedding sets for a steal.

by Anonymousreply 8403/20/2014

All I care about is that the sheets are washable.

And bleachable.

by Anonymousreply 8503/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.