Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Boston fraternity raises more than $16,000 for brother's sex change surgery

Boston fraternity raises more than $16,000 for brother's sex change surgery

By Daniel Arkin, Staff Writer, NBC News

A fraternity at Emerson College in Boston, Mass., has raised thousands of dollars for a transgender member's sex change surgery after the procedure was denied by his student health insurance plan.

The brothers of Phi Alpha Tau have received more than $16,000 in donations for Donnie Collins, 20, a sophomore pledge seeking female-to-male gender transition surgery to remove his breasts.

"It's been an amazing experience, these last few weeks," Collins said in a video (above) uploaded to YouTube on Monday. "My life has been absolutely changed by pledging this fraternity."

After his insurance company reportedly denied his claim for gender transition surgery, Collins' fraternity brothers banded together to help. They launched a pledge campaign Feb. 9 on IndieGoGo, a crowd-funding website, setting an initial goal of $4,800 -- later boosted to $8,000 -- to cover Collins' chest reconstruction.

"We care deeply about each and everyone, and rely on the entire active brotherhood to stand behind any one individual when they are in need," the participating brothers wrote on the IndieGoGo campaign page.

The Phi Alpha Tau brothers took in $2,000 in online donations in just over a week, Collins said in his YouTube video. By Tuesday, they were at $12,000, and the campaign crossed $16,000 Wednesday.

The campaign's managers announced Wednesday morning that they plan to donate all the excess cash to the Jim Collins Foundation, a group that "raises money to fund gender-confirming surgeries for those transgender people who need surgery to live a healthy life," according to the organization's website.

Collins came out as transgender while a student at a Windsor, Conn., boarding school, he told WHDH, an NBC affiliate in Boston.

"Coming out was a huge relief to me," Collins said. "I knew right away that I wanted a name change, hormone replacement treatment" and gender reassignment surgery, he said.

Collins told WHDH that the procedure, which is scheduled for May, marks an important step in his gender transition.

"You're the one that puts your head down on the pillow at night," Collins said. "You have to be able to look in the mirror at yourself every day for the rest of your life. So, make choices for you first and then other people second."

by Anonymousreply 1703/01/2013

The frat is PHAT.

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2013

I have my van gassed up and ready to go.

by Anonymousreply 302/27/2013

I bet they would have been just as supportive if the frat boy wanted to chop his dick off and get a boob job. Not.

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2013

Doesn't sound like a real fraternity. I bet it's one of those made-up clubs.

by Anonymousreply 602/27/2013

He's been on T for 14 months. His pussy is hairy and swollen now... I wonder if he's horny enough to fool around with any of his frat brothers now?

by Anonymousreply 702/27/2013

If WE cannot accept that someone may have a gender different from the "norm," how can we expect others to accept our sexuality as being different from the "norm?"

by Anonymousreply 802/27/2013

I almost went to Emerson.

I went and visited and it was too gay for me.

I had many years to spend in the college.

It wasn't time to go there.

Now, I'd go.

by Anonymousreply 902/27/2013

They're a fraternity at Emerson College, since 1902. This from their website:

"Phi Alpha Tau Quick We value initiative, ambition, effectiveness, creativity, and men of their word. If this sounds like your thing, we encourage you to reach out to us. Come to one of our events, introduce yourself to a brother, ask around; sooner or later you will meet a Tau. We are not a national fraternity with chapters around the country, but we are very proud of our close-knit alumni network that touches all corners of the communicative arts, worldwide. And at least at Emerson, we do tend to be at the center of things."

They've also been supportive of the "Love Is Louder" campaign to prevent suicide among gay teens.

They sound enlightened, unlike douches like R1 & R5.

by Anonymousreply 1002/27/2013

The frat boys probably think they get to keep the breasts.

by Anonymousreply 1102/27/2013

R8 I accept that he has "a gender different from the 'norm'". But his "gender difference" causes him to reject being what we are, gay. So let him go on his way if being gay isn't acceptable to him.

by Anonymousreply 1202/27/2013

I'm with R1.

One of my exes went FTM, and that bitch was a nut case for years before she tried that tack.

Before that, she was an anorexic, an alcoholic, and an Adult Child of an Alcoholic. Oh -- and she battered me when we were together as well. That's why I left her.

I have a hunch that once she got her fill of attention from being an FTM, she went back to being a woman. Trust me when I tell you, that bitch could never pull off being a man.

by Anonymousreply 1302/27/2013

That's a lot of money they are going to miss.

by Anonymousreply 1402/27/2013

They are enabling doctors to charge way too much for this crap. I don't give to these kind of fundraising drives anymore. The government should cover healthcare and seeing my hard earned money go to some doctor who earns $350,000 a year is not my idea of morally defensible "charity," no matter how desperate the sick one is.

by Anonymousreply 1502/27/2013

How many of the frat guys are having sex with this frat brother?

by Anonymousreply 1603/01/2013

How do you know that trans people are just confused gays? For all you know, gays could just be confused, gender dysphoric people.

by Anonymousreply 1703/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!