Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Do Cats Puke So Much?

Do they need bones and gristle from mice, rats and chipmunks in their diet?

by Anonymousreply 2002/27/2013

I had a bad puker two cats ago, but the ones I have now never hurl.

Good little pussies!

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2013

Cats swallow fur when they groom themselves, and most have problems passing that with a diet that is all processed foods (rather than eating mice and other small animals). They may cough up "hairballs" when the fur accumulates in their stomachs, but they're not really throwing up their food. A high fiber cat food, or periodic "hairball medicine" (available in many forms and flavors at pet food stores), can minimize that happening.

by Anonymousreply 302/27/2013

Cats are the bulimics of the animal kingdom

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2013

My cat used to puke all the time, and I chalked it up to normal cat puking. However, when the pet food scandal happened years ago, and it was linked to contaminated grains imported from China, I learned that cats need a grain free diet. I stopped feeding her Science Diet (corn and wheat based) and she stopped puking. I feel horrible that I was unknowingly poisoning my cat all those years.

Switch to a grain free food. Most are labled as such now.

by Anonymousreply 502/27/2013

Hair BALLS!

by Anonymousreply 602/27/2013

My cat pukes because she eats too much too fast. I have to give her smaller portions several times a days now.

by Anonymousreply 702/27/2013

I wish I could switch cat food but I have 4 cats. I did not go looking for 4 cats -- they found me. One is a cat who had kittens on my deck. Two are her grown kittens and one is a housecat who either got lost, ran away or was dumped by her previous owners. I can't afford high priced cat food.

by Anonymousreply 802/27/2013

I also have 4 cats and they all handle food differently. The oldest (a 6-yr. old female) has the most sensitive stomach. Even though I change food brands gradually, she's still the first to barf it up. Then she gets used to the new flavor. I've learned that I can't give her their treat (a can of nine lives divided into fourths) early in the day because that's when her stomach is most sensitive.

It's weird because she's my only 'alley cat' (found her outdoors) and you'd think she'd be tougher. She also gorges food and will barf up because of that. I hate to deprive her because she looks sad if she can't eat along with the others.

Their upchuck always has hair and fibre in it- pretty solid.

by Anonymousreply 902/27/2013

R8 Iams is really not that much more than stuff like Meow Mix

by Anonymousreply 1002/27/2013

My kitty kept throwing up, particularly after eating. It turns out she has small cell lymphoma and now I give her medicine every day. Still, she's only expected to live for a year or two. I've been lucky, she's still alive and happy after one year.

Best to have you kitten checked. This ailment is a major killer of cats.

by Anonymousreply 1102/27/2013

They don't.

You are not taking proper care of your cat.

Change his diet to something that has meat as the main ingredient -- not corn. Don't be cheap.

Brush him regularly.

Once a week, give him some Hartz Hairball Remedy.

by Anonymousreply 1202/27/2013

Cut back on the vodka enemas. Cats need very little to get them happy and ready to play with their ball of yarn.

by Anonymousreply 1302/27/2013

[quote] [R8] Iams is really not that much more than stuff like Meow Mix

Iams is crap! It's one of the brands that was poisoned with rat poison. It was sold to proctor and gamble years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1402/27/2013

My cats won't eat meat cat food. They only eat seafood. They don't eat dry cat food.

by Anonymousreply 1502/27/2013

R15 They will eat dry food if that's all they get.

by Anonymousreply 1602/27/2013

Dry catfood is not good for cats.

the best is actual raw or cooked meat. or even your leftovers. then it's high quality canned catfood that has meat as the main ingredient. (Wellness is the brand I buy.) the next best is dry food that has meat as the main ingredient. then it's shitty grocery store canned catfood. the worst is shitty grocery store dry food.

if you are a new pet owner, NEVER give them anything like whiskies or fancy feast. that shit has something in it that makes cats addicted. they will never change once they try it.

by Anonymousreply 1702/27/2013

My Maine Coon Cat puked up humongous hairballs. He hated to be brushed but loved to be petted. If you wear a rubber glove - you know, the Playtex Living Glove type - the hair just clumps onto the glove. I would keep some damp paper towels in a dish and wipe the glove on that occasionally to remove the hair. He never noticed that I was wearing a glove to pet him and it really cut down on the amount of puked-up hairballs.

The glove also works to quickly remove cat hair from clothes and furniture.

by Anonymousreply 1802/27/2013

My vet told me never to use Hartz products. She said they kill dogs and cats.

by Anonymousreply 1902/27/2013

My cats wouldn't eat Iams, and they're not really picky.

I feed them One (which lists animal flesh as the first ingredient- not corn meal), and change the flavors between bags to give them some variety.

Their favorite treat is 9-lives canned beef chunks. I mash it up a bit like stew and they practically lick the bowls.

Always give them lots of fresh water because so many of the dry foods are too high in fiber ("For easier litter box clean-up!" - ugh).

by Anonymousreply 2002/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.