Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Scalia: Voting Rights Act is a ‘perpetuation of racial entitlement’

Conservative justices on the United State Supreme Court hinted on Wednesday that the 1965 Voting Rights Act (VRA) would soon be ruled unconstitutional.

The landmark achievement of the civil rights movement sought to stop discrimination against black voters by barring poll taxes and literacy tests in southern states, but the conservative justices suggested on Wednesday that it was now those Southern states that were the victims of discrimination.

“Is it the government’s submission that the citizens in the South are more racist than the citizens in the North?” Chief Justice John Roberts asked Solicitor General Donald Verrilli, according to USA Today.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, who VRA supporters had hoped would be a swing vote, indicated that he too was ready gut the law, accusing Congress of “reverse engineering” with its 2006 reauthorization of the Section 5 restrictions on southern states.

“Times change,” Kennedy said.

Justice Antonin Scalia pointed out that an overwhelming number of lawmakers in both parties had voted to reauthorize the law in 1970, 1975, 1982 and 2006. Scalia argued that the nearly-unanimous reauthorizations proved that lawmakers were scared to be seen voting against discrimination, calling it “a phenomenon that is called perpetuation of racial entitlement.”

“I think it’s a safe prediction to say that the Voting Rights Act, as it now stands, is not going to survive,” NBC’s Pete Williams reported on Wednesday after the oral arguments. “The question is how far will the Supreme Court go in striking parts of it down?”

The court is expected to rule on Shelby County v. Holder, the case challenging Section 5, in the coming months. The Voting Rights Act has previously been upheld by the Supreme Court on four different occasions.

Watch this video from MSNBC, broadcast Feb. 27, 2013.

by Anonymousreply 2203/01/2013

vile man.

by Anonymousreply 102/27/2013

This is the downside of having a black president. Everyone thinks racism is done and over with.

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2013

Scalia was put on the bench by Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2013

Scalia is a lowlife punk, corrupt and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 502/27/2013

Scalia is a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 602/27/2013

Scalia is a waste of oxygen and space.

by Anonymousreply 702/27/2013

Of course voting rights legislation is extremely necessary and important.

Of course it has nothing to do with racial entitlement and Scalia is disgusting for suggesting that.

However, it isn't just for the South anymore. We need a new voting rights policy that protects everyone's right to vote everywhere.

I just hope that that fact doesn't paradoxically destroy voting rights in the South, leaving the entire country unprotected. But it does go to the constitutional issue at stake in the case. Does it make sense any longer to confine these policies to the South? No, it doesn't. Because states all over the country are trying to prevent people, and especially minorities, from voting.

by Anonymousreply 802/27/2013

[quote] “Is it the government’s submission that the citizens in the South are more racist than the citizens in the North?” Chief Justice John Roberts asked Solicitor General Donald Verrilli, according to USA Today.

Yes, it is. I've never paid a poll tax or been given a literacy test.

by Anonymousreply 902/27/2013

Send that trash back to Sicily!

by Anonymousreply 1002/27/2013

Rachel Maddow likened him to an internet troll tonight on "The Daily Show."

by Anonymousreply 1103/01/2013

Scalia uses his position on the SCOTUS to advance his own neo-fascist ideology which he justifies with the insane notion that the Constitution is a "dead" document and 21st Century cases should be judged with an 18th Century perspective.

by Anonymousreply 1203/01/2013

Gutting the Voting Rights Act will be the single-most offensive and transparent act of right-wing legislation-by-judiciary since the court elected Bush president in 2000. The vile untruths and willful distortions coming out of these men's mouths show their indecency and lack of grounding in reality.

by Anonymousreply 1303/01/2013

Scalia gets a rise out of getting a reaction and getting his name out there in the blogosphere. An activist judge, if I've ever seen one.

Thankfully at almost 77-years-old, he won't be on the court for much longer. He'll be too stubborn to retire during Obama's second term, though.

by Anonymousreply 1403/01/2013

I dunno, sometimes those racist old wops can live forever.

by Anonymousreply 1503/01/2013

Federal Elections need to be nationalized and standardized. Ideally the voting rights act would cover more than just 9 states. As we saw with the past election, northern and Midwestern states are trying to get rid of likely progressive and black voters too.

by Anonymousreply 1603/01/2013

I'll be glad when white people are extinct.

by Anonymousreply 1703/01/2013

White people built this institution r17. You're a douchebag. If you hate white people so much, move to a country in Africa or Asia. Free yourself from the burden of being white.

Scalia -- who is a first generation Italian -- ought to know what it feels like to be discriminated against.

by Anonymousreply 1803/01/2013

Did anyone watch the Daily Show tonight? Rachel Maddow was the guest. She was in attendance at the Court when Scalia made the statement. She told Jon Stewart that Scalia is a "troll" who likes the reaction he gets when he says things he knows is just polemic. Sonia Sotomayor challenged him many times on his views. Apparently, the other Justices are so used to his antics that they didn't have much of a reaction. Only Sonia gave him the "what for?" look.

by Anonymousreply 1903/01/2013

[quote]If you hate white people so much, move to a country in Africa or Asia. Free yourself from the burden of being white.

Are you saying I'll become of color? Moving can do that?

Or are you suggesting that if I were surrounded by people of color they would kill me? Either way you sound like a dickkk.

by Anonymousreply 2003/01/2013

you sound like a bigger dick r20. You made a stupid comment. To let a bigoted asshole like Scalia represent all white people makes you sound quite stupid. Let's not forget that Clarence Thomas holds the same views as Scalia on the VRA and Affirmative Action (even though he benefited from it).

by Anonymousreply 2103/01/2013

"This is the downside of having a black president. Everyone thinks racism is done and over with."

Say wha..? No downsides having a black president AND if anything, it has brought racism front and center. Especially the racism of the Republican party.

by Anonymousreply 2203/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!