Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Wicked"

Why do people like this musical? It's sacrilegious to the books. Please tell me there's at least one gay out there who hates it! I know it's a gay musical, but still.

by Anonymousreply 2002/27/2013

What's to like? As you mention, the author does not follow the back history as given in the OZ books. I would not call it sacrilegious, but it is sloppy writing.

The book to the musical is even worse. Clearly it was written and rewritten in haste while the show is out of town. I love how the show "proscenium" was designed around the concept of "Dragon Time", and yet all references to dragon time have been cut from the show. (Yeh, I know the same could be said for the original "Funny Girl" poster.)

I hate how Glinda is portrayed. Not only is it not consistent with the character as written by Baum, I get annoyed by the notion that girlie-girls are inherently bad/lacking. It isn't a character, it is a stereotype.

And, then there are the hideous costumes...

by Anonymousreply 102/27/2013

I saw the production in London in 2006 and have to say that was the worst 2.5 hours of my life and I've lived through chemotherapy. I could never understand what the draw was.

I do love to recommend it to people to get their reactions.

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2013

[quote]and I've lived through chemotherapy

omg.

by Anonymousreply 302/27/2013

I refuse to watch any show with such an insipid song title as "Defying Gravity"

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2013

Like any mega-muscial that cost a fortune to stage, WICKED is full of narrative compromises so that producers would feel that the show would be a crowd-pleaser.

And it has been just that- mostly to teenage girls, teen musical-theater buffs, and their families. Most Broadway musicals these days are not all that "family-friendly" in the usual sense of the word.

I didn't think much of it. I suspect the character of Glinda was molded to suit the talents of Kristin Chenowith

by Anonymousreply 502/27/2013

It's terrible - disrespectful, feckless and dull. And of course it is a Frau's Masterwork - every person I know who LOVES it is a cunt-and-a-half. And you know what THAT looks like.

by Anonymousreply 602/27/2013

Yet it single-handedly revived musical theater for a new generation and I would say also begat Glee.

by Anonymousreply 702/27/2013

R6 = old, miserable and friendless.

by Anonymousreply 802/27/2013

My son is in the high school orchestra, so I attend all of the spring and winter concerts. The girls in the chorus beg for solos, so they award a few in each concert. They loooove singing songs from Wicked. The songs are so bad and FI nothing to showcase doneone's voice. They're just meandering, tuneless tunes that sound like stuff Joe Raposo threw in a wastebasket forty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 902/27/2013

It's no "Bombshell."

by Anonymousreply 1002/27/2013

I don't like it at all. It should be a straightforward prequel about young Glinda and Elphaba. It shouldn't drag Dorothy and her cohorts into it.

by Anonymousreply 1102/27/2013

The book was written by Jeffrey Maguire was quite a fun read. The musical is only loosely based on it.

by Anonymousreply 1202/27/2013

How unhappy in your life do you have to be to hate "Wicked"? It's a two and half hour musical. You watch and you're entertained or just kill the time and then you go on with life.

by Anonymousreply 1302/27/2013

[quote]yet all references to dragon time have been cut from the show. (Yeh, I know the same could be said for the original "Funny Girl" poster.)

Please explain this.

by Anonymousreply 1402/27/2013

R14, It has been a while since I read the book, the the Time Dragon is a mechanical clock that doesn't really tell time. It tells your life, sort of, as it doesn't always tell the truth or the whole truth. Elphaba learns who her father is from the clock.

I mentioned Funny Girl because the original poster referenced a roller skate number that was cut out of town. I assume that the Time Dragon was used in the original script of Wicked, but the references got cut.

by Anonymousreply 1502/27/2013

[quote] The book was written by Jeffrey Maguire was quite a fun read.

Actually, the author is Gregory Maguire.

by Anonymousreply 1602/27/2013

Was there evidence of dragon time in the original Funny Girl poster?

by Anonymousreply 1702/27/2013

And he will cut a bitch if you call him "Greg," never mind "Jeffrey."

by Anonymousreply 1802/27/2013

I saw it and next to the Spider-Man musical, it was the worst musical I'd ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 1902/27/2013

I loved the musical, and thought the book was dark and boring as shit.

by Anonymousreply 2002/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.