Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do all actors know how to sing?

It seems like every single actor out there making movies has a pretty good singing voice.

Sorry I never studied acting. But is it a given that when you study the craft of acting, you must take voice lessons as well?

Why don't more actors who act sing? Maybe put out a record.

by Anonymousreply 5007/23/2013

Vocal training is a part of studying acting. Even with a middling voice, training it to sing will better it for acting. I always suspect that the actors who can't sing got into the business without training, or are possibly just dancers who slipped into actor

by Anonymousreply 102/27/2013

You're being way too generous. Vocal training for acting is very different from vocal training for singing, and studying one doesn't automatically mean you're doing the other as well.

Some people have no innate ability to sing, so training them will have little effect.

The idea that a lot of actors can sing is ludicrous. I can't imagine anyone saying that Russell Crowe, Daniel Day-Lewis, Nicole Kidman, Renee Zellwegger, Peirce Brosnan, Helena Bonham Carter and countless other tone-deaf actors can truly "sing."

They might be able to string a series of notes together (just barely) and perhaps get some technological help in the studio to hide their faults or add some "weight", but in no way are these people real singers.

by Anonymousreply 202/27/2013

[quote]Why don't more actors who act sing? Maybe put out a record.

Don't give them any ideas! It's a truism that all comedians want to play drama and all dramatic actors want to sing. The results are seldom pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 302/27/2013

Not at all.

In fact, many actors who are "musical" enough to be (sometimes very generously) cast in musicals barely know how to sing.

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2013

They can now!

by Anonymousreply 502/27/2013

Some of them have surprisingly nice voices: Michelle Pfeiffer, Ewan McGregor, Meryl Streep, Ed O'Neill.

Some of them have passable voices: Renee Zellweger, Nicole Kidman, Christine Baranski, Glenn Close, Judy Holliday.

Some of them cannot sing a note: Pierce Brosnan, Katharine Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 602/27/2013

R5, Are you saying with auto tune anyone can sing well? I thought Nicole Kidman was known for having a good voice.

by Anonymousreply 702/27/2013

Actors learn how to project their voices, but they don't learn how to focus their tone, sing in tune, or phrase well.

So there's something that I call "actor's singing voice", I'll use Eddie Remayne from "Les Miz" as an example. His voice is strong and he does a pretty good job overall, but he suffers from a fuzzy, unfocused, throaty tone to his singing voice. IMHO it's because his vocal training has been about projecting the speaking voice, not singing.

by Anonymousreply 802/27/2013

OP, have you ever seen "Paint Your Wagon?"

by Anonymousreply 902/27/2013

Sandra Bullock is one is says she cannot sing a lick.

Even though both her parents are opera singers, and she herself composed and sang a song in the movie "The Thing Called Love"

by Anonymousreply 1002/27/2013

Does Anne Hathaway know how to sing?

by Anonymousreply 1102/27/2013

Here is Sandra Bullock singing her big number, a song she wrote herself.

by Anonymousreply 1202/27/2013

R5, Baranski and Close are more than passable singers, as both have Broadway musical credits. I also saw Baranski do Mrs. Lovett at Kennedy Center and she was better that I expected. These two ladies are not the cream of the crop by any means, but they're far better than the likes of Zellwegger and Kidman.

As for Kidman, she does not really have a good voice. She has a very small voice and can just about carry a tune as long as she doesn't have to project too much. Her vocals in MOULIN ROUGE were enhanced in the studio.

I recall while watching the dreck that is the film of NINE that I was relieved when Fergie came on screen - at least one person in the cast had some kind of real singing voice. If NINE had been properly cast, she wouldn't have stood out so much.

by Anonymousreply 1302/27/2013

R13 are you saying that Dame Judi Dench does not have a good singing voice?

by Anonymousreply 1402/27/2013

OP has obviously never seen the movie of Mame.

by Anonymousreply 1502/27/2013

[quote] OP has obviously never seen the movie of Mame.

You are questioning Bea Arthur's singing ability?

by Anonymousreply 1602/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 1702/27/2013

Excuse ME.

by Anonymousreply 1802/27/2013

Crowe has a band and he still can't sing well.

by Anonymousreply 1902/27/2013

Soap actor Eric Martsolf has a great singing voice. I saw him as the Pharaoh in a tour of "Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat." He was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 2002/27/2013

Cory Monteith

by Anonymousreply 2107/16/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2207/16/2013

Most theatre curriculum has at least one singing class.

by Anonymousreply 2307/16/2013

Just watch "Everyone Says I Love You" to see examples of actors who CANNOT sing (Drew Barrymore and Julia Roberts being the most obvious)

by Anonymousreply 2407/16/2013

OP, That's like asking if all actors can do Shakespeare, or comedy, or dance. Thespians try to branch out so that they will get more work. Just because they study something, like Shakespeare, doesn't mean that it's a good fit. Their talent may lie in another direction.

Also if you live in Hollywood there aren't as many opportunities to perform musical theater for pay. You'll see a great deal of competition for roles requesting "actors who sing."

by Anonymousreply 2507/16/2013

[quote]Crowe has a band and he still can't sing well.

You don't actually have to sing well to front a rock band. It's nice when it happens, but a rock voice can be a lot less flexible & melodic than a "legit" voice.

by Anonymousreply 2607/16/2013

[quote]Baranski and Close are more than passable singers, as both have Broadway musical credits.

Broadway muscial credits have nothing to do with someone being a passable singer. Richard Burton and Rex Harrison talked their songs. They were not "passable singers."

by Anonymousreply 2707/16/2013

Every actor or actress takes a few singing lessons because they are told it increases their marketability. Say, for instance, you cannot sing a note but you, for some incomprehensible reason, are considered bankable. You can still get cast in a major musical production. Just make sure your male co-star is worse than you.

by Anonymousreply 2807/16/2013

A good actor (especially a stage actor) should know how to sing.

Good singers are expected to act a little (stage presence).

Very few are actually outstanding in both. You'll have actors who are very decent singers, but not so good that this could be their main occupation.

by Anonymousreply 2907/16/2013

Some actors have started out as singers, failed and once they had success as actors put out a song.

by Anonymousreply 3007/16/2013

Matt Bomer is the real-life inspiration for the character Finn from Glee.

He played High School football before turning to singing.

Does he have a good set of pipes?

by Anonymousreply 3107/19/2013

"Ewan McGregor"

Quiet foghorn or loud foghorn?

Jimmy Stewart should have been strangled before being allowed to sing - in fact, he sounded like he WAS being strangled...

by Anonymousreply 3207/19/2013

[quote]Why don't more actors who act sing? Maybe put out a record.

I KNOW, huh?

by Anonymousreply 3307/19/2013

Self-selection bias. Most of the time, only actors who are perceived to sing well take singing roles.

by Anonymousreply 3407/19/2013

It just makes sense for a serious actor to learn as many tools to execute your craft as possible. Singing, dancing, playing an instrument. Like with any craft, the more you know the better.

by Anonymousreply 3507/19/2013

Bette Davis

by Anonymousreply 3607/19/2013

Molly Ringwald has a jazz album. Lauren Ambrose fronts a jazz band.

by Anonymousreply 3707/20/2013

I think a lot of them can probably sing passably, but just don't expect them to hold notes for very long. I'd rather see a song in a musical well acted by someone who's a competent singer than a brilliant singer who can't act for shit. Recently, on Broadway, all the young actors have started to sound the same when they sing. It's boring and nasally and most of them are truly terrible actors who couldn't sell a song if their lives depended on it. It takes more than a great voice to pull off a song. There's a reason Sondheim prefers actors who can sing over singers who think they can act. Look at Elaine Stritch. TERRRRRRIBLE voice, but she can sell the shit out of any song.

by Anonymousreply 3807/20/2013

Those who are trained actors might able to sing enough to be able to sing happy birthday without everyone staring in horror, however there are lots of actors who have had no training whatsoever, in acting or otherwise. A lot of those models-turned-actors would probably struggle to sing a note since often their acting gigs are based on looks not talent.

by Anonymousreply 3907/20/2013

[quote]Just watch "Everyone Says I Love You" to see examples of actors who CANNOT sing (Drew Barrymore and Julia Roberts being the most obvious)

For the record, neither one knew it was a musical when they signed on. Actors don't get a script before they show up for rehearsals and then only their part. It's how Woody works. Allen didn't care if they could sing he wanted a realistic singing voice and Julia was mortified but carried on. Barrymore bitched so much she was dubbed. That's not her voice in the film.

by Anonymousreply 4007/20/2013

John C. Reilly has a (v. good) roots band that tours

by Anonymousreply 4107/20/2013

WRONG singing talent has nothing to do with acting talent.

Just to disprove OP's claim that all actors can sing, let's have another look at Chris Klein's bizarro audition for the musical MAMA MIA:

by Anonymousreply 4207/21/2013

And if that's not enough, just watch Pierce Brosnan's ear-puncturing performance in MAMA MIA:

by Anonymousreply 4307/21/2013

Michelle Pfeiffer is one of those actors who is not tone deaf, but her tone is ugly and unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 4407/21/2013

R44 - Is that Grease 2?

by Anonymousreply 4507/21/2013

R45 yes.

by Anonymousreply 4607/21/2013

Some can neither sing nor act!

by Anonymousreply 4707/21/2013

I was waiting for a post like R47 lol

Pfeiffer's weird tone is in the same area as that of a Rihanna or Shitney Spears. If she had been 20 years younger, Michelle might have had a shot at pop stardom lmao.

by Anonymousreply 4807/21/2013

The vocals on COOL RIDER are great!

So was Pfeiffer's work on HAIRSPRAY.

She can sing and I think her voice is cool, so go fuck yourself, r44.

by Anonymousreply 4907/23/2013

R49 you have no ear for good vs. bad singing. Pfeiffer is not a good singer at all. She's not tone deaf but her voice is harsh on the ears. Not pretty at all.

by Anonymousreply 5007/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!