Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone done Chantix?

What was your experience?

I feel nasty for like ten minutes after the pill. but how long do I need to take it?

by Anonymousreply 1803/03/2013

Save your money, OP.

Just stop smoking cigarettes.

Done and done.

by Anonymousreply 102/26/2013

Yes, she was a total slut. Met her in Paris on Spring break....

by Anonymousreply 202/26/2013

I did it for a few weeks and got really suicidal after 2 weeks. Weird, roller coaster almost fun dreams the first week or two and then depression that was just crushing.

No shit - that's a potential side effect and it's well documented. Although it doesn't happen to everyone.

I stopped immediately. I did quit smoking and didn't want one while I was on it - but I'm back to smoking again.

I am very hesitant to recommend it. Very.

by Anonymousreply 302/26/2013

OP R3 here again - I really want to warn you about this drug. Be very aware of your moods.

The depression and suicidal thoughts are very real. I have had depression in the past but that was years ago. I'm positive it was the Chantix that brought it on again - and then disappeared after I stopped taking it.

Really fucking scary - almost like someone in your head night and day telling you your life isn't worth living and that you're better off dead - you'll never have joy or happiness again. I remember driving to work and thinking I'll never make it there without driving off the road and ending it.

Whew. Tread lightly.

by Anonymousreply 402/27/2013

I took Chantix and it works. 12 days later, way in advance of the whole program, I had quit smoking cigs and wanting them.

Unless you are careful, YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT, so get a lot of low fat, low sugar food in your fridge.

Vivid dreams, insomnia are common. Get some benedryl from walmart to make you drousy to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 502/27/2013

I took it for two months and have been smoke-free for 4 years. It worked great for me.

by Anonymousreply 602/27/2013

I used it with great success and no side effects. Having been skeptical of how well it would work, it simply removed the urge to smoke.

It worked almost immediately. I did continue to smoke a bit in the allotted transition time of the first few weeks, but quickly found myself with packs of cigarettes to give away. Though seemingly effective almost immediately, I continued the Chantix maintenance doses for two or three months on the notion of "better safe than sorry." Two years on, I have the rare dream that features smoking but never once an urge to pick up a cigarette, even in the situations where, in the past, smoking would have held its greatest appeal -- a contrast to having quit once for several years by cold turkey method, in which time I never lost the not infrequent urge.

Quitting many years ago on my own, I recall being easily cross and generally irritable. With Chantix that wasn't a problem, nor anything else; there wasn't even that sense of "normally I would be smoking right now" rather it seemed to have excised the urge and the attraction behind the urge to smoke. For me, it was a great thing.

by Anonymousreply 702/27/2013

My cousin was a 35-year smoker, and she started taking it on her 50th birthday. No side effects except for very vivid acid-like dreams. She was on it for 2 weeks and hasn't had a cigarette in 4 years.

Take it, but just beware there could be side effects. Talk to your doctor about it.

by Anonymousreply 802/27/2013

Chantix helped me quit smoking two years ago. Very little side effects. I stopped smoking within two weeks and haven't wanted to since.

Chantix doesn't make you feel like you've stopped smoking, it makes you feel like you never did.

by Anonymousreply 902/27/2013

I took it for six weeks or so and have been cigarette-less for 5 years, one month and 23 days. Yay for me!!

by Anonymousreply 1002/27/2013

I used Chantix and quit smoking using it after smoking heavily for 23 years.

I had done my research before taking it and there is a possibility of suicidal thoughts in males. You must eat before you take it otherwise it can increase the chances of this happening. It also makes you feel very nauseaus after taking it if you don't eat right away.

It also caused some really crazy bad dreams which I still remember but in contast to smoking cigarettes, the dreams were small annoyances and part of the price of stopping smoking.

Remember when we started smoking? The bad headaches, nausea and throwing up as our bodies got used to the poisons? Stopping is just as nasty. I was a 30 a day smoker and I had been trying to give up for 20 plus years. I was stunned that Chantix worked actually but it did. I still can't believe it.

You can do this OP and you will feel like a different person. Your life will change.

That's the good part of my story.

Here's the bad part. One day after about 2 years of not smoking one cigarette after I stopped I had a horrible day. I asked a friend for a ciagarette and smoking it. I threw up right away. Then I had another a few hours later. Then I gradually started smoking again and now 18 months later I am smoking 30 a day again.

I have to give up AGAIN. I am about to do it actually. What kind of idiot am I? It's such a horrible addictive drug. I will use Chantix again and this time I will never smoke again. It's so hard to stop if you are as addicted as I am.

My advice OP - try Chantix - it will work. Keep an eye on any side affects you are experiencing. And you can never have another cigarette once you have stopped. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 1102/28/2013

An acquaintance used it and had a reecurring dream of skinning and butchering his dog like a deer. Really messed him up.

by Anonymousreply 1202/28/2013

I took it for about 3 months 2 years ago and am still smoke-free. I never have the physical craving for a cigarette, although it passes, briefly, through my head when I'm watching an old movie where everybody smokes.

My only side effect were the acid-dripped Technicolor dreams. Some were wicked scary, some were wicked fun, but they were all just wicked weird.

by Anonymousreply 1302/28/2013

Tried it and managed to quit a 20yr heavy smoking addiction. I was such a heavy addict that I never envisaged myself quitting. I refused to travel overseas due to long flight times without smoking.

As with posters above, I had similar side effects, but limited to what could be described as almost hallucinogenic dreams. I quit for 4 years, but stupidly started again recently :(

by Anonymousreply 1402/28/2013

R14, you are a bad, bad boy and you KNOW IT. Now, what do you intend to do about it? And tell us, the exact circumstances that triggered you to go back to smoking. Did somebody laugh about the size of your dick again? Ignore that stuff, it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 1503/01/2013

Didn't work for me. I tried it last year for a month and a half. I ended up smoking double trying to get my fix.

Years back, I went in for a laser cleaning for my teeth. I didn't smoke for a year after that. I put vanity over health every time. I think I need to go in and get a Zoom Whitening done again. I'm at an age where if I don't stop soon, I'll be hating myself when the lines start showing up.

by Anonymousreply 1603/01/2013

R16, If you are lucky, you will have died from lung cancer long before "smoker's lines" appear on your face. You can go to your rest knowing you are an exquisite looking corpse.

by Anonymousreply 1703/01/2013

I'm bored so I'm answering everything hat interests me here tonight.. I quit smoking forever in a wk on it. It works. Be prepared for really weird stuff to happen in you head before you fall asleep. Audio hallucinations, night terrors but It was worth it

by Anonymousreply 1803/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.