Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Seth MacFarlane, Oscars Host? Never Again, Says Showrunner

There won't be another Seth MacFarlane Oscars.

The "Family Guy" showrunner hosted Sunday's Academy Awards, but said he will not take the job again. MacFarlane wrote on Twitter that there was "no way" he would host another Oscars (see below). He did say, however, that it was "lotta [sic] fun to have done it."

The telecast climbed to a strong 40.3 million viewers on Sunday, the biggest audience in three years.

MacFarlane has said he wouldn't host again before. In pre-show interviews, he admitted to being exhausted and feeling overworked.

"Who knows how this will go," he said. "Even if it goes great, I just don't think that I could do this again. It's just too much with everything else that I have to do. I'm happy to be doing it and I will be thrilled to have done it, assuming I get out of there in one piece, but I really think this is a one-time thing for me."

Though some said he put on a competent show, MacFarlane was knocked for his misogynistic undertones in a number of his jokes and bit pieces. "We Saw Your Boobs," a song from the opening of the show, was dinged as particularly base -- especially since a number of the actresses mentioned in the songs were portraying rape victims in the movies in which they disrobed. (That was hardly the only criticism, though. For a recap of jokes that fell flat, check out our earlier coverage.)

by Anonymousreply 2402/27/2013

"Never again?" BRAVO! That's just fine with me.

by Anonymousreply 102/26/2013

Thank god

by Anonymousreply 202/26/2013

Great news. If you're going to be a sexist jerk then at least be funny about it, his shtick was both boring and offensive in equal measure.

by Anonymousreply 302/26/2013

Seth has more class than his detractors, like the usually cunty R1 on this thread.

Newsflash: you knew Seth's brand of humor going into this. Isn't pretty stupid to bitch about his humor when you know his stock in trade. Don't like it? Don't watch it. It's seems pretty simple to me.

by Anonymousreply 402/26/2013

There shouldn't have been a first time.

by Anonymousreply 502/26/2013

Would he do it again if they begged him and offered more money?

by Anonymousreply 602/26/2013

"Seth has more class than his detractors"

"Class?" His forte is frat boy humor: fart jokes, poop jokes, sex jokes, titty jokes. Nothing "classy" about that, you incredible idiot.

by Anonymousreply 702/26/2013

Seth was great.

He'll be back next year as emcee. He did a masterful job.

The tide of hysteria will have turned by the time the decision is to made for the 2014 Oscar's®.

I can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 802/26/2013

I'm sure ABC wants his ass back.

by Anonymousreply 902/26/2013

It astounds me that people are criticizing him. Consider this: All of the Best Picture nominees (except "Argo") were for gloomy, gut-wrenchingly sad movies or obscure films that no one saw. The nominees were all from these downbeat movies (has there ever been a less glamorous bunch of nominated actors and actresses?)

Somehow Seth MacFarlane was supposed to turn these off-putting films and the notoriously tedious long ceremony into something entertaining that people (especially younger people) would watch. And he...did it!

Instead of celebrating his achievement everyone's going over every second of the broadcast with the suspicious determination usually reserved for purported UFO footage or the Zapruder film fishing for every possible joke that they might have forgotten to be offended about. Are as many people watching "Argo" on Amazon? How many armchair critics pre-ordered their DVD release of the elderly couple facing decline and death? How many even know how to pronounce the name of the little girl from "Beasts of the Southern Wild"-and where were the packed theaters for that movie? I don't think it even played anywhere near where I live, so the notion of a 9 year old winning best actress only added to the absurdity and irrelevance of the event.

It was due for a reality check. The "boob song?" I'm gay, but I know that every straight guy got the joke. Remember how charged up us gays were by the "8th Wonder of the World" between Michael Fassbender's legs-even George Clooney joked about it-and in "Shameless" he played a hopeless sex addict.

So some of the women who bared their breasts on film were portraying victimized characters? People take screen caps out of context., because they are out of context! I'm sure the majority of straight guys enjoyed seeing the bare breasts of movie stars as gay guys like seeing the actors who are brave enough to go "Full Monty." The truer the joke the more uncomfortable people get-that's the exact definition of satire.

And Seth MacFarlane is one of the masters of creative, zany, over-the-top-but bracingly honest pop-culture satire Hollywood has ever produced. He's like Robin Williams with sanity and smarts.

The only revolutionary difference this year is that people were already complaining about how awful the Oscars were-while they were still happening! I think the two jokes that were out of line and awkwardly unfunny: the Adele/Rex Reed joke and the Mark Wahlberg/"Jews run Hollywood" bit seemed to come from desperation at being knocked off balance by the flood of hate Tweets that began seconds into the show.

Rest assured next year Seth MacFarlane probably won't host. Who ever does will be eaten alive, the ratings will never be this high again and by the first commercial break the Twitterati will be crying out-"(blank) is the worst host ever! Why couldn't they get Seth MacFarlane again! He was great!"

by Anonymousreply 1002/26/2013

r4, some of us didn't. I've never seen anything Seth MacFarlane has done, so I had no idea what to expect. I was appalled. Take aside the fact that he was offensive -- he wasn't even funny. This is what passes for humor these days?

by Anonymousreply 1102/26/2013

r10, I had to stop reading with your first paragraph, since it was obvious you had no idea what you were talking about.

"Lincoln," although a serious drama, was hardly downbeat -- ultimately it was an inspiring film that surprised Hollywood by grossing $177 million.

"Silver Linings Playbook" is a romantic comedy starring two of today's most popular stars; it's grossed $107 million.

"Les Misérables" is a musical that makes people enjoy crying; it's grossed $146 million.

"Django Unchained" was a wildly entertaining, blood-drenched revenge fantasia that has grossed $158 million.

"Zero Dark Thirty" is a flag waving we-fucking-killed-Bin-Laden rah rah USA piece of propaganda; it grossed $91 million.

"Life of Pi" is a life-affirming tale of a physical and spiritual journey that leaves the viewer on an ecstatic high when it's over; it's grossed $113 million.

Only the indie "Beasts of the Southern Wild" ($12 million at the box office) and the foreign flick "Amour" ($5 million) could be considered little-seen, and only the latter could be considered truly and unapologetically downbeat.

In fact, this is the first time a pluralty of the Best Picture nominees have grossed more than $100 million, making this one of the most popular line-up of Best Pictures ever.

So don't make up some fantasy about how it was the movies that couldn't draw an audience to the Oscarcast.

by Anonymousreply 1202/26/2013

[quote]Newsflash: you knew Seth's brand of humor going into this. Isn't pretty stupid to bitch about his humor when you know his stock in trade. Don't like it? Don't watch it. It's seems pretty simple to me.

Here's a newsflash for you, R4. Some of us didn't watch the Oscars for MacFarlane. We were there to see who won and who wore the best gowns.

I found it very easy to hit the mute button when he was on.

by Anonymousreply 1302/26/2013

"And he...did it!"

No, he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 1402/26/2013

He was great but don't blame him for not wanting to do it again.

by Anonymousreply 1502/26/2013

Other than Chris Rock and his "Can't get Tom Cruise, get Jude Law!!!" schtick, when did ANY host ever get criticized by the stars moments after he hosted the Oscar show?

Yes, he has his admirers for his hosting the show, but I don't think he (or anyone else)expected such a negative visceral reaction - beginning with comments from the stars themselves...Halle Berry was vocal in her dislike in interviews outside the Vanity Fair party.

by Anonymousreply 1602/26/2013

Well, Halle has to say something to stay relevant. Or try.

by Anonymousreply 1702/26/2013

Yes, I think this is actually worse than the Anne Hathaway/James Franco disaster: they were just dull. MacFarlane offended half the world -- and wasn't funny into the bargain. It's worse than Letterman's trip to the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 1802/26/2013

Oh well, if Seth has truly lost the support of Halle Berry, I don't see how he can go on.

by Anonymousreply 1902/26/2013

I'm still offended I had to watch Halle's therapy session when she won her Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 2002/26/2013

MacFarlane wasn't nearly as offensive as Ricky Gervais on the Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 2102/26/2013

Or remotely as funny, r21.

by Anonymousreply 2202/26/2013

So, we won't hear, "We Saw Your Asshole", next year?

by Anonymousreply 2302/27/2013

[quote]So, we won't hear, "We Saw Your Asshole", next year?

We saw him this year.

by Anonymousreply 2402/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.