Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Scores Of Republicans Sign Legal Brief Supporting Gay Marriage

At least 75 top Republicans have signed a legal brief to be submitted to the Supreme Court this week, arguing that gay marriage is a constitutional right, according to The New York Times, which got a copy of the document.

The court is preparing to take on the subject of gay marriage late next month, when it will hear oral arguments on the constitutionality of California's gay marriage ban, Proposition 8, and the Defense of Marriage Act. It is expected to render a decision in early summer.

The signers of the document are mostly out-of-office Republicans or former top officials, including former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, former Rep. Deborah Pryce (R-Ohio), former Massachusetts Govs. William Weld and Jane Swift, and former New Jersey Gov. Christine Todd Whitman.

Reps. Richard Hanna (N.Y.) and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (Fla.) are notable exceptions, and are among the most pro-gay Republicans in Congress.

Their position stands in contrast to House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who is poised to spend up to $3 million in defense of DOMA. The law prohibits same-sex married couples from getting federal benefits and allows states not to recognize other states' same-sex unions. The Obama administration has directed its Justice Department not to defend the law.

The friend-of-the-court brief is apparently aimed squarely at conservatives' hearts, citing the Citizens United case on campaign finance and District of Columbia v. Heller, which overturned the city's handgun ban.

Former first lady Laura Bush, who protested to get footage of her removed from a pro-gay marriage ad campaign last week, has not signed the brief. Neither has former Secretary of State Colin Powell. Former Vice President Dick Cheney has not signed it, despite the fact that pro-gay Republican groups crow that he has been more progressive than President Barack Obama on the issue.

by Anonymousreply 9302/26/2013

-- this is potentially really huge.

by Anonymousreply 102/26/2013

Where's the horse in this Trojan?

by Anonymousreply 202/26/2013

The Republican party needs to distance themselves from the bible thumpers. It's the only chance they have to recover. This is a smart move and will attract the fiscally conservative liberals...

by Anonymousreply 302/26/2013

Not only the bible thumpers (i.e. Christian Evangelicals) but also mainline denominations like the pervs of the Roman Catholic Church.

by Anonymousreply 502/26/2013

Yes, R3 nailed it. Without moves like this, the GOP is dead.

by Anonymousreply 702/26/2013

But after a lifetime of having the GOP shit on us, spit on us, do everything to us but establish Gayschwitz, HOW THE FUCK ARE WE SUPPOSED TO TRUST ANY OF THEM?

by Anonymousreply 802/26/2013

Well, the bible thumpers have complete control over the Republican party and that's not gonna change. This PR stunt is meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 902/26/2013

Cue Mizz Lindsey Graham.

by Anonymousreply 1002/26/2013

This is primarily for friends and relatives of the gays. Going forward, younger generations won't be put off by the bigotry but, for now, this is going to alienate a lot of Republicans and split the party. But they have to do it. You can't stay on the wrong side of progress forever. But for their base, it's a real "wtf?" moment.

by Anonymousreply 1102/26/2013

John Bohner is a miserable human being. Defintely he's insecure in his life.

by Anonymousreply 1202/26/2013

Meg Whitman, who supported Prop 8 when she ran for governor of California, signed the brief. Rapid moral evolution or a reflection of her political whoredom? You decide.

by Anonymousreply 1302/26/2013

If you grew up with a name that starts with "B" and that most people think rhymes with "loner" and "owner," you'd be insecure, too, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1402/26/2013

I don't fully trust them, but maybe they're starting to recognize how out of touch and bigoted their party is.

by Anonymousreply 1502/26/2013

What needs to be stressed here is "out of office Republicans and former top officials."

Which means that these people have nothing to lose and that the GOP in general will pay zero attention to this. If Meg Whitman planned to run for office again, she would not have signed this.

99% of the Republicans who are in office and plan to be re-elected will not come near this brief.

This will certainly get the Log Cabinettes and GOProud lemmings all atwitter. They're going to crow about this and conveniently ignore the fact that, while this is nice on the surface, it will have no impact on how the GOP conducts itself publicly on this issue.

by Anonymousreply 1702/26/2013

Bohner spending millions to ban gay rights. Guy is an asshole!

by Anonymousreply 1802/26/2013

Exactly, r17.

What needs to be stressed here is that this is an action by a very small handful of out of office Republicans and former top officials.

Hooray for those with the tiny shred of decency and intelligence it took to do this, but beyond that, I don't know why this is being sold (and bought, apparently) as a change of heart for the party, which is still rabidly anti-gay and rabidly anti-equality.

by Anonymousreply 1902/26/2013

Meggy Whitman has a gay son

by Anonymousreply 2002/26/2013

The Republican Party is still overwhelmingly committed to opposing any advancement in gay rights and seeks to keep LGBT people as permanent 2nd class citizens. What's disturbing to me is that younger House Republicans (in their 30s and 40s) are just as virulently homophobic as the House Republicans in their 70s and 80s. The "younger generation" of the party is not doing anything to modernize it but is still beating the hateful drum they've inherited from their predecessors.

Of course there are pro-gay rights Americans who also identify as Republicans, but they're not the ones in office, so their opinions are meaningless if they're still voting for the party that hates gays.

by Anonymousreply 2102/26/2013

God made Adam and Eve, R22, not Adam and his second wife, Barbara. When straight people campaign to ban divorce we will believe they care about preserving the sanctity of marriage.

by Anonymousreply 2302/26/2013

Adam and Eve evolved from Early Hominids, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 2402/26/2013

Hate and fear are the only things keeping the Republican party alive.

by Anonymousreply 2502/26/2013

[quote]What needs to be stressed here is "out of office Republicans and former top officials."

This needs to be repeated a million times. A bunch of people who aren't actually elected officials or planning on running for election. A nice gesture but I'll care more when some actively serving Republicans are willing to fight their party on this.

by Anonymousreply 2602/26/2013

On one hand, I am pleased to read this. But on the other, I cant help but be cynical and think that these people are being opportunistic. The writing is on the wall and anyone with half a brain can see DOMA is going to fail and Prop 8 is going to fail. They milked the anti-gay vote for all it was worth when it was advantageous for them, and now that they see to keep doing that is political suicide, they suddenly are changing their tune.

by Anonymousreply 2702/26/2013

R22 God also made hurricanes, diseases, typhoons, droughts, earthquakes, snake venom and volcanoes. By your logic, we should embrace the misery and pain those things cause because God made them.

by Anonymousreply 2802/26/2013

I still distrust republicans, this is not going to change the party

by Anonymousreply 2902/26/2013

R4 is what I hate more than Republicans. Stupid gay Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 3002/26/2013

A curious name on the list is David Stockman who was Reagan's Office of Management and Budget chief. He's not really been prominent politically, but he criticized Bush II's fiscal policies. I looked at his bio and his wife is the chairperson of Republican Majority for Choice. These are the Republicans I recall from the '70s and '80s who were conservative fiscally but progressive on social issues.

We can look at it cynically, but it's all about movement forward. These are the kinds of folks who will move the stagnant party forward out of the backward swamp of conservative Christianity.

There's going to be a culture war inside the Republican party and we're already seeing signs of it. Chris Christie being disinvited from the CPAC convention while the relics Palin and Romney will be speaking. Palin being dropped at Fox.

by Anonymousreply 3102/26/2013

Gay republicans = self destructive psychosis

by Anonymousreply 3302/26/2013

[quote]"nancy boy"

Nice homophobia, republicunt R32 R16 R4. Is Monicunt Crowley, Kunty Anne Kuntpatrick, or Ann Cunter your favorite role model? (Damn that Laura Ingraham for not having a more cuntable name).

by Anonymousreply 3402/26/2013

If there were I think we'd know them, R32. This troll always acts like we're so sheltered. We're not.

by Anonymousreply 3502/26/2013

Some of these people are signing on because they don't want future generations to look at them as having been on the wrong side of history.

Marriage equality will eventually be coming to all the states and hate-mongers like John Boehner can spend millions of dollars to fight against equal rights, but they'll fail.

The Supreme Court will rule in favor of gays. None of those on the Court want to be on the wrong side of history. They know that bans against gay marriage will fail in coming years, so they want to be part of the march toward equality. Each Supreme is looking out for his/her own story in history books. They don't want to end up in the Bigot column.

by Anonymousreply 3602/26/2013

R22 Who writes your dialog, R4?

by Anonymousreply 3702/26/2013

No R38. Just Republicunts.

by Anonymousreply 3902/26/2013

R38 In what way is R34 a "HYPOCRITE" because he hates Republicunts?

by Anonymousreply 4002/26/2013

[quote]but also mainline denominations like the pervs of the Roman Catholic Church.

Who overwhelmingly vote Democrat, despite what their Bishops tell them.

by Anonymousreply 4102/26/2013

Lay Catholics are generally supportive of gay marriage. Nearly 60%. Here's a recent thread contrasting Catholics and Southern Baptists. Republican Catholics are likely to have less opposition than the bible thumpers.

by Anonymousreply 4202/26/2013

[quote]overwhelmingly vote Democrat, despite what their Bishops tell them.

And it seems that it's the Bishops who still have their heads in the sand while the priests and congregations ignore them.

by Anonymousreply 4402/26/2013

I would end my argument to the Supreme Court as follows:

In our future generations' history books, will this Court wish to likened to the Court of Brown v. Board of Education or, the Court of Plessy v. Ferguson?

by Anonymousreply 4502/26/2013

I hate you, Republicunt R43. Or would you rather be called Sonderkomandette?

by Anonymousreply 4602/26/2013

These Republicans along with public sentiment and solid legal cases should be enough to persuade Roberts. He voted in favor of the ACA so he will likely vote to eliminate Prop 8 and DOMA. That's all we need. Kennedy can side with the bigots or he can do what is right.

by Anonymousreply 4702/26/2013

Does Maggie Gallagher have any inkling about how poorly history will regard her? This must be very deflating for her.

by Anonymousreply 4802/26/2013

[quote]This must be very deflating for her.

Not deflating enough. Have you ever seen her? She looks like an escapee from the Goodyear Blimp factory.

by Anonymousreply 4902/26/2013

Yeah. I was trying to work in a joke about deflating the goiter, but I'm not clever enough.

by Anonymousreply 5002/26/2013

[quote]Marriage equality will eventually be coming to all the states and hate-mongers like John Boehner can spend millions of dollars to fight against equal rights, but they'll fail.

I think they will soon stop. They need to separate from the Tea party types. This would be a good place to start.

by Anonymousreply 5102/26/2013

Further proof that The Republican Party doesn't care about people or values. This is all just some stategic maneuver to force other polititians' hands.

by Anonymousreply 5202/26/2013

[quote]None of those on the Court want to be on the wrong side of history.

Scalia will go there, quite willingly.

by Anonymousreply 5302/26/2013

You tell him, Sonderkomandette R54.

by Anonymousreply 5602/26/2013

That may be your feelings, r55, but it's not mine or anybody in my circle of gay friends.

by Anonymousreply 5702/26/2013

R4, is the only way you can defend your stance by hurling insults? You really are a ignorant one.

by Anonymousreply 5802/26/2013

Surely, someone the Republican leadership must see that throwing $3 million away is not going to do anything.

by Anonymousreply 5902/26/2013

You rock, R58.

by Anonymousreply 6002/26/2013

It's not that we're "extremest," R61, just commonsensical. And awake for the last 40 or 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 6402/26/2013

You sound like a shit stirring, cliché of a troublemaking closet case, r62.

by Anonymousreply 6502/26/2013

Would someone post the list of signees?

I went to the link but could not find it.

Mercy buckets and grassy ass!

by Anonymousreply 6602/26/2013

Vile cunt Mary Bono Mack actively worked AGAINST gay marriage the entire time she was in office. Now that she was beaten by a man who supports gay marriage she decides she is too is for it. What a nasty cunt. fuck off and die you asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6702/26/2013

[quote]Of the 82 Republicans on the SCOTUS marriage amicus brief list, only four in office, and only two at the federal level.

by Anonymousreply 6902/26/2013

And there you have it....

by Anonymousreply 7002/26/2013

The stupid and greedy gay jerks are already members of the Log Cabin Republicans and GoProud.

It takes a great deal more effort to make the gays with enough self esteem and dignity join the Republican Party than some lame ass lip service or 'allowing' Gay Marriage to happen. Especially since the Republican Party was not yet able to present some candidate who has a progressive (gay friendly) voting record.

by Anonymousreply 7102/26/2013

There's nothing wrong with changing your mind. Certain Presidents have done it.

But I would like it noted in their permanent record.

by Anonymousreply 7202/26/2013

Here ya go R66

by Anonymousreply 7302/26/2013

Thanks r73.

by Anonymousreply 7402/26/2013

Funny. They vast majority of those on the list are Bush II appointees.

by Anonymousreply 7502/26/2013

Trojan Horse

by Anonymousreply 7602/26/2013

R77 He's not being "clever," just observant. And his thought process is probably a lot more accurate than yours.

by Anonymousreply 7802/26/2013

Huntsman is so handsome and he speaks Chinese too.

by Anonymousreply 7902/26/2013

He who is passionate and hasty, is generally honest; it is your cool dissembling hypocrite, of whom you should beware......

by Anonymousreply 8002/26/2013

A little late no??

by Anonymousreply 8102/26/2013

It will take YEARS and YEARS before the Republican Party will become gay friendly, despite who signs what. There will be de facto hate for most of our lifetimes.

For fuck's sake, a lot of Republicans still hate black people.

by Anonymousreply 8402/26/2013

[quote]a lot of Republicans still hate black people.

And don't seem too fond of women either.

by Anonymousreply 8502/26/2013

[quote]They need to separate from the Tea party types. This would be a good place to start.

I'm sure that they do, and I'm sure that this would be a good place to start -- but it is not likely to happen.

The Rethuglicans cast their lot with this insane group of 21st century racist, bigoted, homophobic Know-Nothings. This is their base. If they cast them off, they would lose elections all around the country for years to come.

So, while it should happen, don't hold your breath. All of the growing segments of the U.S. population are have been voting for Democrats. If this trend continues, the Republicans will be marginalized and little more than a Southern regional party.

[quote]Trojan Horse Beware

There is no Trojan Horse. The brief is what it is and there is nothing more to it; no "hidden" messages ready to pop out and destroy us. In all likelihood, the Supreme Court will decide the case in favor of same-sex marriage. These 75 people recognize that, and want to be on the right side of history.

by Anonymousreply 8602/26/2013

You know, these folks may be a bunch of dried-up old has-beens, but they had NO/ZERO obligation to do this. I like and respect when ANYONE goes on public record supporting us.

by Anonymousreply 8702/26/2013

R83 + R82 R32 R16 R4

If by what you mean by "ironic" is straight-up true and honest and accurate and right, and not your cryptofascist Republicunt bullshit.

Go suck on Cunter, cunter.

by Anonymousreply 8802/26/2013

They're supporting gay marriage suddenly because they know that support for their party is declining at such rapid speed due to it's out-of-date social views and they know that if they don't support it, they'll turn people off even more than they already do.

by Anonymousreply 8902/26/2013

It is perhaps true that these people were always in favor of gay rights but simply feared speaking up about it. Or it is also possibly true that these people are simply deserting a sinking ship and don't want to be seen any longer as bigots.

Whatever the reason, the Republican party is still full of very bad, homophobic, misogynistic, racist politicians and ideas. They are bad for the country, period. So I don't really care how many Republican politicians or ex-politicians or talking heads come out for gay rights at this point. I don't care what they do at all at this point. They are a blight on American society and I hope their party self-destructs into a little cloud of toxic dust.

by Anonymousreply 9002/26/2013

Most Republicans who support marriage equality are out of office.

by Anonymousreply 9202/26/2013

If they radically change their Party platform and stop trying to out-hate gay people as they campaign for office, maybe I'll stop thinking of Republicans as bigoted, homophobic shitstains.

Until then - they're a bunch of bigoted, homophobic shitstains.

by Anonymousreply 9302/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!