Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I begin teaching crocheting to my mother's knitting club tonight.

It's a four-week course meeting Tuesday nights at the yarn store where my mother's knitting club takes place. My mom is a faboo knitter, but is hopeless as crotcheting. She asked me instruct her little group, so I was happy to say yes.

I grew up at my mother's knee learning how to sew and knit. I started out with a weaving loom and worked my way up to knitting. My mom taught me all I know. We used to go yarn shopping together, and we still do on occasion. I took up crocheting on my own a couple of years ago, and am really good at it, if I don't say so myself. She wouldn't admit it, but I think she felt a little left in the dust when I entered the more fast-paced world of crocheting, so now's my chance to get her up to speed. Believe it or now, and I know this sounds a tad scandalous, but I now prefer it over knitting!

I'm a jittery, squirmy nervous wreck over this. I'm the apple of my mom's eye, and I know she's bragged to her friends how great a knitter/crocheter I am, so expectations are high that I'll be a good instructor. But I'm afraid I won't be able to live up to the hype. I've never taught a class before and am shy when it comes to standing before other people. I get intimidated easily. I just don't want to let her down. I know, I know, once I get there I'll be fine, but the anxiety is killing me. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 1002/26/2013

So you're tricking a bunch of old ladies into crocheting you a sex sling.

by Anonymousreply 102/26/2013

Bring wine...boxfuls.

They will love you not matter how bad you are.

by Anonymousreply 202/26/2013

Good luck, OP. I remember my very dear late grandmother teaching me simple crotcheting. I never caught on, but I do have a variety of her crotcheted afghans, along with several other members of the family. She never said anything explicit, but I'm sure she knew I was gay and made it clear she didn't mind gay people one bit.

We used to say she ran the Strategic Afghan Reserve. She died in 1990, and I still sleep under her fine handiwork.

by Anonymousreply 302/26/2013

Thanks for the wishes, r3. You're very inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 402/26/2013

I have found that most gay men are good at crotching.

by Anonymousreply 502/26/2013

[quote]I entered the more fast-paced world of crocheting

Oh, you krazeee kids!

by Anonymousreply 602/26/2013

OMG. The trolls here are getting worse all the time.

by Anonymousreply 702/26/2013

It sounds like a blast, OP. I know you will be fine and I bet you will have a lot of fun and make some new lady friends. I was just reading a thread about someone who is suicidal, I wish they had a bunch of ladies to teach crochet to.

by Anonymousreply 802/26/2013

Thanks r8. The ladies in my mom's knitting group range from late 20 to late 70s. I've met them at little gatherings, and they're all very friendly. I wouldn't mind making some more knitting friends. I belong to a knitting group myself, and we have knitting bees a few times a month.

by Anonymousreply 902/26/2013

You sound sweet, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1002/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!