Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I begin teaching crocheting to my mother's knitting club tonight.

It's a four-week course meeting Tuesday nights at the yarn store where my mother's knitting club takes place. My mom is a faboo knitter, but is hopeless as crotcheting. She asked me instruct her little group, so I was happy to say yes.

I grew up at my mother's knee learning how to sew and knit. I started out with a weaving loom and worked my way up to knitting. My mom taught me all I know. We used to go yarn shopping together, and we still do on occasion. I took up crocheting on my own a couple of years ago, and am really good at it, if I don't say so myself. She wouldn't admit it, but I think she felt a little left in the dust when I entered the more fast-paced world of crocheting, so now's my chance to get her up to speed. Believe it or now, and I know this sounds a tad scandalous, but I now prefer it over knitting!

I'm a jittery, squirmy nervous wreck over this. I'm the apple of my mom's eye, and I know she's bragged to her friends how great a knitter/crocheter I am, so expectations are high that I'll be a good instructor. But I'm afraid I won't be able to live up to the hype. I've never taught a class before and am shy when it comes to standing before other people. I get intimidated easily. I just don't want to let her down. I know, I know, once I get there I'll be fine, but the anxiety is killing me. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 1002/26/2013

So you're tricking a bunch of old ladies into crocheting you a sex sling.

by Anonymousreply 102/26/2013

Bring wine...boxfuls.

They will love you not matter how bad you are.

by Anonymousreply 202/26/2013

Good luck, OP. I remember my very dear late grandmother teaching me simple crotcheting. I never caught on, but I do have a variety of her crotcheted afghans, along with several other members of the family. She never said anything explicit, but I'm sure she knew I was gay and made it clear she didn't mind gay people one bit.

We used to say she ran the Strategic Afghan Reserve. She died in 1990, and I still sleep under her fine handiwork.

by Anonymousreply 302/26/2013

Thanks for the wishes, r3. You're very inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 402/26/2013

I have found that most gay men are good at crotching.

by Anonymousreply 502/26/2013

[quote]I entered the more fast-paced world of crocheting

Oh, you krazeee kids!

by Anonymousreply 602/26/2013

OMG. The trolls here are getting worse all the time.

by Anonymousreply 702/26/2013

It sounds like a blast, OP. I know you will be fine and I bet you will have a lot of fun and make some new lady friends. I was just reading a thread about someone who is suicidal, I wish they had a bunch of ladies to teach crochet to.

by Anonymousreply 802/26/2013

Thanks r8. The ladies in my mom's knitting group range from late 20 to late 70s. I've met them at little gatherings, and they're all very friendly. I wouldn't mind making some more knitting friends. I belong to a knitting group myself, and we have knitting bees a few times a month.

by Anonymousreply 902/26/2013

You sound sweet, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1002/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.