Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My ratings were 4% higher than when Crystal hosted.

My ratings were the highest in four years and the highest since 1987.

See you next year!

by S. MacFarlanereply 2702/26/2013

Good for you Seth. This industry is really fucked up and you did not deserve all that criricism.

by S. MacFarlanereply 102/26/2013

So what this means is...maybe critics are old farts who are out of touch. Huh.

by S. MacFarlanereply 202/26/2013

he's a LOT easier on the eyes than Crystal

by S. MacFarlanereply 302/26/2013

OP, highest since 2009 or 1987? Check your math and get back to us.

by S. MacFarlanereply 402/26/2013

He is not funny

Tina Fey & Amy Poehler did a better job at the Golden Globes.

by S. MacFarlanereply 502/26/2013

It means 4% more people like bathroom jokes.

by S. MacFarlanereply 602/26/2013

I thought James Franco was high on pot....seemed a tad listless to be crystal.

by S. MacFarlanereply 702/26/2013

Yay!

by S. MacFarlanereply 802/26/2013

Somebody on this board is really invested in trying to make this queen happen.

by S. MacFarlanereply 902/26/2013

[quote]the highest in four years and the highest since 1987.

Even though this is actually possible, one argument is a subset of the other, making the whole statement sloppy, confusing and plain uninteresting

by S. MacFarlanereply 1002/26/2013

[quote]making the whole statement sloppy, confusing and plain uninteresting

Just like your cunt.

by S. MacFarlanereply 1102/26/2013

I wish we could do direct graphics because "the highest in four years and the highest since 1987" actually makes perfect sense.

Four years ago, the ratings matched or bettered 1987 and this year (after a decline) it happened again.

by S. MacFarlanereply 1202/26/2013

Seth didn't drive the ratings. The movies did. The majority of the films nominated for Best Pic made over $100M. Amy and Tina were light years better.

by S. MacFarlanereply 1302/26/2013

I agree with R13, and I also I think Adele performing Skyfall brought in some viewers who might not normally have tuned in. Plus, there was Streisand's highly promoted (and rare) performance.

by S. MacFarlanereply 1402/26/2013

I didn't care for MacFarlane, but most viewers seem content. An LA Times poll showed a solid plurality wanted him back. His odd humor was evidently perceived as edgy.

by S. MacFarlanereply 1502/26/2013

I think the younger demographic, especially males, was the result of anticipation for the performance of Dame Shirley Bassey.

by S. MacFarlanereply 1602/26/2013

C'mom gays -- a Streep hosted Oscars would blow the roof off the ratings!

by S. MacFarlanereply 1702/26/2013

I haven't really laughed at an Oscar host since Dudley Moore was part of that group hosting thing many years ago.

by S. MacFarlanereply 1802/26/2013

The ratings were the highest in 26 years because of Barbra Streisand. Everyone I've talked to tuned in for her performance. She's the closest thing this country has to royalty.

by S. MacFarlanereply 1902/26/2013

How about Regina King, R19?

by S. MacFarlanereply 2002/26/2013

Has Seth McFarlane ever experienced the homosex?

by S. MacFarlanereply 2102/26/2013

R19 has it right.

by S. MacFarlanereply 2202/26/2013

Still unclear, r12, and you admit it yourself by invoking the need for graphics.

And, anyway, "the highest since 1987" (period) would have made a better impact.

by S. MacFarlanereply 2302/26/2013

[quote]She's the closest thing this country has to royalty.

Wow, spoken like a true queen, pardon the pun.

Do you honestly think the average straight guy gives a rat's ass about Barbra Streisand's level of importance in his cultural stratosphere? Derek Jeter, Jay Z, and Michael Jordan score much higher for him.

And, if we stick to film, Willis, Smith, and Schwarzenegger are ranks above that Jewish chick who did "What's Up Doc?" and whose records his mom had. And they still wouldn't consider those icons royalty (just some lucky bastards who can get all the pussy they want).

And without backing from the straight male population, you don't have royalty.

by S. MacFarlanereply 2402/26/2013

R24. You're mixing apples and oranges. You're comparing Barbra Streisand, a show business icon who began her career more than 50 years ago, to Jay Z and Derek Jeeter, who are relative newcomers to the pop culture.

Sure those guys are popular now, and Barbra's heyday may have passed somewhat, but big deal. Barbra is from a different generation--and she's been wildly popular to millions for six decades. Her star isn't diminished among her fans because 30-year olds don't follow her closely now. She got where she is through talent and perseverance. Talk to us in 40 years. If Derek Jeeter is still popular, well then, he will have risen to Streisand's level now.

Don't get so carried away, Streisand is show business royalty. And she didn't attain that status simply because of women and gays. She attained it because the straight population in the '60, '70s and '80s loved her--including straight males. Yes, straight males in the '60s were among Barbra's millions of fans.

The 1960s straight talk show host Jack Paar along with Gary Moore and TV shost Ed Sullivan, all of whom were straight, are the ones who were crazy over Streisand and continued to have her on their shows. No one was more 'middle America' than Ed Sulllivan, and he gave Streisand legitimacy and success among straight America.

Streisand also succeeded among the straight population because of her work with Robert Redford, Ryan O'Neal and Kris Krisofferson along with her behind-the-scenes movie production partnership with Paul Newman and Sidney Portier. And she continued to win over straight males through her political activism. Was she always more popular with women? Probably so. But she didn't achieve 'royal' status in the entertainment business only because of women and gays. Just as Jay Z and Derek Jeeter didn't get where they are only because of male fans.

by S. MacFarlanereply 2502/26/2013

I agree, R9. Who is pushing him on DL? Seth himself? He was so UNFUNNY. And not only unfunny, but it was the unfunny "humor" of 20-30 years ago.

by S. MacFarlanereply 2602/26/2013

The ratings weren't THAT great. The ratings for the abominable Rob Lowe/Snow White show were much higher.

And you won't be seeing him "next year." He says he's not going to do it again EVER, and God knows nobody is going to take a chance on letting him host again. God knows what he'd do.

by S. MacFarlanereply 2702/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.