Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People who think they are introverted, but they aren't

This bugs me as I am a true introvert and some of these Chatty Cathy hail fellow well met types have decided to claim this adjective for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 3010/24/2013

Sure, you illiterate loudmouth twat. A "true introvert" such as you would post a thread like this.

And call the noun "introvert" an adjective to boot.

by Anonymousreply 102/26/2013

I think r1 is drunk.

by Anonymousreply 202/26/2013

This makes me laugh. A former coworker who has 'friended' me on FaceBook posts ad nauseum to his 2000 FaceBook friends about his life as an introvert and how, being an introvert, he is prone to deep reflection and more analytical of the world's problems. For an introvert, he sure talks about himself a lot to a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 302/26/2013

the Extrovert Jumps in, expecting the waters to be shallow

the Introvert holds back, expecting the waters to be deep

by Anonymousreply 402/26/2013

I jumped into a river once, expecting the waters to be deep. (They weren't. Ow.) Where does that put me?

by Anonymousreply 502/26/2013

I remember a survey once where 60% of Americans surveyed said they were "shy" and no more loudmouth and aggressively social people exist on this earth.

by Anonymousreply 602/26/2013

One of the main differences between an extrovert and an introvert is that an extrovert gets their energy from other people while an introvert's energy is drained out of them by dealing with lots of people.

I'm definitely an introvert - I'm a wallflower at a bar, not good at being overly unctuous or dealing with large crowds. I prefer hanging with a small group of people instead. After a period of time, I'm ready to go home and unwind ASAP!

On the other hand, your average extrovert is better at "working a room," charming people, never meeting a stranger, etc. The "natural-born salesman" types tend to be extroverts. My father is an extrovert, thrives on attention, invites people to the house for a barbecue at the drop of a hat, and likes to sing in front of crowds.

Obviously, these are generalities, but there are different degrees of what constitutes an introvert or an extrovert. Being an introvert does not necessarily mean that you are "shy" either. Once I get to know someone, I'm a lot more open and outgoing.

by Anonymousreply 702/26/2013

I'm a true introvert, but in the unfortunate position to be in sales. I find it exhausting, but I'm good at it. I tend to be better one on one, and do well forming a bond with a client. coworkers tend to work a lot of people, but I sell more.

by Anonymousreply 802/26/2013

The more accurate spelling is "extravert."

And R1 is a cuntrovert.

by Anonymousreply 902/26/2013

I'm an introvert, a lot of it stems from social anxiety. The thought of being in a crowded bar or at a party full of strangers really stresses me out and I'm usually happiest when I'm by myself.

by Anonymousreply 1002/26/2013

Gwyneth Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 1204/02/2013

A lot of introverts may have learned to imitate extroverted behavior to fit in better or to excel at a job that requires a lot of social interaction. An introvert and an extrovert can do the same work, but the difference is that at the end of the day, the introvert is ready to go home and have some quiet time, while the extrovert's idea of unwinding after a long day at work is going out to a party.

by Anonymousreply 1304/02/2013

I consider myself shy.

by Anonymousreply 1404/02/2013

I would classify myself as an introvert but not necessarily shy. I will be talkative and social when I am in public, but I generally prefer to unwind at home by myself--and don't necessarily seek out social interaction unless I'm going out drinking with my friends.

by Anonymousreply 1504/02/2013

Introverts wouldn't notice the chatty Cathys.

by Anonymousreply 1604/02/2013

What R13 said.

by Anonymousreply 1704/02/2013

r7 has it right: One of the main differences between an extrovert and an introvert is that an extrovert gets their energy from other people while an introvert's energy is drained out of them by dealing with lots of people.

I observe this all the time. Half my family is introverted and the other half extroverted, and the difference is really whether dealing with others (including, but not limited to, strangers) gives them energy or robs them of it. And each of the two types generally don't understand why the other loves being with people so much, or can stand to be alone.

What I find really interesting is that this is fundamentally determined by nature, not nurture. Parents and children, full siblings brought up together -- they may be similar in most other ways, but can be different as day and night when it comes to intro/extroversion. Funny.

by Anonymousreply 1810/24/2013

introversion has nothing to do w/being shy; as others have stated above, it has to do with how you energize.

I'm a social introvert. I'm very good in social situations and people want to be around me, invite me to parties. But they wipe me out. I prefer being alone. I have learned to say no a lot and to have an excuse to not stay too long.

I know some severely shy extroverts. They kill me. They basically want to be entertained and drain everything out of me. Despite their inability to have a conversation, they always go to group activities.

by Anonymousreply 1910/24/2013

They want to make themselves sound more thoughtful and intelligent than they are.

by Anonymousreply 2010/24/2013

an extrovert jumps in, expecting the waters to be shallow

an introvert pauses, expecting the waters to be deep

by Anonymousreply 2110/24/2013

You can actually be extroverted and introverted at the same time. For instance, when I was a high school freshman and I suddenly found myself surrounded by a bunch of new people I was always quiet, very shy and I rarely spoke to anyone. But a couple of months later, after I got to know the people around me better, I became the biggest chatterbox in our class. The exact same thing also happened to me when I went to college.

by Anonymousreply 2210/24/2013

I'm an introvert who has learned to be more social and I've become fairly good at it. While I do enjoy being out with friends,I prefer to be alone. I'm very analytical, but I wasn't aware that it was because I'm an introvert. I suppose that's why I never get bored ;I'm always thinking and questioning, whether it be about ancient history ( I'm obsessed with Kush/Ancient Nubia and the Mayans at the moment)or the universe or whatever else, I'm always thinking about something. I also write down my thoughts and questions in order to research them later. Many people find that odd. But I guess I do these things because I'm an introvert.

by Anonymousreply 2310/24/2013

I don't get bored, either, R24. There's always something to do, mentally.

by Anonymousreply 2410/24/2013

When the photo doesn't match the caption?

by Anonymousreply 2510/24/2013

I know this will be lost on most since it's a gossip website and not a psychology one, but IMO introvert/extrovert are terribly muddled.

One can see from this thread alone how people aren't sure which they are; or they identify as one but find that traits of another resonate with them better. Moreover, people aren't one or the other; they're a mixture. Alternatively, you're sometimes extraverted and someties introverted as R23 points out. I myself LOVE people and social situations, but I don't need the constant social highs that extroverts talk about.

The best definition I've seen of introversion/extroversion are these: Introverts get energy from within and extroverts get it from without.

People also mistake extroverts to be strong personalities and introverts to be weak/ineffective but in many cases, the reality is far from this: Introverts make great leaders and public figures for they have the power to go away, hone their thoughts and energies to full potency, then present it to the world to get whatever done while extroverts are really the meek ones seeking approval from everyone.

Myers-Briggs/Kiersey have their own take on personalities which provide more detailed explanations.

by Anonymousreply 2610/24/2013

Introvert and shy aren't the same thing. You can be an outgoing introvert if you prefer your own company but are comfortable socializing with other people.

by Anonymousreply 2710/24/2013

R27[quote] IMO introvert/extrovert are terribly muddled.

Like a cucumber?

[quote]Myers-Briggs/Kiersey have their own take on personalities which provide more detailed explanations.

IIRC, I'm an INFJ.

by Anonymousreply 2810/24/2013

Exactly, R25. There is so much to think about and learn. I like thinking about linkages between ancient civilizations or pre-big bang scenarios. I guess I just love to think and learn so I never get bored. I thought I was a stealth nerd but I'm just an introvert and there are many people like me.

by Anonymousreply 2910/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!