Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

James Bond tribute

For all the advance promotion, I was expecting something with more punch.

It seems not a lot of time or thought went into it. I could have made the same montage on my laptop.

It would have been nice, for example, to see head shots of all six Bonds lined up in a row. Or include the titles somewhere, or a medley of the songs and scores that were nominated for Oscars.

Maybe they spent all their time and effort on Bassey's number, which was a knockout, but the "tribute" was awfully lame.

The Bond-oriented commercial for British tourism that ran during last night's show did a better job in 30 seconds.

by QE IIreply 1202/26/2013

Very underwhelming. I can't believe they promoted that sad little montage as a tribute. It was great to see Shirley Bassey, but why not more Bond music? Paul McCartney, Sheena Easton, Rita Coolidge, Duran Duran, and, you know, Adele (who wasn't part of the tribute, bizarrely). How about some special effects? How about doing a better job getting the Bond actors to appear?

by QE IIreply 102/25/2013

Yeah, it was pretty lame, except for La Bassey.

Someone on the live-Oscar thread posted that they'd intended to bring out a clutch of Bond actors, but Connery and Brosnan refused to come, because they hate the Broccoli family who produce the films. Without enough Bonds, the idea was scrapped.

by QE IIreply 202/25/2013

But there was so much more that they could have done without live bodies on stage.

by QE IIreply 302/25/2013

Disappointing presentation. They promoted it for months and that's the best they could deliver?

by QE IIreply 402/26/2013

R1 said it best. Only one friggin Bond song?

Shirley Bassey was still fabulous, but how about adding Sheena Easton singing 'For Your Eyes Only' and Carly Simon singing 'Nobody Does It Better.' Shirley, Sheena and Carly would have been a actual tribute.

by QE IIreply 502/26/2013

I was expecting to at least see some Bonds.

R2, I can see why Brosnan would hate the Broccolis - they fucked him over. But Connery? They took him back after he blew off the franchise once. What's he bitching about now?

by QE IIreply 602/26/2013

Connery feels they've screwed him over financially.

by QE IIreply 702/26/2013

So we could have had George Lazenby, Timothy Dalton, Roger Moore, and Daniel Craig.

Maybe they felt like without Connery, it was pointless.

by QE IIreply 802/26/2013

Connery thinks he *is* the franchise. Maybe he's right. Imagine if they'd started with Moore or Lazenby instead. I doubt there would be a Bond Film Franchise.

OHMSS would still be the best Bond movie...if it starred Sir Sean.

by QE IIreply 902/26/2013

I agree that the British tourism commercial better captured thee spirit of Bond thaan the under-produced "tribute."

by QE IIreply 1002/26/2013

[quote] Carly Simon singing 'Nobody Does It Better.'

Which was written by Marvin Hamlish and doubly appropriate.

by QE IIreply 1102/26/2013

I agree.

by QE IIreply 1202/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!