Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are the Oscars losing some class and style?

Last night was not the worst Oscars I have ever seen. But last night showed a far less MGM Hollywood, with rougher edges. From Marky Mark saying no bs, to Renee Zellweger and Kristen Stewart looking like they were doing scenes from " Valley of the Dolls", and Jennifer Lawrence tripping on the stairs. It all seemed less graceful. I couldn't tell the Oscars from the Grammys.

The Oscars use to be an event of high gloss and grace. Last night was awkward. Like your drug addict cousin at Thanksgiving dinner. You don't mind him being there just as long as he is not in the spotlight. Even the dancing was awkward. The only real classy moment was Shirley Bassey. She couldn't sing but she was graceful doing it.

Also why would the Academy nominate a six year old in a major acting category? They use to give out juvenile awards. That was fine. But is a six year old's performance really equal to Naomi Watts' performance?

Second does the Oscars really need a host? Can't people just hand out awards and fill in as hosts for evening? Then you can hire funny people and serious people, but you would keep the show moving?

by Anonymousreply 4302/26/2013

Honestly, I don't recall the Oscars as being overly classy or stylish... there were always some pretty horrific fashion statements... at least since the 80s.

The only good year for clothes was the one they enforced the dress code... it may have been the 80th anniversary or something. All I remember is a much younger Jodie Foster wore a beautiful ice blue satin dress.

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

The Oscars have a variety show format that hasn't been seen on TV for quite a while now (except for something like Sabado Gigante). Comedy, song and dance are supposed to seamlessly come together for an entertainment extravaganza. But that's what folks expected in the 1950s through the '70s. My deceased father and 85 year old mother loved them. But the format just doesn't seem to fit anymore. It's not even quaint as a throwback piece to another era. The entire format seems entirely too outdated for the digital age and on-demand programming.

by Anonymousreply 202/25/2013

I don't know if they ever had a lot of class but they at least used to try.

by Anonymousreply 302/25/2013

Oh please, the flubs and freakouts are what makes a show memorable!

There were some fun bits this year, Lawrence tripping and Tarantino babbling in a coked-out frenzy, but nothing to compare to Halle Berry's total breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 402/25/2013

They've been nominating juveniles in the major acting categories since 70s--Tatum O'Neal, Jodie Foster, Quinn Cummings and Justin Henry were all nominated in 1970-1980 (and O'Neal won).

It's not like they just started doing it. or have you suddenly woken from a forty years' sleep?

by Anonymousreply 502/25/2013

At what point did Halle Berry have a breakdown? I must've stepped out of the room.

by Anonymousreply 602/25/2013

they mean when she won she had a breakdown

by Anonymousreply 702/25/2013

OP, you sound 100 years old.

by Anonymousreply 802/25/2013

I miss Cher at the Oscars. She always livened things up.

by Anonymousreply 902/25/2013

R8 and R10 think - well, what? They have no context and no frame of reference. They're just useless cunts. The malignant cells of the DL.

With that said, OP, your memories do not quite match reality. The fabled "class" of the Oscars consists of occasional moments of grace among the sledgehammer blows of mediocrity, tedium and the offensive results of politicking.

Sure, Grace Kelly looked great with that rose. Liz Taylor handing out the Best Picture while livid that Burton lost Best Actor (again) was wonderful. Joan Crawford swooping in for Bancroft just to spite Davis is legendary. Babs' see-through-seeming pants suit. Cher's feathered monstrosity. Miss Littlefeather. The things you see in the clip shows. Nothing in the last 25 years touches them.

But mostly it has been boring all the way back, blah-blah-blah with terrible music, dumb jokes, second-rate presenters, lousy award choices, and never enough of the real business of filmmaking. There never was a sustained high point.

The awards started small, grew into a big deal with the studios divvying the awards up and announcing the winners before the show, suffered through years where the Academy almost died (Thank Frank Capra and Bette Davis in turn for saving it.) from non-interest and rancor, eased into the TV age with no clue of how to handle things, and has sat there like a golden turd for 50 years.

Still, it would be wonderful to watch what they'd do if they somehow ended early, like in 1959 when they had 10 minutes to kill and Jerry Lewis screamed for everyone to get up on stage and sing "There's No Business Like Show Business." The closest thing to a drunken mob brawl ever produced. That was this old queer's introduction to the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 1102/25/2013

Saying the oscars are losing class would be like saying Ross Perot lost an election.

by Anonymousreply 1202/25/2013

timely reference r12....Are you still doing Jimmy Carter/peanut jokes too?

by Anonymousreply 1302/25/2013

I thought Quentin Tarantino was just exuberant and happy. I didn't think he seemed coked up. Aren't people supposed to act delighted when they are surprised by an Oscar win?

by Anonymousreply 1402/25/2013

OP writes:

[bold]Last night was not the worst Oscars I have ever seen. . . .

The Oscars use to be an event of high gloss and grace. Last night was awkward. . . . [/bold]

Times have changed, OP. The Oscars don't have style and grace anymore. That ended well before Rex Reed became of age to collect Social Security. The Oscars are nowadays just another awards show. But it still ranks as the No. 1 most-important in all of showbiz. (And Shirley Bassey got old. So did Barbra Streisand. Just not as old as Rex Reed.)

[bold]Also why would the Academy nominate a six year old in a major acting category? . . . [/bold]

A best-actress nominee for [italic]Beasts of the Southern Wild[/italic], Quvenzhané Wallis is 9 years old.

[bold]Second does the Oscars really need a host?[/bold]

For the most part, the ceremony does need a host. If you want some discipline and anything in the way of the class it used to have, the notion of having there not be a host would not be of help.

by Anonymousreply 1502/25/2013

I liked how excited Tarantino and the woman behind him were about Shirley Bassey. Who was that woman?

by Anonymousreply 1602/25/2013

Shirley Bassey was fucking fabulous. I've alwways loved her. And her voice is still amazing.

by Anonymousreply 1702/25/2013

Shirley's voice sounded much better than Barbra's did.

by Anonymousreply 1802/25/2013

OP, there have been some classless incidents in Oscar history. In '73 you had Satcheen Littlefeather decline Marlon Brando's award. In '74, the infamous streaker rushed the stage while David Niven was at the podium. In '78, Vanessa Redgrave lambasted the "Zionist hoodlums" protesting outside the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion. In '99, host Whoopi Goldberg told some pretty off-color jokes like, "Who knew it was this hard to get a virgin off your face?" after she had appeared in Elizabeth I drag. In 2000, Trey Parker and Matt Stone showed up in JLo and Fishsticks drag. They admitted years later that they were tripping on acid that night. And I'd be surprised if there was nary a soul in the room throughout the 70s who wasn't high on weed or cocaine.

As for having no hosts, they tried that in '89 and that was the year of the Rob Lowe/Snow White fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 1902/25/2013

You expect class from Marky Mark?

by Anonymousreply 2002/25/2013

"losing" OP? you say that in present tense. More like "lost" class and style a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 2102/25/2013

I have never understood the love for Shirley Bassey. Okay, she's loud, but she's also flat and horridly untuneful.

by Anonymousreply 2202/25/2013

Move it back to late March.

by Anonymousreply 2302/25/2013

You remember it as more classy because the coverage wasn't so crazy. It was more controlled.

by Anonymousreply 2402/25/2013

One extremely big problem is that we now see these people all the time. Once upon a time, the only time the public saw the stars was in their films and at the Oscars. There used to be a lot of anticipation about seeing them, and with the women stars, their dresses, but not in terms of the designer, but how the dresses looked.

Media, political activism, and the internet have stripped away much of the mystique.

by Anonymousreply 2502/26/2013

You be young and full of shit, r10.

by Anonymousreply 2602/26/2013

OP, it is not the Oscars that has changed, it is YOU! You are elder and infirm now; your mind tends to wander. You slosh out to the kitchen during a commercial break and then forget why what you wanted there. You can NEVER find the remote because one of your cats is always sleeping on it. You hate the neighborhood kids because "they play so dang loud". They hate YOU because you blast the TV at 110 db and scare away even the crows.

It is not the Oscars, beloved elder, it is you and your dick falling off.

by Anonymousreply 2702/26/2013

Forget Jennifer trip on the stairs, flipping someone off was tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 2802/26/2013

The flipping off was a joke. You need to type the keywords into and you'll see every story explains how it was a joke before the press conference started. She wasn't really flipping off anyone.

by Anonymousreply 2902/26/2013

R27 is spot on.

by Anonymousreply 3002/26/2013

It doesn't matter if it was a joke or not r28, we are speaking of class and you don't do that. She didn't have to go that route but it shows how classless she is. For just once, in a lifetime experience, could she try to act a little more classy?

by Anonymousreply 3102/26/2013

hahaha, I misquoted myself. Ah good job, me.

R31 was meant for r27.

by Anonymousreply 3202/26/2013

This show started going downhill back when Carson stopped hosting.

by Anonymousreply 3302/26/2013

The Oscars are in bad shape, and I don't even mean the show, which had problems, but wasn't as bad as the Franco/Hathaway gig was two years ago.

They picked the two young white 'it' girls for lead and supporting, and then fellated Ben, all because they're 'popular' and good-looking, and these days more than ever this is all that matters.

It'd have been palatable had they picked Ann plus Riva. Or Adams and Lawrence. Any combination of one quality selection, and one popular selection.

But no... instead we were presented with the dullest, most pre-ordained, most quality-indifferent awards in recent memory.

The Oscars truly are in bad shape.

by Anonymousreply 3402/26/2013

[quote]The Oscars use to be an event of high gloss and grace.

You must have slept through the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 3502/26/2013

[quote]It'd have been palatable had they picked Ann plus Riva. Or Adams and Lawrence.

OMG!!! It is AnnE not Ann!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3602/26/2013

Damn the webmaster is a dumb fuck. Who the hell shuts down a gay gossip board during the oscars? What a fucking retard.

by Anonymousreply 3702/26/2013

Why were 'reality stars' shown on the red carpet, WTF do these trashy people have to do with the Oscars, let alone, with acting? Who in their right mind invites these sorts of people?

Yes, I'd say the Oscars have lost A LOT of their glamour!

by Anonymousreply 3802/26/2013

[quote]Why were 'reality stars' shown on the red carpet, WTF do these trashy people have to do with the Oscars, let alone, with acting?

It's unreal. Most of them don't even belong on TV.

by Anonymousreply 3902/26/2013

That Brandi Glanville snagged an invitation and walked the red carpet says something about the state of the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 4002/26/2013

If the ceremony seems vulgar, that's a reflection of American culture. Not saying that to badmouth our culture, but saying that we are not known for our refinement of anything really - dress, food, music ... all of it is kind of cheap and tacky.

If they Oscars reflect that, then what's the problem?

by Anonymousreply 4102/26/2013

They need to dial it back. Make it casual smart instead of black tie. Dressing up in formal wear at 3:00 in the afternoon is ridiculous anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4202/26/2013

I've never watched the BAFTAs. Do they have all of the song and dance and schtick or do they just get to business? It would seem that the Brits would do the latter.

by Anonymousreply 4302/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!