Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Not in memoriam

Academy snubs several dead people.

by Anonymousreply 7202/26/2013

I just couldn't continue watching so I didn't see the memoriam part. But I can't believe they didn't include Hagman and Griffith. That's not right. Why not include them? It's a few seconds. Geesh.

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

Your right - totally forgot . Hangman did a lot of movies too, pre - "Jeannie". I remember him in "Failsafe". And Andy's amazing "A Face In The Crowd" role was Oscar nominated. Lupe Olivero, the great Latina actress - " As Good As It Gets", any my favorite "Chuck And Buck".

by Anonymousreply 202/25/2013

The people who were mentioned were behind the scenes old farts. The actors mentioned were all unknown to me except for Celeste Holm, E Borgnine, Jack Klugman and Ray Bradbury of star trek. All the rest were unknowns to most all in attendance. I guess they had to pay to be mentioned. Oh, I knew who Marvin Hamlisch was.

by Anonymousreply 302/25/2013

My God - Ann Rutherford. The only other surviving member of "GWTW" now is dear 96 year old Livvie D. What's wrong with those Acadamy Board morons ?

by Anonymousreply 402/25/2013

How dare they!!!

How DARE they!!!

by Anonymousreply 502/25/2013

Andy Griffith was a raging cunt. That's probably why he wasn't included.

by Anonymousreply 602/25/2013

I was wondering if Hamlisch would get mentioned as he was the architect of the Snow White disaster. But his inclusion was fitting for this telecast.

by Anonymousreply 702/25/2013

Assholes. Every year, they forget someone, but this year they flat out snubbed far too many:

Andy Griffith, Larry Hagman, director David R. Ellis, Donna Summer, Gore Vidal, director Mel Stuart, actress Ann Rutherford and Oscar nominees Joyce Redman and Susan Tyrrell.

And...g Phyllis Diller, Conrad Bain, Lupe Ontiveros, Sherman Hemsley, Russell Means and Robin Sachs.

Asshole Academy, what's wrong with you?!

by Anonymousreply 802/25/2013

R7. Marvin Hamlish wrote many, many movie scores includeing The Way We Were, Sophie's Choice, Ice Castles, The Informant, etc., etc. The list goes on and on.

by Anonymousreply 902/25/2013

Oh, I know, R9. That exclusion would really have been a snub. I kind of laughed when his name came up, given how the show was progressing.

Were the exclusions deliberate or just a matter of carelessness and poor oversight?

by Anonymousreply 1002/25/2013

They should have ended with Andy Griffith and had Elliot Gould whistle the old TV show theme song.

by Anonymousreply 1102/25/2013

Andy Griffith was not nominated for A Face In The Crowd.

If they ignored Larry Hagman and Andy Griffith, they shouldn't have included Jack Klugman either.

I'm still not over Dorothy MacGuire.

by Anonymousreply 1202/25/2013

Hagman was really good in Primary Colors. Shame they forgot or ignored him.

by Anonymousreply 1302/25/2013

Sylvia Kristel ! How could they remember some sound guy from RoboCop and not Emanuelle !

by Anonymousreply 1402/25/2013

What r8 said.

Geez, haven't they discovered computers at the AMPAS? How hard is it to put one person on keeping an updated list of deceased actors and technicians and then clicking on it when preparing the show?

Were they cut to make time for Streisand's Hamlisch tribute?

Not that he didn't deserve recognition , but even Elizabeth Taylor didn't get that treatment.

by Anonymousreply 1502/25/2013

Sherman Hemsley and Conrad Bain did leave quite a body of film work behind.

by Anonymousreply 1602/25/2013

So it sounds from the article like the omissions were intentional. That's just bad. Inexcusable, really.

by Anonymousreply 1702/25/2013

Take it to the Emmys....these people were not film stars!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1802/25/2013

When Ben Affleck dies they will snub him too.

by Anonymousreply 1902/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 2002/25/2013

Granted, I don't know who Ann Rutherford is, but if she were the last living actor from "Gone With The Wind" (one of the greatest movies ever), and she died this past year, then goddammit, include her "In Memoriam."

Hey Academy, get it right and stop fuckiing up all the time.

by Anonymousreply 2102/25/2013

Oh please! They need to spend time singing songs about how we've seen actresses boobs. I mean really -- what's more important? Honoring someone who appeared in a movie like A Face in the Crowd, or boob jokes?

Badly produced musical numbers need to be showcased. Not homages to people who were cultural touchstones, like Larry Hagman and Davy Jones.

by Anonymousreply 2202/25/2013

[quote] Take it to the Emmys....these people were not film stars!!!!

Except that they were film stars. Remember Hagman in The Group and Primary Colirs? Griffith in A Face in the Crowd, Davy Jones in Head.

by Anonymousreply 2302/25/2013

A few films does not a film star make....

by Anonymousreply 2402/25/2013

GWTW's Olivia de Havilland is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 2502/25/2013

R24. A true film star never would have worn that get-up to the Oscars.

By the way, someone should be looking into Jenny Craig.

by Anonymousreply 2602/25/2013

Joan Fontaine can use a computer but my 52 year old mom can't.

by Anonymousreply 2702/25/2013

I'm sorry but Ann Rutherford's biggest claim to fame is that she outlived a great deal of the rest of the GWTW cast and was trotted out every year with Evelyn Keyes to chat about it. If she had died in 1974 no one would have known her name. She had a very small part in an iconic film and it was not necessary to include her.

Hagman and Griffith were primarily TV actors. Everyone who ever does a movie does not need to be honored upon passing by the movie industry.

They should however make sure that every Oscar winner is mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 2802/25/2013

R28. They omitted previous movie director Mel Stuart and Oscar nominees Joyce Redman and Susan Tyrrell. That was wrong of the Academy not to include them.

by Anonymousreply 2902/25/2013

The GWTW lady, Hagman and Griffith should have been in the lineup.

For me the Gore Vidal omission was the worst, he was always a favorite of mine.

by Anonymousreply 3002/26/2013

[quote]Ray Bradbury of star trek

Uh, no, R3. You're kind of stupid, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 3102/26/2013

Griffith deserved to be there on the strength of A Face in the Crowd alone. Shameful.

by Anonymousreply 3202/26/2013

Because we needed more Catherine Zeta and less bring-out-yer-dead-a.

by Anonymousreply 3302/26/2013

When did Dorothy Maguire die? I just saw her in Piggly Wiggly on Thursday.

by Anonymousreply 3402/26/2013

"Griffith deserved to be there on the strength of A Face in the Crowd alone. Shameful."

Totally agree, R32. He was an underrated dramatic actor whose dramatic work was obscured by his Mayberry stuff.

Larry Hagman I'm not so sure about. He was primarily a television actor although he was Mary Martin's son. Perhaps he would be more appropriately remembered at the Tonys, embalmed among the other walking cosmetic surgery zombie victims of the theater.

by Anonymousreply 3502/26/2013

Dorothy McGuire (I spelled it wrong before) died in Sept 13, 2001.

She was nominated for an Oscar for Gentlemen's Agreement. If she had done nothing but A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, she should have been included in the memorium.

She also starred in The Enchanted Cottage, A Summer Place, Three Coins in the Fountain, Friendly Persuasion, Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, The Greatest Story Ever Told, and The Dark at the Top of the Stairs.

Like I said, I'm still not over it.

by Anonymousreply 3602/26/2013

R36. I'm with you, but I think the Academy must give the 'In Memoriam' assignment each year to the 22 year-old intern who has no idea who Andy Griffith is let aloe Dorothy McGuire.

And then the Academy never apologizes or offers any explanation for its glaring omissions. WTF is up with this shoddy effort on an important moment in the show?

by Anonymousreply 3702/26/2013

I can't believe Sylvia Kristel is dead! She still looked pretty good in the French TV series of Emmanuelle.

by Anonymousreply 3802/26/2013

r37 - The worst part was that they included Aaliyah in the memoriam that year.

She made two movies.

by Anonymousreply 3902/26/2013

I can't WAIT for the day they memorialize Miss Janet Jackson if you're nasty douche bag.

by Anonymousreply 4002/26/2013

[quote]He was an underrated dramatic actor whose dramatic work was obscured by his Mayberry stuff.

Andy Griffith's first stage role was far from that homespun NC accent. He starred as Sir Walter Raleigh in "The Lost Colony."

by Anonymousreply 4102/26/2013

The Academy always disclaims that they can't fit everybody into the montage because of time constraints.

For the past few years, they have posted a longer, fuller slide show on their website that gets just about everybody who died, including (for this year) all the ones named above in this thread who were missed.

Here is this year's FULL "In Memoriam" slide show:

by Anonymousreply 4202/26/2013

Vidal is the worst. Not only was he a screenwriter and acted in a few movies, but he was a huge champion of Hollywood with great knowledge of movies.

by Anonymousreply 4302/26/2013

[quote]The Academy always disclaims that they can't fit everybody into the montage because of time constraints.

Oh, so it would have taken maybe an extra 10 seconds to include Andy Griffith, Phyllis Diller and Gore Vidal? Those damn pesky time constraints.

by Anonymousreply 4402/26/2013

Maybe they ought to get someone from TCM to give them a comprehensive list.

by Anonymousreply 4502/26/2013

They had to leave room for Bubby Streisand (wearing her old living room curtains) to sing two choruses of that verkoktah song....

by Anonymousreply 4602/26/2013

r36 2002 was a bad year for "In Memoriam"; in addition to Dorothy McGuire, they also snubbed Troy Donahue and Peggy Lee (yet Aaliyah, with her one role, was mentioned). At the time, talk was that ABC intentionally snubbed Lee because she had the audacity to sue Disney (ABC's parent company).

And just to echo what many have said: if Andy Griffith ONLY did "A Face In The Crowd", that should be enough to be included in the tribute. That one one of the greatest performances ever put on film.

by Anonymousreply 4702/26/2013

The Spiral Staircase is my favorite Dorothy McGuire movie.

by Anonymousreply 4802/26/2013

I don't watch the Oscars anymore and I didn't watch this year's Oscars of course. It use to piss me off when the memoriam of the show would come on, and the audience would cheer and clap for those people who died who did films near that present time. But if it were someone who was big let say in the 40s, there would be total silence. Those Hollyloser scatterbrains would yawn and get bored! I think ALL peers in your profession should receive an applause regardless if you know who the person was or not as a sign of respect. Again, these are your fellow colleges past and present who have died!

On the other hand, what do you expect from this crowd who think Jim Carey showing his butt hole is hilarious and a comedy genius. It is sad the level we have come to.

R21, I couldn’t agree with you more! I love old films immensely, and GTW was and is, a major art in film, and that was extremely low for them to snub Ann Rutherford! Yes, she was the last of the cast of GTW. I think probably Ann Rutherford was snubbed because she was part of a cast in a film that these PC police probably bitch about like Whoopie loser, moaner, pain in the ass, Goldberg!

by Anonymousreply 4902/26/2013

Where did Jim Carey show his butthole? I haven't rented that one yet.

by Anonymousreply 5002/26/2013

"The people who were mentioned were behind the scenes old farts."

Wow, you are a moron, you must realize it takes MANY people to work on film than just a director, the script writers, the producers and the cast don't you?

No one can be that ignorant. It's amazing how clueless the general; public is re what it takes to get films and a TV shows done.

There are set decorators, location scouts, stylists, well basically a host of MANY people who are needed to work on films. GET A CLUE moron.

by Anonymousreply 5202/26/2013

Hagman was in Superman!

by Anonymousreply 5302/26/2013

R50, My cousin saw his movie which the genius comic bends over trying to show the cavity of his butt hole. She said that was his routine in the film that was suppose to be funny, why? beats me?! He wasn't naked I don't think? He was a presenter one year at the Oscars, and he bent over trying to showing his butt to the audience. What a unique gifted classy talent! unbelievable!

by Anonymousreply 5402/26/2013

Ann Rutherford was in tons of movies, including the iconic Andy Hardy series.

They also forgot Tony Martin, one of the last 1930s movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 5502/26/2013

Ann Rutherford also played Andy's girlfriend Polly in all of the hugely popular Andy Hardy films throughout the 1940s.

If she'd died in the 1950s, of course, she would have been included in the memoriam.

Sadly, too much time has passed.

by Anonymousreply 5602/26/2013

I hope they mentioned Charles Durning

by Anonymousreply 5702/26/2013

While it's always better to be looked over than overlooked - even with an insufficiently left-profile picture - one expects little else, as these United States of Amnesia further lose their grip.

I wrote movies for money, gossip, and real estate. Pro bono publico, not to mention republico, I wrote essays.

Those as yet unhaunted by the shade of Dr Alzheimer might note my appearance - my resurrection? - in the fiftieth anniversary reprint of The New York Review of Books, edition one.

Among distinguished peers, my work concludes the issue. Though denied a split second appearance to baffled silence at 'The Academy' - irony duly noted - this last word is no small consolation.

by Anonymousreply 5802/26/2013

I hope this is the end of those ridiculous producers. They would have had plenty of time to include these major stars who did fantastic and still-relevant work if they hadn't subjected us to their masterbatory worship of the 10-year-old film Chicago and its embalmed stars. Save their tributes for when they're dead...

by Anonymousreply 5902/26/2013

I had always heard that Griffen was a pretty nice guy, not a cunt. He may have been a bit controlling but I doubt if he was a major cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6002/26/2013

Sherman Hemsley did not appear in any movies I don't think. People sometimes forget that if you were strictly a TV performer you don't make the Academy In Memorium. Jack Klugman did do movies I believe. It is more astonishing that Anne Rutherford was overlooked and Phyllis Diller who appeared in several Bob Hope films.

by Anonymousreply 6102/26/2013

Love you, Gore / R58.

by Anonymousreply 6202/26/2013

Okay gays -- here is some literature.

It's not about films, but it is about, among other things, medicine, fleas, France, fame, and bullying.

Mostly it is about fame, and how it really works.

by Anonymousreply 6302/26/2013

Gore Vidal and Andy Griffith are the most egregious omissions in recent memory but in previous years they have omitted Harry Morgan, Henry Gibson, Mary Wickes, Kathleen Freeman, Peggy Cass (an Oscar nominee), Corey Haim, Brad Renfro, Charles Lane, Beverly Garland and Yvonne DeCarlo. All of those people are better known than the likes of Charles C. Washburn or Mike Kohut, who were included this year. The Oscars will never be able to match the class of the TCM memorials but why can't they at least do what the Grammys did this year -- have three or more images at a time so they can gently squeeze more people in?

by Anonymousreply 6402/26/2013

The producers were too busy arranging the tribute to their own movie Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 6502/26/2013

"The only other surviving member of "GWTW" now is dear 96 year old Livvie D."

Also still alive are Alicia Rhett (India Wilkes), Mickey Kuhn (Beau Wilkes), and Mary Anderson (the non-speaking role of Maybelle Merriwether).

I definitely agree that Rutherford should have been included.

by Anonymousreply 6602/26/2013

"... and the audience would cheer and clap for those people who died who did films near that present time"

I agree the applause should be squelched- just some poignant music as they go into commercial or whatever. It's insulting to the dead.

The producers need to realize it's not just about Oscar winners who have 70-year careers behind them. The VIEWERS want to be reminded who in the industry died that year. Sometimes it's a shock. Just do it right, okay?

by Anonymousreply 6702/26/2013

The 1999 awards left out TJ Walsh, one of my favorite character actors. I know they did because I looked forward to seeing his interesting face again during the Memorium segment.

I was shocked when they didn't show him.

by Anonymousreply 6802/26/2013

A number of those left outs mentioned were in the TCM Memorial. That has been discussed here before and many didnt like it but still was much better than the Academy one. Don't have link.

by Anonymousreply 6902/26/2013

Della, his name was JT Walsh.

by Anonymousreply 7002/26/2013

The Daytime Emmys have left off an In Memoriam for years; they had one last year, but that was the first one in a while.

No tribs to McKinsey, James Mitchell, Jacquie Courtney, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7102/26/2013

They shouldn't do it at all. It just pisses people off.

by Anonymousreply 7202/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!