Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone think Spielberg is pissed?

Ben got alot of sympathy awards that I'm convinced, if he had been nominated for best director he would have not recieved. I wonder if the backlash from Ben's supposed snub effected Spielberg's chances.

by Anonymousreply 1502/26/2013

Reminds me of what Marlon Brando said about Hollywood awards shows being very Jewish-influenced, a penchant for self-congratulation.

Spielberg definitely lives the Statuettes Circuit. No way is he going to do some low-budget, offbeat 'personal' film.

by Anonymousreply 102/26/2013

I'm still confused about the Afflack snub -- was it because William Goldman really wrote Good Will Hunting?

by Anonymousreply 202/26/2013

Here. I won't be needing these any more.

by Anonymousreply 302/26/2013

Honestly, as good as Argo was, Lincoln deserved the win.

by Anonymousreply 402/26/2013

Too bad Daphne Zuniga wasn't there to comfort him.

by Anonymousreply 502/26/2013

I loved Lincoln. I thought it was brilliantly executed too. It was almost perfect. But it wasn't what a lot of people expected as far as mass audiences go.

This wasn't the life & times of Honest Abe. This film focused on a very specific period in his life, and on one very imnportant issue, and used these to draw a fully realized impression of Lincoln as a man; husband, father, leader, politician.

They used actual words spoken or written from those times, and weaved them into the narrative and the dialogue. I think there was an expectation on Speilberg's part, and on the part of Kushner, etc., that people who saw the movie would have a knowledge base about Lincoln that reached beyond the superficial popular knowledge of him.

If you had no idea about Mary Todd Lincoln's backstory, you'd have to stretch to get all the inferences. The son played by Joseph Gordon Levitt had her committed to a mental hospital after Lincoln was assassinated. She eventually was released, but he sent her away for years. I'm not surprised it didn't win. I do think Speilberg felt bad to not get the Best Director nod.

by Anonymousreply 602/26/2013

I don't know, but I'm delighted.

by Anonymousreply 702/26/2013

Yeah...wasn't this just another film of Jewish people all over the black thing?

by Anonymousreply 802/26/2013

Affleck was snubbed because the director's branch doesn't want actors borking in on their turf anymore. Especially bad actors like Affleck. And, let's face it, Argo was no Dancing With Wolves.

by Anonymousreply 902/26/2013

Nikki Finke said that Spielberg lost because "Hollywood hates him", why, I don't know.

The Oscars is like politics and a lot of it is just campaigning. Argo and WB probably just ran a better campaign than Lincoln and Disney. As a matter of fact I don't think Disney has ever won a BP Oscar for a non-Miramax film.

The ultimate problem was that with Spielberg & Lincoln it was easier to point out its obvious flaws because it was coming from a "master director", while with Affleck & Argo it was easier to talk up its merits because Ben Affleck is still fairly green.

But IMO the biggest mistake was the basic packaging of the movie. It was sold as a biopic when it's not. It's easy to say, "Oh, another Lincoln movie".

However, if the film had been sold as what is was really about, the abolition of slavery, and had a title like "Abolition" or "Emancipation", the Academy wouldn't have DARED given the Oscar to any other film.

by Anonymousreply 1002/26/2013

Spielberg has multiple Oscars. I'm sure he's somewhat disappointed, but I doubt he is torn up about losing Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 1102/26/2013

Interesting explanation R9. Sean Penn's Into the Wild was also totally snubbed but then he doesn't go out his way to please them, Clooney was the last one?

by Anonymousreply 1202/26/2013

Ben getting nominated would have all but guaranteed an Oscar for Spielberg.

He has a block of voters (Dreamworks, Hollywood Establishment, etc.) who are loyal and will vote for him automatically. Ben's nomination wouldn't have cost him a vote, but Ben's votes would have hurt the other nominees, probably enough to put Spielberg over the top.

by Anonymousreply 1302/26/2013

What's the story again about his glass coffee table?

by Anonymousreply 1402/26/2013

I didn't see any of the nominees, but why is Ang Lee the best Director, but "Life of Pi" isn't the best film? Just too many damn choices?

by Anonymousreply 1502/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!