Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Psychiatrist Wants Blood Work

Okay, so the psychiatrist put me on meds, and now wants blood work done for it. Totally understandable. The doc gives you a slip saying what they want you tested for (the meds in system). Fine, but here's my question: do I have to go to my primary doctor for this, or can I just go to a lab and get it done? I'm sure they'd fax the results to my psychiatrist, who again, is also my/a doctor. My primary medical doctor is horrible. I'm looking for a new one, and I don't want to go through any of this with them. I know they send out for blood work. They no longer do it in the office.

So, do you think I could just go to a lab with the slip the psychiatrist gave me?

Thanks for any help. I'm sure someone knows.

by IH8Needlesreply 702/25/2013

I've always gone to the lab to have my bloodwork done. You might want to call the lab to check if you can just come in to get your blood draw done there.

by IH8Needlesreply 102/25/2013

Just go to the lab. You don't need to go to your regular doctor, as you've already got your prescription.

by IH8Needlesreply 202/25/2013

No you don't have to go to your primary. Just go to the lab with the slip. I'm assuming that the slip is for a particular lab. At least that's how it's worked for me in the past. Just make sure that your primary physician's name isn't on the slip so the results aren't sent to him/her. Usually, the pre-printed lab slips only have the referring physician's name on them, but just in case you might want to explain this to the psychiatrist.

by IH8Needlesreply 302/25/2013

OP, you don't have to go to your primary, but you should check with your insurance to find out which labs are in their network.

by IH8Needlesreply 402/25/2013

Thanks. My psychiatrist isn't local, so they don't put a particular location on it. I also want to save a few bucks. I'm sure my primary doctor would just looooove to have me come in for a visit and hand me a bill. I also hate being there because I get stuck with a whole bunch of sick people, including their runny-nosed kids. Poor dears, but still.

by IH8Needlesreply 502/25/2013

Good idea, r4!

by IH8Needlesreply 602/25/2013

by IH8Needlesreply 702/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!