Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Oscar Champ Jennifer Lawrence The Backlash is already starting! Flips the bird to reporter!

Jennifer Lawrence had a blunt message for reporters in the press room: buzz off.

The Silver Linings Playbook star was photographed giving the middle finger to one of the reporters in the room before taking questions about her win.

One reporter asked Lawrence what was going through her head when she fell going up the stairs to the stage. "A bad word that I can't say that starts with F," she replied.

One reporter commented that it was unique to have her level of success at such a young age, and asked whether she is worried she may have peaked too soon.

“Well now I am,” she scoffed, throwing her hands up in the air.

by Anonymousreply 11003/03/2013

I actually thought she was hilarious when she said all this at the press conference (you can see it all on a video on gawker's front page). The reporter who asked her if she peaked too soon was obnoxiously rude, and she responded to him with humor--same with the reporter who asked her why she tripped.

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

Backlash? She seems more popular than ever.

If you want to see backlash, check out any article regarding Kristen Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 202/25/2013

The Academy now has buyers' remorse about Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 302/25/2013

The question is: what will be her Catwoman?

by Anonymousreply 402/25/2013

She showed she has some wit and and can roll with the punches (or stupid journo questions) and DL jumps on her?

by Anonymousreply 502/25/2013

If she's in two Hunger Games sequels and another David O. Russel film, her star isn't going down anytime soon. The fact that she is resilient enough to do one Russell film and then commit to another has to say something about her.

by Anonymousreply 602/25/2013

She's actually in two more David O. Russell films, her next film, Serena, co-stars Bradley Cooper and is already in the can, she has the X-Men: First Class franchise as well as The Hunger Games and she's also attached to star in The Glass Castle, Jeanette Walls' biography.

by Anonymousreply 702/25/2013

Agreed r3 and after that picture of her making the gesture, the Academy should seriously consider asking her to return the award. At the very least she should be banned from all future ceremonies.

by Anonymousreply 802/25/2013

I know she is young but somone should have told her that acting like a twelve year old isn't very appealing

by Anonymousreply 1002/25/2013

Sore winner.

by Anonymousreply 1102/25/2013

Love Jennifer

by Anonymousreply 1202/25/2013

R6, So whats the bad news about David O. Russell?

by Anonymousreply 1302/25/2013

Google "David O Russell asshole" and read away.

by Anonymousreply 1402/25/2013

R14, Thanks. Always can count on DL.

by Anonymousreply 1502/25/2013

He's been known to be verbally and even physically abusive with people. George Clooney almost got physical with him on the set of Three Kings for abusing extras. He called Lily Tomlin a cunt in front of the entire cast and crew of I Heart the Huckabees. His temper and lack of control are kind of legendary. Maybe he's better now.

He's talked about his bipolar son as an inspiration for SLP, but methinks it's even more personal than that.

by Anonymousreply 1602/25/2013

I thought the photo was photoshopped.

by Anonymousreply 1702/25/2013

I thought she was wonderful in the post-win press conference. But judge for yourself:

by Anonymousreply 1802/25/2013

Oh please, her tripping up the stairs and then her remark about the standing O because they felt sorry for her, shows quick wit and the ability to take herself not so seriously. She further endeared herself to the masses last night.

by Anonymousreply 1902/25/2013

It's funny that the last time her dress ripped at the waist when she went up.

Girl's got issues like Anne's cooter.

by Anonymousreply 2002/25/2013

Backlash? She's huge right now. I don't get it but she is.

by Anonymousreply 2102/25/2013

People were foolish to make Anne out to be the bitch when it's been this one all along. There's a picture of all the winners posing together, and Miss "I beat Meryl" has the phoniest smile plastered on her face.

Way too arrogant for someone who had Weinstein pulling the strings to get her there.

by Anonymousreply 2202/25/2013

I like her more now.

by Anonymousreply 2302/25/2013

I never paid any mind to her but she comes across as a nice enough young lady.

by Anonymousreply 2402/26/2013

Huge, as in Lena Denham huge?

by Anonymousreply 2502/26/2013

Look at how she handles Jack Nicholson:

by Anonymousreply 2602/26/2013

She's ok, but this relentless push to make her an "it girl" is starting to make me not like her. Her performance in SLP was good but nothing great, I could see many difference actresses doing as well or better.

by Anonymousreply 2702/26/2013

I think she's great. Hollywood needs a new female star. Julia Roberts is 45 and Meryl Streep is 63. There are your three generations. Hollywood is always chasing the next big thing.

by Anonymousreply 2902/26/2013

Straight outta freeperland, R28.! Congrats to your excess.

by Anonymousreply 3002/26/2013

I watched the interview with the press corp. She's adorable. I didn't have much of an opinion one way or another, but she seems quick and human and witty. I like her more now!

by Anonymousreply 3102/26/2013

I don't dislike her and think she's talented and with some very good quality work on her resume for someone that young. But, as R27 said, there has been relentless push to propel her to superstardom. That role was solid but nothing more than that. If anything, she was far more memorable in Winter's Bone.

by Anonymousreply 3202/26/2013

R30 Ah yes, the tired old "freeper" remark towards anyone who disagrees with the majority.

by Anonymousreply 3302/26/2013

What an obnoxious little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3402/26/2013

She is awesome. I love her.

by Anonymousreply 3502/26/2013

R34 Finally, someone with some common sense! Yes, she's such a smart-ass bitch and has A LOT of growing up to do.

by Anonymousreply 3602/26/2013

Does anyone else think the fall was pre-planned?

Her image of an "endearingly" quirky and awkward everyday girl seems very manufactured.

I don't like when celebrities constantly play up the "What? Me? Getting awards? Omg, I can't believe it!" flustered/surprised act.

The whole "I'd rather watch Honey Boo Boo than be on the red carpet" thing is getting annoying and seems like a put-on.

Feel free to call me a miserable cynic, jaded, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3702/26/2013

She's fine. She seems talented and much more interesting/fun than many of the younger actresses these days.

Nobody in Hollywood is having buyer's remorse about Jennifer Lawrence. There are some bitches who are pissed off that their choice didn't win last night or they dislike Lawrence for some reason.

Her stock is up today, not down.

by Anonymousreply 3802/26/2013

Good grief. At least she is having fun and does not seem tortured like KStew. Oscar is like high school. Meryl was homecoming queen last year and Jennifer was this year. Ben was prom king. George is class president. Next year someone else will take their places.

by Anonymousreply 3902/26/2013

That fall was hysterical. Anne would have cried. Jennifer is your new Elizabeth Taylor. Decades of divorce and heartache to come.

by Anonymousreply 4002/26/2013

"She's ok, but this relentless push to make her an "it girl" is starting to make me not like her."

Two Oscar noms and one win at her age, in addition to being in two major franchises? They don't have to "make" her an "it girl." She IS the it girl.

by Anonymousreply 4102/26/2013

LOL at Jens PR in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4202/26/2013

I have enjoyed some of her movies but didn't care one way or the other about her. Now that I've seen that video of her talking to the press, and then the one where she meets Jack Nicholson, I LOVE her. She seems funny, light-hearted, friendly and well-adjusted. Hopefully, she will turn out to be all of those qualities. It's about time Hollywood put forth some sane, respectable stars. You know, someone who maybe will be a good role model and won't be a damn drug addict whore.

by Anonymousreply 4302/26/2013

The fall probably came from a combination of nerves and a couple drinks.

by Anonymousreply 4402/26/2013

She's gone back to dark hair.

by Anonymousreply 4502/26/2013

Some of you guys will complain about anyone. I think she's pretty cool. She is what Kristen Stewart tries to be and fails so badly.

You're witnessing a young rising star who isn't jaded by life or Hollywood yet. No pretense. No ego-centrism. Enjoy it. It doesn't last long. Not in Hollywood. Not in any profession. It's also nice to see a young ingenue achieve fame and it doesn't seem to faze her... yet.

by Anonymousreply 4602/26/2013

She's beyond what Stew tries to be,

by Anonymousreply 4702/26/2013

But just wait til Hollywood gets its claws into her. They can't leave well enough alone they'll squeeze every bit of life out of her they can get and when through will toss her.

What I can't believe is that she signed up for the new David Russell pic, where not only will she be co-starring with men nearly twice her age but she'll be playing a nearly FIFTY year old woman. Thats well over twice her age. Its as if Hollywood is so into the flavor of the month (or week) they can't find age-appropriate women to cast for big roles.

by Anonymousreply 4802/26/2013

Elle est conne.

by Anonymousreply 4902/26/2013

R37, I thought the fall up the steps was pre-planned.

by Anonymousreply 5002/26/2013

Love this thread; love Jennifer Lawrence; also love reading a variety of opinions: DL at its best! But guys: as a woman (hag) myself, who is very clumsy: I would pleasantly disagree that that fall was pre-planned. Think there are other ways to get PR! She was probably mortified; I would have been, and I have NEVER been in anything like that dress - a dress that big, high shoes, steps - and yes, very likely a bit of booze, plus nerves: recipe for disaster! I'm frankly surprised more women don't trip and fall in such circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 5102/26/2013

What a bitch. If she's going to behave in such an undignified manner she won't last long.

by Anonymousreply 5202/26/2013

I love her and love that she doesn't take any crap.

I also thinks she's extremely talented. And I say this as someone who thinks Riva deserved the oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5302/26/2013

Yep, Riva deserved the Oscar, and even Watts would've been my next choice before Lawrence, but I have absolutely fallen in love with her in the past 48 hours. Her grounded naivte -- I can't think of another way to describe it -- is absolutely beguiling. Her interaction with the reporters and her response to Nicholson were absolutely joyful to watch.

She's one of the rare ones that is truly deserving of her "it girl" status.

by Anonymousreply 5402/26/2013

She's a nasty bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5502/26/2013

As for her fall, did you see the shoes she was wearing? I'm shocked she wasn't tripping all night long.

by Anonymousreply 5602/26/2013

Actually I tripped the cunt.

Thank you for not noticing.

by Anonymousreply 5702/26/2013

Spare us OP. I saw the press conference and she was charming.

by Anonymousreply 5802/26/2013

Who peed in your coffee OP? I saw the interview and it was playful and funny. She knows how to handle herself and she is very down to earth. She seemed more startled about the question of peaking too soon, which was moronic and insulting to begin with. Her answer was perfect. She is actually a very bright and talented young woman who is going to be a big star.

by Anonymousreply 5902/26/2013

[quote]Plus, this bitch has made a few homophobic remarks

Link, please.

by Anonymousreply 6002/26/2013

She should never have been nominated in the first place, let alone won.

by Anonymousreply 6102/26/2013

She flipped the photographer the bird after he said to her "Don't trip!" and she was laughing. Then, realized a hunderd photographers were snapping her picture at that moment. I think a lot of her appeal is that she still comes across as a regular girl. I think it was a Vanity Fair profile where she showed up on her own, no publicist, driver or bodyguard, to have lunch with the reporter. She said what she does and how much she is paid is so stupid, but that she loves it and knows how lucky she is to be able to do it.

by Anonymousreply 6202/26/2013

Now I *really* like her.

by Anonymousreply 6302/26/2013

I love her. She has a real sense of humor about it all - so rare for anyone, young or old, in Hollywood.

[quote]not only will she be co-starring with men nearly twice her age but she'll be playing a nearly FIFTY year old woman. Thats well over twice her age. Its as if Hollywood is so into the flavor of the month (or week) they can't find age-appropriate women to cast for big roles.

That's so ridiculous it sounds like a parody of Hollywood's issue with "older" women. It's not that they can't cast them, it's that they won't. Her role in SLP was also written for an older woman (a 30-something who is a couple of years older than Bradley Cooper's character) - so of course they cast a 21-year-old instead. I wonder if they ever even considered casting a woman in her 30s for that role.

by Anonymousreply 6402/26/2013

I thought Lawrence's press conference was hilarious. I love her more now than ever.

by Anonymousreply 6502/26/2013

It is a shame, R64.

by Anonymousreply 6602/26/2013

When she smiles she reminds me a bit of Vivien Leigh when she was all flirty in GWTW. I adore Jennifer;

by Anonymousreply 6702/26/2013

[quote]Does anyone else think the fall was pre-planned?

It was Riva's doing.

by Anonymousreply 6802/26/2013

When does she come out as being Inspector Clouseau's daughter? She sure is a clumsy clutz like him. Next time she'll slip and her face lands in a cake, right?

by Anonymousreply 6902/26/2013

Loved her and I LOVED the whole Jack Nicholson schtick. Imagine Kristen Stewart in that same situation.

by Anonymousreply 7002/26/2013

She's a true star and the star that Hollywood has been needing for a long time. She gets people to the movies when no one else will.

by Anonymousreply 7102/26/2013

I'd love to see her do a period piece.

by Anonymousreply 7202/26/2013

She seems really, really dumb and snotty. Of course, she's getting a free ride because she's very young. She's been described as "charmingly awkward" and "refreshingly honest" and crap like that. But she's just another dim bulb starlet who does stupid things like flip the bird in a room full of cameras. I don't think age is going to improve the situation.

She didn't deserve the Oscar. Emmanuel Riva did. Another Oscar fuck-up.

by Anonymousreply 7302/26/2013

I find her schtik a little annoying.

At first it was kinda cool, now she is going overboard with it.

by Anonymousreply 7402/26/2013

I'm waiting for her to do a movie with Meryl -perhaps as her mother? - Meryl will put her in her place.

by Anonymousreply 7502/26/2013

r72, a period piece would be interesting, depending on the setting and era. I have a hard time seeing her playing an upper class gilded age debutante, for example. However, I think she'd be fantastic in a 30s/40s set romance, as the girl from the other side of the tracks, or a more direct Jean Arthur-esque city girl.

by Anonymousreply 7602/26/2013

R76 Depression era farm widow.

by Anonymousreply 7702/26/2013

Jennifer Lawrence has a period piece coming out shortly.

[quote]The film follows newlyweds George (Cooper) and Serena Pemberton (Lawrence) who travel from Boston to the mountains of North Carolina where they begin to build a timber empire in 1929. Serena soon shows herself to be the equal of any man: overseeing crews, hunting rattle-snakes, even saving a man’s life in the wilderness. Together, this king and queen rule their dominion, killing or vanquishing all who stand in the way of their ambitions. But when Serena learns that she can never bear a child, she sets out to murder the woman who bore George a son before his marriage. And when she starts to suspect that George is protecting his illegitimate family, the Pembertons’ intense, passionate marriage begins to unravel as the story moves toward its shocking reckoning.

by Anonymousreply 7802/26/2013

Okay, I actually want to see that movie now, R78. I'm not sure why.

by Anonymousreply 7902/26/2013

Me, too, r79. It sounds like a darker Edna Ferber tale.

by Anonymousreply 8002/26/2013

[quote]I'm waiting for her to do a movie with Meryl -perhaps as her mother? - Meryl will put her in her place.

Like she did AnnE and Lindsay Lohan?

by Anonymousreply 8102/27/2013

Bearding for Bradley Cooper in US. Tired of her already.

by Anonymousreply 8302/28/2013

I want to see that movie R78

by Anonymousreply 8403/01/2013

JLawrence has the face and cheeks of an old lady alcoholic I once knew

by Anonymousreply 8503/01/2013

[quote]JLawrence has the face and cheeks of an old lady alcoholic I once knew

Really?!? Is she going to give them back?

by Anonymousreply 8603/02/2013

And now they are auctioning off her bra.

by Anonymousreply 8703/02/2013

Me too R84.

by Anonymousreply 8803/02/2013

[quote]She seems funny, light-hearted, friendly and well-adjusted.

[quote]Her grounded naivte -- I can't think of another way to describe it -- is absolutely beguiling.

How long before she changes? They so often seem to.

by Anonymousreply 8903/02/2013

I need receipts for her age. Bitch looks a steady 32. 22 my ass. I like her though. She seems very quick-witted and not as humorless as most Hollywood stars.

by Anonymousreply 9003/02/2013

Did she and Meryl converse backstage? There had to have had the opportunity at some point.

by Anonymousreply 9103/02/2013

She looks a little older than 22, but not 32.

by Anonymousreply 9203/02/2013

Meryl hugged Anne. Not sure if she knows who Jennifer is.

by Anonymousreply 9303/02/2013

I told Jennifer she was lovely and I think she will be the next Penelope Milford.

by Anonymousreply 9403/02/2013

EW has a lovely story about Jennifer eating doughnuts after her win....She's thin now but give it a week or two.....

by Anonymousreply 9503/02/2013

Jennifer reminds me a little of Scar Jo, more so than Stewart or AnnE.

by Anonymousreply 9603/02/2013

Fuck nasty reporters who ask rude questions.

They're jealous of people like Lawrence who go and pursue their own dreams.

by Anonymousreply 9703/02/2013

R75, Meryl could play her grandmother but not the mother.

by Anonymousreply 9803/02/2013

Meryl is 41 years older than her....women still have children at 41.

by Anonymousreply 9903/02/2013

At this moment, it's kind of hard to hate Jennifer Lawrence. She's so adorable. Her reaction to Jack Nicholson's surprise appearance showed her lack of pretense. She's a star who was star-struck.

by Anonymousreply 10003/02/2013

Kathleen Turner could play Jennifer's mother.

by Anonymousreply 10103/03/2013

I LOVE this chick.

by Anonymousreply 10203/03/2013

I'm FASCINATED by small, shiny objects.

by Anonymousreply 10303/03/2013

[quote]I'm FASCINATED by small, shiny objects.

Well sprinkle some glitter on your cock and have a go.

by Anonymousreply 10403/03/2013

She looks way older than 22, about 30.

But her actingng is arright, and I usually don't even watching these same ole boring white girls and their movies, yet I seem to enjoy hers.

And anyone who is a friend of wine and weed is alright in my books

by Anonymousreply 10503/03/2013

Has anyone seen The Poker House? She kicks ass in that movie. It's also got Chloe Moretz and Selma Blair. She gets raped by Bokeem Woodbine.

by Anonymousreply 10603/03/2013

She looks her age to me.

by Anonymousreply 10703/03/2013

Thanks for the tip R106

by Anonymousreply 10803/03/2013

OSCAR-WINNING actress Jennifer Lawrence starred in her own real-life fairytale to make a dream come true for her best friend.

Years before the 22-year-old Hunger Games star found fame in Hollywood, she nominated neighbour Andy Strunk – who has Down’s Syndrome – in a contest to find the most popular boy in school.

At first, Andy’s parents were worried the other kids at Kammerer Middle School in Louisville, Kentucky, might make fun of him. And his mother, Pollyanna, even took Jennifer aside to tell her about their concern.

But Jennifer, then 14, convinced them they had nothing to worry about. As the most popular girl in school, she planned to lead the campaign for Andy herself.

In a happy ending worthy of a Hollywood script, the special needs youngster – whose educational level remains that of a seven-year-old – won the contest hands down and was voted Mr Kammerer.

Jennifer’s support – she won the title of Most Chatty – cemented the close friendship between the movie beauty and the pal who describes himself as her No1 fan.

Even after she rocketed to fame – first in 2010’s Winter’s Bone, for which she received a Best Actress Academy Awards nomination, and then the box-office hits The Hunger Games and Silver Linings Playbook – Jennifer has stayed in touch with Andy.

In turn, he collects every photo and article he can find about the star and has turned his bedroom into a shrine to her whirlwind career.

In her Oscar-worthy performance opposite Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook, Jennifer plays a widow battling mental health problems.

Her character, Tiffany, turns to sex to deal with her demons but finds love against the odds with a neurotic former psychiatric hospital patient.

But Jennifer has never had to worry about Andy’s happiness.

“He has the kindest heart of anyone I’ve ever met and is one of the funniest people I’ve ever been around,” she said before last Sunday’s triumphant awards ceremony in Los Angeles.

Andy’s mum Pollyanna, a 58-year-old nurse, said: “Jennifer is a very kind spirit. There aren’t many people who are movie stars who would spend time with a special needs kid.

“She last saw him on Christmas Day. She came over to give him his Christmas hug and he was over the moon all day. When she’s in town, she just walks down the street and knocks on the door to come and see Andy.”

The proud mum said Jennifer’s campaign to get her classmates to vote for Andy in the school popularity poll was a big turning point in his life.

“She made the nomination for Andy to be Mr Kammerer,” added Pollyanna. “It was the most popular position for a child to be in at that age.

“I was concerned about it because I was worried people would make fun of him but I talked to Jennifer and agreed to let her do it.

“She did place the nomination – and he won. That was really what started the friendship between them and they are still in touch. He loved being showered with all that attention.

“They’ve spent time together over the years. Jennifer’s parents have a pool and Andy was invited to go over and use it whenever he wanted. Jennifer would swim with him and enjoyed his company.

“She has always been very respectful of him and always treated him in a very kind way.”

However, Pollyanna said another top American female singer and actress was not so caring – and it left Jennifer furious.

She said: “There is another actress Andy was a big fan of. She was in a show he loved on the Disney Channel and she was doing a concert near us. I got a ticket for Andy and he was really looking forward to going.”

She said Jennifer asked the performer to do something special for her friend.

Pollyanna added: “But they did nothing. Jennifer was upset because she couldn’t understand why another person couldn’t see Andy was special like she does.

“He didn’t expect anything but some people have a kind heart and some don’t.”

Jennifer left the tree-lined Indian Hills neighbourhood in Louisville when she was 14 to try her luck as a child actress in New York. But Andy, now 23, has always remained a precious touchstone to her happy childhood.

by Anonymousreply 10903/03/2013

Pollyanna, who has two other grown-up sons with husband George, 59, a Methodist church pastor, said: “Andy doesn’t change for her and other people do. Other people grow up.

“Other friends she went to middle school with are in college or starting families but Andy still lives here and he’s still here when she comes home.

“She can knock on the door and things stay the same. He’s always happy to see her. He just knows he likes her and she likes him.

“When she left at 14, he believed she was going to be a star. In his mind, he always knew that. I’d take him to a bookshop and he’d stay there for an hour going through magazines looking for anything with her name and picture on.

“He had a tough time the first couple of years after she left finding pictures and anything about Jennifer. He would search like it was a treasure hunt but now it’s much easier. He has a filing cabinet full.”

Jennifer, who is on her friend’s speed dial, also sends Andy mementoes. She signed a film poster for Winter’s Bone with the words, “Andy, Don’t forget me. Love you, Jennifer”.

She can be certain Andy and his family will never forget his loyal friend.

The actress’s mum Karen, who is also close to the Strunk family, said: “Jennifer loves Andy. That’s genuine.”

On Oscar night last Sunday, Andy dressed up in a tux to watch the ceremony. When Jennifer took the stage, after a slight stumble, to collect her award, Andy jumped up and down and pumped his fists.

“Oh my God! That’s my girl, she did it. She got it. I love you, Jennifer.” he shouted. “She’s the greatest girl in the world.”

by Anonymousreply 11003/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.