Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why don't they say, "And the winner is..." anymore?

Are they afwaid someone might get their widdo feewings hoot?

by Anonymousreply 1202/26/2013

That was changed eons ago. Obviously they are all winners to be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

It was changed by moi, actually.

by Anonymousreply 202/25/2013

R2 speaks the truth. He's responsible for two travesties:

Adding to the misery, The Walt Disney Company sued for illegal use of Snow White's image. Carr's reputation in Hollywood never fully recovered, although his decision to change the award announcement from "And the winner is..." to "And the Oscar goes to..." has become the norm, not just for the Oscars, but for awards shows in general. Carr also first hired comedian Bruce Vilanch as head comedy writer of the show, a job Vilanch still holds.

by Anonymousreply 302/25/2013

I want them to start announcing the winners by first announcing the losers. "And the first loser is...and the second loser is..." what a suspense builder!

by Anonymousreply 502/26/2013

While they dump buckets of feces on the losers, R5. "Loser 1...Glenn Close...PLOP"..."Loser 2...Annette Bening...SPLAT"

by Anonymousreply 602/26/2013

Please tell me OP did not type a word in baby talk. I'm truly embarrassed for him.

by Anonymousreply 702/26/2013

I believe the first year they started saying "And the Oscar goes to..." was 1989. However, at the 2010 Oscars they did do "And the winner is..."

Here's Mo'Nique's winning clip to give you an example:

by Anonymousreply 802/26/2013

We are all winners. We are all sinners. We should not wallow in our sorrow but rather hope for a better tomorrow. An award does not make me, your words do not break me. Have the audacity to hope and the gall to dream. Be a beacon of light for all humanity. Dream for your sake, dream for your sanity I dreamed a dream, I did it for Fantine.

by Anonymousreply 902/26/2013

The "winner" does not actually do anything to win, its not like a race or a competition. The winner is just the chosen one for that year, for whatever business reason. To call him/her the winner makes the others look like losers, which of course they are, but its not so obvious.

by Anonymousreply 1002/26/2013

When the First Lady tells the world you've directed the best film of the year, the words used don't really matter. And I say that as a writer.

What matters is the gold statue that validates me as a human being and creative artist after some tough times.

Not everyone can win an Oscar (and a Bafta) like me, but everyone can at least learn from my story, and maybe gain just a little strength to go on. There's a moral there for America.

by Anonymousreply 1102/26/2013

"And the award goes to" is more politically correct.

by Anonymousreply 1202/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.