Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer Demands Telecommuters Report To The Office

Marissa Mayer, the relatively new CEO of Yahoo, has decided she wants her employees showing up to the offices beginning in June, not just telecommuting from home all the time, according to All Things D’s Kara Swisher. From an internal memo:

“To become the absolute best place to work, communication and collaboration will be important, so we need to be working side-by-side. That is why it is critical that we are all present in our offices. Some of the best decisions and insights come from hallway and cafeteria discussions, meeting new people, and impromptu team meetings. Speed and quality are often sacrificed when we work from home.”

Swisher also reports, perhaps unsurprisingly, “strong” anger among those affected by the policy, many of whom joined the company in part because of the flexibility that Yahoo previously provided. But don’t just assume that telecommuting, or working remotely, or whatever you want to call it, comes from a place of laziness. A number of studies have proven quite the opposite:

- A Stanford study, conveniently released on the same day as Yahoo’s memo, reported that call center employees increased their performance by 13 percent when working from home. They also reported “improved work satisfaction and experienced less turnover,” according to the study.

- A University of Texas at Austin study from late last year found that those people who work from home “add five to seven hours to their workweek compared with those who work exclusively at the office.” Such workhorses, we homeworkers are!

- A Bureau of Labor Statistics study, also from last year, reported that working remotely “seems to boost productivity, decrease absenteeism” -- that means missing work -- “and increase retention.” It also gives employers more incentive to ask you to work on weekends, the authors say. Boo!!

- According to some recent research published in the MIT Sloan Management Review, bosses are roughly 9 percent more likely to consider you “dependable” and “reponsible” if you “put in expected face time” Translation: Being at the office can help you get that raise you so desire.

All in all, it appears working from home is a bit of mixed bag for employee and employer alike. On the one hand, enhanced productivity, more work satisfaction, less turnover -- all good things! On the other, longer hours, more weekend obligations, less chance of impressing the boss -- not so good! Looks like Yahoo just took a big chance.

by What a douchebagreply 11402/28/2013

I think working from home is the wave of the future. Just think of how money could be saved by no overhead like office rent, furniture, etc.

What she's basically saying is "I don't trust you and I think you need to be babysat and monitored". If you want meetings you can have a video conference.

by What a douchebagreply 202/25/2013

Based on their recent redesign of the Yahoo website, I'd say this is probably a smart move. My grandmother could have done a better job.

by What a douchebagreply 302/25/2013

She's trying to shed jobs.

by What a douchebagreply 402/25/2013

[quote]absenteeism -- that means missing work

Is the original audience for this article so stupid they needed to be told what absenteeism means?

by What a douchebagreply 602/25/2013

R4 nailed it. She is trying to push people out of the org. It is MUCH cheaper to have people quit than execute a layoff where you are going to pay packages, etc.

This always backfires. You lose the people that you wanted to keep (they can find other jobs) and you are left with the donkeys.

by What a douchebagreply 802/25/2013

Wasn't she about six months pregnant when she was hired? Don't tell me she's not working from home half of the week.

by What a douchebagreply 902/25/2013

R4 and R8 are correct. The more controls and "metrics" she introduces, the more opportunity for leveling a big across the board blow.

See link:

[quote] Yahoo CEO Mayer Cuts End-of-Year “Week of Rest” for Employees, While Prepping Plans to Identify Bottom 20 Percent of Staff

Instead of the much harder work of a fundamental examination of how a holdover from an earlier tech bubble can keep its head above water, she aims for some bottom-line magic in eliminating "dead wood" and ushering in new standards and procedures and metrics -- and an easy feather in her cap. Anybody with a financial interest in Yahoo would be stupid to hold out for more than a brief blip of good news in which to jump ship. And Mayer is captain of the salvage operation, ready to jump, cash out, and reinvent herself yet again while Yahoo wrecks and loses what little real treasure it has left.

by What a douchebagreply 1002/25/2013

[quote]Wasn't she about six months pregnant when she was hired? Don't tell me she's not working from home half of the week.

Hardly. She only took a two-week maternity leave, infuriating the working-mommy crowd:

[quote]This past Monday morning, Mayer gave birth to a baby boy. Soon afterward, a Yahoo spokesperson confirmed that Mayer will be working remotely and will return to the office “as soon as possible, likely in 1-2 weeks”—and outrage ensued. In an article on Slate, “Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer Is Making a Huge Mistake by Cutting Her Maternity Leave Short,” Allison Benedikt wrote, “Mayer didn’t just have foot surgery. She birthed a tiny human being. A baby who needs stuff.” Benedikt added that “there is a BABY involved” (emphasis hers) and that “you are not just a CEO anymore.”

[quote]Rachel Wilner wrote in the San Jose Mercury News that while “cheering” for Mayer she was also “aching” for her. “I know plenty of accomplished moms,” she wrote. “Not one thought her months-long maternity leave was too lengthy. All were still discombobulated, sleep-deprived and confused—if not clinically depressed—when they went back to work.”

What a great advertisement for working mothers, Rachel Wilner.

by What a douchebagreply 1102/25/2013

What does Yahoo actually do, provide, sell? Except for signing up for a couple of their lame, difficult-to-maneuver groups back in 1999, I've never had anything to do with Yahoo.

by What a douchebagreply 1202/25/2013

All of that corporate-speak for bullshit, R10.

"Metrics"-the biggest scourge to hit the workplace in decades.

by What a douchebagreply 1302/25/2013

I went back to work 2 weeks after mine was born. I had to as I was a contractor and needed money. Some women don't have the luxury of taking months off.

Fuck those fraus. If a new mother thinks she can handle it that's her business.

by What a douchebagreply 1402/25/2013

Remember when all of these companies praised working from home as being better for their employees and helping to reduce pollution by lowering the number of commuters. How things change. I'm sure a lot of tech companies are watching Yahoo! to see what happens.

by What a douchebagreply 1502/25/2013

I just read that she's having a nursery built in her office for her kid. HYPOCRITE!!!

by What a douchebagreply 1602/26/2013

[quote]Wasn't she about six months pregnant when she was hired? Don't tell me she's not working from home half of the week.

Or going to church. Her priorities are now "God, family and Yahoo - in that order."

by What a douchebagreply 1702/26/2013

Sorry, the fraus are right and Mayer is on the wrong side of a long paradigm shift.

Telecommuting is indeed the wave of the future. It cuts down on office space, corporate infrastructure, fuel costs, child-care costs and much larger carbon footprints. It's simply healthier in every way to work form home.

And Mayer is morally wrong to change the contract she had with employees who came to Yahoo for that very benefit.

Whoever said upthread that she's trying to downsize by forcing employees to quit sans packages is spot-on. It will surely backfire, and Mayer will be ultimately left with a reputation as a cut-rate Meg Whitman.

by What a douchebagreply 1802/26/2013

I fuck off much more in the office (now) when I do when I am working at home. I know working at home is a priviledge and I don't want my company to have any reason to take it away, so actually put in more time during the day and am extremely productive.

This is a way for Yahoo to thin the herd. What about the people who have been allowed to work at home for years, and ended up buying a house a hundred miles from San Jose because that's what they can afford? They are expected to do a 200-mile round trip commute each day? Ridiculous. They'll end up taking another postion where they can telecommute.

I know of one Fortune 100 company that has the majority of its employees telecommuting and subleases most of the floors in its flagship HQ office building in NYC. It's much cheaper for the company not to have to provide workspace.

by What a douchebagreply 1902/26/2013

They were goofing off. If workers were doing well, they would've left them be. Trust me, I goof off at work 90% of the day. I watch TV, play games, go on the Internet, read books, raid the food area.

by What a douchebagreply 2002/26/2013

These companies can monitor how much time employees are spending on the computer. They have to log onto the company's servers. I think at this point they can even log keystrokes and stuff. People goof off in the office too and you can't totally stop it.

by What a douchebagreply 2102/26/2013

She's a stupid, clueless woman who scored her job because of both where she worked at the time and, primarily because she has a vagina and they thought her appointment would be a novelty, which it is.

She'll be gone before long and Silicon Valley would have learned their lesson on hiring silly, immature and untested mommies for important jobs.

by What a douchebagreply 2202/26/2013

I could understand if this would only apply for the creative team, but it really feels like an uncessary step for the administrative staff.

by What a douchebagreply 2302/26/2013

A few months back, someone in here wrote about their performance review and how one of his/her "dings" was not telling his/her co-workers enough personal details. The boss intoned, "We want to get to know you."

That intrusive cunty "caring" is all over and mostly thought up by fraus -- not only as a way to get control, but to cull those who fail the Barabbas test.

by What a douchebagreply 2402/26/2013

what kind of work / jobs do some of you have that you can goof off while at work?

i have to work constantly when at work.

by What a douchebagreply 2502/26/2013

[quote]The boss intoned, "We want to get to know you."

Translation: We want something which we can use against you. And we are too cheap to hire a private detective, so you better open up quick.

by What a douchebagreply 2602/26/2013

Where do you work, r25? I sit at a desk all day long and usually spend a third of my day on conference calls (right now). I can listen, take notes, do other work, and surf the web pretty much interchangeably on these calls.

It is ridiculous that she thinks she'll create a more collaborative culture by having people together in the office. Doesn't she know this just means more time wasting potlucks and birthday cakes?

by What a douchebagreply 2702/26/2013

Duh. All in one office can be monitored with cams all over the place and then fired for doing something non-office related if they are expendable.

by What a douchebagreply 2902/26/2013

I actually think forcing people into cube farms is a negative for productivity. A friend of mine just got put in one and hates it because there is no escaping the noise from other co-workers.

by What a douchebagreply 3002/26/2013

Would someone kindly grab the man-hating frau @ R28 by the neck, and shoot her in the head?

by What a douchebagreply 3102/26/2013

Even if someone does that, you're still going to be prayed by your claw-like hands out of the cubicle, r31. It's called progress.

by What a douchebagreply 3202/26/2013

I am a work at home guy for nearly a decade. Once in a while, I will go into the office, but very rare. The company I work for is very large and spread out domestically and internationally. Even if I were to have a permanent seat at the office, I wouldn't likely be in a facing position with the people I work most often with.

Benefits to working at home: Savings in auto wear and tear, gas, tolls, parking, lunch, dry cleaning, wardrobe. I start earlier and work later, so they get more time from me, but admittedly will take a time out during the day to care for something personal if it does not conflict with my immediate responsibility. Being at home means not being reeled into the time consuming long group lunches, and the chatty cathy types that need to drop by all too often. Another perk, I can live 125 miles away where the quality of life is better.

The only drawbacks I find is sometimes cabin fever and ad-hoc access to what else is going on (much different than gossip). Do I ever have excess distraction? Sometimes, but I can also be distracted at the office.

The only way this works is to be set up with a dedicated working space I can separate from my living space, and the tools needed for virtual presence…like instant messenger, and online meeting collaboration.

I'm in IT and it works well in this industry. I may be less practical in other industries. My day consists mostly of conference calls and on-line meetings (like now). I feel it is a privilege and my Labrador Retriever is a much better office companion than any human.

by What a douchebagreply 3302/26/2013

Poor, sad, miserable r34.

by What a douchebagreply 3502/26/2013

The article says most of the people affected are customer service reps. OK,

1) What does a Yahoo customer service rep do? Answer questions about how to do a web search?

2) Isn't that job pretty low-paid and pretty immune to slacking off? Call volume, efficiency, and recording outcomes seem pretty measurable; and supervisors would know who's goofing off.

by What a douchebagreply 3702/26/2013

R34 is the reason I loathe traditional offices.

by What a douchebagreply 3902/26/2013

I did customer service work from home for Triple A and B&N. It's easy to do from home and, yes, they can tell what you are doing. You are logged onto their server and if you miss a call they can tell. If you need a break you are expected to "log off" and be back within 15 minutes. You still have rules to abide by. If you are scheduled for a 2 hour block from 10-12 you are expected to log in a little early in case of any technical problems. They also monitor some calls remotely for quality control and they grade you.

These people saying everyone who works from home are slacking off and not doing their jobs don't understand how it works. You are expected to have a separate work area and no noise from kids or animals.

by What a douchebagreply 4002/26/2013

My experience is much like that of R33.

Rental cost and related in-office expense savings amount to something over $17000 per year per employee, but in my case I would calculate the annual benefit in increased productivity to my firm is greater still. The actual added costs of my working at home are just $600 a year for reimbursed internet expenses; my outlay for phone calls, office supplies, keeping the lights on, etc. is carried by me and is negligible.

I start early, work late, keep regular hours, make it a point to respond to all communications from other staff immediately, and year after year use less than 20% of available sick time. Working from home makes things like laundry and parcel deliveries and having contractors fix things in the house and running the rare errand easy, but seeing to these things is a drop in a bucket compared to the distractions of office work. I regard my situation as a happy and privileged one and hold much more responsibility and regard from my peers than when I had to drag myself into my firm's office daily.

Working from home isn't a good fit for anyone, but it's easy enough to figure out who is well suited and who is not. Doing it on an every day basis against any kind of expectation at all, the people who truly benefit from a watchful eye and hand-holding and exacting, physical scrutiny reveal themselves pretty quickly.

by What a douchebagreply 4102/26/2013

[quote]Barabbas test

by What a douchebagreply 4202/26/2013

She won't last till the end of the year. This is causing a huge controversy in Sil Valley and people are pissed, men & women. She is getting a real shitty reputation & won't be able to shake that once she's bounced.

by What a douchebagreply 4302/26/2013

Hey, higher income guy @ R34, your jealousy is showing and I am guessing you are a power hungry manager who uses intimidation over intelligence & leadership. People who think this is a racket are not likely in an organization where managers effectively engage with their employees, set expectations and keep in touch…or as some call it….Managing.

You are right on one thing…if people don't like it, they can leave. And out the door with the abusers goes some pretty valuable talent. If I worked for Yahoo, would I leave? Probably not right away. I think I would sit still and watch the CEO fail and exit.

by What a douchebagreply 4402/26/2013

I wouldn't leave, I would make them pay for my unemployment.

by What a douchebagreply 4502/26/2013

This is what happens when you watch too many of those evening Diane Sawyer news broadcasts and hire your CEO in a fit of temporary insanity.

Now they're stuck with an immature, ridiculous, buffoonish female.

by What a douchebagreply 4602/26/2013

I'm sick and tired of all these Johnny Lunchpail's and Eddie Punchclock's complaining, just get to work!

by What a douchebagreply 4702/26/2013

This is not about employees slacking off as much as creating energy and creativity in the office. As someone who has done both, I totally agree that with Mayer.

Apple does not have a telecommuter policy and they are probably one of the most successful companies in the country. We need to go back to interacting.

by What a douchebagreply 4802/26/2013

We need to go back to not hiring so many H1-B workers when there are perfectly qualified Americans who can fill those jobs.

Oh wait, I forgot that American workers have ridiculous demands such as health care, being paid an appropriate salary that matches their skill level and experience, and benefits such as reasonable vacation time and sick pay. I mean, can you believe the nerve to ask for such outrageous things?

by What a douchebagreply 4902/26/2013

Apparently she built a nursery in her office.

by What a douchebagreply 5002/26/2013

by What a douchebagreply 5102/26/2013

Marissa Mayer is a blond airheaded idiot who got really fucking lucky. Link goes to a Mayer laugh compilation. She has the most annoying laugh on the planet.

by What a douchebagreply 5202/26/2013

[quote]Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (rtsp) isn't associated with any program.

by What a douchebagreply 5302/26/2013

Yahoo had another senior exec -- Decker? -- who crashed and burned with some silly acronym she made the employees incorporate into their work, and every one bucked.

by What a douchebagreply 5402/26/2013

I hate the new Yahoo homepage design. So messy. Too busy.

by What a douchebagreply 5502/26/2013

I don't get how they can do this.

It's like a pay decrease. I'm sure a lot of people who took this job did so because they were told the could work from home. Some probably don't even have cars. Now they have to pay for gas.

And I'[m sure MANY don't even live in the area - why would they need to?

Is Yahoo! going to pay their cost of moving?

And where is all of this extra office space going to come from? They're going to provide cubicles and chairs and desks and space for this influx of people?

Of course not! The whole intent here is to lose employees the cowardly way and with no blood on your hands. I wish this kind of tacky and cowardly behavior would be called out for what it is.

by What a douchebagreply 5602/26/2013

Okay, "Marissa Mayer" - is that someone JAP-delight? (Jewish American Princess in case I need to explain the acronym to anyone dense enough to think I mean Japanese.)

I have worked with such bitches.

by What a douchebagreply 5702/26/2013

JAPs are okay (attended college with many) but they always shoot themselves down by their own impatience.

If they could conquer that, they would conquer the world.

by What a douchebagreply 5802/26/2013

Was it Charisma Uniqueness Nerve Talent ? [R54]

by What a douchebagreply 5902/26/2013

"Apple does not have a telecommuter policy"

No. We live in rat-infested dorms next door. Is that telecommuting?

by What a douchebagreply 6002/26/2013

Front page of the LA Times:

SAN FRANCISCO — Corporate America's most famous working mother has banned her employees from working at home. Now the backlash is threatening to overshadow the progress she has made turning around Yahoo Inc.

Marissa Mayer, one of only a handful of women leading Fortune 500 companies, has become the talk of Twitter and Silicon Valley for her controversial move to end telecommuting at the struggling Internet pioneer.

From the start, Mayer, who at 37 is one of Silicon Valley's most notorious workaholics, was not the role model that some working moms were hoping for. The former Google Inc. executive stirred up controversy by taking the demanding top job at Yahoo when she was five months pregnant and then taking only two weeks of maternity leave. Mayer built a nursery next to her office at her own expense to be closer to her infant son and work even longer hours.

PHOTOS: 10 tech companies to watch in 2013

Now working moms are in an uproar because they believe that Mayer is setting them back by taking away their flexible working arrangements. Many view telecommuting as the only way time-crunched women can care for young children and advance their careers without the pay, privilege or perks that come with being the chief executive of a Fortune 500 company.

"When a working mother is standing behind this, you know we are a long way from a culture that will honor the thankless sacrifices that women too often make," read one email sent to technology blogger Kara Swisher of AllThingsD, who first wrote about the ban.

Hundreds of staffers — including those who work from home one or two days a week — will have to decide if they want to start showing up every day at the office or be out of a job, according to a memo leaked to Swisher.

by What a douchebagreply 6102/26/2013

She's this year's Meg Whitman.

by What a douchebagreply 6202/26/2013

This DOES suck for families. And it is quite priggish of her to go back to work so soon after delivery. She seems and looks like a self righteous sort. And you know she makes big bucks to hire a nanny for round the clock care...

by What a douchebagreply 6302/26/2013

she sounds like a repulsive idiot

the media always worships such people

by What a douchebagreply 6402/26/2013

Ms. Decker joined Yahoo as its chief financial officer in 2000 following 14 years in equity research for investment bank Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette. At Yahoo, she quickly she won over Wall Street with her sharp mind and focus on cash flow. Over the next few years, she sought and was given more management experience.

In mid-2005, Yahoo's then-CEO Terry Semel handed Ms. Decker responsibility for sealing a sweeping ad-sharing agreement with eBay that would move Yahoo into the business of selling ads on other Web sites, not just its own. Ms. Decker pushed a deal through in intimate meetings with Mr. Semel and eBay's then-CEO Meg Whitman, say people familiar with the negotiations.

In December 2006, Mr. Semel rewarded Ms. Decker by tapping her to run one of Yahoo's two major business units, the advertiser and publisher group. Yahoo's then-chief operating officer Dan Rosensweig resigned in the reshuffling. Employees began whispering that the CEO job was Ms. Decker's to lose.

At the same time, however, Yahoo was facing more challenges. Google Inc. continued to expand its share of the online ad world through search ads, stealing Yahoo's thunder in the market. Yahoo's stock price sank. In June 2007, Mr. Semel resigned and Mr. Yang took over the CEO job. Ms. Decker was appointed president.

In her new role, she soon intimidated managers with how quickly she could pick up the nitty-gritty numbers of their business and spot flaws in their financial models without picking up a pencil, say Yahoo employees. She inspired employees with a company-wide presentation about Yahoo's potential in mid-2007, predicting the stock would soar if the company increased traffic a little and pricing a lot, according to people who attended.

But Ms. Decker struggled to turn that theory into practice. In mid-2007, she pushed a new business decision-making framework called RAPID, which stood for "recommend, agree, perform, input and decide." She required managers to fill out grids assigning employees to each letter for decisions ranging from who could veto an ad or set a privacy policy. The ordeal irritated employees, who turned the phrase "Who's the D?" into a company-wide joke.

In late 2007, Ms. Decker stepped back into her comfort zone when Mr. Yang asked her to devise a three-year financial plan to boost the board and investors' confidence. The plan projected Yahoo would grow revenue 25% in both 2009 and 2010, well above analysts' estimates of 13% and 11% growth, respectively.

The exercise took on new urgency after Microsoft made a $45 billion bid for Yahoo last January. Yahoo rejected the bid as too low.

Ms. Decker, Mr. Yang and other Yahoo executives took to the road to defend their three-year plan in March 2008, facing heat from shareholders and analysts who had picked it apart. "The analyst community had a really tough time making sense of the numbers," says Ross Sandler, an analyst with RBC. Employees also questioned the model's assumptions -- including that Yahoo could nearly double its share of the display market, according to people familiar with the plan.

Back in Sunnyvale, Calif., in early 2008, Ms. Decker created two task forces. One was dubbed Judo to review Yahoo's advertiser strategy. The other was called Aikido to review the company's consumer products strategy. The mission was to determine whether Yahoo should think of itself as an advertising or consumer business, according to people familiar with the process. In an initial vote, advertising won, say these people.

But after months of presentations, Ms. Decker concluded the company should stick to its strengths and the consumer lens, while innovating in advertising as well. Some claimed it wasn't decisive enough and that the whole experience was a waste of time.

by What a douchebagreply 6502/26/2013

Around the same time, Ms. Decker embarked on an ambitious corporate reorganization designed to rethink how the company builds products. The plan -- which created different geographic product regions and a central product management group to service them -- broke apart the powerful group that had been previously in charge of running all of Yahoo's consumer products, from Yahoo Finance to Yahoo Mail.

Some executives started to catch wind of the plan in May 2008. At the same time, activist investor Carl Icahn, who had built up a big stake in the company, announced his campaign to replace the Yahoo board.

When Jeff Weiner, Yahoo's executive vice president for consumer products, announced he wanted to leave in June 2008, Ms. Decker was forced to rush out the details. Several other senior executives also resigned. "Change produces change," Ms. Decker said in an interview at the time.

By now, Yahoo's stock price had sunk to around $20 a share, down from around $30 in February, after Microsoft's offer. Yahoo, crippled by a proxy battle, was also facing shareholder lawsuits over its handling of Microsoft's acquisition offer.

At a tense annual shareholders' meeting in August 2008, weeks after Mr. Icahn settled his attempt to topple the board and replace Mr. Yang, Ms. Decker found herself in the hot seat. Investor Eric Jackson, founder of Ironfire Capital, took the microphone and challenged the hours Ms. Decker spent in meetings on three outside boards. How are "these extra 168 hours a year best serving our company?" he asked.

Yahoo's Chairman Roy Bostock piped up to defend Ms. Decker as the hardest-working executive he knew. Ms. Decker said she had learned a lot from all these companies, citing how she had applied supply-chain knowledge from Costco to Yahoo.

In the fall, as the economy collapsed, Ms. Decker's attention turned to more cost-cutting and reshuffling. Mr. Yang began discussing his willingness to step aside with board members, say people familiar with the process. On Nov. 17, Yahoo announced they were commencing a search to replace him.

When Yahoo board members began their search, they brushed aside a hefty list of candidates from recruiting firm Heidrick & Struggles International Inc. for a shortlist of names of executives with experience running public companies. They also considered Ms. Decker as the internal front-runner, according to people familiar with the process.

At a meeting on Dec. 4 at Yahoo's headquarters, board members discussed external candidates and Ms. Decker. Outside contenders then included Ms. Bartz, Arun Sarin, a former chief executive of Vodafone Group PLC who later withdrew from consideration, and Bill Nuti, NCR Corp.'s president and CEO, say people familiar with the matter. An NCR spokesman declined comment Wednesday. Board members focused more on outsiders than Ms. Decker because they already dealt with her regularly, according to one informed person.

Ms. Decker sat for interviews with most of Yahoo's 11-person board, according to people familiar with the matter. She told some people she felt they went well, according to two familiar with the matter, but she wasn't sure where in the board's estimation she sat. On Monday night, she found out.

In a farewell email to employees, Ms. Decker said she did not make the decision to leave "lightly," according to her memo. "I want to congratulate Carol on her new role and put my full support behind her," it read. "I would ask that you all do the same."

(Same old, same old)

by What a douchebagreply 6602/26/2013

Why does Yahoo need to exist? I have been online for 20 years, and I never have anything to do with it.

What *is* Yahoo, even?

by What a douchebagreply 6702/26/2013

R67, I can't agree more. I have it as my home page I kick myself every time I am lured into a useless headline to a poorly edited article. I might add that with that lure, I have to sit through a commercial, or let myself get distracted by the sideshow of ignorant comments.

I wouldn't mind a home page that is neither left or right and has some objective content. BAWHAHAHA!

by What a douchebagreply 6802/26/2013

That HO had them build a nursery in her office for her little rat, and then she takes away everyone else's benefits?

You can just look at the pics of her and see that she's hell on wheels. The Onion should tweet the C word about her instead of that child actress.

Change starts at the top. Cut her damn salary in half. You know she doesn't deserve it.

Whatever, we're all sheep. No one rises up in this country anymore. There couldn't be a true civil rights movement today like we had in the 60s, where you actually had to show OPPOSITION to push change through.

Hell, democrats these days can hold all the cards and they'll still negotiate it all away to the republicans. Democrats are spineless folks who go for consensus instead of standing up for their principles. Makes me sad.

by What a douchebagreply 6902/26/2013

R68 I think I have as my home page. Thankfully, it's just a big blank space I pass by on my way to (which I'd recommend except they're forcing everyone into some kind of outlook program, which I hated in '98, and I imagine I'll hate just as much this year).

by What a douchebagreply 7002/26/2013

I haven't even used Yahoo as a search engine since around 2001 or so. Who uses Yahoo for anything? Old people who are on dial-up?

by What a douchebagreply 7102/26/2013

I work at McDonald's, how come I don't get to work from home?

by What a douchebagreply 7302/26/2013

R71, Im not defending my usage of Yahoo. It's like a bad accident that I can't look away from when I drive by. Time to take another route.

by What a douchebagreply 7402/26/2013

I only use Yahoo! Finance, to get a few price quotes in the morning and laugh at their daily poll that shows how out of touch and contrarian the majority of their users are.

by What a douchebagreply 7602/26/2013

r75, etc. why do you equate the success of her competitors with their opposing policy?

Seriously, it sounds like they have a serious brand issue, a lack of leadership, and nothing coming down the pipe; all of which are more pressing than telecommuting.

by What a douchebagreply 7702/26/2013

They should hire Kristen Stewart.

by What a douchebagreply 7802/26/2013

She sounds like a stubborn mule of a CEO that wants the low-paid RO be miserable.

by What a douchebagreply 7902/26/2013

She seems a screaming nightmare. A cliche of the anal retentive passive aggressive micro-managing female boss who doesn't have a humane cosmic perspective.

by What a douchebagreply 8002/26/2013

reply 11 Frick, she took off 2 whole weeks? My mom worked up until the day she was due. When she went into labor with my brother, she had a big sales pitch meeting so she called to have me reschedule it for 2 days later. She left the baby with her CFO and me at the office. No one knew she was even pregnant, she kept it very hush hush (of course until he arrived).

by What a douchebagreply 8102/26/2013

Yes, and I had one of those, R80. I quit. The donkeys are still there.

by What a douchebagreply 8202/26/2013

I hate all CEOs. None of them care about their employees and if they say they do they are lying. They are about themselves and are usually the biggest hypocrites or find ways to bend the rules in their favor but never in favor of their employees. Our CEO doesn't allow telecommuting but he does it all the time! He's in the office maybe once every two weeks! I'm tired of management who thinks they are above the rules they set. Way to motivate. Assholes!

by What a douchebagreply 8302/26/2013

[quote]This is not about employees slacking off as much as creating energy and creativity in the office.

Bullshyte! I work for a boss who is much like her...they make decisions that they know wont go over well with their staff because of their feelings, and then sugarcoat it with some crap like creativity. A nightmare for a boss. This woman is just resenting that she practically gave birth on the job. That was her choice, and Im sure other women would agree.

And if what was said up thread is correct, most of these jobs are customer service related. I have worked enough CSR jobs to know that you pretty much have to deal with whatever system is given to you to work with. There are very few opportunities to "create" changes to said system once the PTB have established how they want it work, despite them having very little end-user experience with real customers. So all of this "creativity" talk is nonsense.

by What a douchebagreply 8402/26/2013

The idea of working from home seems great, but I actually prefer to have work and home totally separate. Some mental block of mine.

by What a douchebagreply 8502/26/2013

[quote] but I actually prefer to have work and home totally separate

I'm with you, R85.

And I prefer to live some distance from work, so that I'm not running into work colleagues where ever I go outside work.

by What a douchebagreply 8602/27/2013

R80, a screaming nightmare is a very apt description. I definitely saw this coming since the inutial fawning media reaction was beyond belief.

by What a douchebagreply 8802/27/2013

A lot of snotty middle managers on this thread, whose preferred workplace is the one so thoroughly mocked in OFFICE SPACE...

by What a douchebagreply 8902/27/2013

But she IS a crazy micromanaging bitch Blanche, she IS!

by What a douchebagreply 9102/27/2013

She built a nursery in her office. Will she let every mother or father on her team do the same? I think not. How nice and easy for her, though.

by What a douchebagreply 9202/27/2013

Try three months at most or eight weeks per usual. In the scheme of things, this is NOTHING. Oh? And most dads aren't allowed any paternity leave at all. So, yeah, Mayer is a hypocrite. Life's easy for her because she has the money to make it easy. Her underlings don't.

by What a douchebagreply 9402/27/2013

She is and always has been a bitch and she deserves this - Yahoo"s stock price did not climb that spectacularly yet.

Read Maureen Dowd's column today; she gives Marissa Mayer a pointed rebuke.

by What a douchebagreply 9502/27/2013

I'm wondering if Marissa Meyer is not just angling to get dismissed from Yahoo ASAP so she can collect her golden parachute and other severance perks and have a nice, easy life. She wouldn't be the first one to play an entire company for suckers just so they can cash out and take it easy.

by What a douchebagreply 9702/27/2013

The upset people have two contradictory messages:

1) This is particularly unfair to people who have kids at home!

2) Hey, if you think we spend our work time at home watching the kids, you're wrong!

by What a douchebagreply 9802/27/2013

r96 needs to read r40 and r94 again

by What a douchebagreply 9902/27/2013

No, r98, it's the commuting time mainly. Many daycares shut down at 5:30 and you're billed immensely if you're two minutes late. Often working from home cuts down on commuting times. It's not that working parents are caring for their kids at home while pretending to work. It's that, if working from home, they can shut down at 5 and make the day care pick up, baseball game, etc. (And if need be log back in at 8 or whatever.) God.

by What a douchebagreply 10202/27/2013

by What a douchebagreply 10302/27/2013

[bold] Marissa Mayer: CEO of the year 1955 [/bold]

Think back to the mid 80s. Michael J. Fox starring in the hit movie "Back to the Future." His 1981 DeLorean, powered by the flux capacitor invented by the esteemed Dr. Emmett Brown, was sent back in time to Hill Valley on the date of November 5, 1955. What was going on in 1955? Well, we know George McFly was still in school. We also know that Goldie Wilson was thinking of running for Mayor of Hill Valley. And we know that no one telecommuted back then, and working from the office was the norm.

I can only imagine that Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer must have slipped in her bathroom, bumped her head on the toilet like Doc Brown and had a vision of a flux capacitor that could send people back in time on her pre-weekend memo that gave employees a "come into the office or quit" ultimatum. I imagine that Marissa actually went back in time and is preparing for the "Enchantment Under the Sea Dance," which is distracting her from her role of being the boss of Yahoo.

Other than proving that time travel is real, I really don’t see the benefit to this edict. Mayer argues "speed and quality are often sacrificed when we work from home," but I really don’t understand the basis for this argument, especially for a company that makes tools that are supposed to help people connect better when they’re not face to face.

Instead of making Yahoo the poster child for stodginess, how about making Yahoo a shining example of how tools like chat, presence, VoIP, video and mail, if used effectively, can make people more productive than sitting around in meetings in conference rooms?

Any research study I have seen on remote working indicates that people are more productive when they have the flexibility to create their own optimum workday and that likely doesn’t include sitting on 101 for an hour each way. I agree that some people might take advantage of it and don’t work as hard, but that’s a management issue, and it's nothing new. People who are unmotivated to work from home will also be unmotivated in the office. I also think individuals will be less likely to check in with their work at night after sitting through a long, boring Silicon Valley commute, so Yahoo’s losing the productivity time in some late working hours.

Instead, Yahoo should focus on creating new ways of working. A combination of chat, presence and mobility can bring people together faster than ever before. Need a quick response from someone working at home? Send them a chat request. Want that same request from someone in a meeting room? You may have to wait until they’re out of the meeting.

Anyway, “Back to the Future” ended with George kissing Lorraine (yes I’ve seen this movie too many times) and everyone lived happily ever after. Perhaps this year will end with Mayer being named the best CEO of 1955.

by What a douchebagreply 10502/27/2013

What is her over-paid salary and benefits....and a golden parachute package too?

by What a douchebagreply 10602/27/2013

Why would this memo come from the CEO instead of the HR VP, or employees' department heads?

by What a douchebagreply 10702/27/2013

Mayer’s starting annual base salary will be $1 million annually, which balances out to $83,333.33 per month. This is the exactly the same amount that former CEO Scott Thompson was offered in base salary (he only collected about a third of that before he was ousted.) Like the rest of us working stiffs, she’ll have two paydays a month — the 10th and the 25th.

She will be eligible to participate in an incentive plan that will pay her 200 percent of her annual base salary with a 2012 maximum of 400 percent of her salary if she exceeds her targets — so, that could bring in between $2 million to $4 million more per year.

She’ll also get some nice stock compensation, if it’s approved by the compensation committee. As an “annual equity award” she’ll receive $12 million in company stock, split between restricted stock units and stock options. She’ll also get a “make whole restricted stock unit” grant of $14 million, and something called a “one-time retention equity award” of $30 million.

by What a douchebagreply 10802/27/2013

[quote] Why would this memo come from the CEO instead of the HR VP, or employees' department heads?

It didn't. The memo came from HR, from the CEO's directive:

[quote] Courtesy of a plethora of very irked Yahoo employees, here is the internal memo sent to the company about a new rule rolled out today by CEO Marissa Mayer, which requires that Yahoo employees who work remotely relocate to company facilities.

[quote] “Speed and quality are often sacrificed when we work from home,” reads the memo to employees from HR head Jackie Reses. “We need to be one Yahoo!, and that starts with physically being together.”

by What a douchebagreply 10902/27/2013

Obscene salary and benefits.

by What a douchebagreply 11002/27/2013

Don' worry Chut-ee, I'll fine anothair chob!

by What a douchebagreply 11102/27/2013

[quote]Instead of making Yahoo the poster child for stodginess, how about making Yahoo a shining example of how tools like chat, presence, VoIP, video and mail, if used effectively, can make people more productive than sitting around in meetings in conference rooms?

Excellent point.

by What a douchebagreply 11202/28/2013

This may be a little far fetched, but in the late 1940s and early 1950s, there was a strong push to make working from home illegal. Now, this was not tech jobs, this was home sewing etc. However, the reason was to jumpstart the economy after the war. People who work away from home put more money into the economy. They buy more clothes, spend more money on transportation, eat out more often, spend more money on child care, etc. Just being a little tin hat-ish, but I wonder if we will see more and more companies doing away with telecommuters.

by What a douchebagreply 11302/28/2013

"I'm Marissa. My cunt is called Marissa. I'm in charge and so is Marissa."

by What a douchebagreply 11402/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!