Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is grant-writing for non-profits complicated?

Or can you buy one of those dummy books and figure it out?

Can any of you give me some insight on doing grant-writing as a career?

by Anonymousreply 601/08/2014

You can probably find good books on grant-writing for non-profits at your local public library.

And your library's web site may have helpful resources as well.

My library does.

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

Try the Foundation Center in NYC, last time I needed it, they have lists of all possible grants and resources on how to write a proposal.

Grant-writing as a career does not have very hot prospects. First of all, remember the organization applying for the grant needs money and isn't going to want to part with much of it to pay the writer. Second, you'd be writing simultaneous drafts for a multitude of unrelated businesses. It takes real skill and talent for an outsider to understand an organizations objectives and challenges enough to write a successful grant application.

by Anonymousreply 202/25/2013

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, just need some advice.

I'm working on a personal project that has an educational advocacy and would like to generate some funding to sustain its year-long operation. I am not US-based, but my target patrons are. I was thinking of commissioning someone US-based to do the solicitation on the project's behalf (he'll be the Funding Manager of the project) and his compensation would be a percentage of the closed sponsorships.

For guys familiar with philanthropy business, would this work? Or am I being too idealistic?

Thanks!

And where the heck's our 2014 Kindness thread?! I want to start off 2014 with lots of positive vibes! That should always be on page 1!

by Anonymousreply 301/08/2014

R3 - My understanding is that grant writers, unless they write grants as part of their paid work, are often volunteers, with indepth knowledge of the field.

by Anonymousreply 401/08/2014

Thanks for the help, r4. I was thinking more of someone who specializes in marketing/networking with an expertise/familiarity with philanthropic circles, rather than grant writing? You think that will work?

by Anonymousreply 501/08/2014

It seems pretty complicated. I intern at a nonprofit and our grant writer is considered one of the most important people on the staff.

by Anonymousreply 601/08/2014
Need more help? Click Here.