Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

This Map Shows Which Ethnicities Have The Largest Ancestry In U.S. Cities.

America is supposed to be a melting pot, and this map based on census data shows the diversity of our cities. How do you think the map will change in the coming decades?

‎We're an incredibly diverse country. Which ethnicity has the largest ancestry in YOUR area?

by Anonymousreply 2702/26/2013

Lots of Germans.

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

I'm moving.

by Anonymousreply 202/25/2013

Cool

by Anonymousreply 302/25/2013

I'm confused. Because the type is so small Im having trouble reading it, but it looks like the third ethnicity (the pale yellow) is labeled American. Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose of this map?

by Anonymousreply 402/25/2013

Where I live is mainly German according to this map, but I don't know any Germans, and I don't encounter many German-sounding names that aren't actually Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 502/25/2013

Yeah, I agree with R4.

So all those German counties are non-Americans?

This chart is fucked!

Tres stupide.

by Anonymousreply 602/25/2013

Very good question, r4. It makes absolutely no sense to me especially since "Native American" is a different category entirely.

by Anonymousreply 702/25/2013

"American" is how a majority of the people in those counties identified their ancestry, no doubt because they don't know what they are or know any better.

[quote]Lots of Germans.

Until World War I, German was the most widely spoken language all throughout what was to become the United States. The language was proscribed because of the war, and descendants of German speakers gradually lost it.

by Anonymousreply 802/25/2013

You are playing fast and loose with your "facts," R8.

by Anonymousreply 902/25/2013

Thank you. I thought my eyesight was failing or something. Then again, looking at where that group is concentrated, its possible these are people who are too stupid to know what their ethnicity is or they answered American because Dumb-ass Cracker was not one of the choices.

by Anonymousreply 1002/25/2013

The main ethnicity in St. Louis City and St. Louis County is German? I don't think so. Maybe 60 years ago, but not now.

by Anonymousreply 1102/25/2013

The dataset is from 2000.

by Anonymousreply 1202/25/2013

[quote]"American" is how a majority of the people in those counties identified their ancestry, no doubt because they don't know what they are or know any better.

Some people are insulted if you suggest they are anything but "American." I used to work for a survey research company. Ethnic demographic questions are pretty standard. We did telephone, mail and internet surveys. Inevitably, there would be respondents who would angrily scratch "I'm an American" across this survey question. I've also monitored telephone survey interviews and heard people bark the same thing. My experience was that it was usually older, male respondents who did this (think Rush Limbaugh aficionado).

by Anonymousreply 1302/25/2013

English, Scots and British of Viking ancestry settled Virginia, Maryland and the rest of the South. They moved east into Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas. Since they almost all arrived 1625-1700 they lost their ancestry knowledge 100 years before other immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 1402/25/2013

My mom used to work at an OBGYN. When new patients would come in and she filled out whatever form it was, she would check off Asian for their race If they were Indian. The women would get all snippy and declare, "I am not Asian, I am Indian." My mother, who raised snark to an art form would then ask, "You have elephants in India, right? What kind? African or Asian elephants?" The women would then bark back "INDIAN ELEPHANTS!"

by Anonymousreply 1502/25/2013

Mexicans, as far as the eye can see.

by Anonymousreply 1602/25/2013

Americans are told not to discuss their ancestry. 'They're just American,' yells DL.

by Anonymousreply 1702/25/2013

With all the Boo people in the South, why are there so damn many republicans elected to office. Mississippi and Alabama are predominately bboo's.

by Anonymousreply 1902/25/2013

Your mother's a cunt, R15.

by Anonymousreply 2002/25/2013

I was thinking the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 2102/25/2013

I can read between the lines of your clever post r18.

I believe the Census Bureau has said that generally those who claim "American" ancestry are usually of English or Scottish ancestry unless they truly are Native Americans. Most of those who claim this ancestry are in the South so go figure.

by Anonymousreply 2202/26/2013

The map does not show what the majority of people are, just what the LARGEST group is. For instance if 12 % are of italian descent, but every other group is less than 12 %, then your area gets shaded Italian.

by Anonymousreply 2602/26/2013

Which is why it would all be pink now R26. None of those counties saying German was as much as 25% German, and probably all of them have a higher proportion of Mexicans today.

by Anonymousreply 2702/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.