Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Daniel Day-Lewis didn't bow to Meryl Streep at the Oscars

When DDL received his second Oscar he bowed to Helen Mirren who was presenting that year.

Everyone thought he would do the same to Meryl Streep. As this was the passing of the torch. From the greatest actress of all time to one of the greatest actors of all time.

Instead all Streep got was a peck on the cheek.

Wonder how Streep troll feels about that this AM, with this Streep Snub.

by Anonymousreply 5502/26/2013

Presume the bow to Mirren was as a consequence of her having played the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

"Streep Snub" -- with capital letters even.

OH BROTHER! ( w/ violent eye roll)

by Anonymousreply 302/25/2013

"the greatest actress of all time" - MARY !

by Anonymousreply 402/25/2013

Whats all the fuss about DDL getting 3 best actor awards? Katharine Hepburn got 4.

by Anonymousreply 502/25/2013

Yes Meryl, 4 Best Actress Oscars. Click,click,click.

by Anonymousreply 602/25/2013

[quote]Whats all the fuss about DDL getting 3 best actor awards?

He's the first man. And he's only 55.

by Anonymousreply 702/25/2013

Meryl has three Oscars but only two for best actress. Her Kramer Oscar was supporting. So, does she now get bumped down a peg?

by Anonymousreply 802/25/2013

Maybe because DDL is British and HM holds a title?

by Anonymousreply 902/25/2013

WTF? He was not obligated to bow to Streep. That would have been absurd.

I am certain neither of them ever heard of this ridiculous notion that he should bow to her.

by Anonymousreply 1002/25/2013

That's what I was thinking, r9. It was a British royalty thing. Untwist the knickers, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1102/25/2013

You don't have much of a sense of humor do you OP?

by Anonymousreply 1202/25/2013

He learned last time that when around Meryl you don't want to get too close to her lady parts.

by Anonymousreply 1302/25/2013

OP you win! Stupidest Thread of the Year! And it's only February!

by Anonymousreply 1402/25/2013

He bowed to Dame Helen Mirren, as custom dictates.

by Anonymousreply 1502/25/2013

R16 The question you ask has already been answered.

by Anonymousreply 1702/25/2013

R18 See R9 R11 and R15. Its an English thing, you always bow to those who are titled.

by Anonymousreply 1902/25/2013

What r14 said.

by Anonymousreply 2002/25/2013

Brits don't bow to anyone other than the Royal family. And Day Lewis is an Irish citizen (as well as British). The Irish don't bow to Royalty, ever. He bowed to Mirren because Mirren played QEII. It was a joke. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 2202/25/2013

R21 No. It doesn't count.

by Anonymousreply 2302/25/2013

No, r24, she is NOT. World-wide, there are many actors and actresses just as good as she is. In the US, not so many, but a few.

by Anonymousreply 2502/25/2013

With the win, Day-Lewis becomes the center of a debate that has been brewing among industry observers since Lincoln hit screens Nov. 9: Is he the greatest film actor of all time?

Some observers say Sunday night helped Day-Lewis eclipse contemporaries including Robert De Niro (who has won two Oscars), Dustin Hoffman (two) and even Nicholson (three, including one for supporting actor). Others compare him with Marlon Brando (two Oscars) and Spencer Tracy (two).

If you include actresses, Katharine Hepburn remains Oscar's official darling with four best-actress wins.

But Lewis "is viewed as the greatest actor of the current day," says Steve Pond, Oscar analyst for industry site "Historians will decide whether he deserves comparison with the people of the past. But there's no doubt (Sunday night's award) sealed the deal as our greatest living actor."

David Poland of questions whether the comparison should stop with living actors.

"He's like Olivier in his prime," Poland says of Laurence Olivier, who won the best-actor award for Hamlet and was nominated nine other times for acting.

Because Day-Lewis does so few movies, "you expect something spectacular when he's got a film out," Poland says. "He's more selective than Brando, and it's turned his movies into events."

"There's an aura about him," says Jeremy Kay, U.S. editor of trade publication Screen International. "People still say that De Niro in the 1970s was extraordinary, but (Day-Lewis) is now arguably the greatest living actor."

Other's aren't so quick to make that claim. Tom O'Neil of awards site argues that hardware doesn't define an actor's legend.

"The only thing winning three Oscars revealed about Daniel Day-Lewis is that Hollywood thinks he's as good as Walter Brennan," who won three supporting-actor trophies for Come and Get It (1936), Kentucky (1938) and The Westerner (1940).

"Winning Oscars tells us nothing about acting brilliance," says O'Neil, who notes that 2009's Nine won few few plaudits for Lewis and earned less than a quarter of its $80 million budget at the box office.

"Arguably, Hollywood's greatest actors have been Oscar's biggest losers," O'Neil says, "including Peter O'Toole (0 wins from 8 nominations), Richard Burton (0-7) and Glenn Close (0-6)."

Whatever your take, "it's a fun argument," Kay says. "People have begun expecting greatness before his movies come out."

by Anonymousreply 2702/25/2013

As if the Streep Loon is the final word on anything, r26. Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 2802/25/2013

OMG, half the posts in this thread are from OP/r26.

You're pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 2902/25/2013

Sweethearts, you've been calling for me, and finally, HERE I AM!

Here is my delayed reply to all your queries:

First off: the title of 'dame' does not make one royal. Got that, r11? Only those with HRH (His/Her Royal Highness) in their title are royal.

Secondly, even in the Commonwealth subjects of the crown are not obliged to bow to royalty (cf. the Australian prime minister who made it a point not to bow to QE II when she visited Australia, not too long ago). Regardless of that, DDL has forfeited his British passport; he is an Irish as well as US citizen these days.

Thirdly, OP's naive question can easily be turned around: wasn't DDL's act of bowing to Mirren a bit silly, and by comparison, wasn't he addressing the REAL queen of acting the way she ought to be addressed? Namely, without silliness, and rather with an intelligent joke paying tribute to her great performance as Margaret Thatcher.

DDL was saying he and Meryl were equals, that they could play each other's roles, interchangeably. Two titans, the best of each gender, operating on the same level of talent, where gender barriers are dissolved by the sheer force of genius.

He didn't suggest the same with Mirren, did he?

Finally, r25: I'm sure you've noticed nobody here agreed with your bitter and myopic little statement, haven't you?

'A few' in the US are as good as Meryl? And, following your logic, 'many more' are as good as her around the world?

That's cute.

And just who would these people be? Jessica Lange who's played the same spaced-out character for decades now? Redgrave cannot do comedy; Huppert cannot project warmth to save her life; Glenn Close is a great villain and/or repressed woman, but not much besides; Winslet is too precious; Julianne Moore too stiff; Emma Thompson and Judy Davis too repetitive. The list goes on.

Meryl can do it ALL, in her sleep.

Bening, Dench, Cotillard, Swinton, Blanchett and Watts come close to her level of talent, I'll give you that. They are very versatile, able to portray convincingly disparate characters.

But none of them possess Meryl's superlative insight into the human psyche, her emotional availability, her intellectual hunger and her wit, nor do they have her well-oiled instrument as an actor. They cannot play music the way Meryl, and ONLY Meryl, can.

Meryl Streep is without equal (among female actors).

And r28? I am indeed the final word on anything and everything.

Half of this thread had realized that even before I came on board. That should tell you something, shouldn't it?

by Anonymousreply 3102/26/2013

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 3202/26/2013

[quote]Everyone thought he would do the same to Meryl Streep. As this was the passing of the torch. From the greatest actress of all time to one of the greatest actors of all time.

By "everyone" do you mean The Gays? Because we don't care.

I think you're the only "everyone" in that equation.

by Anonymousreply 3302/26/2013

Yawn! No one's gonna comment on Meryl pulling out her wedgie?

by Anonymousreply 3402/26/2013

I loved his Thatcher joke, he is a master of speeches much like Meryl.

But they're very different. Meryl doesn't have all the breaks and prep time he does and does film after film, always consistent. DDL was disastrous in Nine, he couldn't even do an Italian accent.

by Anonymousreply 3502/26/2013

It was instinct on DDLs' part, an actor does not get far in Hollywood without bending over in front of a myriad of powerful sexual predators.

I WARNED Helen that dress made her look like she was packing a strap on down the red carpet.

by Anonymousreply 3602/26/2013

Can I eat your diarrhea M?

by Anonymousreply 3702/26/2013

Meryl is without equal among female actors.

And yet Katharine still has four leading actress oscars.

by Anonymousreply 3802/26/2013

r31 just read you Streep hating bitches for filth. WERK!!!

by Anonymousreply 3902/26/2013

[R31] I didn't actually read your lengthy rant. I was fixated on the thought of someone choking you.

by Anonymousreply 4002/26/2013

This Streep creature is from New Jersey, isn't she? Oh dear, how very common! Only people from New England matter, you know.

by Anonymousreply 4102/26/2013

Four LEADING ACTRESS oscars R41.

by Anonymousreply 4202/26/2013

Hepburn is the GOAT for me. Streep a close second.

by Anonymousreply 4302/26/2013

Here's a treat for all you Streep deniers out there ( the resemblance to yourselves must be STRIKING!)

by Anonymousreply 4402/26/2013

People like OP make me sick. I see headlines like this across the internet trying to gain attention and make something out of nothing.

I'm sure you're first in line for the lastest release of the iPhone too, OP.

Fucking troll.

by Anonymousreply 4502/26/2013

Maybe he was about to bow to her when he suddenly remembered that she has an Emmy as well. Television awards are beneath actors such as DDL and do not merit a bow.

by Anonymousreply 4602/26/2013

[quote] Maybe he was about to bow to her when he suddenly remembered that she has an Emmy as well.

Helen Mirren has more Emmys than Meryl, and she got a bow from DDL.

by Anonymousreply 4702/26/2013

Kathrine Hepburn

- Named by the American Film Institute as the top female Hollywood Legend

- Inducted into the Kennedy Center

- Holds the record for the most acting oscars

- Is one of three hundred women listed in Encyclopedia Brittanica's "Women Who Changed the World" section.

- Has had several movies make the Sight and Sound lists of the greatest movies ever made, considered to be by historians and academics to be the finest representation of worldwide cinema ever done

- Has had several of her movies inducted into the National Film Registry, which selects and preserves "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant films".

- Has been honored with her own postal stamp

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

When she broke Hepburn's record for the most acting nominations, Streep considered it nothing short of an honor to be listed alongside "the incredible Katharine Hepburn".

So, you've been to high school with the Streep Troll. And now you've been taken to college.

Class dismissed!

by Anonymousreply 4802/26/2013

R48 for a fan you spelled Katharine Hepburn's name incorrectly

by Anonymousreply 4902/26/2013

click click click

by Anonymousreply 5002/26/2013

Wish OP would just stop.

by Anonymousreply 5102/26/2013

Stop what?

by Anonymousreply 5202/26/2013

And yet, r48, most people perceive KH as a movie star, and not a genius of acting, a la Streep.

Even you must be aware of that.

The many accolades KH received were due to her stature in the film industry and public life, the longevity of her career, her forceful personality, etc. etc.

Streep gets all her accolades because of TALENT.

Needless to say, KH foresaw Streep's trajectory when Meryl burst onto the scene, and she was burning with jealousy. Doesn't speak much for character, does it?

And you, sweety, have just been schooled at PhD level.

by Anonymousreply 5302/26/2013

Fuck all of you --- I'm Hollywood's greatest leading actress and destined to win more Best Actress Oscars than Streep and K-Hep combined, and I'm younger than either of those old hags!!!

Eat it, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 5402/26/2013

Katharine Hepburn - shakes her head and wins and Oscar.

No range at all.

by Anonymousreply 5502/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!