Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Christoph Waltz = New Daniel Day Lewis

You heard it here first. Wins two Oscars in a row. Comes out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 5006/17/2013

He was great in Django. Awful on SNL

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

Love Waltz. Loved Django.

But he wins the category fraud of the year award! No way in hell that was a supporting performance.

He probably has more lines than any other actor, male or female, in a movie this past year. And he dominates the film.

by Anonymousreply 202/25/2013

Christoph Waltz is one of many examples where a lead performance has won in the supporting category.

by Anonymousreply 302/25/2013

I thought he was great on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 402/25/2013

I love QT for bringing us him

by Anonymousreply 502/26/2013

Doesn't he speak like 5 languages or something? Interesting guy.

by Anonymousreply 602/26/2013

You're an idiot. Neither Waltz nor Day Lewis came out of no where. Waltz has been plugging away in German films/tv for years. Day Lewis was talked about as soon as he started working in films like A Room With a View and My Beautiful Landrette - 4 years before winning for My Left Foot.

Christoph Waltz = New Diane Wiest

by Anonymousreply 702/26/2013

Thanks, R4 - Now, I'm obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 802/26/2013

Christoph Waltz toiled for 38 years, i'm glad to see that his hard work and perseverance paid off.

by Anonymousreply 902/26/2013

Yes, "toil" is certainly an apt description of working in the Continental film and TV business. I do wish people would choose their words more carefully.

In any case, Waltz is a serviceable actor who is now bound inextricably to QT. There are worse situations in which to find oneself.

by Anonymousreply 1002/26/2013

How many more good-natured/evil Nazi-type roles can Hollywood vomit forth for him?

by Anonymousreply 1102/26/2013

His son is a rabbi.

by Anonymousreply 1202/26/2013

Not in a row.

But totally deserved (though Hoffman was excellent, too). It's weird people are saying his win was a surprise since if you o look at all of the predictions at Goldderby he was heavily favored.

by Anonymousreply 1302/26/2013

He was the ONLY remotely interesting thing about CARNAGE. He has a bigger range than QT is writing for him.

That said, I'm sure Hollywood is clueless as to what do with him. He doesn't strike me as being the type of actor interested in playing the suave Euro-villain opposite a wigged Bruce Willis.

by Anonymousreply 1402/26/2013

He's playing the same type over and over. He is no DDL.

by Anonymousreply 1502/26/2013

[quote]It's weird people are saying his win was a surprise since if you o look at all of the predictions at Goldderby he was heavily favored.

Karl Rove isn't ready to concede yet.

by Anonymousreply 1602/26/2013

[quote] He was the ONLY remotely interesting thing about CARNAGE. He has a bigger range than QT is writing for him.

[quote] That said, I'm sure Hollywood is clueless as to what do with him. He doesn't strike me as being the type of actor interested in playing the suave Euro-villain opposite a wigged Bruce Willis.

This. But let's be honest here: Quentin Tarantino's scripts, as limited and often formulaic as they are, are still vastly better than generic garbage of more mainstream Hollywood fare.

by Anonymousreply 1702/26/2013

[quote]He's playing the same type over and over. He is no DDL.

Not at all. Have you seen Carnage? Good movie and he's nothing like his QT characters.

by Anonymousreply 1802/26/2013

Did he do any nudity in all those German films? It seems to be de rigeur for German actors (I know he's Austrian).

by Anonymousreply 1902/26/2013

I like him better with a beard (on his face, not on his arm.)

by Anonymousreply 2002/26/2013

His character in Django isn't really anything like the Jew Hunter of IB.

by Anonymousreply 2102/26/2013

Waltz was very handsome when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 2202/26/2013

He looks good now too.

by Anonymousreply 2302/26/2013

I think he's adorable. Just my type~!

by Anonymousreply 2402/26/2013

I agree, R23 and 24. Can't wait to see what he does next. Is, 'Carnage' worth seeing?

by Anonymousreply 2502/26/2013

[quote] I agree, [R23] and 24. Can't wait to see what he does next. Is, 'Carnage' worth seeing?

I loved it but it was sort of an uncomfortable movie to watch in the sense that it'll make you cringe the entire time in the anticipation of what's going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 2602/26/2013

No. Waltz, notwithstanding, CARNAGE is awful.

by Anonymousreply 2702/26/2013

Huh. I appreciate your tips and your honesty, R26 and 27.

by Anonymousreply 2802/26/2013

Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster and Waltz are so fucking awesome in Carnage. John C Reilly is the weak link, though not necessarily bad.

Kate Winslet puking all over Jodie Foster's precious coffee table books and Foster's subsequent meltdown are definitely reason to give it a look.

by Anonymousreply 2902/26/2013

I liked Carnage a lot. For a limited premise movie (the stage origins are inescapable but they do their best to distract you from that) it's really good.

I thought all performances were good - Foster, Winslet and C. Reilly but Waltz totally steals the movie away from them and really owns it. It's true it wouldn't be worth watching without him. Foster had some buzz and it's interesting to see her do something funny. Good comedy.

by Anonymousreply 3002/26/2013

I love him. He's brilliant. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 3102/26/2013

[quote] He's playing the same type over and over.

He's an actor with an audible german accent. In english language movies that equals nazi, villain and untight bastard. He limited by the possibilities that are open to him in Hollywood.

Tarantino is willing to think and cast outside the box more than most Hollywood movie makers and has enough power to do it. Hopefully the likable hero role Tarantino gave Christoph this time will help help expand the range of offers he gets. He's charming, funny, quirky and attractive. People find the accent endearing on him. He could pull off roles like older romantic lead or loveable crazy uncle easily.

by Anonymousreply 3202/26/2013

[quote] Did he do any nudity in all those German films? It seems to be de rigeur for German actors (I know he's Austrian).

I haven't seen any full frontal, but it might be out there somewhere. You do get a really good view of his bulge in this (rather adorable) very early clip of a late teens or early 20s Christoph singing in a leotard on an austrian children's show.

by Anonymousreply 3302/26/2013

There's a link somewhere upthread that shows a young Waltz in a getting-out-of-the-tub scene.

by Anonymousreply 3402/26/2013

His cock.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 3502/26/2013

But he was American in Carnage I think and as well as obviously being far more fluent, he can certainly manage an English language accent much easier than Bardem, Dujardin, Cruz and Cotillard.

They REALLY are limited for that reason, barely proficient in some cases and something has to always be written into the script about their characters being foreign a la Jean Claude Van Damne. Well I was impressed by the accent in Carnage anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3602/26/2013

Link has full frontal

by Anonymousreply 3702/26/2013

There are different stereotypes for people with spanish and french accents. They put a good looking actor in the sexy exotic category for casting. The stereotypes and casting box for german accented people is different.

I haven't seen Carnage.

by Anonymousreply 3902/26/2013

Carnage is claustrophobia onscreen. Uncomfortable to the extreme, but great acting.

by Anonymousreply 4002/26/2013

Christoph gay role. If you play around with the captions and choose English to translate it you can get subs.

Although a fan of his has uploaded a ton of stuff, there's not much substantial out there. He was in an Irish film with Colin Farrell and Kevin Spacey. Now I know where those rumours came from.

by Anonymousreply 4102/26/2013

I know accent reduction is hard work, but I wish he would try harder to eliminate or reduce his, because a whole range of roles would open up for him.

And he looks fantastic for his age, sexier than a lot of Hollywood actors half his age.

Don't like him with his full Django beard, but with a short trimmed beard he looks great, and also looks great clean-shaven.

by Anonymousreply 4202/26/2013

Another thing: Waltz is extremely funny. He enlivened even the lamest sketch on SNL. His line delivery in the Djesus Uncrossed spoof was priceless. He made me laugh and I have literally not laughed once at an SNL sketch in years.

Someone should create a comedy series for him like the Naked Gun series with Leslie Nielsen or Pink Panther series with Peter Sellers.

I bet he'd be a riot as a comedy lead. And that kind of bumbling detective role works better with an older man playing the lead anyways.

by Anonymousreply 4302/26/2013

I won, lost, lost, won, won.

by Anonymousreply 4402/26/2013

He's playing Mikhail Gorbachev in the new Mike Newell movie. Michael Douglas is playing Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 4502/26/2013

He's also going to be in the next Terry Gilliam movie with Matt Damon and Tilda Swinton. Hard to say how that one will turn out.

by Anonymousreply 4602/26/2013

[quote] I know accent reduction is hard work, but I wish he would try harder to eliminate or reduce his, because a whole range of roles would open up for him.

It actually is only a slight accent and he's very articulate in english (more so than most native english speaker Hollywood actors). It's just that there is more openness to casting actors with other accents like british or spanish. With the right projects he could maybe overcome some of that, though, and make his own place.

by Anonymousreply 4702/26/2013

His two roles for Tarantino have not been the same. One is a sadistic Nazi, the other a bounty hunter with a heart of gold.

by Anonymousreply 4802/27/2013

[quote]Waltz must have created his American character from a Jewish comedian, since that's what he sounds and acts all the time outside of cinema in the US. It's weird.

Waltz's delivery always reminded me of Woody Allen. In fact, he should do a Woody Allen movie--that would be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 4903/01/2013

[quote]There are different stereotypes for people with spanish and french accents. They put a good looking actor in the sexy exotic category for casting. The stereotypes and casting box for german accented people is different.

Great point. Never thought of it like that. Sadly the prejudice against Germans there will remain and them playing villains.. not just cause of the recent past, but the accent/language in the first place is harsh and clinical compared to the romance languages. German is cool to study, basic German of course is relatively easy.. but it gets damn tricky beyond that.

Anyway, I think Waltz is the one person of this lot who could pull off an American accent. Was very impressed by him in Carnage. He does have an audible accent in interviews, granted, but he pronounces words the American way. I think he lived in London for a bit before his Hollywood move. Just an amazing inspiring success story.. like a male SuBo, only much cooler obviously.

by Anonymousreply 5006/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.