Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Seth MacFarlane Bombed The Oscars

Even the liberals are trashing him.

Seth MacFarlane’s performance as an Oscar host last night was a perfect advertisement for MacFarlane’s brand of humor. He opened with a number about the fact that he—and we as audiences—have seen female Academy Award nominees’ breasts. It was a bit that could have been a perceptive riff about the fact that women are asked to get naked, and to get naked in different ways, than their male counterparts, and could have tweaked the 77 percent of Academy voters who are men for voting for those roles, rather than recognizing female actors for performances that are non-sexual. Instead, he went in an entirely different direction that made for a faster, but not nearly as deep joke, bringing in the Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles. A comedic sensibility that goes to Boobs + Gay Men Who Don’t Like Boobs = Hilarity may be commercially viable, but it’s as fleeting as adolescence.

From there, MacFarlane dug in as hard as he could of on one of the few comedic lanes he’s capable of working in. He used Quvenzhané Wallis, who is nine, to make a joke about George Clooney’s fondness for dating younger women, then tossed him a drink as if to reassure one of Hollywood’s most powerful and respected actors that he’d never actually make a crack at Clooney‘s expense. He suggested that Jennifer Anniston is hiding a past as a stripper. He made jokes about actresses throwing up to fit into their dresses. He thought it was funny that Javier Bardem has an accent. I’m no Chris Brown fan, but even MacFarlane’s joke about Brown was badly constructed, saying “Django is a movie where a woman is subjected to violence, or as we call it, a Chris Brown and Rihanna date movie,” ignoring the fact that Django is a movie where a woman of color is subjected to tremendous violence by white men and saved by a heroic black man who is taking on a chivalric role that was previously specifically reserved for white men. What bothers me more than anything else about these jokes is how boring they are. I’ve heard variations of them countless times from people who think they’re hilarious, and act as if no one has ever unearthed such comedic gems before, and they’re always wrong. They are the scraps of humor actual comics left on the table a decade earlier in their careers after they learned that playing to people’s dumbest, most stereotypical assumptions is not actually the same thing as joke-making. But the laziness of MacFarlane’s brand played particularly poorly at the Oscars given the movie industry’s very real problems with both women and derivativeness, in a celebration of what’s supposed to be Hollywood’s best, the things that the profits of things like The Avengers make it possible to keep in production.

And in turning the show over to MacFarlane and letting him showcase both his comedic brand and his desire to be a Rat Pack-style crooner—he’s recorded a standards album—the Academy revealed precisely how insecure it is about the appeal of its best. Rather than choosing a popular figure who would appeal to a younger, more male audience, while retaining the ability to translate—and maybe even to sell them on—movies they might not have seen, the Awards ended up with a host who, despite his stated penchant for classic movies, appeared not to be familiar with the substance of much of what he was presenting. Is it worth pulling in more people to that vaunted billion-person audience if they walk away sniggering over boob jokes, rather than excited to see new movies?

The ceremony ended up being the equivalent of the running gag in Knocked Up, where Ben (Seth Rogen) and his friends wile away their days compiling a database of when famous actresses get naked in movies, only to find out that not only have they been beaten to the task, the website Mr. Skin has done it better. If the Oscars think that naked ladies and self-deprecation—the only remotely winning thing about MacFarlane’s performance—are what it takes to get people in the seats, at least get Louis C.K. to do those topics with a modicum of craft, self-examination, and enough courage to punch up when he takes aim at the audience, rather than reaching far below the belt.

by Anonymousreply 9003/01/2013

His career is so over now. Fox won't be afraid to cancel his shows now. "American Dad" will probably survive. Everything else will be gone.

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

That child-man humor is so over at this point; juvenile grown-up men are finished.

by Anonymousreply 202/25/2013

Yeah, the entertainment writer at ThinkProgress, Alyssa Rosenberg, opines that Seth MacFarland "bombed" as this years Oscars® host.

Here's Alyssa:

by Anonymousreply 302/25/2013

I thought that he was funny. not brilliant, but why would one expect that?

by Anonymousreply 502/25/2013

r4, 99.9% of the public and critics have agreed that he was the worst host in the show's history. They are in major damage control mode. His career is in jeopardy. That's how horrible and serious this is. .

by Anonymousreply 602/25/2013

R6 Is just joshing. Just trying to stir up a stink. Ignore.

by Anonymousreply 802/25/2013

I thought he did fine. It's just a lot of whining by "sophisticated" critics and old farts with no sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 1002/25/2013

Jesus, I thought conservatives had no sense of humor...

by Anonymousreply 1102/25/2013

Next year they'll have Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke and the queens bitching about the oscars being too trashy will bitch about it being too boring.

by Anonymousreply 1202/25/2013

I wonder if all the haters are getting their opinions from Nikki Finke's AA blog, and not from the actual show.

It wasn't flawless (whoever planned the insulting In Memoriam segment should be fired and then shot), but it was an enjoyable show and McFarlane did great.

How soon we forget Hathaway and Franco's turn st the podium…

by Anonymousreply 1302/25/2013

I seriously disagree his career is in jeopardy. I think no one will ever ask James Franco to ever host any awards show again, but he's still getting great film roles, and the universal agreement was that he was the single worst history of the Academy Awards in the history of the show (with the possible exception of letterman, who is also doing fine career-wise).

I don't think anyone (other than Nikki Finke, who is a nasty asshole) thinks Seth MacFarlane was the worst host in the history of the show (the way that people think Letterman and Franco were); still, it's unlikely he'll ever be asked to do this again, even if the ratings were good. His humor is just too sophomoric for a show like the Oscars--he was a terrible choice. MacFarlane is only classy when he sings, but he doesn't have the slightest idea as to how to be funny without being completely random or by making fart jokes or Jew jokes. He's like a frat boy. Younger people like that, I guess, but it's a huge turn-off for middle-aged and older audiences. They want the younger audience for the Oscars but not at the expense of turning fof their voters and critics.

He'll go back to doing what he does (TV shows and occasional movies), and he may get asked to do the Emmys someday. But I bet that's it for the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 1402/25/2013

His personal life is murky:

"As of September 2012 he was reported to be dating Emilia Clarke. The website Gossip Cop also reported that MacFarlane and Clarke were casually seeing each other, but that their relationship was not exclusive. The relationship was neither confirmed nor denied by either of the pair, and in November 2012, MacFarlane mentioned on Twitter that he is a "single guy". MacFarlane accompanied Clarke to the after-party thrown by HBO following the 70th Golden Globe Awards on January 13, 2013, and referred to Clarke as his girlfriend."

She sounds like a faghag/beard.

by Anonymousreply 1502/25/2013

I am usually very irreverent but even I found some stuff a bit too far.

What was that shit with the dog puppet and Mark Wahlberg - I realize that was written by MacFarlane but how did it get such a large segment? And its anit-semitic jokes were not very funny.

He was nothing special and tipped toward smarmy.

by Anonymousreply 1602/25/2013

That's what I thought as well, r16. He was like a second-rate comic at a 1966 Playboy Club.

by Anonymousreply 1702/25/2013

The 'dog puppet,' R16, was Ted. From the movie, 'Ted?' A movie that grossed over a half a billion dollars.

by Anonymousreply 1802/25/2013

What the fuck does being liberal have to do with it?

I'm liberal. I have nothing against irreverence. I just think if you are going to be very irreverent, you should make damn sure you are very funny.

Very little he did last night worked. His particular kind of goofball irreverence is well suited to animation. It's no accident that the best bit was the sock puppets Flight lampoon. Little else worked at all. What's more, no one was more aware of this than he was. And while he grinned and bore, his discomfort was evident.

by Anonymousreply 1902/25/2013

Seth MacFarlane is usually funny. The movie "Ted" was disgusting, juvenile and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2002/25/2013

R19. I liked Seth at the Oscars, but the sock puppets were the weak link and inappropriate for the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 2102/26/2013

He was not edgy or classy. Yes he can carry a tune, but he is a very colourless singer and was reviewing his own jokes sometimes before he told them.

I get "it" - that is his thing, but the overall effect was mostly just not funny random material, mixed with amateurish attempts to be Sinatra.

I would rather hear Don Rickles tell jew, spic, n-word jokes, and how women fuck for jewelry.

MacFarlane was not a satirist, but did not have the balls to to play ruff. His opening bit was not bad, but it went downhill quickly.

Passive-aggessive was his hosting style, if he had one.

It is a thankless job, but Ricky Gervais does the insider shark snark much better, Alec Baldwin does the glib sophisticate and self mockery better, and Kevin Spacey also is a charming guy who likes to sing, and can do impersonations!

I am sure the campaign for Amy and Tina to host next year is well under way, but I don't think they will do it. Amy, at least is too smart.

MacFarlane's career is not ruined, that is just silly. But you could feel his discomfort and I think he knew an hour in that it was not working, and it just got worse.

He won't be back, guaranteed.

The stage was beautifully lit.

by Anonymousreply 2202/26/2013

I thought he did fine. That was the general consensus among everyone I know who watched. A few bad jokes, as per usual at the Oscars. It did not destroy his career. Ridiculous. The critics? Who really gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 2402/26/2013

It was the narcissism that bothered me. The whole theme was Seth trying to avoid being the worst host ever....why should we care? Why should it all be about him?

by Anonymousreply 2502/26/2013

I thought the sock puppets were the funniest thing to be in an Oscars opening in years, but I do have the sense of humor of a child....

Seth was decent, I would say 6 out to 10, if I didn't find him somewhat cute I would probably say 4 out of 10.

I also enjoyed the British accented Nazi yelling "they're gone!" before Christopher Plummer came out, it was very Family Guy, which can actually be clever on occasion.

Ted the Boston accented bear with Mark Wahlberg was the most cringe inducing moment, whenever they start talking to computer generated characters on stage it's never good...

by Anonymousreply 2602/26/2013

R4 typifies the issue with the dimwits who defend the style of humor MacFarlane represents. In response to a measured, thoughtful and evidence-based treatise, the dimwit says, "Nuh-uh. You're a doody head."

One cannot reason with such uneducated fools. One simply steps around them and avoids contact with their hands, which almost always have had digits recently sent digging up their noses.

by Anonymousreply 2702/26/2013

Well, the ratings were up, because Seth brought the male, hetero teens and early 20s who love Family Guy, American Dad and Ted.

His future is secure.

by Anonymousreply 2802/26/2013

I like all those so called "not pc" jokes. They are just jokes.

by Anonymousreply 2902/26/2013

R27, were you trying to be hilarious? I'm blinded by your intellect and can't tell.

by Anonymousreply 3002/26/2013

[quote]Yes, I suppose he could have devolved into juvenile humor, but he didn't.

This is ten times funnier than anything scripted last night. A song about seeing 'boobs' wasn't juvenile?

by Anonymousreply 3102/26/2013

[quote] , MacFarlane dug in as hard as he could of

Don't they have editors at that site??

by Anonymousreply 3202/26/2013

MacFarlane's humor works when it comes from a cartoon or cartoon-like character whom one can easily chock up to being an idiot, insensitive and callous and still find that character likable, because after all, it's a cartoon. It doesn't suit an emcee for an entire evening who presents himself as the epitome of suave song and dance one minute and a trashy goof the next.

Moreover, if one is going to go the route of pushing the edge envelope, one has to be not only shocking but truly funny. Otherwise, it's a bomb.

He had a few truly funny moments. Far too few.

by Anonymousreply 3302/26/2013

It went downhill from the first Shatner news headline.

NEVER a good idea to begin a show, a job interview, a classroom lesson, anything where one will be critiqued, by putting a pre-emptive negative review "out there."

by Anonymousreply 3402/26/2013

[quote]a cartoon or cartoon-like character whom one can easily chock up to being an idiot

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3502/26/2013

And yet ratings for the show were up this year.

He did just fine. The problem with the show was all the musical numbers. God, enough already. And yeah, the Ted part could have gone. But as for the rest of it, he did fine.

Short of resurrecting Bob Hope, some of you will not ever be happy.

by Anonymousreply 3602/26/2013

I don't watch award shows. But they bitch about the oscars running over each year. Tell me, do the Golden Glibes and BAFTAs have all of these schlocky musical numbers in them?

by Anonymousreply 3702/26/2013

r35: "Chock up" is wrong, yet in this case, it's so right.

by Anonymousreply 3802/26/2013

In my opinion Seth McFarlane was good. He made fun of himself, he made fun of others, he sang a little, he danced a little, and he intoduced the presenters. What more can you ask of an Oscar host? The critics will always be more vocal about what went wrong than about what was good.

by Anonymousreply 3902/26/2013

R32, they probably don't have editors; I'd guess the bloggers post their copy to the site themselves. The site doesn't seem to be pulling in too many ads, so maybe there's no money for editing.

by Anonymousreply 4002/26/2013

We love him!

No one will ever talk about us again.

by Anonymousreply 4102/26/2013

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 4202/26/2013

I suspect Shia LaBoeuf will be free to host next year's Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 4302/26/2013

He aint coming back:

"Seth MacFarlane says he won’t host Oscars again"

Don't expect the host of the 85th Academy Awards to be back any time soon

by Anonymousreply 4402/26/2013

The sock puppet version of Flight... very funny, but over all: meh (although Seth does have a nice singing voice) Everyone says hosting the Oscars is a thankless job. As long as Billy Crystal is alive, will we be satisfied with anyone else? I agree with the Louis C.K. suggestion - maybe an outsider who doesn't fear stepping on Hollywood toes.

by Anonymousreply 4502/26/2013

I wish we had good comedy actors/comedians who could host, but all US male comedians ever do is talk about boobs, pussy and dick.

The UK has the right idea. They have comedy teams who write together and do their own shows. The also have a job called a "presenter" where all the person does is host shows. We should have a similar job.

by Anonymousreply 4602/26/2013

MacFarlane thinks that he's a better singer than he actually is. He does one of the BBC Proms every summer and makes a big fool of himself singing showtunes.

by Anonymousreply 4702/26/2013

I agree - the sock puppet version of Flight was funny.

There was just this icky feeling this guy creates. Maybe it was just too much snark from a guy nobody knows publicly.

I wish they would just do what they do at the BAFTAs. They have a very witty and smart host who manages to deliver jokes that are actually or at least usually witty and smart and funny and even risque without being stupid and lame and too fratty.

They also allow winners time to speak (except Russell Crowe's poems LOL!) and seem to be respectful of people without fawning even while they are joking with them. Is that so hard?

One of the problems is that the Oscars tries to be a vaudeville act as well as an awards ceremony. Would you really want to participate in that mess if you weren't some famewhore and could avoid it? They should plan one or two production numbers that are special and somehow honor the films nominated. Not honor some ten year old IMO awful movie like Chicago just because its producer is now producing the Oscar show.

That said I did enjoy when Cirque opened the show.

by Anonymousreply 4802/26/2013

I honestly didn't think he was that bad, especially compared to the Franco/Hathaway debacle. It's really a no-win gig because they get in trouble if they're too raunchy/tasteless or not enough.

Overall I thought the show was much more entertaining this year than last. For me highlights were Shirley Bassey, Adele, sock puppets and Michelle O.

by Anonymousreply 4902/26/2013

I enjoyed him. I thought he was funny.

by Anonymousreply 5002/26/2013

I thought he was a great choice and a natural for this, with his hosting of the Comedy Central Roasts. The only problem is, his smooth delivery can fall a little flat with punchlines, but it also means he can get away with more.

Sure, that epic opener was a slog but overall I thought he and the show were the best in years. Crystal was a good return but he isn't as on the ball anymore. Seth was (seemed) very comfortable and it looked effortless and like he had no nerves which would make the audience uncomfortable - but then again, I can't think of any host who looked nervous as this is rehearsed to death.

I do take the point of one article that said it was schizophrenic in how it couldn't decide to praise or ridicule Hwood, but it kept me interested for once and some of it was funny. Like how they admitted at the start Hathaway would win. And yes, I'd hit it.

by Anonymousreply 5102/26/2013

He was unfunny, boring, and kind of repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 5202/26/2013

I thought he did fine. I can't remember anything, anything that Martin/ Baldwin or Billy Crystal did (why is he so popular? I don't get it), and Hathaway/ Franco are best not mentioned again. Every host ever seems to bomb during the monologue at the Oscars, even Jon Stewart or Ellen. Hugh Jackman was better, but overall I liked MacFarlane.

by Anonymousreply 5302/26/2013

I think even Hathaway/Franco was better than MacFarlane.

by Anonymousreply 5402/26/2013

Critics are never happy with the Oscar host, are they? I thought Chris Rock did a fine job, but he was panned and never asked back. Same with Jon Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 5502/26/2013

Nonsense r55. There are other hosts that get good reviews. Expand it to other award shows and theirs even more positive reviews. That's just an excuse that he bombed and bombed hard.

by Anonymousreply 5602/26/2013

I don't remember anybody being a slam-dunk since Carson. Maybe Billy Crystal used to be better than I recall; his shtick just seems old-fashioned now.

by Anonymousreply 5702/26/2013

R46 That would be Ryan Seacrest. NO.

by Anonymousreply 5802/26/2013

I thought of Seacrest, but yes it would have to be joke free. All the actors hate him anyway. Joel McHale was another one I had in mind.

by Anonymousreply 5902/26/2013

Humans are ridiculous and overwrought these days. It was a show about a bunch of rich people dressed up hoping they or their loved one/friend wins a gold statue and a guy who introduced them.

This what is in the news and here ad nauseum. More people are upset about the guy who introduced them than stolen elections, human rights, bank fraud and global warming.

The horror of it all.

by Anonymousreply 6002/26/2013

Nobody can really do a soft-shoe anymore, and I wish they'd stop trying.

by Anonymousreply 6102/26/2013

The holocaust joke he did at the nomination ceremony was a bit much, but otherwise I loved how they shook that up - taking them out of alphabetical order and adding more suspense at who gets the last slot like in actress, adding more categories, plus the jokes.

And thank god that dreary Academy president who Billy Crystal rightly made fun of is gone, I hope more of the nomination ceremonies are like this and not the staid ones of before.

by Anonymousreply 6202/26/2013

I hated that stupid "I Saw Your Boobs" number.

Dumb frat boy humor. Nothing funny about it.

by Anonymousreply 6302/26/2013

Yeah, it was really dumb, unfunny, and the "Gay Men's Chorus" were brought out as clowns.

by Anonymousreply 6402/26/2013

No, they were brought out because Seth is gay. He is hiding in plain sight.

Frank Ocean was the musical guest when Seth hosted SNL.

No straight guy is as passionate about gay rights as Seth is.

The touches of misogyny in his stuff is because he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 6502/26/2013

The gay men's chorus were brought out as CLOWNS - you were meant to LAUGH AT THEM singing about BOOBS

by Anonymousreply 6602/26/2013

What a thankless job. I think he did fine. He wasn't the worse.

by Anonymousreply 6702/26/2013

MacFarlane's work on the Oscars can't begin to compare to the fabulous Oprah-Uma moments with Letterman.

by Anonymousreply 6802/26/2013

His humor is childish and lame. That's why he bombed.

by Anonymousreply 6902/26/2013

[quote]I think even Hathaway/Franco was better than MacFarlane.

I have to agree, unfortunately.

[quote]It's really a no-win gig

So true. It's either deadly dull and people complain....or they do something different and the entire Academy is in an uproar.

The Academy is so conservative, it's funny that Hollywood has such a liberal reputation.

by Anonymousreply 7002/26/2013

I've never thought he was funny. His humor is not at all clever. Hosting the Oscars didn't change my opinion; rather, it solidified it.

by Anonymousreply 7102/26/2013

I noticed a big change in the show when that black guy was the host and he began attacking people by name. If I recall, there were jokes about generic actors/directors/producers that worked well if you were outside the audience, and worked even better if your were inside and caught the drift and guessed the identity of the target.

It's gotten too personal and intrusive.

by Anonymousreply 7202/26/2013

[quote]His career is so over now. Fox won't be afraid to cancel his shows now. "American Dad" will probably survive. Everything else will be gone.

Bitch please. Do you know anything about show business? As long as there are enough advertisers who pay for airtime, his shows will run.

by Anonymousreply 7302/26/2013

I enjoyed him. I thought his clapping was genuine. I thought he seemed nervous and slightly unsure of himself at times. He should not go down in the annals as one of the worst.

It's the writers and producers who suck hardest. Terrible show even when it's not, year after year.

by Anonymousreply 7402/26/2013

Did he come up with the celebrating the music in movies theme or did that come from someone else and Seth had to work his hosting gig around it?

by Anonymousreply 7502/26/2013

If they had fifteen minutes to blow they should have built the entire opening around music in the movies... but even that was unclear... was it musicals or music, including scores, because there were some epic scores missing.

I wish they'd devote five or ten minutes to a collection of the best from great movie composers, with their respective films. Teach people a little something.

by Anonymousreply 7602/26/2013

Next year is the 75th anniversary of Gone with the Wind. I hope they do something decent.

Or at least commemorate 1939, which was generally regarded as one of the great years in American film making.

by Anonymousreply 7702/26/2013

I liked most of it but some jokes fell flat...I sure don't know what conservative or liberal has to do with any of it. I always thought Seth was a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 7802/26/2013

Is this a Big Deal everywhere, or is this just a DL Big Deal?

National media think it's a story or a non-story?

by Anonymousreply 7902/26/2013

The boob number was funny and if you didn't get it, it's because you have a stick up your ass. Lighten up.

by Anonymousreply 8002/26/2013

His jokes were frat-boy trash, and very low-grade. Yuck. It was embarassing to watch such garbage. He made a fool of himself.

The Oscars should be a dignified presentation of honors, not some trashy show. And that boob song was just awful, really juvenile.

by Anonymousreply 8102/26/2013

He's a Democratic R78.

by Anonymousreply 8202/26/2013

They can't do GWTW, r77 -- it's against the law.

by Anonymousreply 8302/26/2013

[quote]The Oscars should be a dignified presentation of honors, not some trashy show.

After 80+ years, not gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 8402/26/2013

If it's such a dignified affair perhaps someone should tell Kristen Stewart not to show up stoned. Please, half of the celebs there are felons and virtual prostitutes...classy

by Anonymousreply 8502/26/2013

It astounds me that people are criticizing him. Consider this: All of the Best Picture nominees (except "Argo") were for gloomy, gut-wrenchingly sad movies or obscure films that no one saw. The nominees were all from these downbeat movies (has there ever been a less glamorous bunch of nominated actors and actresses?)

Somehow Seth MacFarlane was supposed to turn these off-putting films and the notoriously tedious long ceremony into something entertaining that people (especially younger people) would watch. And he...did it!

Instead of celebrating his achievement everyone's going over every second of the broadcast with the suspicious determination usually reserved for purported UFO footage or the Zapruder film fishing for every possible joke that they might have forgotten to be offended about. Are as many people watching "Argo" on Amazon? How many armchair critics pre-ordered their DVD release of the elderly couple facing decline and death? How many even know how to pronounce the name of the little girl from "Beasts of the Southern Wild"-and where were the packed theaters for that movie? I don't think it even played anywhere near where I live, so the notion of a 9 year old winning best actress only added to the absurdity and irrelevance of the event.

It was due for a reality check. The "boob song?" I'm gay, but I know that every straight guy got the joke. Remember how charged up us gays were by the "8th Wonder of the World" between Michael Fassbender's legs-even George Clooney joked about it-and in "Shameless" he played a hopeless sex addict.

So some of the women who bared their breasts on film were portraying victimized characters? People take screen caps out of context., because they are out of context! I'm sure the majority of straight guys enjoyed seeing the bare breasts of movie stars as gay guys like seeing the actors who are brave enough to go "Full Monty." The truer the joke the more uncomfortable people get-that's the exact definition of satire.

And Seth MacFarlane is one of the masters of creative, zany, over-the-top-but bracingly honest pop-culture satire Hollywood has ever produced. He's like Robin Williams with sanity and smarts.

The only revolutionary difference this year is that people were already complaining about how awful the Oscars were-while they were still happening! I think the two jokes that were out of line and awkwardly unfunny: the Adele/Rex Reed joke and the Mark Wahlberg/"Jews run Hollywood" bit seemed to come from desperation at being knocked off balance by the flood of hate Tweets that began seconds into the show.

Rest assured next year Seth MacFarlane probably won't host. Who ever does will be eaten alive, the ratings will never be this high again and by the first commercial break the Twitterati will be crying out-"(blank) is the worst host ever! Why couldn't they get Seth MacFarlane again! He was great!"

by Anonymousreply 8602/26/2013

A little off topic but look at what nonsense I have to see on Facebook until I start some friend deleting. NOBODY THANKED GOD!!! NOT EVEN THE TIAWANESE BUDDHIST!!!!

Autumn Essie Bailey-Ford If I am wrong please tell me but everyone who won not one and I mean NOBODY thanked GOD hmmmmmmm am I wrong?? Like · · Sunday at 11:12pm via Facebook for Windows Phone · 20 people like this.

Whitney Jo Foolish ppl! Sunday at 11:13pm · Like · 1

Tomeka M. Winborne No, you are right about that...the closest we got was Ang Lee thinking the Film God! Sunday at 11:15pm · Like · 2

Chuck Brown I peeped that too. I can't remember who but one person thanked the film gods. Lol But I was waiting and waiting and waiting... of course my speech thanks God. Sunday at 11:16pm via mobile · Like

Autumn Essie Bailey-Ford Yea and who is this film GOD I need to meet him never heard of him love film but he will get no praise from me. Sunday at 11:16pm · Like · 5

Tomeka M. Winborne I agree... Sunday at 11:17pm · Like · 1

Chuck Brown Lol truth! Sunday at 11:17pm via mobile · Like · 1

Danni Chick Thas why some black actors/actresses must win because we will give praise to the most important. I promise to give my Father, El Elyon, the Most High God which art in Heaven, all the glory, honor, and praise. Being on that stage to accept that award is God. Father, forgive them for they do not know and/or realize. Sunday at 11:19pm via mobile · Like · 5

Yolanda Chavez How sad it is that they forget so quickly, all they to see before them is a little Golden Man Sunday at 11:22pm · Like · 4

Taylor Owenby ::: It is a long-standing tradition that thespians pay tribute to the Greek mythology era in which acting began. It isn't a religious thing it is superstition. As a Christian, I have always found myself being the ONLY person feeling uncomfortable by this. However, I am now strong enough in my faith to just laugh at what it is. Sunday at 11:26pm · Like

ActorTroy Bland Not ONE!! Sunday at 11:26pm · Like

Taylor Owenby When I get an Oscar, I am thanking the one who made it happen! Sunday at 11:27pm · Like

Danni Chick It is very sad, Yolanda. I can't intercede enough to ask God to forgive them. My heart is hurting right noww. I can't imagine not thanking Him.. Sunday at 11:27pm via mobile · Like · 1

Chuck Brown I'm not mad at those who don't believe. It's just hard for me to believe that none of the winners believe enough to think of God as a priority in that setting. That's why I was waiting. Sunday at 11:30pm via mobile · Like · 2

Autumn Essie Bailey-Ford Let me win me and the bible going on stage and I shall read something from it cut the music on me I am preaching and thanking the main man. Sunday at 11:32pm · Like · 7

Chuck Brown I will make sure I have the church organ override button ready when they start playing the jaws music. Lol Sunday at 11:33pm via mobile · Like · 1

Taylor Owenby haha Sunday at 11:36pm · Like

Taylor Owenby God is Love and to love and be loved is God. If one receives an Oscar, they should no doubt acknowledge God. And the love. Sunday at 11:37pm · Like · 1

Jay Ali Should they? Does God need a shout out at the Oscars? Lest be careful not to judge others outward praise of God as a measure of their faith. Just because someone doesn't scream thank you Lord for getting me here doesn't mean their not saying it. They are probably saying it to the only being that can hear them. God. Sunday at 11:38pm · Like · 2

Taylor Owenby I understand what you are saying too. It is just a shame to see no representation! I hold no judgement towards the winners this year. It just seems like God is ever-less present in the media. #justsayin Sunday at 11:41pm · Like

Chuck Brown Yeah. I agree. No judgment on my end either cus I know that Ben believes. But I was looking for someone/anyone to acknowledge. Sunday at 11:43pm via mobile · Like · 1

Autumn Essie Bailey-Ford I did not judge anybody @ jai all I did was ask a simple question. To each its own. Sunday at 11:45pm · Like · 2

Cheryl L. Bedford I have to say that I always find it annoying whe

by Anonymousreply 8702/26/2013

Seth was bad, but not as bad as Franco/Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 8803/01/2013

He didn't have Marky Mark stand behind him without a shirt and have a foul mouthed cartoon say fart jokes.

That's why

by Anonymousreply 8903/01/2013

[quote]His jokes were frat-boy trash, and very low-grade. Yuck.

Which is exactly what American humor has been since the 90s. If you think this isn't what America wants and laughs at, "Welcome Back to 1940"

by Anonymousreply 9003/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!