Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What are the critics saying today

About Grandma Streisand's performance and Dame Shirley, who really did it?

The ones under 80.

by Anonymousreply 3902/27/2013

Bassey was pretty good given her age. Streisand sounded tentative and breathy throughout - sad.

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

Bassey was fantastic! Streisand made me sad.

by Anonymousreply 202/25/2013

Barbra called me personally this morning - twice - about doing a duets album. I think I'll do it!

by Anonymousreply 302/25/2013

Where's Rex Reed's review of Adele?

by Anonymousreply 402/25/2013

Yeah, Babs upset me too. I'm 42 and I remember hearing my dad playing one of her albums as a kid and just flipping out over her voice. I think it was Yentl and I couldn't believe that she could hold a note as long as she did in A Piece of Sky. I've been a big fan ever since . . . but last night was sad.

Bassey tore that shit up though. Even so, her pronunciation (Gold-FINGUH!!!!!) was a little irritating.

by Anonymousreply 502/25/2013

And don't call me Shirley (retread)

by Anonymousreply 702/25/2013

Barbra's lazy........most 70 year old Jewish women are

by Anonymousreply 802/25/2013

I was so embarrassed for Shirley Bassey. She just screeched and hollered off key and didn't seem to be able to hear herself. The old broad is almost 80, but she can no longer carry a note in a bucket.

Babs was a disappointment too. She stayed on key most of the time, but her voice now has a limited range compared to what she had in her heyday. I think it's largely due to all the cigarettes.

Be honest folks, poor Shirley was no better than any loser at pig hollering contest. She looked fairly good for 76 or 77, better than Bad does at 71, but neither possesses a tenth of the voice that made them famous.

by Anonymousreply 902/25/2013

Of course R9 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 1002/25/2013

Cigarettes? Barbra? I don't believe it.

by Anonymousreply 1102/25/2013

R9 is wrong. I just listened to Bassey again and she was guarded at first but thrilling.

Babs was sad.

by Anonymousreply 1202/26/2013

Bassey owned that stage.

by Anonymousreply 1302/26/2013

Honey, Barbra was amazing in 1963 and she's just as divine now, girlfriend, maybe better. She has given the world her blood, heart and soul for 50 years and, at 70, the woman could not be more fabulous. Her first album was released a year before The Beatles hit. They've been nothing but a bad memory for 45 years and she's still going strong.

When she sang Sunday night I felt like I was touched by the angels. Every gay man beamed with pride for our Queen, Barbra, that night. Tears filled my eyes and streamed down my face. I cried for over half an hour from the sheer beauty of the event. Barbra looked radiant and spectatular.

Honey, hearing Barbra sing is the closest most of us may ever get to heaven, and that's good enough for me. The angels in heaven could not come close to the song of Ms. Streisand. She is Brooklyn, New York's pride and joy. I am so proud to breathe the same air as she. Though, in no way do I think I am deserving to.

Sweethearts, it's the conservative homophobic bigots who are tearing down her performance. They hate anything we love. It's just another stab at us, the gay community. They are so jealous of our special relationship with Barbra. I am proud to be a gay man, and I am proud to be a lifelong Barbra worshipper. I will savour her music until the day I leave this world. Hopefully, I can share a cloud with her in heaven, so I can hear her beautiful songs for eternity.

Long live Barbra!

by Anonymousreply 1402/26/2013

Bassey owned the stage, but she wailed off key. She did a lot of over the top belting, very dramatic.

Barbra was Barbra. She couldn't have just come out and sung her song. No, she had to make a little speech, make the whole thing specific to Marvin Hamlisch instead of an elegant, classy tribute to the whole bunch.

So mannered, always always so much about her.

She looked like she was trying to hard, too.

by Anonymousreply 1502/26/2013

Barbra did not make an ass of herself, but it is time to quit. And you know what? She bitched and bitched in the 1960s and 70s how much she hated singing, now she loves it enough to carry on in her 70s??? QUIT ALREADY. Make this the last time.

Shirley was amazing for her age -- 75 or 77 -- depending on which bio. Babs should be jealous.

by Anonymousreply 1602/26/2013

R16 Barbra was wonderful, honey. You make my soul cry.

by Anonymousreply 1702/26/2013

Sassy Miss Bassey was fabulous. She remarked in an interview thirty years ago that her voice deepened so she sang it differently even at that time. She looked gorgeous and was in fine form.I can see where Liza stole her vocal act from.....;)

Barbara(her real name)though. She was boring.She thought she could coast BUT she was staid.

by Anonymousreply 1802/26/2013

"She has given the world her blood, heart and soul for 50 years..."

Mary!

She's Barbra Streisand, not Mother Theresa, you fossilized old queen.

by Anonymousreply 1902/26/2013

R5 When did your father come out?

by Anonymousreply 2002/26/2013

I wanted to love Shirley-and I still do, but she WAS horribly off-key Sunday night. I never have been a big fan of Barbra's-just a little too dramatic in her songs and overly produced, but will admit she had a hell of a voice. HAD. Neither one was that good though Shirley wins in the battle of the old farts that night.

by Anonymousreply 2102/26/2013

[quote]When she sang Sunday night I felt like I was touched by the angels. Every gay man beamed with pride for our Queen, Barbra, that night. Tears filled my eyes and streamed down my face. I cried for over half an hour from the sheer beauty of the event. Barbra looked radiant and spectatular.

My God, that's a MARY! for the ages!

by Anonymousreply 2202/26/2013

Both of their voices have obviously declined as would be expected of people in their 70s-80's. I think it's a bad idea for people to sing their trademark songs when that happens. It's depressing for the audience. It reminds us of our own decline.

And shouldn't 70-year-old women give up the long straight blonde hairstyle? That's also sad.

by Anonymousreply 2302/26/2013

R14 scares me. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2402/26/2013

They both were divine. Good lord, you gotta make a few concessions for age. You know any OTHER 70 something women who could get out there and do what they did? Think about the blue hairs that you know in your own lives. Grandmas and bingo. Shirley Bassey and Barbra Streisand? They are the gold standard, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2502/26/2013

I think you can sing a song like The Way We Were at any age. Gawd, some of you are so subjective and petty - can't you just appreciate the performances for what they were? It's not exactly breaking news that two elderly ladies no longer sound as they did in their prime but they have nothing to be ashamed about. I'd rather listen to them than the cast of Les Mis.

by Anonymousreply 2602/26/2013

Barbra was singing better than ever back in October on her tour.

by Anonymousreply 2702/26/2013

The one who was a wreck was Adele. She sounds like she's heading toward serious vocal distress again. She got off every high note and the one she finally did sustain at the end almost shattered. She barely pulled it out of her ass.

Poor girl has zero technique. She'll be done in a year.

by Anonymousreply 2802/26/2013

[quote]Sweethearts, it's the conservative homophobic bigots who are tearing down her performance. They hate anything we love. It's just another stab at us, the gay community.

You're a loony tune, Mary Jane.

by Anonymousreply 2902/26/2013

[quote]Hopefully, I can share a cloud with her in heaven, so I can hear her beautiful songs for eternity

If there's one thing that could disrupt the serenity of the hereafter, it would be the mob of caterwauling queens fighting to share a cloud with Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 3002/26/2013

"[R14] scares me. Seriously."

Don't be afraid. R14's name is Milton T. Simmons and nowadays he does his 'Sweatin' to the Oldies' at a keyboard, professing his maniacal love for Barbra here.

by Anonymousreply 3102/26/2013

r14 - MIRIAM!!

by Anonymousreply 3202/26/2013

I thought they were both very strong and wonderful!

Barbra was just fine, what are you nags going on about? She's almost 70 for Christ's sake, there is going to be a huskiness and smaller range in the woman's voice of course! She was emotionally connected and had perfect pitch. You people are nuts.

by Anonymousreply 3302/26/2013

Streisand not only looked terrible - bad, bad choice of gown, hair hideously too long for her age, and sounded like shit.

Shirley, on the other hand, was perfection. Looked fabulous, great how, and despite a pitchy start, she was brilliant at the end.

Babs was just sad, all the way through.

by Anonymousreply 3402/26/2013

[quote]She was emotionally connected and had perfect pitch. You people are nuts.

If you think that was perfect pitch, YOU'RE nuts. And deaf to boot.

by Anonymousreply 3502/26/2013

I watched Barbra a second and third time. It wasn't 1973, but she was still pretty damn fabulous. I liked her. And she looked gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 3602/26/2013

Chris Matthew loved Barbra. He said he was sort of a friend of Marvin. Okay, Chris.

by Anonymousreply 3702/26/2013

I didn't think she was awful... I didn't think she was awesome. I might chalk up some of the performance to a) the audio problems that dogged the singers all night and b) personal emotion, singing in tribute to someone who played a major role in her professional life. It's also established she isn't thrilled about live performance, at least at awards shows. So I cut her slack there (and I am not shipper. I love her voice, her orchestrations have always been so syrupy I've wondered she doesn't get stuck.)

But that dress. She looked like Norma at the end of Sunset Boulevard. Total flop.

by Anonymousreply 3802/27/2013

But she was flat.

Flat, flat, flat.

by Anonymousreply 3902/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.