Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why haven't Ben Affleck and Matt Damon written anything after Good Will Hunting?

I mean, that script was so brilliant. Why no follow-up?

by Anonymousreply 2102/26/2013

Genius doesn't just disappear.

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

That script probably had a lot of work by others including GVS.

by Anonymousreply 202/25/2013

They created 'Dogma' with lots of bad dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 302/25/2013

Richard LaGravanese did major work on it. Its amazing how much Ben Affleck complains when he now has two Oscars for no real reason. His low point was being a millionaire movie star. Boo hoo.

by Anonymousreply 402/25/2013

R4, So how come Richard LaGravanese isn't writing more scripts?

by Anonymousreply 502/25/2013

Looks like he's been pretty busy, R5.

by Anonymousreply 602/25/2013

Because they didn't write Good Will Hunting.

by Anonymousreply 702/25/2013

It was just a standard rotten little prick who gets his ass kissed by everybody style Hollywood picture.

by Anonymousreply 802/25/2013

R3 Kevin Smith wrote Dogma.

by Anonymousreply 902/25/2013

People on movie productions often wear many (uncredited) hats. It probably has the fingerprints of many people.

Maybe that guilt affected Bennie so much that he spent 10 years giving crap performances in crap movies? Oh well, he's redeemed himself now.

I just wish he'd kniock that chip off his shoulder. The one where he thinks he's some underdog just not getting the accolades he so richly deserves (he seemed to be nibbling on his knuckles all night). Get over it and maybe you'll get a Director Oscar, m'kay boobie?

by Anonymousreply 1002/25/2013

Oh, Argo, you are so perfect. But not you, Ben. Ben, you didn't make them forget about tacos.

by Anonymousreply 1102/25/2013

Well, "one-hit wonders" might be the answer.

Not that they are one-hit wonders. They've gone on to do other very good work. But "Good Will Hunting" was their chance to break into the business and become stars in their own right. But once that movie established them as stars, they didn't have to write their own material...the material has been written for them in which to star.

by Anonymousreply 1202/25/2013

Given that Good Will Hunting's script originally killed off Affleck and had a plot about the government trying to recruit Damon, it's clear that movie scripts change hands many times on their way to the screen.

Also, some of the finished movie is awful. The "I'm sorry" bit in particular is shit. This is the best scene.

by Anonymousreply 1302/25/2013

Good Will Hunting is a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1402/25/2013

as others have stated, I never thought they wrote it by themselves. I'm also sure 'Hollywood made a lot changes to the script.

by Anonymousreply 1502/25/2013

Damon wrote most of the script. And it was heavily rewritten by William Goldman. Goldman even had to publicly deny he did this, even though everyone in Hollywood knew the truth.

by Anonymousreply 1602/25/2013

Goldman said he completely rewrote it in an article in Premiere magazine on script doctoring.

by Anonymousreply 1702/26/2013

I heard the same thing, r16 and r17.

by Anonymousreply 1802/26/2013

Rewriting doesn't automatically translate as making it better. Maybe the rewrite was to make it more commercial.

And of course, Goldman couldn't have had any ulterior motive in taking credit for a script that had already won an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1902/26/2013

As college students, Mindy Kaling and a friend wrote a play about this issue ("Matt & Ben") that suggested divine intervention: dailyprincetonian.com/2003/11/06/9000/

by Anonymousreply 2002/26/2013

That play is hilarious. They start out by copying dialogue from Catcher in the Rye. And the Goop episode... I would have loved to see it played by Mindy Kaling and her friend

"Who is this beautiful, beautiful man?"

by Anonymousreply 2102/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.