Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Guss who's going to play Annie in the re-make movie: Quvenzhané Wallis

I shit you not.

by Anonymousreply 4503/05/2014

We've heard.

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

It's completely buried in the Oscars thread, r1: who was supposed to know it from that?

by Anonymousreply 202/25/2013

Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 302/25/2013

It is spelled AnnE

by Anonymousreply 402/25/2013

Bleeding Heart Productions.

by Anonymousreply 502/25/2013

Told you I am taking Hollywood over! Willow who?

by Anonymousreply 602/25/2013

Willow is playing Sandy.

by Anonymousreply 702/25/2013

Wasn't Annie white and a red head?

by Anonymousreply 802/25/2013

Good for her. Unlike Willow, SHE has talent.

by Anonymousreply 902/25/2013

There's nothing about Annie that screams that she has to be inherently white and red-headed. It's not something intrinsic to the character. Some cunt on another website compared it to Anne Hathaway playing Harriet Tubman.

Which actually sounds hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1002/25/2013

Is Sandra Bullock going to play Daddy Warbucks in this new interpretation?

by Anonymousreply 1102/25/2013

If she can indeed sing, she'll be terrific.

This makes much more sense than the idea that Grace would be played by an African-American actress (which is what happened in the last remake, and seemed to defy all logic for what 1930s America was like).

by Anonymousreply 1202/25/2013

Yeah - they have to do a MAJOR re-work and set this some time after the 1960s if it is going to work.

by Anonymousreply 1302/25/2013

Please. Annie is a ridiculous fable is there ever was one. Even for a musical the stage version is over the top. No reworking will be required. I doubt they're going to bring Spike Lee in to insert a speech about race relations delivered by that dumb hotel Lili St Regis.

by Anonymousreply 1402/25/2013

I guess Annie will now be carrying a purse.

by Anonymousreply 1502/25/2013

They're inserting a scene where Sandy is turned into a purse by Mrs. Hannigan in a fit of rage. Little Girls is sang to her sewing machine.

by Anonymousreply 1602/25/2013

Annie survives because it is every gay man's fantasy: finding a rich, sexy, bald topdaddy who will shower you with gifts.

by Anonymousreply 1702/25/2013

It's in post-production- I'm salivating!

by Anonymousreply 1801/17/2014

OP, the correct phrase is...I shit THEE not!

by Anonymousreply 1901/18/2014

so theyre going to paint her white every day and give her an orange weave?

doesn't that seem like an excessive amount of work?

by Anonymousreply 2001/18/2014

They should've cast Madonna as DeDe Warbucks.

by Anonymousreply 2101/18/2014

HMMMMM. She is a tad bit dark for the role. Annie is traditionally a WHITE little girl. No?

by Anonymousreply 2201/18/2014

It actually looks kind of interesting - seems like it's set in the present day from the costumes.

I can't imagine Cameron Diaz singing though; she's pretty tone-deaf from what I remember of her karaoke scene in My Best Friend's Wedding.

by Anonymousreply 2301/18/2014

"so they're going to paint her white every day and give her an orange weave?"

And?

by Anonymousreply 2401/18/2014

You saw the original cast, r27? You're truly the first person I have ever, ever heard say they preferred the movie to the original Broadway cast. (Not that you're not entitled to your opinion.)

by Anonymousreply 2501/18/2014

I don't understand the deal with all the (racially-tinged) comments in this thread. Annie isn't some sacred cow - it's one of the most overplayed productions by schools and community theaters ever, and is frankly one of the easiest shows to imagine being reinterpreted or updated to a different setting (and one of the shows most badly in need of it). The broad outlines (lovable poor orphan girl has her life transformed when she's taken in by a rich sugar daddy) is one that's easy to imagine in different time periods, cultural settings, countries, etc. Hell, set the damn thing in Vietnam or Russia and it would still work.

Some people are so caught up in whether the orphan girl has lily-white skin and is going to have Cheetoh-orange curls - I mean no one, white or black, has that as their natural hair color. I don't know whether this production will be any good, but all the comments about how she'll need to wear an "orange weave" or sing in ghetto-slang are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2701/18/2014

"Cheetoh-orange curls - I mean no one, white or black, has that as their natural hair color."

You obviously didn't have gym class with David Lund.

by Anonymousreply 2801/18/2014

The trailer for this is out - it looks completely inoffensive. I don't know how good Cameron will be as Ms. Hannigan, but otherwise it looks fine, and didn't really merit all the street-slang digs in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2903/05/2014

[quote]one of the easiest shows to imagine being reinterpreted or updated to a different setting (and one of the shows most badly in need of it).

Why, pray tell, is Annie badly in need of being updated to a different setting? Is Depression era NYC somehow NOT appropriate to the material?

"Reinterpreting" is the lazy craftsman's way of pretending to be a real artist.

by Anonymousreply 3003/05/2014

R38, because creators and story-tellers like to tell stories to audiences that they can relate to by moving material out of time periods and places that are no longer familiar or meaningful to them (and probably contain cultural references or messages that don't hold much weight), OR they like to give new life to the material by relating an older story to the modern or a different world and showing how its tales and characters still have relevance?

To many, "Annie" is sort of a joke, a safe kid's musical that merely serves as a launching pad for ambitious child actresses, BUT its Depression-era setting helps underline the wish-fulfillment aspect of it and the severe class divide between the haves and have-nots. I'm not expecting high art from this remake at all, but I don't think it's strange to set one in modern day NYC, where there's so much focus on the divide between the 99% and the 1%, between Harlem and Wall Street.

And good lord, get that stick out of your ass and have some imagination - it's okay if the original setting was "appropriate" to the material, but it's also okay to come up with new settings that are also "appropriate". Sheesh, do you get your panties in a twist every time someone creates an update to "Romeo & Juliet" and moves it out of 16th century Verona?

by Anonymousreply 3103/05/2014

R37, that was a bad trailer. I hope the movie's better.

by Anonymousreply 3203/05/2014

I saw this girl in some interviews when she was nominated for an Oscar and she's a little snot. Not a cute and charming kid at all.

by Anonymousreply 3303/05/2014

It's going to be a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 3403/05/2014

Are they bringing back zombie FDR?

by Anonymousreply 3503/05/2014

From the looks of the trailer, they will clean up on the Razzie Awards next year...maybe Will Smith's troll daughter would have been better. For a musical, they didn't showcase too many songs....hmmmm Can't wait for the reviews.

by Anonymousreply 3603/05/2014

A black Annie? What's next? A black Snow White?

by Anonymousreply 3703/05/2014
Need more help? Click Here.