Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think that the popularity of "Silver Linings Playbook" will decrease any of the stigma about mental illness?

I've had bipolar disorder for 30 years, which has been under control most of the time with the proper medication. I have told very few people about my diagnosis due to shame and stigma. I'm not ready to share it with anyone else right now, but I am wondering if the popularity of this movie might help towards decreasing stigma.

by Anonymousreply 2703/01/2013

Yes, Yes, No, No, No, Yes, No.

by Anonymousreply 102/25/2013

I love that cute guy

by Anonymousreply 202/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 302/25/2013

I thought it was about football...who knew?

by Anonymousreply 402/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 502/25/2013

It would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 602/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 702/25/2013

How much stigma can there be? Most people seem to be on some kind of mental illness/anti-depressant med already.

by Anonymousreply 802/25/2013

I liked the movie but it's not that popular. It's been in wide release for over 3 months and just barely passed the 100million mark.

by Anonymousreply 902/25/2013

r9, you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1002/25/2013

To expand on that, it's been in wide release since January 18th. Three months?

It's grossed $155 million on a $21 million budget. Plus, there was almost zero promotional budget since awards season pretty much did all of the work for the film.

So a small budget romantic drama making $155 is pretty big exposure.

It would be nice to see it have some kind of impact on changing the stigma attached to bipolar people.

Most people hear bipolar and they think sociopath and serial killer, so hopefully this film gives people a more human face.

by Anonymousreply 1102/25/2013

All I know is I saw it in theaters right after Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 1202/25/2013

With all the mass shootings?! No.

by Anonymousreply 1302/26/2013

OP, I don't think bipolar disorder is that big of a deal here anymore. If you know people that do, and would change their opinions on whether to hang out with you based on a fucking Bradley Cooper movie..well then..they probably have a slew of After School Specials to catch up on before they can learn that you're ok in other aspects of life too.

by Anonymousreply 1402/26/2013

Did Brokeback Mountain make any difference?

by Anonymousreply 1502/26/2013

Bipolars don't scare me as much as schizophrenics do. Bipolars tend to be more of a harm to themselves. Schizophrenics who are off their medication are psychotic and a danger to themselves AND society.

It's sad but I read that most bipolars go off their medication eventually and that is the period in which many attempt suicide.

by Anonymousreply 1602/26/2013

[quote]Did Brokeback Mountain make any difference?

by Anonymousreply 1702/26/2013

No, OP, I don't think the movie will decrease the stigma.

Many bipolar people behave oddly, have dramatic mood swings, and aren't always dependable.

by Anonymousreply 1802/26/2013

If you look like Bradley Cooper it will.

by Anonymousreply 1902/26/2013

"Bipolars don't scare me as much as schizophrenics do. "

It's the opposite with me, and I have to deal with these people as part of my job. Unmedicated schizophrenics aren't generally harmful to other people, they're too wrapped up in the hallucinations to get upset about the real world.

Unmedicated bipolars are much more likely to fuck you up. Not by being violent, that's rare, but they earn your trust by being perfectly normal, and one day they're playing in the traffic or spending your retirement savings in a week.

by Anonymousreply 2002/27/2013

Why do you need to tell anyone outside your inner circle about your illness? Unless there's a medical reason for others to know, there's no need to share. No need to be embarrassed about it, but no need to share.

Generally, people have their own problems and aren't particularly interested anyway, even if it's a big deal to you. Truly.

[quote]Most people hear bipolar and they think sociopath and serial killer, so hopefully this film gives people a more human face.

It's not true at all that 'most people' think that about bipolars (about schizophrenics, yes). People unfamiliar with the condition are more likely to downgrade its seriousness than fear those who suffer from it.

by Anonymousreply 2102/27/2013

r20's response is one of the reasons I am very secretive about my illness.

r21 - Not everyone in my inner circle knows about my illness. There have been times when I wish I could talk to a few of them about what I'm going through, but I keep it to myself.

There's a lot of support out there for people with socially acceptable illnesses. It wouldn't be such a bad thing to be able to even tell people about mine without worrying about backlash due to the stigma.

by Anonymousreply 2202/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 2302/28/2013

It would be kind of a lame means to make any needed progress with the issue. When one breaks the movie down, I can't really fathom why one would want it to speak for them in that capacity.

The fun dynamic created by the actors was perhaps a fresh take. The visual communication of mentally ill protagonists has been done before, and scripts that deal with (or give the appearance of dealing with) the same subject abound.

by Anonymousreply 2402/28/2013

No, but it brought Bradley Cooper and his likely new beard together.

by Anonymousreply 2502/28/2013

Movies like this don't open perceptions or assist a cause.

They're just an excuse for actors to chew scenery and manage successful Oscar bait.

Any disability-themed film, mental or physical, is just an ego boost for actors.

It doesn't "help" a thing, except a low-budget film's profit margin and the cast/crew's career.

by Anonymousreply 2603/01/2013

Bipolar is last year's autism. Which was last year's fibromyalgia, which was last years, multiple personality...

by Anonymousreply 2703/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!