Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Medical school admissions

I'm thinking about preparing for medical school. I'm two years into my undergraduate and my GPA is disastrously low. For those of you who have applied for medical school, are currently in medical school, or who have graduated from medical school, can you describe the process? What kind of a GPA do you need? What MCAT score do you need? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2102/25/2013

If your making crap grades now whats going to change to make you be able to pass if you were to get into medical school?

by Anonymousreply 102/24/2013

Why is your GPA so low?

by Anonymousreply 202/24/2013

This info is easily accessible online and also pretty well known but I'll try to help. A good MCAT is usually around a 30 (10s on each section) most M.D. schools want a GPA that is a 3.6 and above. Osteopathic medical schools (D.O.) want around a 3.2 gpa and a 25 MCAT.

Also you need good letters of recommendations and extracurricular and some clinical experience helps.

by Anonymousreply 302/24/2013

Wow, osteopathic medical schools have no standards.

by Anonymousreply 402/24/2013

Why the fuck do you want to be a doctor? Your entire personal life ruined by working insanely long hours. Plus getting inescapable debt.

Go into banking and become stockbroker thats where the money is, or better yet trade yourself online and make shits loads of money. Giovanni Borsi turned $800 into 8 million in a few weeks, look it up. Money and your time are the only things worth getting materially, not a shitty job.

The evil kremlin (aka banks, and investors) clearly know that working for peanuts is the idiots way of making money. Why work when you can legally rob eh?

by Anonymousreply 502/24/2013

Don't say that around Voice of the Night, r4.

by Anonymousreply 602/24/2013

[quote]Wow, osteopathic medical schools have no standards.

They have different standards.

[quote]For those of you who have applied for medical school, are currently in medical school, or who have graduated from medical school, can you describe the process?

Everybody's process is going to be a little different. If you're a sophomore and your GPA is disastrously low, you probably don't want to jump directly into the applicant pool. Med school applications go on a rolling admission, so the window opens every June, so you'll be judged on your GPA up through the end of your junior year. There's nothing that says that a low GPA can't be overcome, but it means you're going to need to work harder and allow it a little more time. I could never have gotten in with my first undergrad GPA, but I went back, kicked a little ass, and I'm starting as an OMS-I in August. My second alma mater put out stats of all of us who got in versus those who applied this cycle, and the GPA spread was somewhere between a 2.8 (that person must have kicked ass on the MCATs, is all I can figure) and a 3.7. MCAT scores went between 27-35.

There is a whole way that the application service weights your GPA that's a little different from the way your school does, but it's kind of involved, but I'll go into it if you want me to.

by Anonymousreply 702/24/2013

"There is a whole way that the application service weights your GPA that's a little different from the way your school does, but it's kind of involved, but I'll go into it if you want me to."

R7, please go into it. And do you think being Canadian will make it tougher for me to get into an American med school?

"This info is easily accessible online and also pretty well known but I'll try to help. A good MCAT is usually around a 30 (10s on each section) most M.D. schools want a GPA that is a 3.6 and above. Osteopathic medical schools (D.O.) want around a 3.2 gpa and a 25 MCAT.

Also you need good letters of recommendations and extracurricular and some clinical experience helps."

Thanks R3.

R2, it is because I was spending a sizeable chunk of studying trying to do with the emotional problems I had at the time. It's been dealt with (thank god).

by Anonymousreply 802/24/2013

Osteopathic medical schools are diploma mills. As long as you have a pulse, you can get into one.

by Anonymousreply 902/24/2013

R7 agree with everything you said. Also OP, osteopathic school admissions have grade replacement factored into GPA, meaning if you retake a class the higher grade replaces the lower grade.

Another thing, a last resort if when you graduate, your grades are low and you really want to show you can do the work, you can try a master's program, it's complicated to explain but they're programs offered by some med schools (DO and MD) that offer medical school level classes for students who want to show they're competitive. The downside is they're kind of expensive and only helpful if you do really well in them.

OP, if you really want to go into medicine think long and hard because as cynical as the post by R5 is it's still very true. It's a lot of hard work and stress and you have to love doing it to avoid burnout and exhaustion.

by Anonymousreply 1002/24/2013

"They have different standards."

How convenient. Here, let me help you with that...

"They have lower standards."

There. All better.

by Anonymousreply 1102/24/2013

The University of Phoenix just has different standards than Harvard! They're basically the same!

by Anonymousreply 1202/24/2013

If only there was some kind of way to look up this information, OP. A way to search out information just by typing a phrase or two into something like a giant repository of knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 1302/24/2013

[quote][R7], please go into it. And do you think being Canadian will make it tougher for me to get into an American med school?

I honestly don't know much about how it would work going across borders.

Okay, AACOMAS, the DO application service does grade replacement, so if you retake a class and get a higher grade, that higher grade is the one they consider. AMCAS, the MD service, takes the two grades and averages them. They both give you two separate scores, one that looks only at your biology, chemistry, and physics GPA, and one that looks at your total GPA. AMCAS adds in math courses to that as well.

Many schools have Medical Masters programs which are sort of backdoor admissions into their regular programs, but their application standards aren't that much more forgiving than the regular program. They're meant more for people who are just below the cut-off point for the regular acceptance.

[quote]Osteopathic medical schools are diploma mills. As long as you have a pulse, you can get into one.

No, those would be the Caribbean schools. Not to mention that the two disciplines are starting to merge, and probably would have already if the people in charge of the American Osteopathic Association weren't such dinosaurs.

But at the end of the day, I still get to do the job I want to do. I'm pretty happy with that.

by Anonymousreply 1402/24/2013

I see dental school in OP's future.

by Anonymousreply 1502/25/2013

[quote][[R7]], please go into it. And do you think being Canadian will make it tougher for me to get into an American med school?

Also, I don't know if the reverse is true, but for those of us who try to go to school on your side of the border, the only schools that accept American applicants are McMaster, U of T, and McGill.

Most of the public med schools in this country do show a geographical preference. Hell, UMass won't even take anyone who hasn't lived in Massachusetts for at least four years, which is technically against the law because they receive money from the federal government,

by Anonymousreply 1602/25/2013

You will see the standards starting to ease. Every physician I know is trying to get out of the industry. Originally, this was because of dealing with insurance companies and when you add the paperwork/administrative burden of Obamacare it is just too much. Many feel they are no longer truly practice medicine due to the legislative restrictions, insurance companies trying to dictate treatment, and of course every trailer park Joe wanting to sue at the drop of a hat. As the numbers of doctors starts to decline and applications to medical schools start to drop they will not be able to be as selective.

by Anonymousreply 1702/25/2013

PA is the way to go.

Much cheaper, much shorter time commitment.

The wave of the future.

by Anonymousreply 1802/25/2013

It's not that much cheaper and it's only a year shorter. I looked into it at first, but then I figured, what the hell.

They're also still pretty selective, because there are a lot fewer programs out there.

by Anonymousreply 1902/25/2013

OK.

by Anonymousreply 2002/25/2013

R18 Why do you want him to get a Prince Albert? Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 2102/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.