Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How would you grade Seff MacFarlane's hosting abilities?

What did we think of Seff's hosting? Too low brow? Not funny?

by Anonymousreply 6602/26/2013

He was terrible.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 102/24/2013

He said in an interview with EW that he was just too busy to host the show again.

by Anonymousreply 202/24/2013

Very bad hosting job.

by Anonymousreply 302/24/2013

He was awful. Worst Oscars ever. And all the surprises about who won didn't make up for that "eating shit at Auschwitz" joke.

by Anonymousreply 402/24/2013

He sucked, just like I knew he would. What a jackass.

by Anonymousreply 502/24/2013

He's now the permanent host.

by Anonymousreply 602/24/2013

Other than the Magic Mike opening musical number where he, Daniel Radcliffe and Gordon Love Levitt stripped to thongs and shook their moneymakers, it was just awful all around.

by Anonymousreply 702/24/2013

He was horrid;e! So nervous!! He was a big sweat ball and his songs sucked.

by Anonymousreply 802/24/2013

He was an embarrassment!

by Anonymousreply 902/24/2013

R7 JGL did the Magic Mike routine AGAIN? He already did that on SNL. Kind of tired now.

by Anonymousreply 1002/24/2013

Yeah, they did the Magic Mike routine AGAIN. So tired. It wasn't even a nominated movie.

by Anonymousreply 1102/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 1202/25/2013

from the NYTimes:

Jon Caramanica: "There is a difference between a host who knows how to align himself or herself amid a group of famous talents, and a human ego vapor who aspires to fill all the air in the room and in people’s lungs. The depth of MacFarlane’s flubbing is profound. Tone deaf jokes that touched on all the -isms. High self-regard and low self-awareness."

Dave Itzkoff: "I tried to enjoy the randomness of his shtick, at first, or at least give him the benefit of the doubt. But there was an undercurrent of mean-spiritedness that kept cropping up – jokes at the expense of ethnicity or people’s weight, for example – that plays better on “Family Guy” than it does at an Oscars ceremony."

by Anonymousreply 1302/25/2013

I rather liked the opening, with the stars singing and dancing and the gay men's chorus. When he showed up between awards to make jokes that fell flat he was awful, but that's true of every host that ever lived.

Better him than Billy Crystal, or any other old commedian I've seen in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 1402/25/2013

He's a cutie, I'd keep him. But, frankly, I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 1502/25/2013

I feel sorry for anyone who attempts to host that show. They get eviscerated the next day.

by Anonymousreply 1602/25/2013

What the hell was up with his hairline? DId they Sharpie it in?

by Anonymousreply 1702/25/2013

I thought he was great, even though I didn't watch the show.

by Anonymousreply 1802/25/2013

Gay men don't care what he said; so long as he was funny.

Hell, two years ago they loved James Franco here!

by Anonymousreply 1902/25/2013

Then you have no say, R18.

by Anonymousreply 2002/25/2013

[quote]But there was an undercurrent of mean-spiritedness that kept cropping up – jokes at the expense of ethnicity or people’s weight, for example – that plays better on “Family Guy” than it does at an Oscars ceremony.

WTF? What mean jokes did he make about people's ethnicity? This guy is way too sensitive.

by Anonymousreply 2102/25/2013

Seth MacFarlane was the best Oscar host in a long time. He was wonderful, engaging and funny. Have him back!

Great opening to the show too.

by Anonymousreply 2202/25/2013

[quote]WTF? What mean jokes did he make about people's ethnicity?

Jew jokes, for one.

by Anonymousreply 2302/25/2013

This is an impossible show to host. It's just too damn long! If they want an entertaining show, they need to cut out the other awards like best sound or best short documentary that no one else care about and doesn't get included in other shows. If they want to present these awards, just announce the winners so they can't make those long boring speeches.

No host can manage this cumbersome waste of space.

by Anonymousreply 2402/25/2013

Being host of the Oscars is an absolutely thankless job. Everyone is bashed for it. It's not the hosts, it's the show itself. The Oscars is corny and full of uptight people who don't want to laugh at themselves.

by Anonymousreply 2502/25/2013

I thought it was great. Most of the hosts have gotten horrible reviews.

by Anonymousreply 2602/25/2013

[quote]uptight people who don't want to laugh at themselves

And this is why the GG awards seem more fun.

by Anonymousreply 2702/25/2013

I thought his Jew joke was the only funny joke. He was otherwise too safe. I expected more. He was watered down and boring.

by Anonymousreply 2802/25/2013

He was passable.

He won't be asked back.

by Anonymousreply 2902/25/2013

He was great.

by Anonymousreply 3002/25/2013

I said it in the main thread, but I was a bit surprised what a dud he was when it came to being spontaneous. He couldn't improvise a single line, even when the situation begged for some kind of commentary.

Billy Crystal is way past it for sure r14, but at least he was relaxed and able to roll with the action.

I'll cut Seth a little slack because of all the technical fuckery with the sound throughout the show.

by Anonymousreply 3102/25/2013

I thought he wouldve been better if he didn't laugh at his own jokes and he plowed through the riskier material with gusto. Instead he flinched, which caused a lot of jokes to fall flat.

Still better than Franco!

by Anonymousreply 3202/25/2013

[quote]I feel sorry for anyone who attempts to host that show. They get eviscerated the next day.

No, they don't.

by Anonymousreply 3302/25/2013

[quote]Jew jokes, for one.

That's a religion, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 3402/25/2013

Actually, Seth was great. All the people complaining are the old, out of touch people who can't believe Seth was being disrespectful to this scared telecast. Boobs? Oh my! Barbara? Thank God that Goddress came and saved the Oscars. I was moved to tears.

by Anonymousreply 3502/25/2013

"Better him than Billy Crystal, or any other old commedian I've seen in recent years."

Seth will be forty this year. Not exactly a spring chicken himself.

I think he knew he was in over his head. That's why he made that comment to EW. Better for his massive ego to say that he has other things to do. Like the academy is going to invite him back next year anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3602/25/2013

I thought he was awful, both as a performer and as a writer. He's been working on this gig for months, but it looked like it was cobbled together last week. Amateurish.

by Anonymousreply 3702/25/2013

How is he not actually gay?

by Anonymousreply 3802/25/2013

Stick with Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 3902/25/2013

What r31 said about his inability to improvise and another poster who noted the months that McFarlane had to prepare and he still was amateurish and seemed unprepared.

Billy Crstal, in his prime, could run with any situation. A great example were his improvised jokes (and yes, I'm sure they were hastily written back stage and he didn't utter them off the top of his head) after Jack Palance, when he accepted his best supporting actor award, got down on the stage and did some push-ups. Crystal, to great hiarious effect, riffed on that throughout the broadcast

I blame the the basic format of show. I don't know how they should reformat it, but it's a dinosaur.

by Anonymousreply 4002/25/2013

[quote] Being host of the Oscars is an absolutely thankless job. Everyone is bashed for it.

by Anonymousreply 4102/25/2013

He applauded too often and way too loudly.

by Anonymousreply 4202/26/2013

Why are you calling him Seff?

by Anonymousreply 4302/26/2013

That "it's a thankless job" "always get bad reviews" is bull. There have been plenty of other hosts who have not bombed and have not been ripped to shreds (deserved). most recent Tina and Amy.

by Anonymousreply 4402/26/2013

He was awful. Absolutely horrible. This type of low brow, frat boy, lowest common denominator humor is so old and tired.

by Anonymousreply 4502/26/2013

Nothing would make you guys happy. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 4602/26/2013

He's strange. He seems to long for this era if glamour and civility, and yet he goes out of his way to fuck up any chance we might have to bring even a little of that back with his shitty fratboy humor.

by Anonymousreply 4702/26/2013

Who made the comment that Seth would be with the Gay Men's Chorus next year?

by Anonymousreply 4802/26/2013

He was a lot better than the press gave him credit for, The worst part of the night were the horrible hallmark sycophantic acceptance speeches.

The Argo and Django Unchained speeches were the worst.

Ang Lee and Adele were the best.

Naomi Watts was brilliant during the staged Boob song.

by Anonymousreply 4902/26/2013

What do DLers think of William Shatner as a potential host? I think he would be great. He's funny, quirky and can laugh at himself. The ratings would be phenomenal. I thought he was the second best thing on the show after Streisand. (Maybe a thread of it's own anyone?)

by Anonymousreply 5002/26/2013

omg! Not "jews jokes" at the Oscars , why it's just not done never ever ever.

My God "jew jokes" at the Oscars...

by Anonymousreply 5102/26/2013

BTW who do you think writes all those "jew jokes"?

Must be those damned Belgiums, who secretly control Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 5202/26/2013

Loved the nod to THE SOUND OF MUSIC joke.

by Anonymousreply 5302/26/2013

He was beyond inept. No star power, no class, not funny at all - and I love "Family Guy"!

He seems to think a lot of himself.

by Anonymousreply 5402/26/2013

I like some of his shows, so I'm not a "hater," but I thought he was mostly meh - and at times outright terrible. His humor might have had more "bite" if he wasn't constantly laughing at his own dumb jokes.

by Anonymousreply 5502/26/2013

Did Seth write the whole show as well as host?

I always thought they had teams of writers working months in advance, and even writing new jokes as the show was being broadcast .....

by Anonymousreply 5602/26/2013

I liked him.

by Anonymousreply 5702/26/2013

Get rid of the song and dance numbers. It's the Oscars, not the Tonys. The vast majority of movies aren't musicals. The vast majority of songs nominated for an Oscar aren't any good. We shouldnt't have to sit through so much craptacular singing and dancing.

by Anonymousreply 5802/26/2013

The genius of "We Saw Your Boobs" is that this is priority #1 for the majority of the straight male movie-going public in choosing any movie with a female lead. Otherwise it's a chick flick.

And yes, that includes The Accused or Monster. Story? Cinematography? Nope.

"Does she show her tits?" "OK, two for Revolutionary Road"

by Anonymousreply 5902/26/2013

Love the awakward pause and look reaction of Seth after Shatner's line that in 2015 Seth will be joining the Gay Men's chorus.

Seth's humor works, because a big part of his humor comes from making fun of himself (or his movie Ted). Same goes for D-listed blogger Michael K. When you don't take yourself too serious your jokes at others expense look less mean and bitter and more teasing and good natured instead.

by Anonymousreply 6002/26/2013

He gets a B-.

What he did show from time to time is an ease with hosting that Carson had. He should get another shot but go back and watch some of the shows Carson hosted. I don't want a carbon copy or bad imitation. He should be his own person, but see how well a certain casual cool works for this mess. A bit of detachment goes a long way.

He showed a lot of promise.

by Anonymousreply 6102/26/2013

"Love the awakward pause and look reaction of Seth after Shatner's line that in 2015 Seth will be joining the Gay Men's chorus"

That was obviously scripted, rehearsed and approved by MacFarlane. He's obviously not homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 6202/26/2013

His forte is mean-spirited, juvenile, bad taste humor geared toward young males. That might go over well on a cartoon show, but it doesn't work for an Academy Awards presentation.

I don't think I've ever heard a collective groan of disapproval on an Academy Awards show like the one the audience gave him for his Lincoln joke. It was Family Guy humor...and it BOMBED. Big time. But what did people expect from him? That's what he DOES.

by Anonymousreply 6302/26/2013

I cringed with embarrasment multiple times during the broadcast. I tend to like his brand of humor and I love his shows, but for the most part he bombed. He just isn't polished enough to host a show like this. If his delivery was better I think many of his just could have worked.

by Anonymousreply 6402/26/2013

R3, R7, R9, R11, R12, and R13 and a few others are negative reviews

R30 and R35 are positive reviews

By the same person.

by Anonymousreply 6502/26/2013

As I posted on the other thread, I love Seth's humor. I'm a long time Family Guy fan. I also like American Dad. However, I found his humor during the Oscars very offensive on many different levels and I don't offend easily.

by Anonymousreply 6602/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!