Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Admit it: the Oscar ceremonies are always more fun directly proportional to how bad they are

Face it, the ones in history you remember most fondly are the train wrecks: Snow White and Rob Lowe dancing to "Proud Mary"; James Franco hosting while stoned out of his mind, making Anne Hathaway try to compensate by being hatefully perky; Sally Field's "You like me!" speech; "I want to introduce Oprah to Uma, and Uma to Oprah..."; Bjork's swan dress...

You don't remember the more tasteful ceremonies or the funnier and more competent hosts at all, because they were unmemorable.

You want to watch them because you're hoping it will be another train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 802/24/2013

What do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 102/24/2013

I don't think Liz was ever visibly drunk at the Oscars--her "GLAAAAAADIATOR!" moment was at the Golden Globes.

There was the tasteless moment that one year when she wore the stunning yellow dress and referred to the recently dead Audrey Hepburn as "Dear departed Audrey," however.

by Anonymousreply 202/24/2013

Not true, OP. Nothing ruins this show more than a boring host. The year Franco/Hathaway hosted it was a train wreck but not one that you wanted to watch. I still remember the first time Billy Crystal hosted the Grammys. The show was so much fun and fast paced and he was charming, funny and innovative. He is also remembered fondly for his Oscar hosting, last year being an anomaly. I have a good feeling about Seth McFarland. Like Crystal, he is genuinely talented and doesn't give a shit what the A-listers think. He won't be an asshole like Gervais but he will get in a few subtle digs at the staaahs expense. And he does funny voices and impressions. Also a plus as host. And he can sing. Here's hoping he kills.

by Anonymousreply 302/24/2013

I miss the "OMG - I thought he/she was dead" segments.

They'd drag out some poor soul with barely a pulse. Who is left? Kirk, Luise, Olivia?

by Anonymousreply 402/24/2013

Nah, my favorite moments are when a winner freaks out.

by Anonymousreply 502/24/2013

OP, you do have a point. I planned on avoiding the 2011 Oscars because I can't stand James Franco and Anne Hathaway....and that particular year, an undeserving Natalie Portman was set to be the belle of the ball...however, James and Anne were so horrible (and the commentary on DL was so biting) that I ended up watching from beginning to end.

by Anonymousreply 602/24/2013

Liz was smashed the year she presented Best picture to The Sting.

by Anonymousreply 702/24/2013

Who will be drunk and/or stoned tonight?

by Anonymousreply 802/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!