Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Career-wrecking statements made by celebrities

What happened to the dixie chicks after that statement that they are ashamed that Bush was from Texas?

Rosie O'Donnell was ruined by uttering racial slurs. Sharon Stone as well.

The guy that starred as Jesus in a film about God was also ruined by uttering something offensive race-wise.

by Anonymousreply 12207/07/2013

Fat fug bitch Melissa Joan Hart saying she hoped Farrah didn't die that week and knock her off the cover of People magazine. She was a repulsive twat anyhow but that was really offensive.

Tommy Hilfiger supposedly saying (I think to Oprah of all people) that if he had known his clothes would be so popular with black people he never would have started the clothing line. I remember hearing that all the time about him but don't think it's true.

by Anonymousreply 102/24/2013

Oprah herself said she had never had Tommy Hilfiger on her show, never mind him telling her something so racist.

Mel Gibson: I don't even need to explain that one.

by Anonymousreply 202/24/2013

What did Sharon Stone say? I assumed her career went south because she starred in so many bombs.

by Anonymousreply 302/24/2013

Lol, thank you r2, I am glad it wasn't just my circle of friends that heard that TH rumor. I didn't know Oprah had spoken about it. I bet Ralph Lauren started it.

by Anonymousreply 402/24/2013

That guy who played Kramer on Seinfeld said something racially offensive and he's pretty much disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 502/24/2013

Radio interviewer: What are you wearing right now?

Travis Fimmel: A shirt that says 'God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve'.

by Anonymousreply 602/24/2013

Rosie's career was hardly ruined by her "Ching Chong" joke, nor was it racist.

by Anonymousreply 702/24/2013

The N-word, for illiterates.

by Anonymousreply 802/24/2013

Everything Elia Kazan did/said about his so-called friends.

by Anonymousreply 902/24/2013

Dr. Laura and her n-word rant.

by Anonymousreply 1002/24/2013

Donna Summer's alleged anti-gay remarks, which she always denied saying but the rumors persisted and many people believed she actually said them.

Her career never really recovered after that.

by Anonymousreply 1102/24/2013

Imus the dipshit and his thug girls statements.

by Anonymousreply 1202/24/2013

The sad and tragic story of jockey-turned-Revlon spokeswoman-turned KKK member Mary Bacon:

by Anonymousreply 1302/24/2013

John Galliano and his pro-Hitler comment that was secretly recorded.

by Anonymousreply 1402/24/2013

Four years after the Bush comment, the Dixie Chicks won Grammys for Album of the Year, Record of the Year, and Song of the Year.

by Anonymousreply 1502/24/2013

[quote] That guy who played Kramer on Seinfeld said something racially offensive and he's pretty much disappeared.

He's been on Curb Your Enthusiasm and spoofed racism.

Really, there's not much for him to do acting-wise. He'll always be Kramer.

by Anonymousreply 1602/24/2013

Mitt Romney - 47%

by Anonymousreply 1702/24/2013

Princess Michael of Kent making snarky racist remarks at a posh restaurant in NYC in 2004. U.K. papers headline her stories with the nickname Princess Pushy. She's no longer welcome at most places in the colonies.

by Anonymousreply 1802/24/2013

I never liked the Dixie Chicks but they really got lame when they and a bunch of other celebs (like washed up Eddie Vedder) all jumped on the free the WM3 bandwagon. I don't even want to argue about their innocence and know they are free now but Margaret Cho and Eddie Vedder really looked like starstruck idiots with their cozying up to the oh-so-cool Damian Ecchols and his stupid dark glasses.

by Anonymousreply 1902/24/2013

Linda Evangelista won't even get out of bed for less than 10,000 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 2002/24/2013

Everything out of Katherine Heigl's stupid fucking mouth, particularly "'Grey's Anatomy's writing sucked, so please don't nominate me for an Emmy!"

by Anonymousreply 2102/24/2013

The Dixie Chicks might have won Grammies after their comment, but their commercial career was pretty much over after that.

by Anonymousreply 2202/24/2013

R19,Eddie Vedder is not washed-up!

by Anonymousreply 2402/24/2013

Rosie's comments may not have been deliberately racist, R7, but it definitely was pejorative, and showed a whole lot of white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 2502/24/2013

Paris Hilton lost her few remaining fans when she was recorded using the N-word. Then the "all gay guys are sluts with AIDS" debacle. Not a moment too soon. She is an ugly, hateful person.

Mel Gibson.

Agree about the Dixie Chicks. They were right, but then they became martyrs to their own cause, and everyone forgot about them.

Rosie has burnt so many bridges, but she never goes away completely.

Brett Butler: not one statement, but basically every public appearance/story about her destroyed her career.

And I know the G&L community is divided over Jodie. But I think her GG speech just confused and alienated most viewers.

by Anonymousreply 2602/24/2013

Eddie Vedder's solo career is... where, exactly? Did anyone buy the ukulele album?

by Anonymousreply 2702/24/2013

"I'll do it."

by Anonymousreply 2802/24/2013

I never knew who Eddie Vedder was in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 3002/24/2013

Jesse Jackson's "Hymietown"

Al Sharpton's "If the Jews want to get it on, tell them to pin their yarmulkes back and come over to my house"

by Anonymousreply 3102/24/2013

And they were never heard from again r15.

Their grammys were pure political nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 3202/24/2013

r23I don't really know anything about it but I remember him being shunned at the Oscars or something in the 80's and hearing that he had really screwed his career by talking about his friends years ago. I think he was also a Polanski supporter. Anyhow, he really screwed himself, just like the thread says.

by Anonymousreply 3302/24/2013

I LOVED "Who died and made Ed Koch king of the Jews?"

by Anonymousreply 3402/24/2013

*RRRRRip*

by Anonymousreply 3502/24/2013

47%!

by Anonymousreply 3602/24/2013

r36, meet r17, less than 20 posts away.

by Anonymousreply 3702/24/2013

Leona Helmsley was probably never well liked but her telling the bellhop he should have kept his pants on and not had so many kids really pissed people off. And her tax evasion.

by Anonymousreply 3802/24/2013

Crack is Whack!

by Anonymousreply 3902/24/2013

[quote]Everything out of Katherine Heigl's stupid fucking mouth, particularly "'Grey's Anatomy's writing sucked, so please don't nominate me for an Emmy!"

I have not watched one Heigl film, since that stupid statement. It's the perfect impediment of "Don't bite the hand that feeds you".

What an ungrateful woman.

by Anonymousreply 4002/24/2013

Todd Akin's expert opinion about women's birth control mechanism when they get raped.

by Anonymousreply 4102/24/2013

Fascinating, R13. Thanks for posting that.

by Anonymousreply 4202/24/2013

Speaking of Grey's, Isiah Washington was never heard from again after his remarks. I read that he is now "working offscreen" yeah, no shit, he can't get hired.

by Anonymousreply 4302/24/2013

I forgot about Leona Helmsley. Her "taxes are for the little people" quote was a big story in the press at the time and she was reviled for it.

by Anonymousreply 4402/24/2013

r38, she did have a career-dooming catch phrase as well.

by Anonymousreply 4502/24/2013

Leona Helmsley was ahead of her time.

by Anonymousreply 4602/24/2013

I wouldn't even say it was pejorative, R25. Chinese sounds funny to English speakers, was there really any other point to her joke? Would it be pejorative if a Chinese comedian made fun of the English language? Why not just acknowledge the differences and allow people to laugh at what they find funny without it meaning anything more?

No one makes a peep when people do exaggerated German or French accents, even though those are certainly more of a cliche.

by Anonymousreply 4702/24/2013

I was going to say "it wasn't RAPE rape", but that hasn't slowed Whoopi down one bit.

by Anonymousreply 4802/24/2013

I guess Al Sharpton is back now but his Tawana Brawley support and statements really screwed him for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 4902/24/2013

Michael Richards is doing a new show with Kirstie Alley for TV Land. I definitely will not be watching.

by Anonymousreply 5002/24/2013

Thanks for reminding me r44 r45, I forgot all about the little people thing..wow.

by Anonymousreply 5102/24/2013

I like Whoopi, but she has said/done some tremendously dumb things in her time. Remember Ted Danson serenading her in blackface?

She's teflon. I guess it's her basic likeability. But I don't take her views seriously on anything.

by Anonymousreply 5202/24/2013

"I want to explore film opportunities"

by Anonymousreply 5302/24/2013

"I want to sing!"

by Anonymousreply 5402/24/2013

At least Sharpton and Jesse Jackson were shut down and kept away from being involved in President Obama's election campaigns - they would have alienated lots of white voters I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 5502/24/2013

Speaking of Whoopi, her oscar peek-a-boo dress photo hasn't re-surfaced yet this year. It could be included in career-wrecking outfits.

by Anonymousreply 5602/24/2013

"I want to be Dorothy!"

by Anonymousreply 5702/24/2013

Just get them out, there are children being abused in there!

by Anonymousreply 5802/24/2013

"One more little bump couldn't hurt."

by Anonymousreply 5902/24/2013

Most of these are really horrible examples. Rosie? That didn't end her career. Most don't even remember it. Jodie? Mary! Come on. Majority of the straights $ have been very supportive and even the comedians havent been that hard on her. one hit movie and it will be forgotten. this is the woman who survived Regan shooting, It's going to take more then confusion to erase a nearly 50 year career. Dixie chicks were damaged but they haven't lost there career. There still going strong with critics and their real country fans.

Only good examples are Mel, guy who played Kramer, Dr. Laura and Tommy H. because its become something that's been associated with his brand.

by Anonymousreply 6002/24/2013

Ted Casablanca's BI that accidently included Jeremy Renner's first name.

by Anonymousreply 6102/24/2013

Yes, R61, and the Toothy Tile nonsense. Ted was a drunk who had been phoning it in for years.

by Anonymousreply 6202/24/2013

Bullshit, r60.

Natalie Maines and the Dixie Chicks own a huge chunk of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6302/24/2013

R53,R54,R57,this is a thread about infamous statements that ruined someones reputation and career,the thread about the most wrongheaded decisions in entertainment history was last year.

by Anonymousreply 6402/24/2013

Janeane Garofolo was hurt by her political statements as well.

by Anonymousreply 6502/24/2013

Michael Richards (Kramer) probably couldn't care less if he never works again. He's made more money than he could spend in 10 lifetimes. I never got the impression he was that interested in celebrity anyway.

by Anonymousreply 6602/24/2013

Let them eat cake!

by Anonymousreply 6702/24/2013

[quote]Rosie O'Donnell was ruined by uttering racial slurs.

They're you're wrong. She bounced back from that. The only people who remember "Danny de Vito ching chong ching chong!" are really only other Dataloungers.

No, the remark that actually ruined Rosie O'Donnell's career was "LIARS GET CANCER!" on that poor employee's answering machine. That's when the tide really turned against her. And what made it worse was that she initially firmly denied on national television ever saying that (and she had to recant once it was revealed the woman had kept the message).

by Anonymousreply 6802/24/2013

The chicks were the hottest thing in country music.... and then the bottom just fell out.

That was the end of their milestone "chick feet" tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 6902/24/2013

[quote]I never liked the Dixie Chicks but they really got lame when they and a bunch of other celebs (like washed up Eddie Vedder) all jumped on the free the WM3 bandwagon.

So they're lame because they used their celebrity platform to help some people out? Wow, you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 7002/24/2013

Israeli Jews should get the hell out of Palestine and go home to Poland!

by Anonymousreply 7102/24/2013

[quote]Elia Kazan's friends were Stalinists who tried to control the film and theatre communities at the orders of a foreign government,

I'm sure you've got really well-documented evidence to prove that foreign governments [bold]deeply[/bold] cared about controlling America's theatre productions.

"Da, those stupid Americans will be OURS to command once they've all seen the secret propaganda we've worked into this revival production of J. M. Barrie's ALICE-SIT-BY-THE-FIRE starring Comrade Helen Hayes!"

by Anonymousreply 7202/24/2013

Sure, I'm an idiot. And they only supported WM3 because Johnny Depp did and because of the rock and roll persona of Damian Ecchols. I don't see them standing up for any innocents that aren't trendy.

by Anonymousreply 7302/24/2013

Janet Jackson apologizing for the "wardrobe malfunction" after the Super Bowl. She should have stood her ground and defended herself instead of wimping out. Her career has never been the same since.

by Anonymousreply 7402/24/2013

[quote]Michael Richards is doing a new show with Kirstie Alley for TV Land. I definitely will not be watching.

Honey, NOBODY will be watching that shit. Can't stand either one of those loudmouths.

by Anonymousreply 7502/24/2013

r74, you in danger, gurl!

by Anonymousreply 7602/24/2013

[quote]Elia Kazan's friends were Stalinists who tried to control the film and theatre communities at the orders of a foreign government,

This should read:

Elia Kazan's victims were deluded Stalinists who tried to control the film and theatre communities in hopes of pleasing a foreign government.

No doubt they were bullies -- as Budd Schulberg noted, but no more so than their grandchildren who now all work as fundraisers.

by Anonymousreply 7702/24/2013

Oh God... Now you've done it, R74.

by Anonymousreply 7802/24/2013

HIT THE DECK!

by Anonymousreply 7902/24/2013

"I have slept in the bed with many children...Macauly Culkin would sleep on one side and Keiron on the other...we'd all jam the bed! People who are worried about (a 44-year-old man sleeping with little children) are ignorant! Wouldn't you share your bed with a child who needs love that he isn't getting and didn't have a childhood? I would!"

--Michael "King of Pop" Jackson, 10 years after dodging the major bullet of his first accusation/payoff.

by Anonymousreply 8002/24/2013

The Superbowl controversy (which was bullshit to begin with) did hurt Janet, but she was also turning 40 and that's what really sent her career into decline. There are really no over-40 pop stars who are stil relevant on the Hot 100 anymore, except for Madonna and even she's not what she once was.

by Anonymousreply 8202/24/2013

I would LOVE to produce the Oscars!

by Anonymousreply 8302/24/2013

[quote] Janet Jackson apologizing for the "wardrobe malfunction" after the Super Bowl. She should have stood her ground and defended herself instead of wimping out. Her career has never been the same since.

There's no question that the Super Bowl incident affected her career.

It's a shame Justin Timberlake's handling of the incident didn't bring up more sustained discussions of what that said about racial divide in our country. The white dude gets off scot-free, while Janet paid dearly for it. It may have been his handlers, but it's simply undeniable that it had almost no effect on his career.

Part of the issue with Janet's subsequent releases is that she is in a period of transition. I hope (and I have expressed this to Janbot before!) that she does something a little more "adult" but still essentially Janet. The jazz inflected music in chilltracks - think Zero 7 - would be a perfect match. If she did that I bet she'd have an astonishing renaissance.

by Anonymousreply 8402/24/2013

I agree with r74. Timberlake walked away from it, but Janet never truly recovered.

Ellen coming out would have ended her career had she not handled the post 911 Emmys so deftly. CBS got her to host because she had a new show - the show flopped, but Ellen won the audience back over.

by Anonymousreply 8502/24/2013

"That ought to hold the little SOBs." - Gabbo

by Anonymousreply 8602/24/2013

[quote]The Superbowl controversy (which was bullshit to begin with) did hurt Janet, but she was also turning 40 and that's what really sent her career into decline. There are really no over-40 pop stars who are still relevant on the Hot 100 anymore, except for Madonna and even she's not what she once was.

I think it's a chicken/egg conundrum. Is it the crazy shit a celebrity says that destroys his career, or is it the desperation of a star with a career already in decline that causes him to say crazy shit in order to garner attention (whether intentional or not)that does it?

by Anonymousreply 8702/24/2013

BOBBAY, BOBBAY!

by Anonymousreply 8802/24/2013

Gilbert Gottfried's remarks about Japan lost him a lot of money as the Aflac duck.

by Anonymousreply 8902/24/2013

I notice Emma Thompson has been a little quiet since mouthing off. Heh.

by Anonymousreply 9002/24/2013

Rush Limbaugh's short stint on ESPN, in which he said Donovan McNabb was talented but overrated because he's black. He was quickly canned.

Mel Gibson's drunken tirade about Jews.

Nancy Kerrigan, America's ice-skating sweetheart, muttering sotto voce about her competitors' crying.

by Anonymousreply 9102/24/2013

"I can't wait to flash my tits and twat in the new Joe Eszterhas movie! It's gonna make me a huge star!"

by Anonymousreply 9202/24/2013

After catching just a quick glimpse of Whitney's reality series, people instantly knew that she was mentally ill and a lost cause.

by Anonymousreply 9302/24/2013

R86, although that was a Simpsons episode, it was based on Uncle Don, who said almost precisely the same thing at the tail end of his children's radio show in the 30's.

by Anonymousreply 9402/24/2013

R21 / R40 - I know no one remembers this now, but many years ago when Jessica Biel was a teenage actress on the show 7th Heaven, she made a bunch of public statements about how much she loathed her character on that show, including saying "I'd kicking her fucking ass."

It was some teenage rebellion type of thing that was supposed to show people that she was ready for more "mature" roles (in her own words), although it backfired from a PR perspective. 7th Heaven was a god awful, cheesy show, but it still didn't say anything good about such a young actress to bad mouth the the first thing that gave her any exposure in the first place.

Obviously it didn't "hurt" her career too much in the long run - I don't think she's working too much these days, but she did marry that closeted Timberfake, so I guess she accomplished at least one of the things she set out to do.

by Anonymousreply 9502/24/2013

"This is the first time that i had an idiot for an engineer.: -- Gov. Thomas Dewey, ten days before the 1948 election

Jimmy the Greek's comments about the swimming abilities of African-Americans

"Nappy heads" -- Don Imus

by Anonymousreply 9602/24/2013

Tom Cruise comments about anti depressant drugs.

by Anonymousreply 9702/24/2013

Oh I forgot all about that r97. Didn't he go after Brooke Shields too? What a fool.

by Anonymousreply 9802/24/2013

[quote]Tom Cruise comments about anti depressant drugs.

Wow! That really wrecked his career. He hasn't been seen since then. I wonder what he's doing these days.

by Anonymousreply 9902/24/2013

Not a statement, but Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah's couch claiming to be madly in love.

by Anonymousreply 10002/24/2013

Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah's couch. He may still make movies but even the fraus are saying he's "hiding" something and a major weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 10102/24/2013

[quote]although that was a Simpsons episode, it was based on Uncle Don, who said almost precisely the same thing at the tail end of his children's radio show in the 30's.

Urban legend. His show was on past the 30s, to 1947.

For decades, a widespread rumor claimed that one night Uncle Don had inadvertently spoken into an open microphone, saying "There! That ought to hold the little bastards." However, this has been debunked as untrue. The rumor was later resurrected in the 1950s, when an audio recording of the mistake turned up on a Kermit Schaefer Bloopers album. This was later shown to be a fake recreation.

by Anonymousreply 10202/24/2013

WEHT Tom Cruise? He hasn't been heard from since he jumped on Oprah's couch.

Career-wrecking, indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10302/24/2013

R104 is a moron who is unable to comprehend the meaning of "career-wrecking." Cruise is a horse's ass/cult leader whose career is still earning him millions of dollars while 104 is an idiot who jacks off in his mother's basement apartment while watching a video of Tammy dancing in his underwear in Risky Business.

by Anonymousreply 10502/24/2013

R95 Those comments had absolutely no effect on Jessica Biel's career: she went on to be the female lead in at least 10+ studio films. Definitely not a bad career coming from a show like 7th Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 10602/24/2013

[quote]Michael Richards (Kramer) probably couldn't care less if he never works again. He's made more money than he could spend in 10 lifetimes. I never got the impression he was that interested in celebrity anyway.

I don't know about that, R66. After he made his racist slurs during that bit, the guy responded by saying that he was nothing without Seinfeld, and Richards said something like "You're right, I'm just a wash up, gotta stand up on the stage." It struck me from that comment that he never completely got over going from that brief interval of huge fame to being yesterday's news overnight.

Of course, I don't know; it's not like I know the guy personally. But that comment and his ensuing attempt to save his ass on Letterman led me to believe that something more was going on with him mentally.

by Anonymousreply 10702/24/2013

"I'd love to host the Oscars!"

by Anonymousreply 10802/24/2013

What about this statement?

by Anonymousreply 10902/24/2013

Ted Cruz -- "Harvard Law is full of Communists."

R81 = Ted Cruz's butt boy.

If the Stalinists had any influence at all on what got made in the entertainment world, which is doubtful, you cite only one example of what might have been braggadocio, the damage McCarthyism did was Incalculably greater and continues today.

The union movement has never recovered from the Red-baiting that threw out socialist and communists. With militants gone, the union careerists took the organizations into the Democratic Party, turning their union offices into sinecures.

Instead of having a union movement that fought for working people first, we got a union movement that cuts deals with the Democrats.

If they would do that, they could cut deals with the Republicans, and Nixon knew it. He split the movement, recruiting union support for the Vietnam War.

The left membership would have made a fight for labor action independent of party politics, but McCarthyism eliminated them and often the unions themselves.

That sealed the fate of the independent labor movement. Once the politicians saw unions could be bought as well as split, Carter (a Democrat!) was able to invoke Taft Hartley against the miners without fear of a general strike, and Reagan could bust PATCO.

Here we are, with no unions and no middle class.

As to academia, McCarthyism hit the campuses hard. There are still virtually no hard-left members on campus, and the ones who are know which side is buttered. If they want tenure, they don't write books on building an independent, militant union movement.

Here's a place to start -- "The Man Who Hated Work and Loved Labor: The Life and Times of Tony Mazzocchi." From Bensonhurst, he helped Karen Silkwood get started in union work.

by Anonymousreply 11002/25/2013

I love you, r10.

by Anonymousreply 11102/25/2013

r111, here. R10, I don't really love you. It was just that in the heat of the moment, I mis-spoke.

R110, it's you I really love.

by Anonymousreply 11202/25/2013

If you're sceptical about Stalinists' influence in Hollywood, r110, read about John Howard Lawson, one of the "Hollywood Ten".

Of course you would use the term McCarthyism. Kazan testified before HUAC, not before McCarthy. Two very different beasts.

McCarthy couldn't tell the difference between a Stalinist and a New Deal liberal. That's why he's the best thing that could have happened to the Stalinists' apologists like yourself, because now they can pretend that everyone who was investigated by HUAC was as harmless as the most innocent target of the paranoid McCarthy.

McCarthy was comparatively quickly discredited, and when he was discredited, he was discredited thoroughly. To say that MCarthyism has any impact on American universities today is one of the silliest things I've ever heard. Even sillier than the idea that they aren't sufficiently leftist.

And then you go even further and equate the internal rebellion of unionists and Socialists against their infiltration by Stalinists with McCarthyism as well. Opposition to the USSR led to numerous splits in Socialist parties in the 30s already - long before McCarthy or Nixon. That's because there were principled Socialists like Max Shachtman, who were not just anti-capitalist but also anti-totalitarian. And in the 60s, it were the anti-Communists like Michael Harrington and Tom Kahn who wanted to fight for working people first - whereas the New Leftists like Tom Hayden just wanted to fight for Moscow, pretending to be "anti-imperialist" when in realiy they were just taking the side of another empire, thus alienating the left from the unions. And yes, some anti-Communist Socialists ended up working with Nixon because they were digusted by that, but others, like Harrington, one of America's most important Socialist thinkers, ended up on his "enemy list".

Do you actually think that someone like Bayard Rustin, of all people, was just a puppet of Nixon, rather than acting out of his principled, social democratic anti-Communism? I bet you think George Orwell was a "McCarthyite" as well.

With your simplistic black-and-white thinking, [italic]you[/italic] are the true child of McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 11302/25/2013

Stalinism.

If it means anything other than a slur: "You are a dirty commie pinko who hates the US," has to have a more precise meaning. That is unless you are doing a junior high school analysis -- "There is our democracy and slavery. If you don't like they way we are doing go somewhere else, all the other countries are dictatorships," a la Jean Kilpatrick.

Stalinists were members of the CP until the Kruschev Secret Speech.The dedicated Stalinists remained in the CP, the ones who couldn't stomach his actions, became apolitical, or formed irrelevant sects like PLP, Workers' World or did stuff in support of Albania. Mao, et.

The Stalinists stayed in the CP which continued to denounce socialist organizing here because it might harm the Soviet Union or other movements in other countries, Cuba, e.g.

In accord with that non-confrontational attitude, they had advocated reformist/electoral politics for years, they entered the Democratic Party in the early 80s because that was a natural home for their sort of non-confrontational organizing.

You have heard the joke:

Q Where do social activist go when they die?

A They become zombie phone bank operators for the Democratic Party.

That's what the CP does today -- it's sort of the AFL-CIO presence in the Democratic Party.

I have always advocated independent political action based in the working class and with a view towards creating a political party that has as its purpose, independent defense of working people, independent of the Democrats. Think the Labour Party in Great Britain 30 years ago.

Stalinists had our kind shot from the 30s on, in Russia and then in Spain.

Stalin was a blight on humanity since he seized power in the mid 1920s, destroying the gains of the Bolsheviks. HIs socialism in one country would never work unless the one country is an island, and even then it is a close thing.

The anti-was movement and the civil rights movement had much more to do with independent left support from the Trotskists as well as a tremendous upsurge of black activism in the South at the local level in the civil rights movement.

The CP played a part, but again, it wanted everything directed back to the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party went along only because it was forced to. Martin Luther King to LBJ: "I don't know how much longer I can hold my people back."

McCarthyism and HUAC , and the Marshall Plan for that matter, had the same goal -- to marginalize any left activity against the capitalist state in the streets and to intimidate any intellectual support. "There is no alternative," is the way Thatcher put it.

There was to be no repeat of 1917 after World War II. No one would permit anybody who thought or talked or wrote along those lines employment, raises, promotions, government jobs, and certainly not union positions.They could not publish.

"You are to talk of nothing different, you are to say nothing different, this is all that can be, this is all that shall be."

Capitalism (they prefer free enterprise) is not a human process but an economic system handed down from God on high.

Not that this is unusual, mind. No regime will permit organizations who advocate its overthrow access to any public position or forum if it can help it.

You can see that attitude often in this forum: "Loon. Die in a grease fire, Marxist (meant as a slur, not a compliment), etc."

As for Shachtman, he refused to condemn the Bay of Pigs invasion, he refused to demand troop withdrawal from Vietnam. He went so far to the right that he refused to support McGovern, leaving his natural home, the Democratic Party behind. Enough said.

Orwell is a personal hero. His support of the Spanish Revolution in "Homage to Catalonia" is a masterpiece. He criticized the state, law, religion, charity, public schools, and political parties from the left eloquently.

We need more journalists like him, people like John Reed, at the head of the list, obviously, Also, Ida Minerva Tarbell, Ferdinand Lundberg, Dan La Botz, Doug Henwood, Carl Finamore, Matt Taibbi, and others.

by Anonymousreply 11402/26/2013

A few weeks ago I would have posted about Megan Fox and her Hitler comment about Michael Bay. But I guess they are working together again for a Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtle movie of all things.

by Anonymousreply 11502/26/2013

I thought people hugely overreacted to Megan Fox's statement. To me it illustrated how strictly "starlets" are expected to shut up and be pretty when that rather mild complaint was blown up into this huge drama of entitlement and lack of "gratitude'" especially since it was a likely accurate snapshot of what an asshole Bey is.

by Anonymousreply 11602/26/2013

It wasn't just one thing that destroyed Rosie O'Donnell's career. It was a series of things. In all cases, it was her big mouth that lost her audience. The 'Ching Chong' jokes, the pretending to be straight for most of her career (and swooning over her 'boyfriend', Tom Cruise), etc.

I think the tide really turned against her (it did with me), when she lambasted and ambushed Tom Selleck on her then-failing show. It was so unprofessional in so many ways. Regardless of how you feel about guns, Selleck, by all accounts, is a decent guy and a generous person and he did not deserve that. I know people who worked with him on 'Magnum, P.I.' who love that man. They say he truly is one of the few good men in Hollywood.

Would Rosie have welcomed John Travolta on her show and instantly have torn into him about his Scientology beliefs and his bathhouse experiences? NO. She would have talked to him about how much she loved his dancing, his latest film project, his loving wife Kelly and the kids. After that incident, and her lack of an apology, I washed my hands of her. She never was one of my favorites anyway.

by Anonymousreply 11802/26/2013

Most of these didn't ruin any celeb's career.

by Anonymousreply 11902/26/2013

Rosie lost her Queen of Nice reputation the moment an ex-employee revealed the 'Liars Get Cancer' bullying line in a court hearing (or was it a book?).

Yes, Rosie still had a career and personally I still like her for her opinions and beliefs, but she laid the Queen of Nice image to rest that day or moment.

by Anonymousreply 12002/26/2013

R1 Tommy Hilfiger never said anything like that. He did say something to the effect that people of color would be the majority and he was pleased to design for them.

I wonder did that Ralph Lauren put out that rumor about him? It seems so sleazy that an untruth could gain so much traction.

by Anonymousreply 12103/01/2013

Bunch of whoresaa.

by Anonymousreply 12207/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.