Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Starbucks horrible to work for?

I just sent in an application. Been unemployed for over 2 years and despite sending resumes out I can't find a job. I thought about going back to school but I really need my bank account built up again and health insurance. I heard that even only 20 hours makes you eligible for benefits.

by Anonymousreply 1002/24/2013

I've never worked for Starbucks. I've also heard about the benefits, etc. I applied at a local Starbucks over a month ago, and wasn't contacted. I do hope you get the job, OP. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 102/24/2013

I have a friend who has worked at Starbucks for a couple of months. He absolutely loathes it and will be quitting in a few weeks (fortunately, with another job secured).

OP, since you've been unemployed for a few years, I highly recommend that you not even entertain whether or not Starbucks is "horrible to work for." At this point, it's a job and even by working part time you'd be eligible for a benefits package. For what it's worth, my friend's main complaint is that the customers are fairly rude and impatient.

by Anonymousreply 202/24/2013

That's my main concern R2. I've gotten impatient at a few of the baristas before but one girl was on her own, someone was late, and another time their only machine was broken so I tried to be nice.

by Anonymousreply 302/24/2013

I'll also say that people who order fussy coffee drinks should expect a delay. When you're ordering a double venti frappucino macchiato double no-foam, soy whateverthefuck don't expect it to be quick.

by Anonymousreply 402/24/2013

I imagine some Starbucks are better than others. Hope yours is in a decent area with locals as opposed to tourists. My friends who have worked at Starbucks have mixed reviews. But more positive than negative. Good luck OP

by Anonymousreply 502/24/2013

It's like any other customer service job, except you get free coffee and they offer insurance to their employees over 20 hours. But the insurance isn't cheap, but it's OK cost wise.

by Anonymousreply 602/24/2013

[quote]they offer insurance to their employees over 20 hours. But the insurance isn't cheap, but it's OK cost wise.

And many find they are working 19.5 hours

by Anonymousreply 702/24/2013

The one near my house has a very friendly atmosphere and the staff sometimes hang out there on their off time. I hope you get the job and that it's a nice atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 802/24/2013

As someone who frequents Starfucks at least 5x a week I will say there seems to be a really big turnover. New faces ever few weeks. Seems like an awful place to work. Sometimes they have two people at the registers and one person making the drinks and, trust me, I wouldn't want to be that person. Then there's always another worker lurking around in the background doing nothing. The whole set up is a mess. No organization.

by Anonymousreply 902/24/2013

I read an article on How Not To Be A Dick In The Coffee Shop. The comments were interesting. A bunch of people said customers took money from the tip jar when they were short of money. What assholes

by Anonymousreply 1002/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!